• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

asianaussie

Smash Hero
no, it isnt, Samus is crap in ssb64, Link dont have recovery (is REALY BAD) and Kirby is too strong with huge hitboxes.

i play Smash since 2001, i started with Smash 64, and i still play it sometimes, if already is posible hack the Smash brawl and make modes like Balanced Brawl ( this one is make the game more balance fixing the bad characters) i thing is posible edit the smash 64.

that is the reason of my question.
64 is about ten times more balanced than the other games, and if you can't see that, you don't have the credibility to comment.

Samus has viable moves, the only thing about her is that she has to play attrition. You have to be a lot better than your opponent to beat a Pikachu with Samus, but it's not unwinnable. Her recovery is actually quite good.

IYM!

Smash Lord
yep, Smash 64 is more balanced than the others 2 games, but this is for the simple of this game, it dont have stop dodge or airdodge (i spelt it right?) also perfectshield, so to be good here you have to know how to do combos and mix it with another things

anyway, my question is if is posible balnce the game.

i am doing that question because Link'srecovery is so bad, will be cool to give him a better recovery, like Mario UpB,

Samus dont have many aproach options, so she ony depents of plataforms and her B uncharget or charget Shot

Luigu also dont have any aproach options, his dash attak is bad, and his fireballs arent usefull in the air

Yoshi is so bulnerable in the air, specialy when he do his second jump, his only recovery option.

and there are another examples

any way, it is only a question, sorry for be a little insistent. i only want an improvement in the lowers characters :)

your Character are Link Asianaussie, right? you dont thing the same about Link recovery?, is OK for you?

Well if you say that the game is balanced... i havent nothing to do, you are a BRR 64, and these people know much about ruleset and balance.(Or at least I understand it :))

I just keeping searhing for an positive answer :)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Samus can air camp all day, B-Air and D-Air give her a lot of options. Kirby in particular cannot break her platform camping easily. Her F-Air has decent range and can be used to stack damage. While she can't approach well, Samus benefits from maintaining her distance, unless you want to techchase the whole match.

Link has a godawful recovery, which is why you don't stray too close to edges in general. You have to camp a lot and avoid punishment, which is why he's a fun character. His recovery is bad, but to be honest you can live with that, just don't position yourself badly or camp thoughtlessly (try picking Hyrule lol) and you will recover every now and then.

I don't have any idea why you would go expending Yoshi second jumps recklessly or go DJCing into F-Smashes. He isn't vulnerable at all in his second jump, only grabs go through, and for some reason people don't use them often.

Luigi has no good approach options. This is true, but if you ever do get in, you can get a solid combo going. His shield is arguably the least punishable, which makes a defensive playstyle viable.

There will always be characters that are better than others, and if you want to balance the game out, be my guest. I'm fine with the game the way it is, and finding ways to do well with bad characters is one of my favourite pastimes in any tier-rankable game.

DMoogle

A$
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone that thinks Smash 64 is a simpler game than Brawl is. Many will argue that it's more complex than Melee too.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
I agree with everything asianaussie said, and also adding something to the Luigi part, his fireballs... @IYM! You said they're better on the ground, but it's completely the other way.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Samus can air camp all day, B-Air and D-Air give her a lot of options. Kirby in particular cannot break her platform camping easily. Her F-Air has decent range and can be used to stack damage. While she can't approach well, Samus benefits from maintaining her distance, unless you want to techchase the whole match.

Link has a godawful recovery, which is why you don't stray too close to edges in general. You have to camp a lot and avoid punishment, which is why he's a fun character. His recovery is bad, but to be honest you can live with that, just don't position yourself badly or camp thoughtlessly (try picking Hyrule lol) and you will recover every now and then.

I don't have any idea why you would go expending Yoshi second jumps recklessly or go DJCing into F-Smashes. He isn't vulnerable at all in his second jump, only grabs go through, and for some reason people don't use them often.

Luigi has no good approach options. This is true, but if you ever do get in, you can get a solid combo going. His shield is arguably the least punishable, which makes a defensive playstyle viable.

There will always be characters that are better than others, and if you want to balance the game out, be my guest. I'm fine with the game the way it is, and finding ways to do well with bad characters is one of my favourite pastimes in any tier-rankable game.
I am agree with you, you know very much about smash64. your points are good

i am the one than have to get better, (but i still want a better recovery for Link :p)

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone that thinks Smash 64 is a simpler game than Brawl is. Many will argue that it's more complex than Melee too.
yes, Smash 64 is a complex game, but when it was made, the creators had to keep less things in mind, like less characters, stages and Games modes

i am not saying than smash 64 is simple :)

@IYM! You said they're better on the ground, but it's completely the other way.
sorry my English isnt good enough
no entendi esta parte , me la podrias repetir porfavor? :) en español :bee:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not saying I disagree, but I'm pretty sure posting that in the Brawl sections would earn you some nasty replies. I wouldn't say that one would be "hard-pressed" to find someone who thinks Brawl is more complex.

And the Melee players probably wouldn't like what you said in the parentheses either, lol. Everybody is going to think the game they're most into is the one that's the deepest.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Can anyone seriously argue 64 is deeper in terms of objective complexities than Melee? I'd honestly like to see their reasoning.

Brawl kids will just say 'lol you have no air dodge or spotdodge or footstool we automatically win' *goes to chaingrab some more*

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
@IYM! That was pointing that Luigi's fireballs are better on the air.

Moreover: Brawl and Melee are the SSB64 COMBOLESS versions.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
Can a Tas'er please test to see if you can do a drop cancelled falcon uair?
im trying to do a chain in a combo but they just dont come out quick enough, do i need faster timing or is it actually impossible?
cheers

asianaussie

Smash Hero
what exactly causes the audience to chant

i've seen tent combos, hitting your opponent for mucho knockback while recovering and rebound spike > kill get them chanting, but i don't see a common denominator...

