• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Battlecow

Play to Win
So I have a little cousin (a girl, age 9) who recently moved closer to my house and she's expressed interest in getting a little better at SSB64. She already knows most of the basic stuff (b moves, a moves, grabbing, some rolling and shielding) and she can usually beat level 3s and 4s, but she's still pretty green. Anyway, I was wondering what's the best way for a new smasher to get a little better? Should she play 1player or just brawl with level 5s until she gets better and then move up to level 6s?

Cause when I got the game, I got better by losing to way better players and handing off the controller (4th player hands off) and after a while I started getting tired of handing it off every time so I kind of just got better. But she's not as into it as I was (I think she mostly thinks the characters beating on eachother is cute :p) and I think that brutal a learning experience might kill her interest for the game.

I don't think she quite has the coordination for either of the practice rounds, and she's not too into 'em anyway. And she says Training mode is too boring so I'm kind of at a loss. Especially cause it's hard for me to play to her level without making it boring for both of us.

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Don't listen to the haterz. This is a question that gets asked a lot, and the best advice is for her to get acclimated to the game by just having fun for maybe a week or so, and then to play real players- playing CPUs overmuch at a low level is a great way to stunt your growth. The optimal solution would be to have her play online, but since she's a nine-year-old girl that's not a great idea; the key is to have her play against good people who are near her level. She'd probably learn a lot from getting crushed by you, but that might be boring and/or stunt both of your tastes for the game. In a situation like this, where you want the student to get pretty good pretty fast rather than really good really fast, having fun matches of whatever kind she likes should be good enough. Tell her a few AT's when you think she's ready; that should get her even more into it. Basically, it's a great game and she'll have a great time with it no matter how she plays.

The Star King

Smash Hero
What, the thread with a picture of some grandma with a bloody face? Not that interesting.

I thought it says "SUPERBANNED" if you're permbanned (Insane Carzy Guy... SIIIIIGHHH).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
(09:37:50PM) <asianaussie> no, the combo meter has a 2 frame window where one can escape

TRUE OR FALSE?

Also: (10:10:14PM) <asianaussie> im approximately 99.99% certain f-air > f-air is not a true combo [as Samus]

Can anyone verify? I believe it is a true combo if timed right.

The Star King

Smash Hero
F-air > F-air is a true combo at higher percents. I think the combo meter has a window where one can escape ONLY IF it's a missed tech, not sure about this one.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I once did Dair>Upsmash>Fair>Fair>Fsmash on 1der's Yoshi on Kongo, starting on the ground and finishing with the fsmash on the top left platform.

dandan

Smash Lord
I once did Dair>Upsmash>Fair>Fair>Fsmash on 1der's Yoshi on Kongo, starting on the ground and finishing with the fsmash on the top left platform.
feels to me like there is no way yoshi could not jump out of that, even though fair>fair connects, yoshi's jump should get him out of there. maybe i am wrong though, who knows.

kc921217

Smash Rookie
looking for a smooth game

well i moved to hong kong recently and i missed ssb64 so much
i want to play it online but i can never find a good, smooth. stable server.
any help with that?
does anyone have any suggestions?maybe an asian server (or client?wtever)?
or will p2p help?
i really want to play a good game(although i am not good)
many thanks

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I did some googling and came across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) <--- This, does anyone know what speed this would run Project 64k? Compared to Vista?
I just use mupen64plus on Linux for off-line smashing with people I know. PJ64 does work with the latest version of Wine, but I've only ever used it for OoT. Last time I attempted to get PJ64k working in Wine I had a really old Wine so it was a fail. And now I'm not that motivated to try b/c if I did set it up my productivity would fall off a cliff.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Yoshi can even second jump out of Fox's dair.
I've seen it before.
Yoshi can double jump out of fox's d-air (A la super armor) at lower percents, too much hitstun after a while. Same applies for Samus's u-air I believe and possibly the up b. You might have also seen a Yoshi Smash DI and then double jump out of multi-hit aerials.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Diing pikas fsmash question:
when pika gets an fsmash on me, right on the tip of the electric tounge thing as an edgeguard when i probably couldnt reach the edge, If i Smash torwards the tounge and then slide down it pulls me torward pikachu before smashing me off.
my question is if its possible to go from the step above to then di back into the wall, so di closer to pikachu and then into the wall for that l33t dreamland saving?
i havent really tried yet but it would make an incredible di save if you could

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure thats how it works actually...thats how I hook crazy DI on the ledges, you gotta roll the stick starting from the direction of the attack, ending in the direction of the ledge....some attacks, like pikas Fsmash make it very easy.. not sure why

star king could probably tell you :p

Top Bottom