• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Demo thread General

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
I have a doubt... Do all the characters have their 8 costumes?

Because I was expecting see FD Link all the time but until now the streams that I've seen play with Villager a lot hehe

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Well we know Little Mac has 16 colors/costumes, so maybe a couple have more.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I've been watching Zero's stream, and he's found a lot of stuff. I've also noticed a lot of stuff myself just watching. Here's what I've noted:

-Low percent combos in general are nuts. Land a grab or one of your good combo tilts close to zero and your opponent is going for a ride.
-Mario seems to have the best stuff here. Utiltx4, usmash is a combo, or instead of usmash he can go into uairs/bairs. If Mario goes for bairs, he can combo the opponent clean off-stage, but Mario's recovery isn't good enough to come back if he chases someone all the way off.
-The limits to grab -> regrab are real; Mario dthrow would be a cg except the regrab attempt just fails. Jabs generally cancel very badly into other stuff; it seems like jabs are mostly good for doing the full jab chain. However, there are multi-grab combos. Zero was able, with Mario, to do dthrow, utilt, utilt, regrab, dthrow, utilt and then go for further nonsense.
-Mario's fireballs are terrible, almost no horizontal distance on aerial fireballs. Let's hope Doc's pills are better!
-Villager's down smash is near worthless against a good opponent. A level 9 AI could mash out before any follow-up was possible at over 100%.
-Loid Rocket on Villager is Snake-esque as a punish. Villager will use it, get hit, and then the rocket will trade with the hit in the Villager's favor.
-The randomness on Villager's uair and dair seem like a big deal; they're his go-to physical aerials due to his projectile fair/bair, but man, one turnip versions of these are awful.
-Villager's slingshot aerials have a nice auto-cancel if you do them rising but a terrible landing lag if you do them late.
-Mega Man seems generally buffed from the E3 build, has some combo set-ups off dtilt, fair and bair are still great pokes but seem to have a really nice pushback to them (though bair has real landing lag).
-Mega Man's usmash is an extremely powerful kill move now.
-Zero is really not very good with Mega Man so it's hard to get a lot out of that, sorry.
-Link in general is much faster than he's ever been before, utilt combos into itself and still has sword range, aerials have low landing lag and combo well.
-Zairs have airdodge landing lag which is non-trivial. In other words, zair is really nerfed.
-Link's dair hits extremely hard with the initial hit but is really, really weak with the late hit. At low%, the late hit is unsafe on hit as Link bounces and can be punished.
-Link's usmash is still crazy amazing; you hit with one hit and it's virtually a guarantee you get the full thing including the pretty heavy hitting final hit.
-Link's dash attack is a very good kill move now.
-Zero is convinced Link is the best, but he wins more with Pikachu.
-Pikachu has way less lag than Brawl when hitting itself with Thunder; it's basically instant in the air and still fairly fast on the ground (like more than three times as fast as Brawl).
-Pikachu's nair is still a great semi-spike, and Pikachu has a million ways to combo into it or off of it.
-Pikachu's utilt in particular is fantastic, honestly seems almost as good as Mario's.
-Low% dash attacks are now generally safe on hit, and this is especially noticeable with Pikachu whose dash attack actually pops the enemy pretty well.
-The meteor on Thunder only seems to hit very high on the bolt.
-Ledges kinda suck for the grabber. You can't immediately regrab after a drop, and you can't let go of a ledge while still invincible. It seems like it will be very easy to ledge trap people, and grabbing the ledge seems generally unuseful when trying to edgeguard.
-The only item observation I have is that smoke balls now actually obstruct your view, and I was really confused by that given what they are in Brawl. You can avoid items in the demo by playing on the omega form of Battlefield.

That's it for now; there's probably a lot more that someone could take from that, but for anyone who missed the streams, hopefully that will help out a bit.

EDIT: This is a little observation, but as a Nintendo nerd, I enjoyed it a lot. Whenever Mario capes someone (as in actually hits, not just whiffs), there's now a special SFX that plays. It sounds very similar to the cape spin SFX from Super Mario World.

Last edited:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ugh... to be honest, i'm really busy this whole week. i intentionally packed in my evening schedule so that the time until saturday passes

x_x

guess i'm canceling groceries and clothing shopping.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
So..There's diferences from the E3 build ...?
The game looks more fluid, I can really see more competitive-potential compared from the demo build.
The matches that I saw in Denti stream were nice.

