• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Demo thread General

TheOthin

Smash Apprentice
Well, we'll have to see exactly which characters are vulnerable to the combos and which are able to escape, and at what cost. If Megaman has the option of bailing out of any combo with a gap, even a tiny one, that's points for him - although as we've seen, bailing can still be punished. And it wouldn't keep the combos from existing against other characters like Link.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Well, we'll have to see exactly which characters are vulnerable to the combos and which are able to escape, and at what cost. If Megaman has the option of bailing out of any combo with a gap, even a tiny one, that's points for him - although as we've seen, bailing can still be punished. And it wouldn't keep the combos from existing against other characters like Link.
Yes, MegaMan still needs to get to the ground, so he can be punished for bailing. Also, Mario is a mid speed character, maybe a character like Sheik can link her combos with less "gaps" in between?

Also if and this is a big IF; moves like Megaman's ^B happen to become to over centralizing in the meta and the only other moves that can do this are specials, they can potentially be banned from tournaments in favor of a more balanced special thanks to the availability of custom options. This must be taken with a huge grain of salt though, we don't know if this ability to "escape" combos will be effective against all combos and escaping is still potentially punishable. I think we'll have to wait and see either way, hopefully only specials like Megaman's ^B are capable of this.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@ all the ppl

Yeah, anything else that has 1-frame start-up should be able to theoretically go off and combo break. We don't really have very many moves like that in smash though. Stuff like air dodges aren't invincible for a few frames in so they can't combo break.

Things to look out for would probably be stuff like Luigi Nair, G&W Up-B, Fox Shine- moves that are pretty notorious for their insanely low start-up in the series. Mega Man Up-B just happens to be among these moves, and it has a small kink in the mechanics that makes it look especially silly when used for a combo escape.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
@ all the ppl

Yeah, anything else that has 1-frame start-up should be able to theoretically go off and combo break. We don't really have very many moves like that in smash though. Stuff like air dodges aren't invincible for a few frames in so they can't combo break.

Things to look out for would probably be stuff like Luigi Nair, G&W Up-B, Fox Shine- moves that are pretty notorious for their insanely low start-up in the series. Mega Man Up-B just happens to be among these moves, and it has a small kink in the mechanics that makes it look especially silly when used for a combo escape.
Thanks for clearing that up once more.

Khao

Smash Lord
Kinda can't help but to wonder...

If there's enough time to do "instant" moves like Mega Man's Rush...

What does that mean for stuff like Marth's counter? Will you even be able to combo Marth without getting a sword in the face? Or is that thing not fast enough either?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Kinda can't help but to wonder...

If there's enough time to do "instant" moves like Mega Man's Rush...

What does that mean for stuff like Marth's counter? Will you even be able to combo Marth without getting a sword in the face? Or is that thing not fast enough either?
Counters are actually pretty slow, starting on frames 5 or 6 usually. These also aren't fast enough to be used in strings.

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rayze_Darr
3DS FC
5327-0902-3469
Here's a question I have, if anyone with the demo is willing to test it. So, Villager plants a Sapling. What happens if Mario sprays it with F.L.U.D.D.? Will the Sapling grow into a big, beautiful Tree?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Here's a question I have, if anyone with the demo is willing to test it. So, Villager plants a Sapling. What happens if Mario sprays it with F.L.U.D.D.? Will the Sapling grow into a big, beautiful Tree?
I too want to know if science actually occurs in said game.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Just to be clear, G&W's Fire (up special) is not frame one in Brawl. It goes invincible on frame 5 and doesn't move a bit before then either so anything it lets you escape could also be escaped by airdodge/spotdodge. It's a good option for G&W in those situations mostly because it puts him really far away not for its fast start-up compared to the universal escape options.

Honestly, there's a pretty good chance Rush is going to be one of a kind though I'm not super familiar with Sonic's up special which also does involve a spring. The exact parameters of this stuff, of course, would be a lot easier to test with the actual game in hand, of course; I find testing stuff very difficult when I'm just watching other people play!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Question: Has anyone confirmed whether or not we can transfer data from the demo into the main game? I've got 6077 coins and I'd love to see that be used, but if not, well whatever.

Top Bottom