• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i dont play lucario any more

i second jiggs for falcos

pt all the way otherwise baby

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
if i had to learn secondaries,

which i probably should

it'd have to be the other three pokemon. so i'd have a full team of six.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
and when people ask who you play say "i play pokemon trainer and secondary jiggs trainer and lucario trainer and pikachu trainer"

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
hey i did this thing on lylat where i switch pokemon right near the edge and when squirtle came out he instantly grabbed the edge

free switches????

i could only recreate it like 1/10 times, it probably has something to do with the stage tilting

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
also: jiggs ***** ice climbers

fiction couldn't touch me when i was playing with him yesterday lol

Miles.

Smash Champion
hey i did this thing on lylat where i switch pokemon right near the edge and when squirtle came out he instantly grabbed the edge

free switches????

i could only recreate it like 1/10 times, it probably has something to do with the stage tilting
Japes is **** for Pt I've been saying that for idk...like forever.

But about lylatt, I actually have that switch to instant grab on video ill upload it later when I get off work at 4.

Pt tech skill?

Miles.

Smash Champion

free switches????

like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RxmOBpYuQ
look @ 2:17

also
And Up B edge glitch at the end. I use my Jump and Up B and then get my jump and Up B back.

We need to figure out how to do this consistently.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm just wondering, how do you semi-spike with Ivysaur's Nair? Do you have to fastfall or something like that to make it happen?

Miles.

Smash Champion
Hey I'm just wondering, how do you semi-spike with Ivysaur's Nair? Do you have to fastfall or something like that to make it happen?
no it is actually almost entirely random.

all that we know so far is that it seems to spike more frequently around Ivysuar's hind legs when he is in the dair animation.

but I have had it spike from just about every part on her body so i dont know what to tell you.

i am fairly sure tho that it is percentage based, but no one has tested this yet and i am hella lazy, but i am pretty **** sure that the spike IS percentage based.

Atria

Smash Journeyman

all that we know so far is that it seems to spike more frequently around Ivysuar's hind legs when he is in the dair animation.

but I have had it spike from just about every part on her body so i dont know what to tell you.

i am fairly sure tho that it is percentage based, but no one has tested this yet and i am hella lazy, but i am pretty **** sure that the spike IS percentage based.
Oh okay then. Sounds intriguing...I'll take a closer look at this move then. Thanks for the info! :) If I notice any patterns, I'll be sure to post.

Vermy

Smash Champion
The nair spike hits at the back half of ivys body.
So far my most successful way of hitting with it is to Reverse aerial rush.

Not as hard to hit as Luigi's dair but still a doozy. Personally I prefer to jump backwards off the stage and fair stage spike. =)

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
How do you deal with projectile campers? I've been playing with my brother a lot, who mains Samus, and he has been camping, spamming missiles until I approach and then he Zairs me and begins juggling me like crazy. I can't figure out how to effectively approach him while still avoiding the projectile damage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Kk.

With ivy:
Razor leaf. It goes through/parrys almost everything. samus is someone you cannot out camp so don't even try. Shorthop dodge to get in close and nair/bair like a mofo. Bulletseed is barely effective on samus, cos she's so freakin floaty, so only try at low%

Squirtle:
Jump. Play like he's from tmnt. In and out. Hit and run. Nair out of combos, watergun back those homing missles. Get samus in the air.

Charizard:
If you aren't already, Rocksmash EVERYTHING. Ftilt and flamethrower should take care of the rockets, and more sh air dodges will get zard past zairs.

I'm at work so I'm not in a right state of mind, but if I've missed anything I'm sure someone will pick up on it. =)

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
That's quite good advice, actually.

The thing that gets me usually is while I'm trying to get in his face, I'm either stuck avoiding missiles and getting caught in a zair or something, or I take the damage and still end up getting attacked afterward. Other than SH air dodges, I can't think of a way to effectively avoid this (maybe if I were better at shellshifting : /).

Incidentally, can a well timed Rock Smash negate a fully charged shot? I know it goes through missiles and semi-charged shots, but I haven't tried it with a full one yet.

Edit: Also, screw the homing missiles. I razor leaf and then the missiles...move. :<

Vermy

Smash Champion
That's quite good advice, actually.

The thing that gets me usually is while I'm trying to get in his face, I'm either stuck avoiding missiles and getting caught in a zair or something, or I take the damage and still end up getting attacked afterward. Other than SH air dodges, I can't think of a way to effectively avoid this (maybe if I were better at shellshifting : /).

Incidentally, can a well timed Rock Smash negate a fully charged shot? I know it goes through missiles and semi-charged shots, but I haven't tried it with a full one yet.

Edit: Also, screw the homing missiles. I razor leaf and then the missiles...move. :<
Crawl. Zair is now no longer a problem for squirtle. Practice shellshifting. its definitely a staple for PT mains.

Dont try to parry a fully charged shot. Or any other projectile. I will come back and bite you on the bum. even if it does work, as soon as they figure out what you're doing, they'll punish. Shield or dodge. they are saf optins that give you plenty of chance to retaliate if they come up in yo grill. =p

As for any other advice on Samus... don't underestimate bombs. they do 8% and they can potentially lead into Sammy's kill moves. Especially dtilt.

CoonTail

Smash Lord

Not to get on a high-horse IRL but its not percentage based at all. Ive explained my theory on this and it's stood the test quite a few times. The N-air is a giant twisting attack made of about how ever many hits that each have their own hitbox. In order for the attack to trap people the way it does they created the hitboxes like a drilling motion where the hitboxes roll over one another so that as you get pushed down by spiking hitboxes into hitboxes that push you back up thus locking you in place. So imagine it this way Ivy's n-air has him spin the whole time, as the first 180 degrees where ivy spins from flower pointing face up to flower facing straight down occurs is the hit boxes pull the opponent down and into the attack. Then in the next 180 degrees where ivy travels from flower pointing straight down to flower being back at the starting position the opponent gets pulled back up into the attack. So in short imagine this attack as a drill of sorts, if you can see the spiking hit boxes you can pull off the spike everytime. Like I said not to be on a high horse IRL but I do have plenty of replays to show this, I just cant post them. I know my explanation is odd enough but overall that is the way the attack works and the easiest ways I've found to pull this off is lock the opponent in the n-air and start to DI away from the opponent as if you were trying to get out of the attack, If you manage to DI and pull yourself away from the opponent before the n-air has finished the last hitbox to touch the opponent will spike them. The prob with the n-air is the last hit because theres no spike to it so unless you tap them with the n-air or DI pull yourself off the opponent you wont be able to n-air spike.

Sorry for the length I figured it needed to be discussed

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
Crawl. Zair is now no longer a problem for squirtle. Practice shellshifting. its definitely a staple for PT mains.

Dont try to parry a fully charged shot. Or any other projectile. I will come back and bite you on the bum. even if it does work, as soon as they figure out what you're doing, they'll punish. Shield or dodge. they are saf optins that give you plenty of chance to retaliate if they come up in yo grill. =p

As for any other advice on Samus... don't underestimate bombs. they do 8% and they can potentially lead into Sammy's kill moves. Especially dtilt.
CRAWLING. WOW. I totally forgot about that, rofl. XD Thank you, sir.

God, do I hate dtilt. So fast, so deadly. I will definitely keep that in mind as well. You have been a great help. Thanks a lot! : D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
mattdotzeb once said to me, at a tournament, ivy's best move is bthrow, since it has enough knockback to safely change into charizard. is this true y/n
It's completely false. Ivy can be instrumental in some match-ups. It's just that if you're bad with him, you'll get gimped early and die horribly.

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
mattdotzeb once said to me, at a tournament, ivy's best move is bthrow, since it has enough knockback to safely change into charizard. is this true y/n
If you're actually good with Ivysaur, you have way more options than just bthrow.

Ask yourself, "Do I suck with Ivysaur?" If the answer is yes, then bthrow is a good option. If the answer is no, then you have lots of great damage racking abilities (bulletseed, nair, bair, ftilt, etc.) and awesome kill moves (uair, fsmash, fair, vine whip, etc.) at your disposal.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's the best move to get a switch regardless of how good you are with ivy.

i think samus zair can hit crawling squirtle

excellent analysis ice ****, that **** makes perfect sense.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
To start this isnt true unless the opponent is at percentages of 80 or above. People have begun to really only F-throw and D-throw with ivy because they have the best follow up setups, but because of this B-throw has become underrated and to be honest not only has this allowed for safe changes to zard it also has scored kills due to missed DI's all because they do not expect this. B-throw is a good move and shouldnt be seen as a bad one, it jus needs to be used situationally to get the best use out of it.

But btw MattDotZeb knows what he's talkin about me and him owned Milktea and her partner at esticle back in melee..... LOL you should ask him if he remembers the ICs player he teamed with to beat milktea LOL.

it's the best move to get a switch regardless of how good you are with ivy. i think samus zair can hit crawling squirtle

excellent analysis ice ****, that **** makes perfect sense.

Thanks steeler lol at least someone responds figuring I was answering the question of how to semi-spike with Ivy's n-air I wish I could post my replays of nailing the n-air spike I just have no way of uploading them. If I did we could have another tech video to demonstrate how to n-air semi spike.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
PS can solve most projectile needs <_<.

PS is Perfect Shielding, I STRONGLY advise you to practice, as projectiles wii be GREATLY reduced as a annoyance.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
PS is where I like to end my matches. I usually have it end in my favor.

*yawn* why am i so bored? I would go on a journey but my parents wont let me. it's too dark. I tired telling them thats when all the night pokemon come out.

grrr ****ing DarkRai, keeps harassing me by tapping on my window, preventing me from sleeping and making funny faces at me. I wana triple finish that SOB

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
uthrow kills at the same percents bthrow does. i love getting people to predict one throw and then using the other one for the ko.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Uh just a question.

I'm having trouble trying to switch between pokemon during a match. I mean, I can switch without getting punished for it, but I find it puts me in a worse position cos it interrupts the flow of my game, if that makes any sense.

I just started trying to learn PT a few days ago, so the inexperience may be the problem but either way.

Oh and is squirtle's Fthrow a chain grab at low %'s? Or is the CPU just really that bad :/

Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance :D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I'm having trouble trying to switch between pokemon during a match. I mean, I can switch without getting punished for it, but I find it puts me in a worse position cos it interrupts the flow of my game, if that makes any sense.

I just started trying to learn PT a few days ago, so the inexperience may be the problem but either way.
There is a very specific ebb and flow to Pokemon Trainer matches. Pokemon Change is not an arbitrary thing that PT users have access to just for the hell of it. You'll find that experienced PT players are constantly doing a lot of calculations and strategizing as they fight, weighing the pros and cons of every action possibly more so than most other characters. When they use Pokemon Change, they have a reason for doing so.

And this is a major learning point that you have to discover with time and practice. There are countless factors that should be presently on your mind in a given match when it comes to whether or not to change at certain points; not the least of which are fatigue, the match-up, the stage, your positioning, your opponent's percent, YOUR percent, and the remaining stocks. I guarantee you all of these things are present in a PT's mind when considering whether or not to make the change in a match.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but take it from someone that knows: before you know it, you will develop an instinct for changing and it will become second-nature to you to know whether or not a change is a good idea. Yes, you'll likely make a few bad switches as you get the process down. It's happened to us all. But sooner or later you'll learn when to switch, how to switch, and most importantly, WHY to switch (and why NOT to switch in some cases). Just allow yourself to do so, but at the same time, don't feel like you need to force yourself to change if that simply doesn't work for you.

The absolute most important thing is this: have a reason for doing everything. ESPECIALLY Pokemon Change. Before hitting down B, quickly ask yourself what you're changing for. If you come up with a specific reason - even if it's not a good one; because you'll have to learn through personal experience what reasons are good and which reasons are bad - then do the move. If you CAN'T think of a good reason to swap, don't swap. It might sound like common sense, but I believe it helps to spell this part out a little.

Oh and is squirtle's Fthrow a chain grab at low %'s? Or is the CPU just really that bad :/
The CPU really is just that bad. Squirtle doesn't have an official chain grab.

HOWEVER, Squirtle does have an up tilt lock that works to VERY good percentages on heavy/fast-falling characters. Learn to follow their DI and do this lock well, because it's an unbelievably helpful asset to Squirtle's arsenal.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the fast response, first of all.

with the changing, at the moment I only really change from when i'm using ivysaur and the opponent is at high damage (Which is easy, when your spamming those razorleafs and the occaisional bullet seed which does like 30%...) I knock em over the ledge and then switch to charizard so I can fsmash or bair or some other easy K.O. move.

But i've found I can just run away and do an Fsmash with ivysaur, which is faster :/

Granted it doesn't look as pretty but whatever .-.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Yeah, there are WAY better reasons to change than just that. Make no mistake, switching Pokemon in order to get the KO is a good reason, but it goes much, much deeper than just Ivysaur -> Charizard when the opponent's off-stage, and takes into account what stage you're on, who you're fighting, your KO options, both of your health bars, your fatigue and move deterioration, and what stock you're on.

If I'm Squirtle fighting a fresh Diddy Kong on Final Destination and I get him off-stage, I have absolutely no good reason to switch to Ivysaur.

Likewise, if I'm a fresh Charizard fighting Ness, chances are I won't be switching for a long time. However, when I get to a high enough percent ad get an opening, I'll probably switch to Squirtle, because it'll switch to Ivy when I get KOed, and I'll be able to get Charizard back out ASAP. Meanwhile, I've got spacing options with Ivysaur to keep Ness at bay.

As I said, there is a LOT to consider when it comes to switching. Those were the least complicated examples I had readily available.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is a very specific ebb and flow to Pokemon Trainer matches. Pokemon Change is not an arbitrary thing that PT users have access to just for the hell of it. You'll find that experienced PT players are constantly doing a lot of calculations and strategizing as they fight, weighing the pros and cons of every action possibly more so than most other characters. When they use Pokemon Change, they have a reason for doing so.

And this is a major learning point that you have to discover with time and practice. There are countless factors that should be presently on your mind in a given match when it comes to whether or not to change at certain points; not the least of which are fatigue, the match-up, the stage, your positioning, your opponent's percent, YOUR percent, and the remaining stocks. I guarantee you all of these things are present in a PT's mind when considering whether or not to make the change in a match.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but take it from someone that knows: before you know it, you will develop an instinct for changing and it will become second-nature to you to know whether or not a change is a good idea. Yes, you'll likely make a few bad switches as you get the process down. It's happened to us all. But sooner or later you'll learn when to switch, how to switch, and most importantly, WHY to switch (and why NOT to switch in some cases). Just allow yourself to do so, but at the same time, don't feel like you need to force yourself to change if that simply doesn't work for you.
this post is Typh Approved

Publix

Smash Apprentice
hey what happened to IRL answering all the questions. i liked him. no homo. wait alot of homo. i'm gay.
anyways i wanted to start being a pokemon master. Because of Reflex. he's badass. i saw him in a tourney almost beating the best metanight in florida. Anyways.

Do you guys recommend any video's.
and is there an undisputed best PT player? or maybe a top three? for
I know that i need to learn and incorporate squirtles jab cancle, but is there any other AT that are useful? i know there is a million of them for PT and i bet only a handful are used.. thanks. i hope IRL answers me with some Kallen. make me look at Kallen.

Top Bottom