• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

DaveBF

Smash Rookie
Okay... how often do people DI?
Can people DI almost every time they get hit or is it less frequently successful?

DaveBF

Smash Rookie
How can I play Smash 64 on the computer?
You have to find a ROM somewhere (they're not legal)
You also have to get an emulator to play the ROM (which is basically like the cartridge).
The most common emulator is Project64 which you can easily find on Google.

Best101

Smash Ace
Okay... how often do people DI?
Can people DI almost every time they get hit or is it less frequently successful?
You can DI in this game, but I don't think it'll do much good since it's pretty easy to combo in this game. I'm not too sure on the specifcs since I only play with a crappy controller and against computers now.

Edit: Thanks btw.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Cause it helps you lower the amount of combos.

It was a way of Fireblaster saying "you're very wrong".

Also, online, DI is more common than offline. Something about the controllers.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It was a way of Fireblaster saying "you're very wrong".
I'm aware of that ;)
Saying "you're very wrong" and saying why would be better though. A simple "LOL" doesn't say much and can really just be used as a +1 post. Thats why there is a 10 character limit.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I'm sorry if I don't feel like explaining and proving wrong misconceptions every **** person has about SSB. I've already dealt with nearly one hundred people who think DI in SSB64 is useless, and I'm not about to bother explaining it to the 101th person.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
this isn't really a Q&A thread.
You should make the 1st post on this thread that HAS the Q and A's instead of having the people going through the pages.

And if i remember correctly there's already threads made by old mods that pretty much make up a Q&A but in different threads

Skrlx

Smash Champion

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Then a mod can make a forum link post that redirects them to the Index with the title "CLICK HERE BEFORE YOU BEGIN POSTING" and the Index thread should be edited by a mod a bit so that it lets the people know why they are there

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I too am confused, do we have new mods or something?
Also, I think it's actually easier to make new threads. We have few enough frequenters of this forum that making a Q&A thread would just make it harder to find questions...
What we probably need more is like, a FAQ thread. Things like - Is DI useful? And a description of why, how, etc. etc. etc....

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I'll add a FAQ to the OP.

Edit: I put up three already which are basically links to the stickies. I'll add more in a bit and continue to add questions which have already been answered.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Sounds like this is turning into the "Smash Index", with info that can be found in the links in the smash index. Basically everything improtant is there... it's just people (especially new people) are too lazy to read through it. How will making a new thread change anything?

Also, some questions are not FAQ-able, like the controller questions. Answering one question does not answer them all, so letting new posts get made is the best way... unless you want to make a thread dedicated to all controller problems (includes everything controller related).

I know you're trying to help out the 64 section, but I don't think this thread is going to do much help. Read the Index, and if you think there's something missing from that, make a new thread, and post a link to the Index. That usually has the answers to everything.

Just trying to help you make the world a better place... or just the 64 section :)

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
haha I'm not going to post any more thread links in the OP, just those three basically to reenforce how important it is to read the Smash Index to new members. Like you said new members often don't take the time to look through and read it all. This is basically a thread where people (~New People~) can get quick questions answered rather making a whole new thread for just a few responses. Threads like those either take up space or turn into spam threads (such as the ones posted above).

It's not ment to answer everything, it's really just for the benefit an indavidual with a simple question. Something like a controller guide can most certainly have a thread of it's own same for other questions which bring about actual discussion. The FAQ in OP is really only ment to guide new members if they some how missed the other stickies or if a common question has been answered already. If they still miss it then they can ask their question here without having to make a new thread. I don't think having it will hurt. :) There's multiple Q&A threads through out smashboards. It keeps things less messy rather than having unanswered/(hardly posted)answered questions threads scattered across the board.

~Thanks for your input luv(s). PM me if you have any more concerns.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I thought that was what the 'social thread - talk about anything' was for... but then again, the title of that is mis-leading. In the description to that, it says that any spam and such could be freely posted there (a thread for spam lol). People (me included) mis-understood the purpose of the thread due to the title.

But in my opinion, this thread itself is a pointless thread... unless you combine the 'talk about anything' and the 'smash index' into one thread. Maybe change the titles of the other threads instead... like 'smash index' to 'FAQs' (since that is basically what it is). Otherwise, this is basically a smash index that sends people to the smash index... kind-of redundant.

It's not that I hate your idea... it's just that you're trying to solve a problem by creating something that already exists. At least that's the way I see it... maybe there's something I'm missing...

Once again, just trying to help out :)

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
PM me with any more concerns. Thanks.

Edit: How about we try it out for a while, if it becomes a problem I'll get it taken down. Give it a chance.

DMoogle

A$
So it seems like jumping is all around shorter when running. Full jumps are shorter, short hops are shorter. Is it possible to do a running-SHDL with Fox? Or a running-SH d-air to u-air with Mario? If not, that would explain why I have so much trouble pulling off those moves consistently.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Is it possible to do a running-SHDL with Fox?
That's a definite no. You can only do a single laser in a running SH. Of course, you can move slightly back or forward after starting a standing SH, making your SHDL move slightly, but not a full-out run.

Or a running-SH d-air to u-air with Mario?
I'm not 100% sure but I imagine it's the same thing.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
That's a definite no. You can only do a single laser in a running SH. Of course, you can move slightly back or forward after starting a standing SH, making your SHDL move slightly, but not a full-out run.

I'm not 100% sure but I imagine it's the same thing.
Are you sure? I just went and checked on the n64 and I was able to do it (I think).

Should be easy to check with a TAS.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Are you sure? I just went and checked on the n64 and I was able to do it (I think).
I have never seen, for example, Isai or Alancitu ever do an SHDL in a running shorthop and they have more control over the game than I do.

Tested it out and still couldn't do it.

I just tested running dair->uair with Mario, though, and that seems to work.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
running SHDL is impossible.
What is possible is SHDL at the beginning of the dash animation so you kinda move forward or back

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
What is possible is SHDL at the beginning of the dash animation so you kinda move forward or back
That's not what happens, although it may feel like it. It's still a shorthop that *starts* without a dash, then the movement is pressed *after* jumping.

You can be doing a full dash or an initial dash or standing still - as long as you release the joystick right as you jump, you'll do the highest shorthop. A dash to a moving foward SHDL would look like

1.) Joystick -o>
2.) Joystick release
3.) C-Button/shorthop
4.) Tapping B while Joystick -o>

This all happens very quickly of course.
If you erased step two and had the joystick still held on the "-o>" position while you pressed c-button/shorthop, then you'd do a forward/low shorthop.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think Daed has it right. You have to kinda pause your run for a bit if you want to move at all during SHDL. Curiously enough backwards SHDL seems a lot easier...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Walking causes the 'shorter' hop as well. You can test this out with many characters on Hyrule. Go to the pit (aka ****-tent). Walk to the left and jump. Some characters cannot make the jump. If you stand still and jump, they'll make it over. Walking and running (anything with the control stick pressed) causes a shorter short-hop and full-hop.

Top Bottom