• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's put it this way; RIDLEY is more likely than Shovel Knight now because of the SK amiibo. At least Ridley has no other amiibo to make a hypothetical Smash 4 one redundant.
At least Shovel Knight has no other role in the game to make it impossible. At least shovel knight doesn't have a director outright saying it wont happen.

Ridley is my 2nd most wanted but I have to totally disagree

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hurts. Consider this. If he was in Smash, we'd have to assume that it would have been decided by now (as it leaked), so it wouldn't make sense to make a separate amiibo because the Smash line would sell better and it would be redundant and inefficient. Non reason to have two amiibos. So two amiibos doesn't make sense, and we have an amiibo already, and since they won't have two amiibos, there can't be another one in the works and there is no leak.
This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to. At the very least, this confirms Shovel Knight is not in development at this time. The leaks were full of crap and were only reliant on the retailers having a Shovel Knight Amiibo ready to go on preorder (they claim there are other sources, but that's a fallacy).

Likewise, GameXplain's Ash got a tip that SK would be revealed at PAX Prime for Smash. That's blatantly false just from the Amiibo alone; if he was going to be revealed at PAX Prime, he most likely would've been released last night. And even if that wasn't the case, even if by some miracle he were to be announced later, they would not announce him for Smash after the Amiibo was announced.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is pretty much the conclusion I've come to. At the very least, this confirms Shovel Knight is not in development at this time. The leaks were full of crap and were only reliant on the retailers having a Shovel Knight Amiibo ready to go on preorder (they claim there are other sources, but that's a fallacy).

Likewise, GameXplain's Ash got a tip that SK would be revealed at PAX Prime for Smash. That's blatantly false just from the Amiibo alone; if he was going to be revealed at PAX Prime, he most likely would've been released last night. And even if that wasn't the case, even if by some miracle he were to be announced later, they would not announce him for Smash after the Amiibo was announced.
So I went to the original Nintendo Everything article and this is what it had to say.

Nintendo Life heard the apparent news from “multiple sources within the video game retail sector”. However, Shovel Knight’s inclusion in the games has of course not been confirmed (or denied) at this time.
Retailer wouldn't know about Smash DLC because, besides the amiibo, the DLC doesn't go to retailers. amiibos do go to retail and there have been leaks of amiibos through retailers (like Shovel Knight, in fact). Therefore, the rumor was about the existence of the Shovel Knight amiibo, not about the Smash Brothers DLC. I think the guy from Unseen 64 and even the tipster assumed this meant he was coming for Smash. I think this is a case of cognitive bias.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So I went to the original Nintendo Everything article and this is what it had to say.

Retailer wouldn't know about Smash DLC because, besides the amiibo, the DLC doesn't go to retailers. amiibos do go to retail and there have been leaks of amiibos through retailers (like Shovel Knight, in fact). Therefore, the rumor was about the existence of the Shovel Knight amiibo, not about the Smash Brothers DLC. I think the guy from Unseen 64 and even the tipster assumed this meant he was coming for Smash. I think this is a case of cognitive bias.
I agree. I think this was all revolving around the Amiibo, but supposedly Tamaki had a different source other than just retailers. Nintendo Life, on the other hand, only cited retailers. They probably heard "Shovel Knight Amiibo" from other retailers and assumed it was the exact same listing as the one that said Smash.

Its also notable that people tweeted Yacht Club after the fact and again tried to claim Yacht Club lied about this update, but they stated quite clearly after the fact that they said the Amiibo listing was fake because it was a Smash line Amiibo, not because they weren't producing an Amiibo.

Before the Amiibo listing was true I noticed as well that they primarily cited "retailers," and I kept thinking "Ok, what? Retailers wouldn't know anything about DLC, but an Amiibo they would." Unless it was specifically a Smash Amiibo line, but we had no evidence that was the case, and it was extremely unlikely to be the case because we didn't yet have confirmed Ryu, Roy, or Lucas listings (and its now been proven to not be the case at all).

I don't think we will get confirmations of Ryu, Roy, and Lucas until the remaining DLC characters are announced, either, so they can make up the last wave of the Smash Amiibo line.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Urrrrgh, we're so STARVED for an update by now!

I just want to know who the next up and coming character is! I'm so excited!

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I agree. I think this was all revolving around the Amiibo, but supposedly Tamaki had a different source other than just retailers. Nintendo Life, on the other hand, only cited retailers. They probably heard "Shovel Knight Amiibo" from other retailers and assumed it was the exact same listing as the one that said Smash.

Its also notable that people tweeted Yacht Club after the fact and again tried to claim Yacht Club lied about this update, but they stated quite clearly after the fact that they said the Amiibo listing was fake because it was a Smash line Amiibo, not because they weren't producing an Amiibo.

