• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
no one has explained to me why the amiibo kills shovel kngiht changes and why him getting in is such a bad thing
The Amiibo isn't part of the Smash lineup first of all, that's the main point...which may mean nothing in reality as some Mario characters have multiple Amiibos, however it could also mean that there was no intent on adding Shovel Knight into the Smash roster...
I can't speak for everyone but I personally find Shovel Knight to be very uninteresting overall...

Salty reactions don't last forever.
Eventually, people will have to calm.

:4darkpit:
Difference is, Dark Pit was a last-minute clone. Shovel Knight is a third-party, who isn't nearly as iconic as the ones already in Smash, whose game wasn't released in Japan (yet), he would have an unique moveset, which means that he actually takes development time (unlike DP), and people would have to pay in order to play as him (again, unlike DP).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Difference is, Dark Pit was a last-minute clone. Shovel Knight is a third-party, who isn't nearly as iconic as the ones already in Smash, whose game wasn't released in Japan, he would have an unique moveset, which means that he actually takes development time (unlike DP), and people would have to pay in order to play as him (again, unlike DP).
Therein lies the true difference, there is no reason to be salty. If one does not appreciate Shovel Knight, the solution is to not purchase the character. Dark Pit was forced upon us and we have to stare at his roster icon every single time we start a match.

Therein lies the true difference, there is no reason to be salty. If one does not appreciate Shovel Knight, the solution is to not purchase the character. Dark Pit was forced upon us and we have to stare at his roster icon every single time we start a match.
That's right. But even if the people who dislike him/his inclusion won't buy him, they'd still (most likely) be salty about him.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
The Amiibo isn't part of the Smash lineup first of all, that's the main point...which may mean nothing in reality as some Mario characters have multiple Amiibos, however it could also mean that there was no intent on adding Shovel Knight into the Smash roster...
I can't speak for everyone but I personally find Shovel Knight to be very uninteresting overall...
Nothing is saying that he can't have 2 amiibos.One for smash and one for other games.The odds of that happening are small but i say shovel knight has a solid 50% change of getting it as of this moment

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Watch out, someone'll whine 'but it's there!' To that, I say this. If it's optional and has been developed later than the game came out, you can tell it's genuine service

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So the SK leak was proven false right?

.............right?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Eh, he still feels lazy
Like holy cow, you make his jumps a bit better, you give him the attacking ^B as a default and then you make all his attacks in the air do more damage than Pit's and you have a character who plays the same but a different approach and people would complain a lot less because didn't make a clone with FOUR. GODAMN. DIFFERENCES.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Like holy cow, you make his jumps a bit better, you give him the attacking ^B as a default and then you make all his attacks in the air do more damage than Pit's and you have a character who plays the same but a different approach and people would complain a lot less because didn't make a clone with FOUR. GODAMN. DIFFERENCES.
That sounds really broken, man.

Like, damn, why would you ever need to play Vanilla Pit?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
That sounds really broken, man.

Like, damn, why would you ever need to play Vanilla Pit?
You make Pit do more damage than Dark Pit does on the ground

Pit does more on the ground
D.Pit does more in the air

And Dark Pit's Up B would have less range than Pit's that's why his normal jumps go a bit higher, it all balances out

Vanilla is boring. It's why Chocolate Floor Ice Cream wins
It's actually DARK Vanilla

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You make Pit do more damage than Dark Pit does on the ground

Pit does more on the ground
D.Pit does more in the air

And Dark Pit's Up B would have less range than Pit's that's why his normal jumps go a bit higher, it all balances out
I don't think Dark Pit would require better jumps, since the trade-off is that his recovery projects a hitbox, but it makes sense otherwise.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603

My salt with :4wiifit:, :4greninja:, and :4duckhunt: has pretty much passed.

Dark Salt is forever, though.
I don't think Dark Pit would require better jumps, since the trade-off is that his recovery projects a hitbox, but it makes sense otherwise.
His recovery doesn't project a hitbox.
Said salt of mine comes from how little is different between him and Pit. They're the biggest clones of Smash 4 by far. Even Lucina has more fundamental differences through her untipped sword properties alone.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My salt with :4wiifit:, :4greninja:, and :4duckhunt: has pretty much passed.

Dark Salt is forever, though.

