• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS's Best Stages to Worst (Every Stage Described)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
In light of the new SBR stage list, maybe you could look into the other stages there.

Personally, I'd go for the following:
Distant Planet - Bad
You can do a lot of neat ledge camping here, and can camp the underside of the main platform on the left side of the stage on many characters, but the slope on the left, low ceiling and close sides are all bad, bad news. Furthermore, the sinking platforms make platform camping nearly useless and severely hamper your ground game. Plus, if you begin the match on the slope, you lose your suit parts. :(

Green Hill Zone - Neutral
As long as you start near the bottom, the first stock is a lot of fun, let your suit pieces fly around the bowl. Most opponents won't even be able to touch you, and you can generally get a quick KO. Afterwords, you can generally camp the bowl with little difficulty, and can generally get easy access to the checkpoints. The main issue is that it is really hard to KO from your safe position, and to do so, you have to come out of the bowl. This telegraphs your attempt to KO and presents an opportunity for your opponent to KO you, too with those close sides. Good against characters that struggle at KOing off the top.

Yoshi's Island (Pipes) - Neutral
More suit piece fun! The progress of a match on this stage is almost exactly like one on GHZ. It's easy to gain and maintain control, but KOing is rather difficult, and your attempts to do so will often be telegraphed. The spinning boxes can be useful in improvised combos, though.

Green Greens - Neutral
This is a good stage for ZSS to camp on, and suit pieces do fairly well here. You can set off the exploding blocks at no danger to yourself, too, for easy KOs. However, the close walls and ceiling are an ever-present risk, so I'd hesitate to put it at good.

Mario Circuit - Good
This match is actually a very FD-like match. Generally, you'll do well against characters that have trouble camping you, and an even better against characters that you can combo. The close walk-off edges make Paralyzer -> grab combos really effective. Be careful against good campers, though. You can also generally get time to void two of your suit pieces here, if that's your thing, since it's hard for most characters to pressure you on this stage. This allows you to be more aggressive with the one left over.

Onett - Bad
This stage would probably be neutral if it weren't for those **** cars. They boosted the frequency with which cars drive by from Melee, so maintaining control of the bowl is much harder than with Pipes and GHZ. Thus, you often have to give up your advantage, and your opponent can capitalize on your concession.

Port Town - Horribly Horrendous (if it's legal at your tourney, ban it every time)
Few grabable ledges, cars that KO do 20% and KO at 40%, close walls and ceiling... There really is nothing that can make this stage good for you. Basically, you cannot win on this stage unless your opponent is horrible. Ban this stage in every match if your TO is allowing it.

Skyworld - Bad
Although there are plenty of opportunities for improv combos and platform mindgames, as well as out of nowhere lucky recoveries from the moving platform, this stage presents ZSS with several difficulties. For one thing, the fact that your ledges can be taken from you, the finnicky platforms that can only sometimes be passed through, and the fact that you don't have very many easy to pull off spikes make this a difficult stage to use well.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Thanks for all that, but all those stages better be banned. I don't care too much on what the back room says, At every recent tourney I've been to far, all of those stages were banned.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Thanks for all that, but all those stages better be banned. I don't care too much on what the back room says, At every recent tourney I've been to far, all of those stages were banned.
That's all well and good for your area, but some may not be so lucky. I figure we might as well try to be informative for as many people as possible, and include even the most unlikely of CP stages.

Snakeee

Smash Master
That's all well and good for your area, but some may not be so lucky. I figure we might as well try to be informative for as many people as possible, and include even the most unlikely of CP stages.
Alright I'll add these to the first post and give you the credit.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I was seeing some opinions on people who really didn't like Smashville for ZSS. Would it be because the platform would probably aid other's recoveries while really not helping ZSS with hers?

Garde

Smash Ace
Smashville is just an awkward stage because of the moving platform, period. If you can get used to it, it's not a particularly bad stage, but it's not nearly as good as other stages that have stationary platforms or allow for more maneuverability.

Also, I rescind my statement about all sloped stages being a bane to ZSS. I've actually been liking Lylat a lot recently. It seems to hurt a lot of characters' recoveries a lot more than her own (just no down+B wall jump, which is pretty rarely used, imho). The slants in the stage are pretty minor, now that I'm a lot less reliant on the side+B. I have yet to fight against short characters on Lylat, which will make it more frustrating, I'm sure, but I had pretty good luck with it against the medium-ish to large characters (Link, Samus, Ike, Marth, Lucario, Wolf, etc.). It could also be that I just know the stage better than my opponents, but it was definitely giving them a fair bit of trouble while I didn't notice all that much myself.

For the record, I don't rely on side+B and her ground game as much as I used to, and I think that maneuvering around this stage by jumping helps out a lot because of the d-smash on platforms, mostly (meaning smaller characters will again be a completely different story). I would say that this stage is neutral against most medium-large characters and pretty freakin' bad against any small character like Kirby, MK, Olimar, etc.

Top Bottom