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Wait; since when are we talking about here?
Because irc there was a server/hosting moving...
but I may be too back in then though... *-)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I've been watching some videos of better people playing on Youtube, like Isai, and I had a question.

How do you quickly turn around? For example, to SHDL. When I run in a direction, turn, and jump to SHDL I continue to face the same direction. My speed is lacking.

In addition to this, is there a thread somewhere that goes over the general advanced game mechanics of SSB64?

DMoogle

A$
You can turn around with B moves. Run away, jump (while still facing the direction away from your opponent), then press the opposite direction (toward your opponent) while you press the B button.

Isai is arguably more than a "better" player. He's probably the best in the world, so you should definitely watch, like, all of his videos.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
You can turn around with B moves. Run away, jump (while still facing the direction away from your opponent), then press the opposite direction (toward your opponent) while you press the B button.

Isai is arguably more than a "better" player. He's probably the best in the world, so you should definitely watch, like, all of his videos.
QFT

Moreover:
@Kashakunaki Take a look at this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...kxMGYtOGViMzhhYzFlZDYz&authkey=CL-r_oAL&hl=en

It was taken from this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262536

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol peek i thought so, man i think ima just end up quitting smash entirely as a series. Brawl sucks *** because the harder you try the more the game fights to ruin your advances, 64 is nonexistant around here because ppl |>|-|34|2 it and online sucks. And melee died because all the dearborn heights crew went to brawl. I need a new fighter to play, **** smash :\

I'll still pop in to the boards here or kaillera once in a while to say hi...maybe

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Lol peek i thought so, man i think ima just end up quitting smash entirely as a series. Brawl sucks *** because the harder you try the more the game fights to ruin your advances, 64 is nonexistant around here because ppl |>|-|34|2 it and online sucks. And melee died because all the dearborn heights crew went to brawl. I need a new fighter to play, **** smash :\

I'll still pop in to the boards here or kaillera once in a while to say hi...maybe
all u need to do is get frogles to stop being scared and play u

firo

Smash Ace
Hey! I know you might think online sucks, but believing things are exactly the same and not trying to help it improve will be the death of the game. I made a topic about the status of Galaxy and improvements/questions about it and it hasn't seen that much action even though I know people have problems.

Is it desynchs/lag? A new netplay plugin has surfaced that uses TCP connections instead of kaillera's UDP. This means that it won't desynching nearly as often, if at all. Since TCP has a dedicated bandwidth line, it also means more stability during crowded traffic. Long sessions of smash and mario party are possible and have been done. It can also be used on any emulator. It's called AQZ netplay input and it works great.

If delay is the main problem, I'm not sure when you left, but everybody plays on LAN on the server now, which means that delay is significantly cut down. There is also regular P2P which you can get <5 frames with virtually everyone in the US.

If it's the community, well, there's not a whole lot to be done, but I'm sure the admins/mods have shifted since you have last come to the server, as they do often, and its normally kept run well. If the problem is not enough players, the server is more populated now than it was in years, and every additional player makes a difference. I would also try playing smash along with voice chatting, like in vent or skype. It adds an element of interaction that is often absent from online play.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Hey! I know you might think online sucks, but believing things are exactly the same and not trying to help it improve will be the death of the game. I made a topic about the status of Galaxy and improvements/questions about it and it hasn't seen that much action even though I know people have problems.

Is it desynchs/lag? A new netplay plugin has surfaced that uses TCP connections instead of kaillera's UDP. This means that it won't desynching nearly as often, if at all. Since TCP has a dedicated bandwidth line, it also means more stability during crowded traffic. Long sessions of smash and mario party are possible and have been done. It can also be used on any emulator. It's called AQZ netplay input and it works great.

If delay is the main problem, I'm not sure when you left, but everybody plays on LAN on the server now, which means that delay is significantly cut down. There is also regular P2P which you can get <5 frames with virtually everyone in the US.

If it's the community, well, there's not a whole lot to be done, but I'm sure the admins/mods have shifted since you have last come to the server, as they do often, and its normally kept run well. If the problem is not enough players, the server is more populated now than it was in years, and every additional player makes a difference. I would also try playing smash along with voice chatting, like in vent or skype. It adds an element of interaction that is often absent from online play.
there's way less ppl now than there used to be

locopoke

Smash Rookie
do any of you know what tool might've been used to do what's in this video? he seems to have added his own music and done some texture hacks.

Dsc

Smash Ace
Ok thats some pretty cool texture hacks, but he didnt add his own music into the emulator. In fact he didnt even do what dmoogle said, he just chucked the whole song on top of everything

BestSamusEver

Smash Rookie
Younger Smash Player

So I have a little cousin (a girl, age 9) who recently moved closer to my house and she's expressed interest in getting a little better at SSB64. She already knows most of the basic stuff (b moves, a moves, grabbing, some rolling and shielding) and she can usually beat level 3s and 4s, but she's still pretty green. Anyway, I was wondering what's the best way for a new smasher to get a little better? Should she play 1player or just brawl with level 5s until she gets better and then move up to level 6s?

Cause when I got the game, I got better by losing to way better players and handing off the controller (4th player hands off) and after a while I started getting tired of handing it off every time so I kind of just got better. But she's not as into it as I was (I think she mostly thinks the characters beating on eachother is cute :p) and I think that brutal a learning experience might kill her interest for the game.

I don't think she quite has the coordination for either of the practice rounds, and she's not too into 'em anyway. And she says Training mode is too boring so I'm kind of at a loss. Especially cause it's hard for me to play to her level without making it boring for both of us.

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Top Bottom