• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Miles.

Smash Champion

I know some stuff.

If you think I know something that you dont know here is the place to ask, and I will do my best to answer.

This is a (Sigh....) Flame Free Zone.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
How do you jab cancel and Squirtle-slide? Btw, my Brawl Friend's Roster tells me it's still waiting for your registration. Any clue why?

Miles.

Smash Champion
Squirtle Sliding is useless for the most part in my humble opinion.

Vids for it can be found here.
Squirtle Slide
Retro Gaming: Squirtle Sliding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1AALhn4ia4
Zeta: Squirtle Slide 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5sX...eature=related

That was in the stickies btw.

Jab Canceling is a very useful and easy to do technique.

It is how you apply it that makes it even better.

When you are jabbing you can hit down and then do anything you want.

Just hit down roughly as you are pulling your claw/hand/whatever back after attacking and then you will cancel your jab combo.

So instead of hitting A A A you could hit A A (jab cancel) down tilt.

Make sense?

here is a vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxA1LwonCyc

that was also in the stickied threads....

Miles.

Smash Champion
i have no idea why it says still registering... i havent played gone online in a week or two other than to add you.

maybe now that you added me i have to log back on again.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
hey IRL

how do i do the trip to bullet seed and trip to ivy usmash combos

i feel like it would improve my ivy game quite a bit

also how do i glide fall slowly, with grace and style with charizard without dying

Miles.

Smash Champion
hey IRL

how do i do the trip to bullet seed and trip to ivy usmash combos
You just have to believe in your pokemon.

Now look at Kallen.

also how do i glide fall slowly, with grace and style with charizard without dying
I dont rightly now what you are asking sir.

Gliding slowly?

Or

Falling slowly?

Your question made that much sense.

<3 M2

Miles.

Smash Champion
It is when you fast fall an Aerial into the level.

It works best on slopes.

It doesnt have a hitbox but may be useful for mindgames/manueverability.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i like kallen

charizard doesn't GLIDE, he FALLS SLOWLY WITH HIS WINGS SPREAD OUT. HE BELIEVES HE CAN FLY. he believes he can touch the sky. he thinks about it every night and day. spreadin his dragon wings and flyin away.

but he doesn't really fly or glide (unless he up b's) he just falls slowly

no really though i kill myself too much with the glide when i shouldn't. need to be more decisive with it

anyway

hey irl i have another question

you said you'd tell my why pt should never lose to olimar (i believe you, all three pokes are useable) in depth

and you promised

and you never did

and you broke my heart

it's okay kallen made up for it :)

Miles.

Smash Champion
i like kallen

charizard doesn't GLIDE, he FALLS SLOWLY WITH HIS WINGS SPREAD OUT. HE BELIEVES HE CAN FLY. he believes he can touch the sky. he thinks about it every night and day. spreadin his dragon wings and flyin away.

but he doesn't really fly or glide (unless he up b's) he just falls slowly

no really though i kill myself too much with the glide when i shouldn't. need to be more decisive with it

anyway

hey irl i have another question

you said you'd tell my why pt should never lose to olimar (i believe you, all three pokes are useable) in depth

and you promised

and you never did

and you broke my heart

it's okay kallen made up for it :)
I am a heart breaker.

Ok so it sorta goes like this.

As Squirlte/Zard Grab him throw him off level and hit him. Win.

It is almost that simple.

Zard and Squirtle can Chain grab him at zero.

Kinda like this

Fthrow > Fthrow > Fair > Fair > Edgehog.

Graped!

Ivy's instant tether is actually really good against Oli.

ANNnnddd Speaking of IVY

just think off all the stuff you hope people wont do to you when you are recovering as Ivy and DO IT TO OLI.

you have the advantage off level pressure the him when he is off level.

sometimes it is as easy as just throw him off and grab the edge.

if you do that that leaves Olimar with 2 options

1) fight you for ledge (lmao get ***** weird space man!!)
or
2) land really predictable on the level (you ledge hop and punish)

his recovery is so bad he makes squirtles and zards loook amazing.
go out there after him.

Squirtles jab combo moves him off level well and pops him into the air with the 3rd hit try to follow that up with an aerial and get his *** off the level.

Zards fair is beast here.
One fair almost = a stock.
Go for Fair gimps..

Flamerthower ***** his little homos
Rocksmash ***** them some more

Dont get spike.

Dont get spiked Dont get spiked.

Dont jump into the **** either.

Olis Pivot grab is insane almost unpunishable.

Dont play his game, he wants to keep away will spamming you to make you feel pressured and then you will make mistakes.

use your grabs to get him off level.

use Zards Dthrow just to send him far then edge guard.

use Hydrograb to get his punk *** to an edge.

Also remember Trip > Upsmash.

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
Hey IRL i have a question does ivysaurs angled forward smash do anything. Another tourny related one. If my opponent loses a round and i dont switch because i have a beter matchup but then he wins can i switch between my pokemon, is there jumping involved in hydroplanning, finally what do you have your c stick set to.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Fmash angled up will send them higher, thus killing slightly sooner off the top.

You can switch pokemon if you win or lose.

You have to jumpcancel to hydroplane the upsmash. (IE hit jump when you hit Upsmash, having tap jump on does this automatically for you)

My C-stick is set to smash, the default controls.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
What Pokémon lives longer most of the time, Ivysaur or Squirtle?

First I thought Ivysaur but his recovery is really bad and he seems so light....

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur lives longer. It doesn't matter if you can be gimped at low percents, when Squirtle can die at low percents -- from just being light -- with no chance of returning.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Onxy.. in this thread is supossed that IRL is the only one who answers... thats what i understood at least.. i know you are just trying to help
btw... the right answer is that there is a damage interval where a squirtle with good dI will survive and ivy struggles for her life because the probabilities of getting gimped are high.. after that, there is a damage interval where squirtle starts to fly away too much because of her light weight and ivy flies pretty far but doesnt die because shes a midweight, on that case you can just DI up and then come back to the stage using your second jump
Ivysaur is not light, she just moves really slow on the air

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
WOW KALLEN HAS SOME NICE....... ears

Is my brother supposed to be able to sheild right after my grab release to jab combo? Or am I not doing it fast enough? Perhaps it varies form character to character?

Thanks 4 Kallen advice

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, three questions:

1: Wasn't there already one of these ask a pro threads in place?
2: what (outside of pride, and not the good kind either, I mean the Kind that the term narcissism falls into) reason would make you try this yourself?
3: Is it OK to play as Charizard focusing primarily on grabs? because that's what I do to a degree.

Zephramrill

Smash Lord
I'll answer for him.
1. Who cares it clearly isnt active
2. He places in tourneys, has feedback from other solid players/PTusers, nothing narcissistic about admitting you are good at something when you have results and other peoples opinion to back it up.
3. Focusing primarily on anything is generally going to limit you. However chars grab range is pretty broken, abuse as needed.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
1: OK then
2: Actually there are two kinds of Pride, the good kind (Like, Hey, I'm pretty good, I should apply myself, which is essentially what he's doing), and the bad "Worst of the deadly sins" kind (Narcissism is a one word example). It was just to make sure that the reason was well founded. It is.
3: OK, I was just Double Checking with someone who actually puts these things into practice. I myself, am by no means a master, yet I give out advice and opinions on our fiery dragon (Check about every serious post I make here since I joined). I also give high approval to the Grabs (typically trying to find a way to put them into practice. I did in the only tournament I've been in so far. Nealy beat one Wolf, Beat another because he accidentally suicided two times, and was destroyed by toon link. I used all three Pokemon. I actually did both one of my kills against the first wolf and the only actual kill of my second with Ivysaur, check the matchups.), but I also highly approve of the tilts, Bair, fair (to a degree), Specials (also to a degree) and the U attacks. Dair, and any smash outside the Usmash are really only useful to kill, or for Luz, which is pointless.

Miles.

Smash Champion
OK, three questions:

1: Wasn't there already one of these ask a pro threads in place?
2: what (outside of pride, and not the good kind either, I mean the Kind that the term narcissism falls into) reason would make you try this yourself?
3: Is it OK to play as Charizard focusing primarily on grabs? because that's what I do to a degree.
1) read the first post i think that is fairly humble.

2) i love me. but seriously its because i guess i get mad at dumb questions in every thread. there is not a thread on this board where someone doesnt ask a off topic topic. so here they can find answers if i happen to know.

plus i am fun to talk to. just ask me.

3) charizard has moves other than grab? yes grabbing a lot is good, make them fear it. his dashing shield is really good so use it!

and no there was not ever a pt thread like this to my knowledge and lol at you asking me a question if you dont "support it".

I love the PT boards.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, now read my next post, Including the second bit.

Also, another person made something similar to this named Topcat. The thread dropped into the depths of this boards, and we've haven't really heard from Topcat for a long time actually.

It's not that I don't support it, it's just that just asking one person for everything is kind of like saying "I'm the best", which was the ultimate downfall of the last one. Just be cautious with Pride, as when used wrongly, it can lead to destruction. We get the term Narcissism from one such tale.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Lol topcat yeah thats right.

well he was pretty awesome at telling you how awesome he was without vids.

this isnt an IRL is awesome thread.

its IRL knows something about PT.

if you think he might have an answer to your question give it a shot and ask him.

Oh and wolf at low percents is chaingrab food for Zard!!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well that explains the relative ease with the wolves in my tournament bit.

And that is essentially how topcat fell, by a belief in himself similar to that.

Maybe we should have a pooled version, so instead of one person essentially saying "I'm the best, ask me a question", it's more like "Have a question, someone can answer it for you". No offense, it's just that more people are added, thus someone could come up with a better answer.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i remember when topcat was talking **** on the elite four video, saying he'd been doing stuff like that after a month or two from brawl's release.

good times

no no zard92 there's a difference between this thread and that thread

irl is actually good

Miles.

Smash Champion
topcat may have been good too.
regardless.

this thread is not me being self promoting.

im just trying to help instead of being my usual flaming self.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Charizard 92, you REALLY like the word "narcissism" and various forms, don't you :)?

Who, if any of the pokemon, can the Ice Climbers NOT infinite?

And what's Kallen's phone number?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
No, I do not love my self image (actually...)

Anyway, I was a bit concerned on the thing. At least he's being helpful.

P.S. guess which game I learned this term from.

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
No, I just meant that you liked the word itself because you've used in all of your posts in this thread.
And which video game? I don't know, Leapfrog Vocabulary?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
IC's can infinite all 3. they can infinite all characters except maybe IC's themselves.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
And which video game? I don't know, Leapfrog Vocabulary?
I'll give you a hint. 4 words, and the last one is Brawl.

It's in Snake's smash taunt with Meta Knight.

On topic... IRL, which Pokemon, in your opinion, should start the match?

Top Bottom