AndreGX

Smash Rookie
Guys, cobermani has said on his stream that the US is getting a Smash demo on Sep. 19!! Apparently GameXplain told him, so take it with a grain of salt!!
We didn't tell Cobermani anything regarding a demo since we don't know anything about it. Although I suppose you'd better take that with a grain of salt too, huh? :rotfl:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
We didn't tell Cobermani anything regarding a demo since we don't know anything about it. Although I suppose you'd better take that with a grain of salt too, huh? :rotfl:
Thanks for clearing that up. Now i can hope to see the demo much sooner.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
If anyone is playing , please test this :
ZeRo does , with Mario against Link : DThrow, UTilt, Utilt, DThrow, Utilt, Uair, Uair, UpB ...
It's possible ? This is some pretty good combo for a "Brawl 2.0" :troll:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, Sakurai confirmed the Demo to other areas at least (not that it was much of a worry). Still nice to hear from the man himself.

ZeRo does , with Mario against Link : DThrow, UTilt, Utilt, DThrow, Utilt, Uair, Uair, UpB ...
Looked like he may have been doing some Up Throwing. Or, perhaps, I just witnessed another combo. In any case, it was fairly extensive.

EDIT: Argh, Double Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It was not bad.............this is the first time I played the new smash bros game.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Zero was able to dthrow utilt utilt dthrow utiltx3 uairx2 super jump punch which is one crazy beefy combo. However, nailing that uair seems very precise and may be character specific (you also may have to start at exactly 0% or such), doing only two utilts on the second chain may be the solution, but he claimed you have a nasty frame trap into nair if they airdodge your uair anyway.

It's not just "Mario for top tier" though. Zero seems to favor Link (he's still very fast but also has sword normals!), and honestly, Pikachu is who has impressed me the most mostly because IMO even if his combo game isn't as good as Mario's he has a better neutral game and a still "very good" combo game. Then you have Villager and Mega Man who are just harder to figure out but have several clearly very powerful tricks. That's... everyone in this demo. The power level in this game is high, and I think there's going to be a whole lot for us to find when we have the game proper.

EDIT: some Villager stuff but not a lot:

Loid Rocket ridden generally puts Villager into helpless but doesn't if he hits someone.
If Vilalger dies, it empties his pockets.
Villager seems to have a more limited combo game than Mario/Link/Pikachu but can dair, utiltx2, fair which seems like it would work throughout the mid percents. He probably has something better that Zero hasn't found yet.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I never said Mario was top-tier.
I just liked to mention this amazing combo, discovered with some hours with this build.
The combo should be character specific, probably need to change something for others chars, BUT THIS IS SMASH BROS.

SSB is about changing the combos to different characters and DI's... This game seems to reduce a bit the DI power to break the combos, so I expect it to be character especific for we don't end up with a MVsC game.
For what I saw, this demo is okay-balanced. Seems to be not possible determine who is better until now, and no one is very worse than the others.
Mario is easier to combo from day 1 because we already understand his moveset and combo potential after so many games.
It's not like Utilt => Throw or UTilt+Uair wasn't a thing before.But he looks at least competitive, not a Ganondorf character.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I never said Mario was top-tier.
I just liked to mention this amazing combo, discovered with some hours with this build.
The combo should be character specific, probably need to change something for others chars, BUT THIS IS SMASH BROS.

SSB is about changing the combos to different characters and DI's... This game seems to reduce a bit the DI power to break the combos, so I expect it to be character especific for we don't end up with a MVsC game.
For what I saw, this demo is okay-balanced. Seems to be not possible determine who is better until now, and no one is very worse than the others.
Mario is easier to combo from day 1 because we already understand his moveset and combo potential after so many games.
It's not like Utilt => Throw or UTilt+Uair wasn't a thing before.But he looks at least competitive, not a Ganondorf character.
So rude to the 'Dorf. If Bowser is any indication, Ol' 'Dorf should have good potential.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Does anybody know if this is a limited usage demo like most 3DS demos? And if so how many uses are there?

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
The UK eShop should update tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers!

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
-Villager's down smash is near worthless against a good opponent. A level 9 AI could mash out before any follow-up was possible at over 100%.
Maybe hitting with the backside hitbox will be more in your favor. You do get longer impale time with more charge, and hitting with the end would give you a better frame advantage as well.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Yooooo I'm wearing a streak right now and this dude did some crazy Mario combos. Like damn bruh Nair -> dtilt -> dash attack was so smooth. Some stuff led right off stage too. Crazy

Link seemed so much faster, it's beautiful. His landing lag is so minimal on Nair and back air and I believe f-air. It's cool watching link play

So so hyped

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
Does anyone know if we can re-watch ZeRo's Smash 4 stream on Twitch? Hopefully so!
*EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Yooooo I'm wearing a streak right now and this dude did some crazy Mario combos. Like damn bruh Nair -> dtilt -> dash attack was so smooth. Some stuff led right off stage too. Crazy

Link seemed so much faster, it's beautiful. His landing lag is so minimal on Nair and back air and I believe f-air. It's cool watching link play

So so hyped
You want sexy Mario combos? Check out ZeRo's video:
If my understanding is correct ZeRo says that if he times this right, the CPU won't get out of it and even if he messes up, he can still punish the airdodge.

Also, just wanted to say that this is definitely character-dependant. GimR uploaded a video of the... unfortunate side effect of Megaman's Up B about an hour ago. In general though, the VGBC stream attempted some stuff like what you see above and it just wasn't as effective on the characters who weren't Link lol.

Last edited:

HyperGumba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Taro_Kuroyoko
3DS FC
4227-1462-6701
You want sexy Mario combos? Check out ZeRo's video:
If my understanding is correct ZeRo says that if he times this right, the CPU won't get out of it and even if he messes up, he can still punish the airdodge.

Also, just wanted to say that this is definitely character-dependant. GimR uploaded a video of the... unfortunate side effect of Megaman's Up B about an hour ago. In general though, the VGBC stream attempted some stuff like what you see above and it just wasn't as effective on the characters who weren't Link lol.
Jesus Christ, this was absolutely beautiful. I already tried a little comboing in Brawl, but it never quite worked out. So good to see this working this well in Smash 4.

I am getting more giddy at Mario with every passing video @.@

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm sad that no one I watched was really any good (or very creative) with Megaman, but that will not deter me.

Yeah, whatever arguments said a demo would kill hype were so wrong.

As were all of us who said there wouldn't be one, but hey, I'm happy to be wrong.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I'm sad that no one I watched was really any good (or very creative) with Megaman, but that will not deter me.

As were all of us who said there wouldn't be one, but hey, I'm happy to be wrong.
I'm actually getting really good with all the characters except villager ... he's been a little more difficult to use!

Megaman is great! just have to know when to time his attacks to land a pretty awesome combo!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i'm not a competitive level smasher, but i love the way villager's flowerpot, tree, and bowling ball fly off ledges. also, when i cut down one tree into a second tree, the second tree fell down? not sure if it wasn't simply somehow responding to my axe (i was doing FFA against 3 CPUs and everything is still so O_O to me).

the fast-fall is REALLY fast and smooth. i keep almost killing myself.
villager's aerials are a bit odd to get used to since you either have projectiles, chance-based turnips, or flopping lazy spin. though i noticed the slingshot is actually stronger than you'd think and can easily get a KO if used offstage.
as reported before, there are DEFINITELY ways to get massive lag on landing, but actually most of the time i find myself landing and very promptly capable of attacking/movement.

everything feels very smooth, which kinda surprised me even though i was expecting it. i can't wait for the full version so i can (i assume) change the controls around, though. don't like tap jump and the shoulder buttons feel reversed to me.

anyway, none of these characters have been my mains before, so i don't really know what exactly to do with any of them. wish i had super amazing impressions like a more competitive smasher would be able to give.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Ha! For those who are complaining about the controls have clearly not play Kirby Fighters! My hands will be well adjusted to the demo!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Ha! For those who are complaining about the controls have clearly not play Kirby Fighters! My hands will be well adjusted to the demo!
not saying they're bad, just that i am not used to them (i'm used to the reverse) and intend to switch them at the first opportunity. :v

Last edited:

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Can you use the control pad instead of the stick to move and attack? I feel more comfortable using the pad, but if not I'll learn to adjust.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I always basically ignore L and use R and Z (or shield grab) for all of the functions, so odds are I'll have Y or X set to grab.

Can't wait, though. So hype for all of this. Having a hard time making myself do homework while all these streams are on.

Can you use the control pad instead of the stick to move and attack? I feel more comfortable using the pad, but if not I'll learn to adjust.
You'd have a harder time distinguishing between a dash and a walk, but aside from that, I don't see major reasons not to allow the Dpad. That said, it's up to Sakurai. The past games have all had Dpads and haven't allowed their use for movement (aside from on the Wiimote sideways), so we'll have to see.

Last edited:

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884

Leffen is discovering some Mega Man stuff right now. Mega Man has a ton of options! He's looking solid.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you're so used to using the directional pad in Kirby Triple Deluxe, however, that could be a problem if there's no option to use the directional pad to move your fighter.

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or is Pikachu's Thunder way slower than in past games? I keep getting thrown off, both playing as and against Pikachu.

Top Bottom