• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I switched from linux to Xp because I can not get linux working with online play like I was hoping, but I keep getting the following error when starting Project64k.

[4:43:12 AM 21/3/2011] Error 0x88760233 - Error creating 3D rendering surface

For graphics I am using the default plug in. Does anyone know how to fix this graphics error?

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Im trying to learn how to do U-air platform dropping combos with DK. Can someone give me a good step by step way to learn it. ive seen videos that explain how how to do it, but id like some better info on how to practice it. For example, should i practice u-air while falling, then expand to practice it while short hopping, and then piece it together?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Practise a lot of short hop U-Airs, then U-Airs dropping from platforms. Just learn the sort of pressure you feel comfortable applying to do a platdrop U-Air and practise it.

If you're on keyboard, good luck.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Not really many DK specific ones...maybe learn how to hit with the very end of his U-Air for comboing into U-Smash, Up-B OOS and how to use it in general, charged giant punch cancel (faster for turning than if it isn't charged)...dunno, really

coastercrazy10

Smash Rookie
Ordered a different adapter than the one I see linked around here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B9FIUU) since it was rated higher on amazon, but I'm having issues getting PJ64K to recognize the C-buttons. I've calibrated the controller as a device for the computer and the C-buttons register as z-axis and z-rotation in the joystick menu, but the emulator sees nothing. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Anybody have any ideas short of buying the other adapter? Is there a setting I need to change or is it potentially a compatibility problem?

dandan

Smash Lord
what plugin are you using, be sure to use the latest nrage plugin.
also, try calibrating it in windows.

coastercrazy10

Smash Rookie
dandan: downloaded the newest nrage plugin and things work great now. now if only I could connect to a game on kaillera things would be perfect.

EDIT: Got it, never mind. thanks again dandan

EDIT2: So I got everything set up, I can connect to games, but now my controller isn't registering when I'm connected to a game online. Offline it works just fine, and I can boot up the ROM and play with my controller fine just after I exit the online game. Any ideas as to why this would happen? I apologize for my newbiness, but I'm really stumped on this one...

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Ok sounds good. Are there any other advanced techniques that i can master as DK?
i would also say to learn how to properly use down b in combo. The first hit of down b combos to giant punch vs mid weights and down b also works in other combos.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Whats a character that has relative simple combos that work for most characters? Im at the level in smash where i can combo effective if i know what to do. I just lack the knowledge of when and how to go about doing them. I'm looking for a character to begin with that has general combos instead of very character specific combos. And not kirby, i can do dair into utilts, im looking for something a little more complex but not extreme hard like pikas uair chains.

thx

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking C.Falcon, i think ill go with him. Most combos are just variants of Fthrow, Uair, uair, dair/up-b/punch right?

firo

Smash Ace
Try one of these:

Jabo3D7, one of the older plugins that has some graphical glitches but runs well on old hardware
Mudlord's RiceVideo 6.1.3, set to use OpenGL in the options is a good one for bad computers, as even old hardware can run OpenGL pretty well, and has less graphical glitches

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
When you press the R button, the game basically acts as if you had just pressed Z and A at the same time (thus resulting in a grab). If you hold R, you'll shield (as if you were holding Z... holding A does nothing). When you spam grabs and shield, it's because you have pressed grab too early, and the "Z and A" happens before you are finished your first one, so you do not grab properly, and instead, the only thing that activates is the "holding Z and holding A, where A does nothing", resulting in you shielding.

This is similar to why people can use "R" to do aerials, because it's pressing "Z and A", thus it's pressing "A" ("Z" does nothing)... and it's also why people can Z/L-cancel with R, since you're pressing "Z".

Hope this helps... :)

Dsc

Smash Ace
Damn byoshi.. Didnt expect such a detailed response to such a simple question. THANKS. I fully understand now. :p

dmodae

Smash Rookie
is there anybody here that can help me maximize the performance of my online playing? it would be really helpful if someone that's very knowledgeable on the topic can help me reduce my lag, frame delay, etc. I figure it'd be easier if I can talk to somebody via AIM or some instant messenger so communication would be more efficient as I'm trying to change configurations and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
is there anybody here that can help me maximize the performance of my online playing? it would be really helpful if someone that's very knowledgeable on the topic can help me reduce my lag, frame delay, etc. I figure it'd be easier if I can talk to somebody via AIM or some instant messenger so communication would be more efficient as I'm trying to change configurations and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you gave us some information on here I'm sure the online community would make a group effort to help out. 2 heads are better than 1 etc.

For example, do you lag when you play offline? What type of computer are you using? Whereabouts do you live? (Not a seedy question, you might be trying to play in a server far away from yourself =P).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Has anyone ever ripped hitbox/kb/hitstun etc data from 64? If so, could someone point me towards this data?

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
anyone ever use R for jabs?

like, a>r for double jab or a>r (repeatedly) for a continuous jab. i like to switch it up sometimes, like using r for upsmash with certain chars.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I mash R in continuous jabs sometimes, but it's mostly because I'm lazily trying to do Pikachu's jab to grab combo, and I'm mashing it too slow. As far as up smash goes, if I was already holding up on the control stick (e.g. about to do an up-tilt), I'll press jump and A. That does an up smash as well, in all three games. Saves you from having to let go of the control stick and re-smashing it, especially when you don't use the c-stick (though in brawl if I remember right, holding up on the control stick and pushing the c-stick up makes you do up-tilt? Good thing I never use the C-stick).

Peek~

Smash Lord
If it's going to send you to the left
DI Down/Down Right

Right
DI Down/Down Left

I've seen it save me a couple of times but it can possibly lead to another thunder. I usually slide DI

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
DIing left/right doesn't help save you when it comes to thunder, since it's an off-the-top kill. If anything, I would think DIing away from the opponent with the attack would be best so that another thunder would be harder to hit with.

Top Bottom