His recovery doesn't project a hitbox.
Said salt of mine comes from how little is different between him and Pit. They're the biggest clones of Smash 4 by far. Even Lucina has more fundamental differences through her untipped sword properties alone.
Wintropy mains Pit, she knows this. She was talking about Dusty's idea

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Could someone explain the difference between a 2nd party company and a 3rd party company to me? I heard someone say maybe Yacht Club could become a 2nd party company and I didn't understand it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Could someone explain the difference between a 2nd party company and a 3rd party company to me? I heard someone say maybe Yacht Club could become a 2nd party company and I didn't understand it.
They'd be like Game Freak where they're (possibly partially) owned by the platform holder (Nintendo) and most of what they produce (Pokemon (GF) and Shovel Knight(YCG)) will be exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't mean to be rude, but...

I enter tournaments with Pit. I know that.

As Ryuga said, I was referring to Dusty's concept.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
1st-party is an internal part of Nintendo that performs completely under every breath of Nintendo itself. The Nintendo EAD teams are these.

2nd-party is an outsourced company that works almost exclusively for Nintendo. Game Freak, Monolith Soft, and Intelligent Systems are examples of these.

3rd-party is a company independent of Nintendo altogether, like Capcom and Sega.
I don't mean to be rude, but...

I enter tournaments with Pit. I know that.

As Ryuga said, I was referring to Dusty's concept.
I missed out on what you were originally responding to. I lacked context, so my apologies.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
After a lot of thinking today, I'm going to hold my judgement on this Shovel Knight stuff for right now.

While I believe there are several more deserving 3rd party characters, it would appear that Nintendo has a lot of hope in Shovel Knight. The fact that he has an amiibo shows that. I would argue that this makes almost any other Indie character unlikely. Shovel Knight is a huge figure in Indie, and he's got an amiibo at this point. If that's all he's got, that probably won't look too good for others.

On the prospect of him in Smash...again, there are more deserving 3rd parties. That said, I've never played Shovel Knight. I might feel different about it if I play the game. If he truly is the ballot winner, then kudos to Nintendo for staying true to something this significant.

Once again, however, that said there best be other DLC characters coming. The "last" character (unless we get more than 2 more DLC characters) best be somebody that many many many many people asked for. That would mean K.Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Snake, Inklings or somebody in the Top 10. The salt will be truly real if some of these characters are continually ignored.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Also give him some different apparel to wear so he doesn't just look like a Pit recolor, give him a suit.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's time for brace yourselves, because...

A SHOVEL KNIGHT AMIIBO APPEARS!! NOT FAKE, REALLY!!
Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/08/27/shovel-knight-amiibo-outed-by-retailer

Could this rumor about Shovel Knight in Smash to be confirmed?
It would be the other way around. This deconfirms the rumor. Of course, this is what I was saying along and it made the most sense. Besides all the reasons Shovel Knight is a bad choice as a Smash character, its unlikely they would reveal an amiibo for the Smash character before announcing the Smash character. Its done. Time to move on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It would be the other way around. This deconfirms the rumor. Of course, this is what I was saying along and it made the most sense. Besides all the reasons Shovel Knight is a bad choice as a Smash character, its unlikely they would reveal an amiibo for the Smash character before announcing the Smash character. Its done. Time to move on.
"It's unlikely they'd reveal an unrelated amiibo to a character that's in Smash before announcing him in Smash, so he's clearly not in. Get over it."

...? Wat?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Exeeeeeeept. Many characters have more than one Amiibo, and we don't know that this is the only one. So that brings us back toooooooo... knowing absolutely nothing.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The shovel knight amiibo wasn't revealed it was leaked...we still don't know what else is planned to go with the amiibo during its intended reveal...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to mention that there are apparently people backing the original rumors that he's in Smash.

We don't know what's going on. We've all made predictions before about characters. This one may not be any different in that we're wrong and he IS playable. At this point I wouldn't be surprised.

Is Shovel Knight the most deserving 3rd party? I'd say no. Is he a "bad choice"? I would also say no to that.

Sure, we say "OH WHAT A BAAAAD CHOICE! WTF NINTENDO!" before we see what they do. But he might be a hell of a lot of fun to play as. Isn't that what matters?

I mean if he's a stupid character in game, then yeah I'd be a bit miffed. I still want Snake to come back over him, but it is what it is. If Shovel Knight is in, then we have to deal with that. That's that lol.

EDIT: I bolded that one part because despite all the talking we do about character choices, lets think hard about it. Post reveal, does anybody REALLY give a **** about any of this? I thought Robin was a bad choice before playing him. Then I didn't care why he got picked over Chrom because he was FUN.

Granted you could say that about literally any character. But to disregard a character because "X REASONS" is stupid when you know the potential outcome.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know why everyone is up in arms about this. Super Smash Bros. is a game made for other people to have fun with. What better way to make the game more fun than to add a character that many people want in the game. (Casuals or otherwise.) Does it ruin the feel of the game if a bunch of third party characters get in? In my opinion no. It plays almost the same (I say almost cuz balancing), it's still using video game characters only, and the game doesn't loose that lighthearted feel to it. Even Snake and Ryu can be hilarious at times because of their taunts, or just the expressions they could potentially make at the right times.

But he might be a hell of a lot of fun to play as. Isn't that what matters?
Thank you!

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Yacht Club Games probably had the Amiibo planned before getting asked to add Shovel Knight in Smash, (if they truly were asked). They said that they had a megaton announcement for the Nintendo version of Shovel Knight back in late June, so talks with Nintendo about making a Shovel Knight Amiibo probably started in early June or even earlier than that. I don't think Nintendo decided on adding him into Smash around that time, seems too soon to make that decision. Point is he could still be planned for Smash Bros., and he could still get a Smash Bros. Specific Amiibo in the future.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
"It's unlikely they'd reveal an unrelated amiibo to a character that's in Smash before announcing him in Smash, so he's clearly not in. Get over it."

...? Wat?
They aren't going to make two amiibos for an indie characters.

At best, we're back to square one, but that also means we're back to the problem of Shovel Knight not being a big name and not even being known in Japan.

Not to mention that there are apparently people backing the original rumors that he's in Smash.

We don't know what's going on. We've all made predictions before about characters. This one may not be any different in that we're wrong and he IS playable. At this point I wouldn't be surprised.

Is Shovel Knight the most deserving 3rd party? I'd say no. Is he a "bad choice"? I would also say no to that.

Sure, we say "OH WHAT A BAAAAD CHOICE! WTF NINTENDO!" before we see what they do. But he might be a hell of a lot of fun to play as. Isn't that what matters?

I mean if he's a stupid character in game, then yeah I'd be a bit miffed. I still want Snake to come back over him, but it is what it is. If Shovel Knight is in, then we have to deal with that. That's that lol.

EDIT: I bolded that one part because despite all the talking we do about character choices, lets think hard about it. Post reveal, does anybody REALLY give a **** about any of this? I thought Robin was a bad choice before playing him. Then I didn't care why he got picked over Chrom because he was FUN.

Granted you could say that about literally any character. But to disregard a character because "X REASONS" is stupid when you know the potential outcome.
A game was simply about how it played, we'd still have Dragon King: The Fighting Game. Part of what makes Smash work is that it is about Nintendo characters and content. Why were people upset at the Subspace Emissary. It was very much in part because you weren't fighting Nintendo enemies but generic ones. But if it's just about fun, then why would the enemy matter. You'd only have them as obstacles which the Subspace enemies do very well. Its about Nintendo content.

The problem with third party characters is they aren't Nintendo. The reason the ones we have work now is because they were characters who were very well known and had a special relationship with Nintendo. Nintendo remained the focus. Adding Shovel Knights the games are not longer about the world of Nintendo but are about cramming any character who will make people buy the game. Thus, Super Smash Brothers loses the magic that made it something special. I had long said you can't add that many third party characters because they would be less and less special and would reach a point of being lame. Shovel Knight is an extreme example of that as a lot of people were actually against it (see my original post for examples of that).

I think what the series needs to do is return to Nintendo only. It might suck losing Sonic and Megaman, but the series needs focus and there isn't any third party character out there that all fans would agree with. Smash 4 very much went in the direction of guest characters as it added 3 new ones while there was only 12 new Nintendo characters (in contrast, Brawl was 2 and 14). If Melee and 64 could work without guest characters, than the new one will as well. What makes Smash a success is that it is accessible, gives players a lot of characters, and the Nintendo lore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom