• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's true and all. But, they kinda are an example of a bandwagon support. Their fans aren't all bandwagoners, but compare the support they had during last year at the height of Gemastu rumor running wild to the ESRB leak and Mewtwo being in the 50 facts Direct to Smash Ballot being announced.

The support has dropped significantly and while the Glee Club has their loyal fans the ones who were only with it because it HAS to be true went on to different places.

That's the thing, he isn't obscure BECAUSE of Melee. Lucas is same way
I know, I was explaining how Roy would be obscure without the veteran status, and that veteran status alone nets him enough popularity to be justified as DLC

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I know, I was explaining how Roy would be obscure without the veteran status, and that veteran status alone nets him enough popularity to be justified as DLC
That's kinds how it works.

How many people would want "the racing machine man from F-Zero" or "the psychic kid from that Mother thing" if they weren't in 64?

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Reminder that, for one thing, most people in the Smash fanbase aren't in a position to say what is and is not obscure. And for another, it's also not for anyone to say whether or not a DLC, popular or seemingly otherwise, "won't sell".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Reminder that, for one thing, what is and is not obscure is subjective. Not measurable fact. And for another, it's not for anyone to say whether or not a DLC, popular or seemingly otherwise, "won't sell".
ob·scure (ŏb-skyo͝or′, əb-)
adj. ob·scur·er, ob·scur·est
1. Deficient in light; dark: the obscure depths of a cave.
a. So faintly perceptible as to lack clear delineation; indistinct: an obscure figure in the fog.
b. Indistinctly heard; faint.
c. Linguistics Having the reduced, neutral sound represented by schwa (ə).
a. Far from centers of human population: an obscure village.
b. Out of sight; hidden: an obscure retreat.
4. Not readily noticed or seen; inconspicuous: an obscure flaw.
5. Of undistinguished or humble station or reputation: an obscure poet; an obscure family.
6. Not clearly understood or expressed; ambiguous or vague: Some say that Blake's style is obscure and complex. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
Huzzah for nerdiness! In this case, obscure requests are requests that are in a minority.
I'm pretty sure a Wolf mii costume won't sell unless we get Wolf

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I already tried moving from "obscure"

I switched to hidden gem.

tough crowd lol.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Reminder that, for one thing, most people in the Smash fanbase aren't in a position to say what is and is not obscure. And for another, it's also not for anyone to say whether or not a DLC, popular or seemingly otherwise, "won't sell".
So, are we in a position to say anything? First you say we aren't in the position to call stuff indie, and now we aren't in a position to call things obscure. And we also apparently can't say what sells well or not.

Are opinions or perspective not allowed? Can we not speculate?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't think obscure/not well known enough characters should be DLC. It's not likely someone like Lip, Vince, Mach Rider or someone will get in at this point but still.

Calane

Smash Ace
I would actually love for some "obscure" or "not extremely popular" characters to make it in as DLC. This is probably because I don't really want any of the most requested characters besides Isaac. Everyone else probably wouldn't hype me up at all. Someone like Bomberman (a character that's known, but not extremely requested) would be great, and I doubt many people would be upset at his inclusion.

From what I understand, the most popular characters are Wolf, K. Rool, Inklings and probably Snake. I don't care for any of these characters, so anyone who's NOT these characters would make me happy-ish...I guess. But the DLC isn't being made for me. I just hope that everyone gets what they want, or is at least satisfied with what we get. Obscure characters have no chance, but I sure wish they did. Only in a perfect world, I suppose.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I would actually love for some "obscure" or "not extremely popular" characters to make it in as DLC. This is probably because I don't really want any of the most requested characters besides Isaac. Everyone else probably wouldn't hype me up at all. Someone like Bomberman (a character that's known, but not extremely requested) would be great, and I doubt many people would be upset at his inclusion.

From what I understand, the most popular characters are Wolf, K. Rool, Inklings and probably Snake. I don't care for any of these characters, so anyone who's NOT these characters would make me happy-ish...I guess. But the DLC isn't being made for me. I just hope that everyone gets what they want, or is at least satisfied with what we get. Obscure characters have no chance, but I sure wish they did. Only in a perfect world, I suppose.
Ryu filled that thirst for me already, even if he was leaked.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any type of 'Wild Card' character is already in the game by this point.

