• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's something I definitely don't expect, but I want a sequel to the Subspace Emissary as DLC.
Same here. NX is launching next year maybe they'll be an NX version of this game that would have the IC's along with a SSE sequel that features all 60 characters (presumably what it would be at the end).

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'd be happy if we never got a fourth-party character at any point whatsoever. I'd play M.U.G.E.N. instead if I wanted that.

Just saying.

Morbi

Scavenger

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Same here. NX is launching next year maybe they'll be an NX version of this game that would have the IC's along with a SSE sequel that features all 60 characters (presumably what it would be at the end).
Odds are it probably isn't launching next year.

Nothing. It doesn't exist.
It's a third party character not from a video game.
Similar to how second party doesn't actually exist, either. The term is meaningless. You're either first or third-party. Some people refer to characters not created directly by Nintendo as second-party, however in reality, they're either third-party (if Nintendo does not own them) or first-party (if Nintendo owns them). There is no in-between. If Nintendo even co-owns a character they're first-party.

The first-party status can change, like with Banjo and Kazooie.

Namely, Isaac is a first-party character of Nintendo. Traditionally it'd be considered second-party. Technically, people call all Pokemon second-party, but they are co-owned by Nintendo. (This is, ironically, a WORSE example than Isaac, because at least Isaac is fully owned by Nintendo.)

Game Freak/the Pokemon Company tends to have controlling rights over Pokemon, too. Or maybe Nintendo just adheres to their wishes for the most part.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah what's the point of other characters when we have Miis?

Miis are everyone. Miis are anyone. Miis are no one.

We just need more Mii Costume DLC to add more of everyone's favorite characters! I mean, my sister technically mains Chrom.

Shovel Knight would make a great Mii skin, similar to the Black Knight.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We just need more Mii Costume DLC to add more of everyone's favorite characters! I mean, my sister technically mains Chrom.

Shovel Knight would make a great Mii skin, similar to the Black Knight.
That's what I've been saying ever since I saw someone comment that elsewhere here (maybe it was you). I thought about it and was like "Ok, the Shovel is what's supposed to make him stand out, but he really wouldn't be that much different from a generic sword fighter." The Sword Mii Fighter has a downward stab attack as a custom, and the only difference in Shovel Knight's movements is he "shovels" instead of swings (and he still swings in midair).

Shovel Knight would also work fine as a Mii Fighter costume, and would look EXACTLY like Shovel Knight. And you couldn't even argued he's a chibified version, because the original Shovel Knight kinda is a chibified style of character.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What if they added a new type of mii fighter 0-0
Personally, I want a drunken brawler mii. A mii with stagger in each step. =)

My prediction is what many others think, that they would add a pure spellcaster type next.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What if they added a new type of mii fighter 0-0
First post, huh? Welcome to the site. :)

A new Mii fighter would be a bit too much work, considering all the costumes. Lack of custom moves would make it rather moot though.

Doomsday

Smash Rookie
NNID
Doomsday_the_New
I've been a member for at least 2 months, I just haven't posted anything yet. And I just thought of mii fighter cuz it seems like it could potentially be really cool.

In reality I'm rooting for bandana Dee, and Isaac.

Side note:I'm fine with most new characters as long as they won't be clones/ already have too many representatives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok excluding the fact that shovel knight may be winner number 1 of 3-6ish (just a rumor but not getting sucked in.)

I would love to see a new mii class but it ain't happening

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just want to throw my two cents into the Shovel Knight thing

Why it wont happen

So far, the game hasn't been released in Japan yet, so its very likely Sakurai doesn't even know who Shovel Knight is. Keep in mind this is the same guy who didn't add Takumaru, a Nintendo character who was born alongside Pit, Link and Samus, because we wasn't well known outside of Japan. Shovel Knight, according to Yacht Club Games, has only sold 700,000 copies across most major platform. That's good for an indie game, but compare that to any Nintendo or the games from the third party series in Smash, that's pretty poor. About 60 percent of the 3DS's sales came from Japan, so it makes no sense to add a character who Japanese players don't even know. @PushDustIn wrote a good article on the issues of Shovel Knight

Why Shovel Knight shouldn't be in

Adding Shovel Knight would be Smash jumping the shark. The reason the third party characters work is because Sakurai is discriminatory. So far, all the third party characters have been huge names with multiple million sellers. Moreover, all of these guys have been around for over 15 years. Shovel Knight is only about a year old. The other third party characters have proven over the years that they are well loved and iconic. The same can not be said about Shovel Knight. I know many fans will clamor because "Shovel Knight is amazing game," and very successful, but that doesn't mean it will be in 5-6 years. Look at Angry Birds. The game was very popular a few years age, but now the developer is laying off employees. Nothing gold can stay.

Adding Shovel Knight is a slap in the face to everything the series has built up. It not only hurts the allure and luster of third party characters, but the idea of a Nintendo fighting game in general. So far, the only new character added as DLC was a third party character. Smash 4 already added 3 third party characters despite adding few characters than the previous game. It no longer becomes a celebration of Nintendo lore but a big marketing gimmick. It will kill the magic of Smash.

What will really happen

The PAX announcement wont deal with Smash at all. Shovel Knight has special content on the Playstation and XBox, but not the Wii U. I expect the announcement will be about special content on the Wii U version and it will likely involve amiibos. You'll be able to scan in an amiibo and it will introduce a Nintendo character in some way. Shovel Knight will also have an amiibo.

EDIT: 4Chan had some good quotes
Can we maybe get some first party newcomers? This is pretty ****ing stupid if it's true.
>Indie character
>Barely a year old
>SMASH MATERIAL

****, why not just include the Five Nights at Freddy's cast at this point?
Um, no, I've played Shovel Knight. It's a good game, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be on the Smash roster.
DAIRANTU SMASHUU BROTHERSS

Special guests:

SONIC
PACMAN
ROCKMAN
RYU
And that character from a small american indie game released a year ago that doesn't exist in Japan
This is fake as hell. There's nothing even remotely suggesting that this guy's "sources" are real. Secondly, as >>307841881 said, it's not out in Japan, not to mention it's made by a Western studio, so NOJ and Japan in general probably couldn't give less of a **** about it.

Also, I loved Shovel Knight, but it's a ****ing one year old indie game, that while noted in the gaming community, hasn't exactly been making waves large enough to get it into Smash. While I hate using this argument, it's just not well-known enough to be added. A DLC character's goal is to sell DLC or raise interest in the base game itself, something Shovel Knight just isn't popular enough to do.

I'm afraid it's extremely unlikely. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.
Nintendo's allstars!
Plus these gaming icons!
plus this knight guy who starred in an indie game last year
Sonic, Mega Meme, Pacman and Ryu are all huge gaming icons with strong history/relations with Nintendo, so they're justified as 3rd party.

SK is an indie game that came out last year likely to be forgotten soon

I'll be ****ing pissed if NoJ actually lets this slide, all this 3rd party currently is enough too considering this is still a NINTENDO party game

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just want to throw my two cents into the Shovel Knight thing

Why it wont happen

So far, the game hasn't been released in Japan yet, so its very likely Sakurai doesn't even know who Shovel Knight is. Keep in mind this is the same guy who didn't add Takumaru, a Nintendo character who was born alongside Pit, Link and Samus, because we wasn't well known outside of Japan. Shovel Knight, according to Yacht Club Games, has only sold 700,000 copies across most major platform. That's good for an indie game, but compare that to any Nintendo or the games from the third party series in Smash, that's pretty poor. About 60 percent of the 3DS's sales came from Japan, so it makes no sense to add a character who Japanese players don't even know. @PushDustIn wrote a good article on the issues of Shovel Knight

Why Shovel Knight shouldn't be in

Adding Shovel Knight would be Smash jumping the shark. The reason the third party characters work is because Sakurai is discriminatory. So far, all the third party characters have been huge names with multiple million sellers. Moreover, all of these guys have been around for over 15 years. Shovel Knight is only about a year old. The other third party characters have proven over the years that they are well loved and iconic. The same can not be said about Shovel Knight. I know many fans will clamor because "Shovel Knight is amazing game," and very successful, but that doesn't mean it will be in 5-6 years. Look at Angry Birds. The game was very popular a few years age, but now the developer is laying off employees. Nothing gold can stay.

Adding Shovel Knight is a slap in the face to everything the series has built up. It not only hurts the allure and luster of third party characters, but the idea of a Nintendo fighting game in general. So far, the only new character added as DLC was a third party character. Smash 4 already added 3 third party characters despite adding few characters than the previous game. It no longer becomes a celebration of Nintendo lore but a big marketing gimmick. It will kill the magic of Smash.

What will really happen

The PAX announcement wont deal with Smash at all. Shovel Knight has special content on the Playstation and XBox, but not the Wii U. I expect the announcement will be about special content on the Wii U version and it will likely involve amiibos. You'll be able to scan in an amiibo and it will introduce a Nintendo character in some way. Shovel Knight will also have an amiibo.
I completely and totally 100% agree with everything, ESPECIALLY the last point. I really think Shovel Knight is likely to get his own Amiibo, but also supporting other Nintendo Amiibo in Shovel Knight is a distinct possibility on its own even without Shovel Knight getting his own Amiibo. That's the best fit IMO for their "unexpected" but "megaton" announcement.

I also think Nintendo might announce "Nindie" Mii costumes for Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It wouldn't completely shock me if we got a regular Shovel Knight trophy along with a Shovel Knight Mii costume.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to Shovel Knight (I'd prefer Shantae if we had to get an indie), but I do feel he has quite a way to go before he can really deserve a slot on the roster.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I completely and totally 100% agree with everything, ESPECIALLY the last point. I really think Shovel Knight is likely to get his own Amiibo, but also supporting other Nintendo Amiibo in Shovel Knight is a distinct possibility on its own even without Shovel Knight getting his own Amiibo. That's the best fit IMO for their "unexpected" but "megaton" announcement.

I also think Nintendo might announce "Nindie" Mii costumes for Smash.
You know, it's funny. It use to be to say you don't want third party characters and people would laugh at you. But I'm seeing the sentiments turns around. I've been saying for a while that there is a limit to the amount for third party characters you can add, and I think this would be the limit. As an aside, I did here similar negativity on Twitter and Reddit (though more were doubting SK's inclusion)

I do think that Mii Fighter costumes may happen. Perhaps that is something that could come from the ballot.

I may do an article or a post here outlining all the Nintendo characters Nintendo could use in Smash. I feel, too often, an argument for third party characters is that "Well, there are no more good Nintendo characters to add" and I think that's baloney.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It wouldn't completely shock me if we got a regular Shovel Knight trophy along with a Shovel Knight Mii costume.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to Shovel Knight (I'd prefer Shantae if we had to get an indie), but I do feel he has quite a way to go before he can really deserve a slot on the roster.
I also think we could get a trophy.

You know, it's funny. It use to be to say you don't want third party characters and people would laugh at you. But I'm seeing the sentiments turns around. I've been saying for a while that there is a limit to the amount for third party characters you can add, and I think this would be the limit. As an aside, I did here similar negativity on Twitter and Reddit (though more were doubting SK's inclusion)

I do think that Mii Fighter costumes may happen. Perhaps that is something that could come from the ballot.

I may do an article or a post here outlining all the Nintendo characters Nintendo could use in Smash. I feel, too often, an argument for third party characters is that "Well, there are no more good Nintendo characters to add" and I think that's baloney.
There's tons of great Nintendo characters to add. In the future I could eventually see a couple more decent third-parties, but I don't see a need to do any more for this game. We already got three new third-parties now.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This video basically includes every prediction character I have for Smash 5, switch Corrin with Azura.
The video is spot on. Only disagreement is Cross over Elma, but I haven't played the game so it remains to be seen who is the character that sticks out from that game.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I hope ice climbers or an ice climber makes it's way back to the franchise someday.. Shovelknight over them seems sad but I agree with the general consensus that wolf is likely OTW and might be the last veteran we see. I hope Dixie and Isaac make it in from ballot results but that's wishful thinking too early

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Moveset for King Hippo

He would be a heavier and slower version of Mac. He has the same tilits and aerials of Mac.

Neutral B: Him throwing fruit
Side B: Riding on Doc Louis's Bike
UP: Same as Mac's Up B
Down B: That Trash Lid he has can be used as a reflector,Or he can have a counter.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom