• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think I remember Malva once saying in a YouTube description that he mapped save/load state buttons to his controller (F5 and F7). I was wondering how you go about doing this?

Zell~D

Smash Cadet
well i moved to hong kong recently and i missed ssb64 so much
i want to play it online but i can never find a good, smooth. stable server.
any help with that?
does anyone have any suggestions?maybe an asian server (or client?wtever)?
or will p2p help?
i really want to play a good game(although i am not good)
many thanks
there are some japanese servers i think

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
"D&D: 58.188.117.242:27888 (Japan)
otokujuku: otokojuku.ddo.jp:27888 (Japan)
S|A|Y: junkyo.sytes.net:27888 (Japan)
Japanese Server: aokaok.ddo.jp:27888 (Japan)

KOF98: 112.150.184.108:27888 (Korea, KOF server obvs)"

in the smash 64 index

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
What button do you use to l-cancel (i play wii version) and how precise is the timing

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
No idea about wii controllers, but you need to press whatever button shield is (on a N64 controller, that's Z). You can also press R, but I think almost everyone uses Z. You have a fairly wide gap to time it, I believe it's 20 frames - one third of a second. It's called z-cancelling in SSB64 due to Z being the button pressed, but it's the same thing as L-cancelling.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can throw a boomerang/aerial attack on your 2nd jump to gain distance.
It doesn't gain distance. But boomerangs can be used to protect the edge and prevent edgehogs, or protect Link from getting hit in general.

Only Puff and Kirby gain distance on their jumps with aerials.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I pull out bombs as I jump, then throw them, usually light throw.

Works a surprising amount of the time, even in super serious matches.

One time I got them as they were fastfalling to edgehog and then D-Aired them onto the stage ^_^

IYM!

Smash Lord
You can throw a boomerang/aerial attack on your 2nd jump to gain distance. Other than that, there's only the bomb recovery, which never works in real matches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03K-CcYBgTw

You can also reverse ledge DI.
yeah, i saw that video already. but i dont know how to do it, he do the bomb jump off stage, so i cant see the imput

any way, thanks for you time:)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If it hasn't been explained:

1) Use your second jump and Down-B (Bomb) as you rise
2) Do a weak throw downwards while maintaining forward momentum (you have to buffer down and keep holding forward if you're on keyboard)
3) B-Air the bomb, try to maintain forward momentum (impossible to do so on keyboard, but try to minimise it anyway)
4) DI the explosion if you can (quarter-circle towards the stage)
5) Still fail to recover

It's also in the smash index.

Cbasto

Smash Rookie
P2P hosting problem

When i want to host a p2p game i have this message : Error initializing sockets :(
What can i do ?

IYM!

Smash Lord
If it hasn't been explained:

1) Use your second jump and Down-B (Bomb) as you rise
2) Do a weak throw downwards while maintaining forward momentum (you have to buffer down and keep holding forward if you're on keyboard)
3) B-Air the bomb, try to maintain forward momentum (impossible to do so on keyboard, but try to minimise it anyway)
4) DI the explosion if you can (quarter-circle towards the stage)
5) Still fail to recover

It's also in the smash index.
thanks man,

another question,

Recently, I have begun to use the Link Nair, the movement is quite fast and serves to do combos, but...

That so good is the movement?
To that frame come out the attack?
Has a good hitbox?
any tips, to use it better?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Link's N-Air comes out on the third frame, I believe. To contrast, his jab comes out on the 4th. If I recall correctly, it is mildly faster than D-Air and the same speed as U-Air.

It hits enemies D-Air won't, but its main use is in comboing. You can use it as you're falling, land, then dash grounded Up-B for a fairly simple combo. N-Air > double jump Up-B hits floaties at certain percents, and double jump N-Air > D-Air can work at certain percents on many characters. Using it the tent repeatedly can be useful. It's also one of two moves Link can safely (and practically) use as his off-edge edgeguard. It's also fast enough to use as an ok OOS move.

D-Air is generally superior, but N-Air is a useful mixup and beats out, among other things, Mario's fireballs and the early part of Pika's U-Air, assuming he's facing towards you.

It's not impossible on keyboard but OK.
Frame perfect pressing is the best you can do, and that I don't think that will maintain the momentum perfectly, just as stationary B-Airs and F-Airs are impossible on keyboard.

Gonna stop posting advice since I'm just dumb all the time.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It is if you keep 66+% range. You won't be able to do what a controller can in terms of doing a B-Air while moving forward. Frame perfect pressing is the best you can do, and that won't maintain the momentum perfectly.
Erm, you can't hold forward the entire time and "maintain the momentum perfectly" on controller, either. You know, because you need to press back to do the bair?

And I would definitely say Nair's main use is in combos. How often does it "hit enemies D-Air won't"?

Saxazax

Smash Rookie
Please help-problem with controller

Hi there, I'm running Win 7 64bit with a 3rd party n64 controller thru an adapter (http://www.amazon.com/May-Flash-Con...FIUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299554971&sr=8-1).
A couple of months ago, I calibrated my controller and it was working fine. I uninstalled the game a while later.
When I reinstalled it, I found that I wasn't able to use the down C button (I couldn't assign it in the controller options pane and I couldn't use it in-game either). When I plugged the controller into my n64 console, it worked just fine.
Anyone have any idea what I should do to get that button working? It's pretty important for SHs...
-Saxazax

Sangoku

Smash Master
On the right side of hyrule, I'm not sure but I think that you need to stick hop to go from the ground to the middle platform while lasering.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
Saxazax, what controller plugin are you using? If you're not using N-Rage I'd suggest downloading Version2 1.83 and trying that. Shark, I find aiming shield essential if i'm on a platform with someone underneath me, or for eg. falcon's usmash ALWAYS seems to get me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I often use stick jump. Sometimes when I feel like I need maximim height from my jump, but more often to avoid the decreased jump height that comes from running. i.e. Fox can't jump out of the **** tent when running forward and jumping with C, so I stick jump.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think I remember Malva posting a couple of examples where you need to use the Analog in order to certain things, such as on Kirby's BtT, to exit the starting position in 1 jump it needs to be stick.

Also I think on Hyrule as fox, in order to land on the top platform starting on the ground beneath it using only his 2 jumps, your first jump has to be a stick jump otherwise you won't make it. (Not sure about this one, my P64 settings might be limiting me).

DMoogle

A$
Also I think on Hyrule as fox, in order to land on the top platform starting on the ground beneath it using only his 2 jumps, your first jump has to be a stick jump otherwise you won't make it. (Not sure about this one, my P64 settings might be limiting me).
I thought this too, but you actually can do it with C jumps. It's just that your timing has to be dead on (your second jump has to be at the very top of the first jump). It's definitely easier to do with stick jumps.

Dsc

Smash Ace
I always double jump to the top of the tent from the **** area with link.

C button: failure
Analogue: success

xx0EleMenT0xx

Smash Apprentice
Is it ok to host an online smash 64 tourny for money? Like the Winner gets the prize through paypal or check? If so I've got some ideas of hosting some online cash tourny's I just need to get into contact with
some of the good online tournament organizers here like MATTS maybe.

dandan

Smash Lord
not only is it ok, you will get a bigger turnout than non profitable tournies, and using that, you can also set timelines to enforce it working as planned.
it is the best option, no one just put out the cash as of yet.

as a side note, a cool idea would be to play all the matches on galaxy, and have a third person join the game so he could stream. he could use the ping spoof to spoof way up, to like 2000ms, and then stream without causing any lag. i think something like this would do a great deal of good to the community.

xx0EleMenT0xx

Smash Apprentice
not only is it ok, you will get a bigger turnout than non profitable tournies, and using that, you can also set timelines to enforce it working as planned.
it is the best option, no one just put out the cash as of yet.

as a side note, a cool idea would be to play all the matches on galaxy, and have a third person join the game so he could stream. he could use the ping spoof to spoof way up, to like 2000ms, and then stream without causing any lag. i think something like this would do a great deal of good to the community.
Perfect idea dandan with having the third person to stream. I'm just a little worried
about the people that would rather use p2p and the lag Johns that may be associated with
streaming. But I think I'll make it mandatory to either be streamed or recorded so that
everyone would know it was legit. I'm thiking of hosting a $50.00 first place cash tournament
really soon I hope this turns out good even though $50.00 isn't much it will go up. I want to
start hosting them like every 2 weeks or so and the average prize will be $100.00 or more,
I'm also thinking of making 2nd and 3rd place winners receive cash also. Dandan will you be willing to help me set this up? Oh and one more thing I'm gonna make it so that you don't
have to pay to enter, all of the money is gonna be coming straight out of my pocket and I'm
doing it as a service to the smash64 community.

Top Bottom