DLC is gonna be regulated to popular choices and fan favorites.

I could see maybe one happening but it has to be in the reason like say Wonder Red or Medusa who doesn't have the popularity of most requested characters but is someone that people can easily get behind.

But outside of that, it's mostly gonna be popular request and characters from currently popular games
I don't know, the Hades fans would be pretty miffed if a "henchman" like her would make it as DLC over him. Though who's to say that another Uprising character isn't inevitable when Sakurai wants to bring as much life into the series as possible through Smash (or bias as the fanboys would say)?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I don't know, the Hades fans would be pretty miffed if a "henchman" like her would make it as DLC over him. Though who's to say that another Uprising character isn't inevitable when Sakurai wants to bring as much life into the series as possible through Smash (or bias as the fanboys would say)?
Medusa was the main villain in the first game too though unlike Hades who was just in the one game. Plus she had an animated short based on her, it was one out of I think 4

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I have some news for you: https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653233552511926272
The next Smash Bros DLC character IS NOT FROM FIGHTER BALLOT.
Ahaha.

Well, even before the leak it was safe to assume there are more non-ballot character/s coming.

:p
I'm a fan of both...and Viridi...and I want Medusa first because well, she is the original villain and I just like her more. Plus who doesn't want a giant Medusa head floating around as a final smash?!

However I do not expect more KI goodness for DLC, mainly because Pittoo and they don't seem to be getting much votes. But I would be super happy if ANY KI character got in as DLC.

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I have some news for you: https://twitter.com/SeanHicksART/status/653233552511926272
The next Smash Bros DLC character IS NOT FROM FIGHTER BALLOT.
That's vague. It's very unlikely to not have been voted on at all by anyone during the ballot, if he means that this character is a complete curve ball. It'd make more sense if he means that the character was planned regardless of the ballot results. Please be Wolf.

I don't think it will be an unpopular character, that's a waste of time in terms of getting the financial reward back.

Last edited:
Since I found this discussion interesting to read (but completely irrelevant to the thread it was previously in), I thought I'd bring it here. Just don't get super aggressive about it.

If you had to choose one or the other, who do you think is more likely and/or deserving to get into Smash Toad (Captain Toad) or Daisy? I'd rather not see either, but I think Toad would be more deserving.
Toad. Definitely.

(Why I don't get alerts from this thread anymore?)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
One reason I prefer the Chorus Kids as the Rhythm Heaven Rep is because if they did have the whole "Every move is Rhythm Based" gimmick, A character who looks like three is a perfect visual representation of that

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's going to be Wolf or Layton. I have high confidence that it'll be Wolf though.
I don't think its either, because if people are willing to believe Sean Hicks, you should also consider others who likely have the same info, namely Stealth, who said its not a third-party and not a veteran. Its a first-party newcomer. And honestly that should be the case. We already had both of the prior two, we need a first-party newcomer now.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
If Sean Hicks posted about it, what if its Banjo-Kazooie?

Bear with me on this one. Wasn't he the one who made the non-smashified render that people liked? Didn't Banjo's ballot peak hit towards the beginning?

What if he knows because someone reached out to him because he made that render.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Bear with me on this one. Wasn't he the one who made the non-smashified render that people liked? Didn't Banjo's ballot peak hit towards the beginning?

What if he knows because someone reached out to him because he made that render.
The character wasn't chosen based on the ballot though, Didn't he do Dixie too though? She makes more sense and fits the criteria better

Edit: Turns out he did do Dixie
http://seanhicks.tumblr.com/post/130148078764/this-is-the-eleventh-installment-of-smashified

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The character wasn't chosen based on the ballot though
That we know of. However, that doesn't mean their source can't be wrong, and the reason the character wasn't chosen "based on the ballot" is because the character has been in development since before the ballot closed (which doesn't mean the character wasn't based on the ballot).

That being said, numerous different people on Twitter seem to know the info. After the initial tweet by RogersBase, someone else named Stealth (who has been on JapanTime with Roger in the past) stated that its both a newcomer and a first-party. So its not likely Banjo at all.

It not being a ballot character sounds a lot like Wolf to me.
And its not likely Wolf either.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That we know of. However, that doesn't mean their source can't be wrong, and the reason the character wasn't chosen "based on the ballot" is because the character has been in development since before the ballot closed (which doesn't mean the character wasn't based on the ballot).

That being said, numerous different people on Twitter seem to know the info. After the initial tweet by RogersBase, someone else named Stealth (who has been on JapanTime with Roger in the past) stated that its both a newcomer and a first-party. So its not likely Banjo at all.

And its not likely Wolf either.
"Numerous different people on Twitter". You do realize that means ANYONE, right?

"Oh my gosh, guys, we're getting a new character soon not from the ballot! Trust me, I have a source!"

So if I make this a tweet, it suddenly becomes more credible?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

The character wasn't chosen based on the ballot though, Didn't he do Dixie too though? could be her

LISTEN UP YA SMASHY SODS! JUST CUZ SOMEONE'S LINKED TO A CHARACTER DOESN'T MEAN THE CHARACTERS ARE INVOLVED, YA HEAR ME?! VAANROSE IS LINKED TO GANONDORF BUT I DIDN'T SEE NO GANONDORF ON HIS LEAK NOW DID I?! Y'ALL NEED TO EAT MORE FISH, MAH NAN SAID IT'S GOOD FER YA BRAINS!
tldr: don't assume it's related to Smashified

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
"Numerous different people on Twitter". You do realize that means ANYONE, right?

"Oh my gosh, guys, we're getting a new character soon not from the ballot! Trust me, I have a source!"

If you're someone who's been credible in the past? Then yes

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

No, but several people seem to know who also are buddy-buddy with each other. RogersBase, Stealth, therealzef, and OfficialShofu (three of them were on the latest JapanTime, and Stealth has been on in the past). Now SeanHicks seems to have figured it out, too.

It could be an elaborate troll, but a hell of a lot of people seem to know this. And SeanHicks doesn't have any connections with the others either. SeanHicks also worded his statement very similar to Stealth's, he just didn't specifically say it wasn't a first-party newcomer.

It'd be one thing if this was all disjointed, but a lot of people seem to know this information, and several of them, again, work together in various things. SeanHicks is the first I've seen who apparently learned of it and isn't connected to JapanTime.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Roger stated that a lot of things Stealth said are not necessarily true in a tweet a little bit ago. If I wasn't on my phone, I'd link it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
We're all forgetting the important information about these leaks though, and that's that I don't personally have enough information on my end yet.

>:[
someone start talkin or start makin people start talkin.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Would that include second-party characters?

I'm asking because I recall somebody saying once that there isn't really such a thing as second party, that it was more of a fan term.
I don't think so. They're just counted as first-party.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Roger stated that a lot of things Stealth said are not necessarily true in a tweet a little bit ago. If I wasn't on my phone, I'd link it.
That's false, though. Roger didn't say they weren't true. He just said that he himself never said them.

https://twitter.com/RogersBase/status/653245838567714816

The problem is the MyNintendoNews article in question said that ROGER said these things. All Roger is saying is he didn't say them. He never said they weren't true.

https://twitter.com/MyNintendoNews/status/653222427250442241

The article cites Roger as the source. Roger said he didn't say them. Which I'm sure if Roger knew the info, he wouldn't want to be attributed as the person who leaked it.

The fact that SeanHicksArt said almost the exact same thing as Stealth several days later is what's really weird about this whole thing. (Steatlh even commented on it.)

Would that include second-party characters?

I'm asking because I recall somebody saying once that there isn't really such a thing as second party, that it was more of a fan term.
Second-party characters is a fan-base term. Isaac is owned by Nintendo, he's first-party.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I don't think they'd throw away their reputation just like that. But the info given by Stealth and the others is TOO vague. "Hey a new character is coming I have a source"

Sean however stated that the character will be released this month. Which is more of a statement. As to who it is it could either be Wolf or Inklings. But I don't see Wolf causing a social media buzz as much as the Inklings.

Or you know, this could all just be a troll, but then again, reputation.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm just gonna wait for them to announce who it is instead of throwing a guess out there. I'm just assuming it's going to be Inklings.

I still don't really get why everybody is freaking out still. A few people have said something on the internet with no proof of anything. Roger has even responded saying he didn't even say his info was Smash info. I don't know why people are acting as if it 100% is.

Not everything Nintendo does is Smash related.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Burruni Burruni , we've found the gold mine my friend. Anyway, it's possible that retailers are only now giving out download codes, as for the Amiibo, I'm confused, he specifically told me that Shovel Knight was coming to Smash and that he'd get his own Amiibo, so wouldn't that mean that there'd be a Shovel Knight series Amiibo and a Smash one?
...What gold mine?
It's more debunking of the SK rumor as far as I can see.
But yes, he'd get his own Amiibo and a Smash one.
I honestly still believe the character being mentioned is Ridley.
Why, though?
Why Ridley?
After Sakurai going from "He'd probably be impossible" in Brawl to "Ridley as a fighter would comrpomise his character" less than a year ago.
His popularity has taken a nosedive after the game came out and that was one of his strongest points as a candidate.
Edit: I can't remember who in the mess said this in particular, but they said that the character "wouldn't be a shock" that they got in.
RIDLEY GETTING IN THE GAME WOULD HAVE THIS SITE IMPLODE ON ITSELF FROM SHOCK AND SALT

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think they'd throw away their reputation just like that. But the info given by Stealth and the others is TOO vague. "Hey a new character is coming I have a source"

Sean however stated that the character will be released this month. Which is more of a statement. As to who it is it could either be Wolf or Inklings. But I don't see Wolf causing a social media buzz as much as the Inklings.

Or you know, this could all just be a troll, but then again, reputation.
Stealth said the character would be revealed "within the next week" the same day he said everything else.

https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/651458999532056576

I honestly still believe the character being mentioned is Ridley.
I can legitimately see that as a possibility, but I think K. Rool or Inkling are more likely. Tthe statement about "not being ballot" I think is just because they were started before the ballot closed, that's what many people already believe anyway--they couldn't have started ballot characters until the ballot actually ended (which I think is a ludicrous idea, they could easily use early ballot data).

The main problem I have with Inkling is the timing. I think they either would've had Inklings prepared to be released in time for Splatoon's launch, or planned them after Splatoon became a massive success, which probably would've taken a bit more time before they could work out all the details, and by E3 at least they undoubtedly had not planned Inklings.

K. Rool, on the other hand, they could've had concepts drawn up for him long before, and they knew he was overwhelming popular. When he received massive requests in the ballot as well, they could've immediately gotten to work on him after they finished the last batch of DLC characters (who were probably completed at least a month before they released).

From that standpoint I feel K. Rool is the more likely pick, but Inklings are certainly possible. Likewise, Ridley could work for the same reasons as K. Rool, but Sakurai's statements on Ridley simply force me to put him at a lower position by default. But I certainly no longer think its impossible.

...What gold mine?
It's more debunking of the SK rumor as far as I can see.
But yes, he'd get his own Amiibo and a Smash one.

Why, though?
Why Ridley?
After Sakurai going from "He'd probably be impossible" in Brawl to "Ridley as a fighter would comrpomise his character" less than a year ago.
His popularity has taken a nosedive after the game came out and that was one of his strongest points as a candidate.
Edit: I can't remember who in the mess said this in particular, but they said that the character "wouldn't be a shock" that they got in.
RIDLEY GETTING IN THE GAME WOULD HAVE THIS SITE IMPLODE ON ITSELF FROM SHOCK AND SALT
Yeah, this is another problem I have with Ridley. Ridley would definitely be a massive shock. Neither Inklings or K. Rool would be all that much of a shock at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom