• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
NONOONONONO

upthrow at 0 -> uair uair uair uair is a much better option

Vermy

Smash Champion
hey Do you guys recommend any video's.
and is there an undisputed best PT player? or maybe a top three? for
I know that i need to learn and incorporate squirtles jab cancle, but is there any other AT that are useful? i know there is a million of them for PT and i bet only a handful are used.. thanks. i hope IRL answers me with some Kallen. make me look at Kallen.
My most awe-inspiring PT mains to watch are Reflex, Typh and my fellow Aussie Pokeslayer, Tcranter. You can get some great ideas from them.

Also, view the PT advanced techniques thread. How-to's, explanations and applications of advanced techniques.

Sorry I'm not IRL, but I like to help. ^_^

Toby.

Smash Master
I don't really like many of the videos of my pokemon trainer that are floating about. I think the inherent problem with tournament videos is that the finals are always after like 10 hours of smash. So I'm always so tired that I jump straight into the **** and stay there. FOREVER.

:)

Vermy

Smash Champion
As your apprentice i'd just like to say....shut up. =)

Your matches vs marth are amazing. You bridge the gap greatly and almost push it into your favour. You're good. Your strats are amazing. You've helped me heaps. I can honestly say I wouldn't be as good with PT without your help.

Plus, d3 walkoff cg kills should be banned and are gay. ;)

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Is it wrong if noone can hit me while I am Squirtle?

They say that it is the most gayest Squirtle EVAH when they cannot touch me :).

Miles.

Smash Champion
Wow steeler.
Wow toby.

You are both out of the backroom now.
Who IS KALLEN?1?!?

Hahah jk.

Check it out, go to google search images for sexy kallen(or karen is the engrish name) and then bask in her glory. Hot anime chick.

I have a question.

Why the **** aren't I flaming the **** out of all these scrubs starting ******* threads and posting like they are authorities on ****.

Makes me want to slit my wrists. Vertically.

Tourney today.

You best believe I will tap that ***.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
yeah. People hate my squirtle so much. Not that I don't get hit, but it's just that I'm pretty agile with him and rack up damage on them without being hit a lot. lol.

Any good advice against good ROB? All I could learn is that I can't pursue off the stage like an idiot and I have to keep him on stage to kill. Some how I have to lure him on stage because I know ROB can totally out camp.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
R.O.B.'s air speed sucks and his kill moves are easy to avoid once you learn their telltale signs. Most R.O.B. players love to KO with neutral air, which is a good move, but takes forever to start up. Squirtle's air speed and small size make him great against his projectiles.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I got killed by alot of Nairs. Thats pretty much all I could say. What's weird is that I went against the same guy with TL and failed. However when I went with Pt last night, I still lost but felt a little more confident that I didnt do as bad. Stock wise, I think I did better, the TL matches I should have been 3 stocked both matches, the first match I got lucky and got 1 stocked the second match I got 3 stocked. however with my Pokemon Team and recklessness for pursuing, I got 2 stocked both times, Thank God for my good squirtle. however I still lost miserable but thats ok, the guy is WAY out of my league. at our tournaments we have skill rankings, I'm a 6 as he is a 10. lol

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
keep rob in the air and be smart about when to try to beat his nair/bair and when to just avoid it to attempt to punish.

if you are smart about avoiding those two moves, you can survive for a while (assuming you smash di out of dsmash)

also edgeguarding him can work

just keep rob off balance so he can't set up his camp or feel comfortable

lol mph i actually googled/youtubed kallen and got all these pictures of an anime chick

i was like

"ummm i don't see any pt stuff......."

Toby.

Smash Master
I think this Kallen girl is very relevent to our goal of pokemastery. Thanks for opening my eyes miles.

Against ROB:

I agree with steeler. Also, remember that he is a nice big target, so always be on the lookout for massive nair strings with ivy, uair juggle traps with zard and uptilt->**** with squirtle...its waaay easier on rob that against many other characters.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Rob is really really good. He's high tier, he's just way too versatile.

That said he is fat and pt combos fatties.
Rack damage on him when he's off level.

He can fly, but not forever.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Ugh, this has been on my mind for a while.

Okay, so, when a Pokemon has no stamina left, its moves will have less knockback and power. So, wouldn't this make them more combo happy into higher percents? If so, how is a Pokemon with no stamina left any worse than one with full stamina?

Seriously, I almost never have to switch out from Ivy/Squirtle >.>.

Toby.

Smash Master
Once your opponent reaches a certain percentage, you cant combo them due to the knockback anyway. With a fatigued squirtle you are forced to make a large amount of single hits that you cant link into anything else, which won't kill until a very high %.

Fatigue is a bad thing.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Once your opponent reaches a certain percentage, you cant combo them due to the knockback anyway. With a fatigued squirtle you are forced to make a large amount of single hits that you cant link into anything else, which won't kill until a very high %.

Fatigue is a bad thing.
Thanks, now I (hopefully) won't be so paranoid about ruining a matchup by switching :/.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
behind in stocks -> switch and try to get the kill, risky but that is the life of a pokemon trainer

ahead in stocks -> stock tank and rack up % for the next pokeman to finish off when you die

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Rob is really really good. He's high tier, he's just way too versatile.

That said he is fat and pt combos fatties.
Rack damage on him when he's off level.

He can fly, but not forever.
so what your saying is attack him, to where it's just a 1 hit and recover kind of hit and not a full pursuit? He does not like going campy ROB and hates being off the ledge as ROB (who doesn't) but even though he can last quite a while in the air, now that I think of it, I can sense a feeling of discomfort. It might be a worth while risk to attack him and knock him a away some. It would possibly catch him off guard. to be honest, his habits with lazer and gyro are so easy to spot, however he's good at spacing you. If off the stage I could try that. and like Typh said, being a PT means taking risks. I like taking risks.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
To start this isnt true unless the opponent is at percentages of 80 or above. People have begun to really only F-throw and D-throw with ivy because they have the best follow up setups, but because of this B-throw has become underrated and to be honest not only has this allowed for safe changes to zard it also has scored kills due to missed DI's all because they do not expect this. B-throw is a good move and shouldnt be seen as a bad one, it jus needs to be used situationally to get the best use out of it.

But btw MattDotZeb knows what he's talkin about me and him owned Milktea and her partner at esticle back in melee..... LOL you should ask him if he remembers the ICs player he teamed with to beat milktea LOL.
that's what i was really asking lol. because bthrow seemed really good the way he was using it, which wasnt just to go zard. and even if it has less followups it still looks cooler so ill probably stick to it

cool logic huh

also, poor milktea

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there "hitbox thread" here, similar to the one on the sonic boards?
Showing the range of each move for each pokemon.

Is water gun weaker than the FLUDD?
Does it push people back less?

What do I do with Ivysaur's Dsmash?
It seems to be useless for damage or killing.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Is there "hitbox thread" here, similar to the one on the sonic boards?
Showing the range of each move for each pokemon.

nope

Is water gun weaker than the FLUDD?
Does it push people back less?

not sure, but it seems likely because at full charge it doesn't last as long. it's still just as effective, or moreso since you can charge it quickly and still provides a good boost

What do I do with Ivysaur's Dsmash?
It seems to be useless for damage or killing.

you do absolutely nothing with it, and wish that ivysaur had a real dsmash...
hope i helped :)

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
you could expand on the dsmash thing and provide an alternative

like, say, use dtilt instead cause dtilt ***** your face

Vermy

Smash Champion
Dsmash makes me sad.
Wait....let me rephrase that.
Ivy makes me sad...

After a failed dtilt, I tend to go straight to jab, as its ever so slightly longer, and the opponent more likely than not will dive straight in after a missed dtilt.
Dtilt SHOULD trip. Everyone elses (except for PT) seems to. =/

And FLUDD is stronger in pushback, but watergun charges much faster, making it a better tool in battle. And I think they're both about even in range.

Tesh

Smash Hero
oh, after asking, i went to training mode and tried to do something with it.
It trips people at low percents, but I guess its too laggy for me to follow up with anything unless they roll back towards me.

Also, what should i be using water gun for really and how. I can't seem to gimp anyone with it, most people seems to just hover in place or knock it away.

When I walk off and instant tether with Ivy, she falls and sort of stops in the ledge but she isn't invincible, is there any practical application for this? How do I make sure she falls past the ledge and hangs low? What are some effective ways to tether hog people that aren't also tether recoveries?

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
how do perform the 60% uptilt lock on falco as squirtle? any time i play someone with even barely any knowledge of basic DI, they escape from it. thanks bro.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
tesh you can use water gun to gimp people like the mother boys, ganondorf, dedede, etc. people that can't spare any horizontal distance when they recover. you can also water gun people off stage and follow up with a fair, often you'll be able to get the hit in since they'll be stationary. you can also use it to push people away as you try to recover, to reduce your chances of getting gimped. and on multihit moves since they will lag as they hit the water, so you can punish them after the attack ends.

typh walk in the direction of their DI in between the utilts. and just time the utilts well. it varies depending on how fast they fall, with falco you need to do it quicker than most.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash makes me sad.
Ivy makes me sad...
D-smash works well as a suprise move. Mostly use it to unstale some moves and get your opponent out of your personal bubble, where you don't want them as Ivy.

And if you are sad knowing you will never be able to be as awesome as Ivy, thats okay.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Dsmash makes me sad.
Ivy makes me sad...

After a failed dtilt, I tend to go straight to jab, as its ever so slightly longer, and the opponent more likely than not will dive straight in after a missed dtilt.
Dtilt SHOULD trip. Everyone elses (except for PT) seems to. =/

And FLUDD is stronger in pushback, but watergun charges much faster, making it a better tool in battle. And I think they're both about even in range.
But what if you charge FLUDD as long as Water Gun? Will it then be equal strong?

What I'm trying to ask is does Water Gun really get more knockback in a shorter charge period or does it just charge equal fast but stop earlier because it's max is so low.
If it's the second than his short charge time is really a disadvantage, since it's not like Mario is forced to go full charge. But Squirtle kinda would be forced to go low charge.

Top Bottom