Before the Amiibo listing was true I noticed as well that they primarily cited "retailers," and I kept thinking "Ok, what? Retailers wouldn't know anything about DLC, but an Amiibo they would." Unless it was specifically a Smash Amiibo line, but we had no evidence that was the case, and it was extremely unlikely to be the case because we didn't yet have confirmed Ryu, Roy, or Lucas listings (and its now been proven to not be the case at all).
Yeah, apparently there's some "individual that has been proven as a legitimate source of information" who's the primary source for this. They claim that he's a full playable character and will be announced in the next few months.

They also said that the amiibo image that was leaked was "not final", even though it is. I guess they were trying to imply that the final one will be Smash-themed since people were questioning that. But we know now that the amiibo is pretty entirely Yacht Club's doing and has been planned for like a year (we saw the concept art and everything). Nintendo is only licensing it.

PushDustIn and Neo Zero are vouching for the "leak", but I don't believe it for a second.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
I just can't imagine Sakurai and his team developing a character whom most of them have probably never heard about.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think it means Miyamoto was involved in the product review process, which Valesco was honoured by.

EDIT: By which I mean, Valesco seems to be extremely happy that he got to work with Miyamoto. I think his comment is sincere, but with a tongue-in-cheek tone to it - "I mean, yeah, he didn't like the idea, but MIYAMOTO, MAN! Who'd be a better person to tell you your idea doesn't work than the Godfather of Vidya himself?!"

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok 29th

Still no announcements so far for smash

Because of a maintence talking could happen before it.

If they don't unfortunatly the data shovelers will do it again on spoiling stuff.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think it means Miyamoto was involved in the product review process, which Valesco was honoured by.

EDIT: By which I mean, Valesco seems to be extremely happy that he got to work with Miyamoto. I think his comment is sincere, but with a tongue-in-cheek tone to it - "I mean, yeah, he didn't like the idea, but MIYAMOTO, MAN! Who'd be a better person to tell you your idea doesn't work than the Godfather of Vidya himself?!"
Some days you can't trust Miyamoto. Remember Wii Music and his ideas for Sticker Star.

Shiggy is always looking for trouble

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Some days you can't trust Miyamoto. Remember Wii Music and his ideas for Sticker Star.

Shiggy is always looking for trouble
.....urgh, let me just explain for SS because tbh, I kinda not like how it gets into factual error.

First, the actual idea of using sticker was IS, not Myamoto. All Myamoto said was that the game felt too much like TTYD and so it;s for some reasons bad. Sure, you could claim that it;s the opposite of what people wanted, but you also have to consider that the communication of nintendo wasn;t really good at the time. Heck, cuting the story had more to do with club nintendo than Myamoto. And I guess the partners just HAD to be cut considering this.

To me, nintendo's communication is more to blame than Myamoto alone. In fact, the only thing I think Myamoto did that he shouldn;t have done was basically shifting the project in the first place. No matter how I see it, it's a big reasons why the game got this much rushed and so much assets was used weirdly.

The communication does seems to resolves as time passes, but Myamoto tbh, that's what we are waiting if he actually got that error. With paper jam, I think it would look good in the future.

Sorry, but I had to say this.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I don't know about you guys n gals BUUUT.... I've grown tired of waiting for more DLC info announcement for SSB4
:colorful:
I think it would kinda be nice to have to look forward to, don't you think?

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I don't know about you guys n gals BUUUT.... I've grown tired of waiting for more DLC info announcement for SSB4
:colorful:
I think it would kinda be nice to have to look forward to, don't you think?
Yeah, i suppose everyone thinks so.

Having surprise is another thing, but just the lack of at least some stuff to look forward to.... :/

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, apparently there's some "individual that has been proven as a legitimate source of information" who's the primary source for this. They claim that he's a full playable character and will be announced in the next few months.

They also said that the amiibo image that was leaked was "not final", even though it is. I guess they were trying to imply that the final one will be Smash-themed since people were questioning that. But we know now that the amiibo is pretty entirely Yacht Club's doing and has been planned for like a year (we saw the concept art and everything). Nintendo is only licensing it.

PushDustIn and Neo Zero are vouching for the "leak", but I don't believe it for a second.
They were saying it was "not final" to try and prove it could be a Smash Amiibo, but its "not final" because ALL Amiibo are said to be "not final" when they're first shown off. That's because the final quality may vary.

It's too vague to say that. If the Shovel Knight amiibo was supposedly rejected, why is it followed by "that's the greatest honor of my life."?

Miyamoto rejected one of the Shovel Knight prototypes. And yes, they did say "that was the honor of my life" because they were ecstatic that the father of video games shot down their prototype. I did read an article that stated this (which I thought was on Yacht Club's site, but I didn't see that).

Ok 29th

Still no announcements so far for smash

Because of a maintence talking could happen before it.

If they don't unfortunatly the data shovelers will do it again on spoiling stuff.
At this point if there's an announcement, its going to be ON Monday.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So the ballot closes in October... and we haven't gotten any character since July 14. If we don't get any character soon before the ballot, then I think that the top 3 or 4 choices will become characters and no more "pre-ballot_ characters are going to be made.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So the ballot closes in October... and we haven't gotten any character since July 14. If we don't get any character soon before the ballot, then I think that the top 3 or 4 choices will become characters and no more "pre-ballot_ characters are going to be made.
....that wouldn't be much surprising that it was done since awhile tbh.

I mean, there was that Sakurai quote that kinda implied it, but there is also that SK leak that implies it too. Add to the fact that the ballot will soon ends, it just isn't much surprising.

Like, the ONLY way I feel SK would've been chosen is the ballot. i don;t feel it was even planned....

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I sincerely doubt SK will get in. If SK were pre-ballot, then he wouldn't have gotten a third party amiibo, he would'e gotten a smash amiibo. The only way he can get in is by his votes in the ballot, and even then that is no guarantee as the ballot could really just be suggestions for Sakurai.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I sincerely doubt SK will get in. If SK were pre-ballot, then he wouldn't have gotten a third party amiibo, he would'e gotten a smash amiibo. The only way he can get in is by his votes in the ballot, and even then that is no guarantee as the ballot could really just be suggestions for Sakurai.
.....you just completely said the exact same thing as I said :)

But it;s just because I find the leak likely real so it implies that I think it's another reasons for thinking that preballot is done (tbh, I think it's done without the leak though).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I forgot Cooking Mama by the way. Woops:

* Cooking Mama
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll399524x9E0Aa4C6-15

There's also the gear, and the 3DS gets Challenge Mode. I doubt that's all Nintendo's getting though as the amiibo was planned for a year

It also unlocks several additional features including a customization system.
Yeah I know it unlocks those things too, and they are great but I'm talking about a Local Co-Op mode here, THAT should not be a thing you have to unlock

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Are Indie games even popular in Japan? I know that over here in the west, they are becoming pretty big. In Japan, however, I have the feeling that their popularity is very little if any at all really.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Chances are Sakurai was putting a lot of work into creating the first batch of content; the game's launch kept everyone, naturally, interested in the base content. There was a large gap in between release and the first batch of Smash DLC news post-Smash Direct. That's probably what we're seeing now. Iwata's death, leading to the relative uncertainty of Nintendo Directs, probably only exacerbates our lack of information.

Troykv

Smash Master
Are Indie games even popular in Japan? I know that over here in the west, they are becoming pretty big. In Japan, however, I have the feeling that their popularity is very little if any at all really.
Cave Story (but is a Japanese game).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Western indies don't have much of a following, yeah, but it's because the games haven't been translated and released there. Indie games (which are called 'doujin' games there) are a big market over there, and have considerable following.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

This. I can't be the only one who remembers when "sources" were claiming that Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo and the Chorus Kids were 100% in the base 3DS game last year, and people playing leaked copies of the game just hadn't unlocked them yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This. I can't be the only one who remembers when "sources" were claiming that Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo and the Chorus Kids were 100% in the base 3DS game last year, and people playing leaked copies of the game just hadn't unlocked them yet.
It's hard to say what kind of sources they were, but that one had some of the better people here fooled... Odd.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Has anyone considered that they could put Shovel Knight in Super Smash Bros., have his official art be exactly like his Amiibo, and then make the Amiibo compatible with Super Smash Bros.?

(Though that wouldn't not be possible if you had to code the game functionality into the Amiibo rather than the other way around.)

Just a thought.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Has anyone considered that they could put Shovel Knight in Super Smash Bros., have his official art be exactly like his Amiibo, and then make the Amiibo compatible with Super Smash Bros.?

(Though that wouldn't not be possible if you had to code the game functionality into the Amiibo rather than the other way around.)

Just a thought.
Yeah, of course.

It's just odd that he'd be the first non-Smash amiibo to work in, well, Smash.

But then again, he's also the first third-party amiibo.

Precedent must be set somewhere...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's hard to say what kind of sources they were, but that one had some of the better people here fooled... Odd.
My recollection is that at least one of the sources was a Japanese industry official, verified by multiple moderators on here. Whoever it was had a lot of them so convinced that, even after the "All characters unlocked!" message was seen in-game, those mods were coyly prancing around various threads, claiming that those four characters were still coming as Wii U DLC that could then be transferred onto the 3DS.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
My recollection is that at least one of the sources was a Japanese industry official, verified by multiple moderators on here. Whoever it was had a lot of them so convinced that, even after the "All characters unlocked!" message was seen in-game, those mods were coyly prancing around various threads, claiming that those four characters were still coming as Wii U DLC that could then be transferred onto the 3DS.
Huh, I don't recall that at all, I just remember some guy posted on 4Chan that those characters were in the game along with the characters in the Ninka leak (before pictures got leaked out) then his post got resurfaced after the pictures were leaked and a bunch of people believed him for no good reason.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Huh, I don't recall that at all, I just remember some guy posted on 4Chan that those characters were in the game along with the characters in the Ninka leak (before pictures got leaked out) then his post got resurfaced after the pictures were leaked and a bunch of people believed him for no good reason.
There were a few people, mods included, who had contacted the source and maintained it was kosher.

Weird times, but hey, what better did any of us - mod or otherwise - know? :3

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom