• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do you prefer Ness or Marth? If you prefer Ness, buy Lucas. If you prefer Marth, buy Roy.

And if you don't know which one you prefer, buy Roy.
I have both Lucas and Roy. I love them!

I kinda wish Nintendo would make an anniversary or deluxe edition of Smash with all veterans and all past stages from 64, Melee, Brawl, and SSB4... and add about 20 newcomers and about 40 new stages.

That would be awesome.

I kinda wish Nintendo would make an anniversary or deluxe edition of Smash with all veterans and all past stages from 64, Melee, Brawl, and SSB4... and add about 20 newcomers and about 40 new stages.

That would be awesome.
Yes, it would, but sadly it will (most likely) never happen...

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep

That would be awesome.
That would take up an unpredictably long time that by the time it's done the anniversary might be already over

Or in other words, not likely at all.

Would like to see that tho

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but I guess I have to try. So I bought Ryu recently and there's this enough money to buy one of the other two DLC characters. Now who should I get: Roy or Lucas? TIA ^_^
Depends. Do you want a rushdown brawler, or a crafty zoner?

Both are very fun. I recommend whichever character's playstyle you reckon you'd have more of an impetus to play.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So...there's a server maintenance on the 31st.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status_interim.jsp

It is during the same hours that the last DLC patch. Apparently, non DLC maintenances have been scheduled differently than the DLC ones.

It's just the day before The Phantom Pain so Snake confirmed.

Here's hoping for more overall buffs and another single frame nerf to rolls.
Smash bros is getting a maintience hmmmm

Sounds like we are close to content pack 4

They add stuff so they are prepared for the next pack early

Well probably for sure character buffs and nerfs

Correct me if im reading the maintence wrong.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Smash bros is getting a maintience hmmmm

Sounds like we are close to content pack 4

They add stuff so they are prepared for the next pack early

Well probably for sure character buffs and nerfs

Correct me if im reading the maintence wrong.
Not sure, but you definitely spelt maintenance wrong.

It's not entirely confirmed that we must be getting another content pack, but if it's tied near some gaming expo there is one possibility so

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure, but you definitely spelt maintenance wrong.

It's not entirely confirmed that we must be getting another content pack, but if it's tied near some gaming expo there is one possibility so
I know i spelt maintenance wrong language and writing is not my strong subject

But if is adding pack 4 early.

DON'T READ ANY NEWS ON DATA DIGGING ON THAT MAINTENCE UNDER ANY SURCOMSTANCES!!!!

(Thats how roy and ryu got revealed before the offical thing.)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know i spelt maintenance wrong language and writing is not my strong subject

But if is adding pack 4 early.

DON'T READ ANY NEWS ON DATA DIGGING ON THAT MAINTENCE UNDER ANY SURCOMSTANCES!!!!

(Thats how roy and ryu got revealed before the offical thing.)
You mean avoid the internet at all costs?

News spreads faster than wildfire....

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What are your guys thoughts on the Shovel Knight amiibo? Now that it's been confirmed, does this help or hurt his chances? I say they hurt, since I can't fathom a 3rd party getting 2 different amiibo.
I thought this confirmed the rumor as fake but

The leaker is claiming that the amiibo is real but he saids hes still coming in as a character

So not entirely dead yet.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What are your guys thoughts on the Shovel Knight amiibo? Now that it's been confirmed, does this help or hurt his chances? I say they hurt, since I can't fathom a 3rd party getting 2 different amiibo.
It's a bit of a mixed bag.

On one hand, Shovel Knight is apparently considered noteworthy enough to get a unique amiibo figure based off of him. More support and recognition from Nintendo is nice, I suppose.

On the other hand, though, this amiibo clearly has no association with Smash, which strongly suggests that there are no current plans to add Shovel Knight to the roster as DLC. We also have no idea whether the creation of this amiibo will actually affect Sakurai's choices for DLC in any way.

Personally, I'd say it hurts his chances more than it helps, as it more or less ruled out the possibility of him already being decided on. That's not to say he couldn't be added in the future, but it doesn't seem like he's in yet, and even with the new amiibo, there's no indication that Sakurai's strict third-party criteria has changed.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
On one hand, The Shovel Knight amiibo isn't part of the Smash lineup, while it doesn't deconfirm him, it also doesn't mean that he will be coming to Smash since it's unrelated....On the other hand, Yacht Club is building a tighter relation with Nintendo if they got approved for an amiibo which is pretty huge for an Indie company...but...he's still third party, one that is still fairly new the gaming world...There are other established third parties out there that most see as unlikely for smash because they don't live up to the standards we've seen so far, let alone one that is an Indie
[:4greninja:'d]

Here's the thing, if Nintendo were to add a 'new to the gaming world' character to the Smash lineup, why wouldn't they do it with one of their own IP's, (yes, I am referring to the Inklings) rather than a character that isn't owned by Nintendo?...The Inklings, based on my observations, have a better, more consistent, support in the Ballot than Shovel Knight does, especially after Splatoon's release and seemingly overnight success...as well as helping to keep the Wii U a relevant system...

While I'm not saying 'Shovel Knight shouldn't get in over the Inklings,' it does raise a few other questions...

Last edited:

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
I think some of you don't realize how dealerships work. Nintendo hasn't graced YCG by making an Amiibo for them because their game is so cool.

Nintendo is allowing and manufacturing the Amiibo as a result of payments/exclusivity contracts/dealerships in general.

Its pretty much an investment for YCG. Of course the performance of the game helped, by guaranteeing Nintendo a degree of benefit and public image.

Logo12

Smash Lord
If you mean by "how do I feel about the amiibo" it'd obviously be "WHY THE HECK IS NINTENDO DOING THIS THEY DON'T EVEN DESERVE IT" but if you mean by how it affects its chance...

I seriously don't know. (duh)

This is like the King K Rool costume thing (in shocking factor and in affect factor) except the situation is in reverse. This really helps Shovel Knight, but we won't know how much.

In one way you can say now Nintendo does care about them and give them Indies free stuff, but we can't say the same for Smash. Smash is a very big stage for the Nintendo (and friends) stars, and if Indie reps really got in, I'd personally say it's freaking messed up. Amiibo is, well just some toy that unlocks feature. There are already many amiibo outside those in Smash, to the extent that mediocre NPCs can have them too (Animal Crossing for example), but speaking of these third party indie getting one... it's really shocking.

The amiibo itself might hint into Nintendo giving Indies chances, and that's probably it. It really doesn't work in a way that it will make a certain character instantly confirmed or the other way round, since for confirmation's side, the release before actual announcement is way to suspicious to begin with, while for the deconfirmation's side, the amiibo not in Smash's line only means it's not planned (like Inklings' costume as I said way earlier in RTC), but not it's decided against.

While Smash news stars like PushDustIn and Etika are so hyped about Shovel Knight happening (Same happened with the "End of Ballot" and the "Mii Costume deconfirms K Rool" arguments), Etika went one step further and asked: "Who is more likely, Shovel Knight or King K Rool?"

I again,... I'm not too sure.

One side is someone who's extremely popular and got a big hit on their possibility, and one side is someone who's regarded negligible for Smash but got a sudden prove of significance. While K Rool's side it got a 30% cut in chance according to the oh-so-balanced RTC, I'd say Shovel Knight wouldn't boost up the same amount, of course. Now that Indies are receiving some... mention, I'd say their chance is same as insert-mediocre-support-3rd-party-here, or something around 7%. A real boost. woohoo.

But here's the deal. It's not exactly the numbers that matters. While these might reflect the possibility of a certain thing happening, what's to see is the possibilities we have. We don't know what either the costume or the amiibo means, either that "They know the popularity of the characters so they made a preparation", or "They won't go further so here's a consolation". Or maybe the possibilities in between: "They know the popularity of the characters and that's it", or "They are not planning to have them at the moment", which doesn't contribute to the chance change at all.

One extra thing to consider though, is that it's Yacht Club who made this whole thing, Nintendo just approved it. Not sure why this even can end up as an amiibo, so there you go.

If you know me enough I wouldn't like to see either of these happening. So when chances are to be talked about, I'm just here, fearing that these happen over what I think would be better. But sure, the fear might just covered my judging abilities, over-projecting the possibilities of unlikely-yet-scary things happening.

Any offense not intended.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I haven't played Shovel Knight yet(It looks pretty good.), but I don't really think he should be in Smash. I agree with a good amount of points @ SmashChu SmashChu brought up in his previous posts. I'm interested in Shovel Knight, I really am, but I don't think he should be included in Smash.

That's my take on this mess. I'm out.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Shovel Knight Amiibo is cool but..
It unlocks a Co-Op mode, that's not something that should be locked to the figure

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While Smash news stars like PushDustIn and Etika are so hyped about Shovel Knight happening (Same happened with the "End of Ballot" and the "Mii Costume deconfirms K Rool" arguments), Etika went one step further and asked: "Who is more likely, Shovel Knight or King K Rool?"
The fact this question exists shows that speculating on the SSB4 roster is even more unpredictable than we thought before E3 2013.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
The fact this question exists shows that speculating on the SSB4 roster is even more unpredictable than we thought before E3 2013.
I think it shows that K. Rool and Shovel Knight are the characters that will bring more viewers to Etika's channel.

An often overlooked aspect about rumors is marketing. Both for companies and individuals like Etika or Tamaki. Controversial characters will bring more attention. I mean, Tamaki in particular loves to drop statements like "oh guys if you knew what I know..."

There's a reason why Yatch Club won't say "Shovel Knight isn't in Smash" because letting the rumors exist is free marketing. Same with Wayforward's "see you in Smash".

Many people benefit from fake rumors running around.

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
If I recall, Nintendo didn't make the Shovel Knight Amiibo, but rather Yacht Club Games.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Shovel Knight Amiibo is cool but..
It unlocks a Co-Op mode, that's not something that should be locked to the figure
It also unlocks several additional features including a customization system.
I think it shows that K. Rool and Shovel Knight are the characters that will bring more viewers to Etika's channel.

An often overlooked aspect about rumors is marketing. Both for companies and individuals like Etika or Tamaki. Controversial characters will bring more attention. I mean, Tamaki in particular loves to drop statements like "oh guys if you knew what I know..."

There's a reason why Yatch Club won't say "Shovel Knight isn't in Smash" because letting the rumors exist is free marketing. Same with Wayforward's "see you in Smash".

Many people benefit from fake rumors running around.
Actually, Yacht Club did say something like that recently: https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/635293217177468929

They didn't outright say he won't be in Smash (obviously they still hope he can make it in), but did say that at this point he isn't.

Apparently, Yacht Club are in charge of both production and distribution of the Amiibo. Source
Yeah, Nintendo is only licensing the name and tech to Yacht Club, but they are responsible for distributing it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The Shovel Knight amiibo is a third-party product endorsed by Nintendo and distributed by Yacht Club.

Nintendo has essentially told Yacht Club they can use the amiibo name and technology, but the impetus is on them to create it and sell it.

If it was a Smash amiibo, it'd be a first-party product using a third-party IP.

It's like when a third-party company creates a controller for a Nintendo platform: Nintendo endorses development of the product, but the company itself manufactures and distributes it.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Nintendo has said they'd be happy with third party amiibo, just so you guys know
I mean...Sonic, Megaman, Pacman are technically still third party....

However I can see other IPs outside of Smash such as Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Bayonetta possibly getting their own amiibos as well...maybe Rayman as well...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Have a feeling any maintenance is going to be extremely minor. There is no hyping up of it, or even any acknowledgement by Sakurai. The best to hope for (I don't care to know) is some poor programmer forgets to remove content again.

Don't think we'll hear anything until the ballot closes.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hurts. Consider this. If he was in Smash, we'd have to assume that it would have been decided by now (as it leaked), so it wouldn't make sense to make a separate amiibo because the Smash line would sell better and it would be redundant and inefficient. Non reason to have two amiibos. So two amiibos doesn't make sense, and we have an amiibo already, and since they won't have two amiibos, there can't be another one in the works and there is no leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom