• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope ice climbers or an ice climber makes it's way back to the franchise someday.. Shovelknight over them seems sad but I agree with the general consensus that wolf is likely OTW and might be the last veteran we see. I hope Dixie and Isaac make it in from ballot results but that's wishful thinking too early
Ice Climbers will absolutely be returning to smash some day once any and all systems that smash will be released on can handle them in all modes. It isn't now, but who knows, smash NX could very likely have the return of the icy duo. And if not they almost certainly would be in smash 6.
There is no way they would be out for good after 2 appearances as such a unique character.

Dixie <3

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I honestly really hope there's going to be fan backlash to Shovel Knight if he gets in as DLC. Why the hell he's even being considered as a character IDK but it's really stupid.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
This video basically includes every prediction character I have for Smash 5, switch Corrin with Azura.
The Inklings, sure. Possibly Isabelle if she continues to undoubtedly steal the spotlight from the AC Trio of Nook-Resetti-Slider, yeah. Something from Generation 7 or 8 to take priority over Greninja, likely. But Azura and Cross? Let me say why I have extreme doubt for either of them in response to that video.

One of the major reasons he even begins to mention Cross is because of how Xenoblade is a huge series... Since when? The series only spans two games, and neither of them have reached house-hold success the way the "big series" in Smash. For comparison, Fire Emblem Fates sold 206,675 copies in its first week alone., whereas Splatoon has sold 584,268 copies after 13 weeks of sale. Sales are not the end all for popularity of course, but when it only sold 85,000 copies in its first week and only over 133,000 copies since June (half the length Splatoon has been out yet only a quarter of the success), calling it a big franchise is a very bold statement, especially since you don't even need numbers to know how much series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing all crush it. Xenoblade is not a big franchise. It is a great franchise, with a devoted fanbase that created Operation Rainfall and critical claim. That does not mean it is big. Those are entirely separate things.

In regards to Cross himself, the arguments used were "He's the character you actually play as" and "They could probably do something unique with his guns". The former is very shallow reasoning to choose him over Elma, while the latter is a defeated point in itself. Smash is attempting to avoid gun and realistic weaponry in order to keep a low rating, so when Cross's entire thing is use said realistic gun, that alone will not go well for fitting into Smash Bros. Even that could have been a forgivable point though if something was actually said about how it could be unique. The video merely tosses out "unique" like a buzzword and just moves on from there, clearly showing how Cross isn't unique if an original idea doesn't immediately spring to mind for him.

Azura, meanwhile, is another character-of-the-month that will spoil waaaaay before Smash 5 ever comes to be. Are we expecting Fire Emblem to receive no new entries in the time between Fates and Smash 5? Because unless that's the case, she'll just be yet another face that had her time in the limelight for a couple years until the next entry comes out, where people will be jumping the bandwagon for that character while cynics like me use the exact same argument. Rinse and repeat until Smash 5 is publicly announced and we finally know what the most recent Fire Emblem before Smash 5 will be, and that game's Lord or Azura-equivalent will be the frontrunner.

And did we seriously have to hear "She's a female" as a point towards her inclusion? Never mind the fact that not using a sword was a selling point he unironically used, why on earth are people still using gender to argue anything for character inclusion? It has never been one of Sakurai's criteria nor has it ever affected the quality of gameplay in any way. If her appearance as a woman and aesthetics of dancing and lancing is supposed to be the best arguments he uses to say she's one of the most likely characters, this Loves Smash guy has no valuable insight in Smash Speculation.

And if we really want to get saucy, Sami of Advance Wars and Shantae of her series each have the same niches as Cross and Azura while having much larger support-bases and over a decade more of existence to boot. :awesome:

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
They should just combine Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS into one game and release it on the NX. It can come with all of the DLC that comes out for these games as well, and they can add in more recent characters like the Inklings and Azura as well as characters that couldn't work on the 3DS like Ice Climbers and potentially the Chours Kids. New/old stages can also be added as well as new/old modes. I think that's more reasonable than them making a brand new Smash game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Inklings, sure. Possibly Isabelle if she continues to undoubtedly steal the spotlight from the AC Trio of Nook-Resetti-Slider, yeah. Something from Generation 7 or 8 to take priority over Greninja, likely. But Azura and Cross? Let me say why I have extreme doubt for either of them in response to that video.

One of the major reasons he even begins to mention Cross is because of how Xenoblade is a huge series... Since when? The series only spans two games, and neither of them have reached house-hold success the way the "big series" in Smash. For comparison, Fire Emblem Fates sold 206,675 copies in its first week alone., whereas Splatoon has sold 584,268 copies after 13 weeks of sale. Sales are not the end all for popularity of course, but when it only sold 85,000 copies in its first week and only over 133,000 copies since June (half the length Splatoon has been out yet only a quarter of the success), calling it a big franchise is a very bold statement, especially since you don't even need numbers to know how much series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing all crush it. Xenoblade is not a big franchise. It is a great franchise, with a devoted fanbase that created Operation Rainfall and critical claim. That does not mean it is big. Those are entirely separate things.

In regards to Cross himself, the arguments used were "He's the character you actually play as" and "They could probably do something unique with his guns". The former is very shallow reasoning to choose him over Elma, while the latter is a defeated point in itself. Smash is attempting to avoid gun and realistic weaponry in order to keep a low rating, so when Cross's entire thing is use said realistic gun, that alone will not go well for fitting into Smash Bros. Even that could have been a forgivable point though if something was actually said about how it could be unique. The video merely tosses out "unique" like a buzzword and just moves on from there, clearly showing how Cross isn't unique if an original idea doesn't immediately spring to mind for him.

Azura, meanwhile, is another character-of-the-month that will spoil waaaaay before Smash 5 ever comes to be. Are we expecting Fire Emblem to receive no new entries in the time between Fates and Smash 5? Because unless that's the case, she'll just be yet another face that had her time in the limelight for a couple years until the next entry comes out, where people will be jumping the bandwagon for that character while cynics like me use the exact same argument. Rinse and repeat until Smash 5 is publicly announced and we finally know what the most recent Fire Emblem before Smash 5 will be, and that game's Lord or Azura-equivalent will be the frontrunner.

And did we seriously have to hear "She's a female" as a point towards her inclusion? Never mind the fact that not using a sword was a selling point he unironically used, why on earth are people still using gender to argue anything for character inclusion? It has never been one of Sakurai's criteria nor has it ever affected the quality of gameplay in any way. If her appearance as a woman and aesthetics of dancing and lancing is supposed to be the best arguments he uses to say she's one of the most likely characters, this Loves Smash guy has no valuable insight in Smash Speculation.

And if we really want to get saucy, Sami of Advance Wars and Shantae of her series each have the same niches as Cross and Azura while having much larger support-bases and over a decade more of existence to boot. :awesome:
Frankly, I'm totally ok on Azura, but I do agree that its very likely we'll have the next FE long before the next Smash hits, and even then, Anna has now been playable in two games straight. With her being one of many different Anna's, she can potentially use any FE weapon. And in several games her main weapon when she's not playable is a Lance (several times she's a pegasus knight, and as a merchant class she uses a lance).

Anna is not only becoming a recurring playable character, but she's been in the series since the start and is the franchise mascot.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
is the franchise mascot.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, I love Anna just as much as the next guy. Face facts though. She's been a minor character in every Fire Emblem game since Shadow Dragon.

I wouldn't call her the mascot, Marth reserves that honor. A recurring fan adored character? Hell yes.
I admire your dedication but this seems like you're kind of on the offense with the Snake and Sonic fanbase. I mean I know you want him in but try to keep it civilized y'know? Just a fair warning

Last edited:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
What if they added a new type of mii fighter 0-0
They can always create a new type of Mii Fighter that uses dual swords if no one with dual swords style is getting in. Lloyd's costume would have been especially appropriate for that type.

Potential costumes for that type of Mii fighter that I can think up:

• Fiora/Mecha-Fiora (Eh, let them figure out how to make one of these outfits gender neutral)

• Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)

• Gerudo outfit with twin scimitars

• Ghirahim (Actually, he can be a costume for Mii Sword Fighter. Why isn't it a thing yet?)

• Samurott

DLC possibilities:
  • SSB T-shirt outfit w/ twice the swords Mii Sword Fighter has (To be free for anyone who bought this already)
  • Lloyd Irving

• Dual-wielding replicas of Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur (Too big a stretch?)
Oh my, I've been thinking about this Mii thing for an inappropriate amount of time. Hooray for imaginations and speculations, though. It would be really cool if Ganondorf's Wind Waker robe became am outfit for the existing Mii Sword Fighter. I mean, just look at it.
But I digress from the main topic of this thread.

It's something I definitely don't expect, but I want a sequel to the Subspace Emissary as DLC.
I don't want a sequel sequel, but the Xenoblade type of sequel. I'd appreciate it a lot if it used existing IPs much more and somewhat less Smash original content, and that's not to say I didn't like SSE. I wonder if Metal Sonic (Metal Overlord) would be warranted an inclusion in it as a third party boss, assuming Sonic Heroes isn't forgotten. (Try to reach inside of me! Try to drain my energy! Just let me show you just WHAT. I'M. MADE. OF!)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You know, back when Smash 4 was announced, Agumon was my #1 pick for a Namco Bandai rep. Of course I knew Pac-Man was way more likely, but the idea of having Pikachu and Agumon in the same game was so great. But anyways, I don't agree with this picture at all. The Mario and Sonic rivalry was beneficial for both Nintendo and SEGA in the past days, that alone shows how important Sonic is to Nintendo. On top of that, SEGA have been supporting Nintendo systems since they went out of the console/hardware business. ^_^

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really think that , compared to Capcom, Namco Bandai and SEGA do not have enough Mii COstumes.

Also, where's me Kid Icarus mii costumes of Medusa, Viridi, Hades, Phosphora, Magnus ect ect ?! Me sad.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Red, Blue, Yellow..... And Green. #Frogger4Smash.

I support. What kind of playstyle would he have?
Horizontal walling?
I guess think of him as Falco, only with more horizontal jump than Falco's high vertical jumps.
Replace the special moves with tools and obstacles Frogger can use for attacks such as vehicles, turtles, alligators, and logs.
That's how I would think of him.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Any third party character for suggested DLC that isn't Snake, Simon Belmont. or Bomberman (three major Konami reps) is the wrong choice.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I guess think of him as Falco, only with more horizontal jump than Falco's high vertical jumps.
Replace the special moves with tools and obstacles Frogger can use for attacks such as vehicles, turtles, alligators, and logs.
That's how I would think of him.
Maybe he has very good, but awkward mobility (slippery, high short hop, walking and running with small hops)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Any third party character for suggested DLC that isn't Snake, Simon Belmont. or Bomberman (three major Konami reps) is the wrong choice.
If there was a Castlevania rep, it would be most likely the face of the series (Alucard) or the villain (Dracula). Hell, even Soma Cruz is more likely than Simon Belmont. Keep dreaming about Simon Belmont.

I somewhat agree... although I would accept Rayman as well. Yes, he is not as iconic as those or ones already in Smash, but he is still more iconic than most other suggestions I've seen.

EDIT: I would also accept Black Mage, he is also iconic, but I don't see a SE rep happening (then again, I don't see Simon Belmont happening either).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously, I think it'd be wrong if we got any other DLC 3th party character before a new first party Nintendo character. Wolf for example is a character that should 100% make it before any other "super hype 3th party addition" (think Ryu / Snake) him being a Brawl veteran and all that. It's no secret that I like K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie and Impa, but aside from those, I'd much much rather see characters as Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Chibi Robo, or any other first party character. I'd much more respect those characters as additions than stuff as Cloud Strife, Frogger, Shovel Knight, Kratos, or whoever.

D

Deleted member

Can't wait the post-ballot era to come, then all these discussions will finally end.

I miss the pre-Smash 4 era, when each one was eager with each newcomer announcement and speculations.

Now it's trash talk on trash talk, not only in the RTC thread, but in this one as well, and everywhere, especially when it's about indies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hold on to your butt butts.

This might be true!

Status