• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo wins Smash for Wii U at The Big House 5

TSM ZeRo kept his Smash for Wii U win streak alive at The Big House 5 this weekend in Michigan. Prior to the event, ZeRo (view rankings) appeared hesitant about entering the largest fall major and many wondered if a break was on the horizon. Despite this, ZeRo found the motivation to push through and compete - and viewers were treated to some of the best Smash Wii U gameplay to date with over 50,000 concurrent viewers tuning into the finals.

ZeRO Keeps his win streak alive at The Big House 5!

The drama started for ZeRo on Saturday when he was knocked into the losers bracket by Seagull Joe (view rankings) in the second round of phase 2 pools. Channeling his inner-Mango, ZeRo went on a tear through MVD, Static Manny, Wizzrobe, Ally, PG ESAM, Zenyou, Rayquaza, Anti, #3 ranked Dabuz, and finally reset the bracket and took home the championship against rival #2 ranked Nairo (view rankings) in a 3-0, 3-2 finish.

Check out the top 32 results and the match with Seagull below!

The Big House 5 1v1 Top 32
512 Entrants - $6,120 Prize Pool (includes $1,000 Compendium Bonus)
View Bracket

1. TSM @ChileZeRo - Sheik - $2,448
2. Liquid @Nairo - Zero Suit Samus - $1,224
3. iQHQ @Dabuz - Rosalina & Luma - $918
4. Anti - Sheik, Mario, Luigi, Wii Fit Trainer - $612
5. iQHQ Vinnie - Sheik - $306
5. @Rayquaza07 - Rosalina & Luma, Sheik - $306
7. Zenyou - Mario - $153
7. Abadango - Meta Knight, Pac-Man, Rosalina & Luma - $153
9. Seagull Joe - Sonic
9. PG ESAM - Pikachu
9. Trela - Ryu
9. 6WX - Sonic & Ryu
13. Megafox - Fox
13. Ally - Mario
13. Fatality - Captain Falcom
13. Karna - Sheik
17. San - Ike
17. Ryuga - Ike
17. Ksev - Fox
17. Wizzrobe - Sheik
17. Ryo - Ike
17. Shel - Luigi
17. Demitus - Captain Falcon
17. Zinoto - Diddy Kong
25. StaticManny - Sonic, Roy
25. Slither2Hunger - Meta Knight
25. PinkFresh - Pit
25. LOE1 - Luigi
25. Poke - Luigi
25. ***** - Toon Link
25. Average Joe - Donkey Kong
25. XeroXen - Mario

The Big House 5 2v2 Results
115 Teams of 2 - $2,300 Prize Pool
View Bracket

1. Nairo & ZeR0 - $517.50 each
2. Abadango & Anti - $230 each
3. Ryuga & Rayquaza - $172.50 each
4. ESAM & MVD - $115 each
5. StaticManny & Ryo - $57.50 each
5. Ksev & ***** - $57.50 each
7. Dabuz & Trela
7. Wizzrobe & Mr. E

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

ZeRo once again has another predictable win...
So guys, this person...
Eh, you know what, eh...
He's just going to ruin Smash Wii U's competitive scene with Sheik.
Not like anyone cares anymore.
ZeRo winning with Sheik...
What a damn surprise.

(I'm not even trolling here, this is really my immediate reaction to this. He wins all the time, and it's just boring to watch a tournament with HIM in it now, since all he does is win. Any tournament with HIM in it will result in HIM winning, pretty much.)
Next time keep your initial reaction to yourself because boy did I have a good laugh outta that one. Lmao

Sad to see no representation of Shulk or Robin in the top 32. I guess I'll take the Ike rep as a consolation prize.
I still remember seeing some vids of ZeRo playing Shulk..
I agree that Nairo should have released his inner tactician and played Robin. Darn it, does the Arcthunder buff and the DThrow change mean nothing to you?

Also, message from Grammar Nazi: The article states that Fatality was playing Captain Falcom.
I got 33rd and took a game off ZeRo.

Almost there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXdT5Ab938

He did, however, totally body me with Diddy Kong in games 2 and 3.

ZeRo once again has another predictable win...
So guys, this person...
Eh, you know what, eh...
He's just going to ruin Smash Wii U's competitive scene with Sheik.
Not like anyone cares anymore.
ZeRo winning with Sheik...
What a damn surprise.

(I'm not even trolling here, this is really my immediate reaction to this. He wins all the time, and it's just boring to watch a tournament with HIM in it now, since all he does is win. Any tournament with HIM in it will result in HIM winning, pretty much.)
Stop crying about it and beat him.
I've never heard of any competitive scene who was ruined by one individual. It's people like you who ruins a scene.

I didn't watch the tournament fully admittedly, so I don't know the full story. What did he need calming down over?

Really, it was more Robin that got me though. Meta Knight is at least a decent pick against top tiers like Sheik and Rosalina. Robin just isn't, even for someone as good as Nairo. It flat out felt like throwing the match.

*coughs quietly*

Man, people are dumping on Nairo like they would do better. You get to grand finals vs ZeRo and report back.

No, that's alright. I'll wait.

Zero has 4 letters in name. Shiek has 5 letters in his name. Sm4sh has been out for a year now. Illuminati has 10 letters. 4+5+1=10! Zero mains diddy who is red and has 5 letters on his name just like satan.
*pats him on the back*

Nice try, man, nice try... :(

I'm not sponsored by NS anymore. I left them a week ago (conveniently lol). Could you remove the NS from my results? Thanks in advance.

:018:

"oh **** I have a percentage advantage on ZeRo here let me SD real quick"
"ZeRo's in losers? Better sandbag and pick characters I don't play to fight him ololol"
"mmm I'm doing too well right now I'd better choke"

Last edited:
It had to be sonic though...... I'd still rather root for a undefeated champ then a spammy annoying sonic

*coughs quietly*
One win suddenly doesn't make it a good match up for Robin.

My point is that Nairo is better with other characters whom he could have beaten ZeRo with pretty assuredly, but he actively chose not to pick them. It's disappointing, a very unhype way to end the tournament.

Anti vs Zero had me FLIPPING OUT! I'm a fan of Zero, and I was popping off when Anti got wins and those sick as hell UAir Up B combos. One of the most intense sets I've ever seen.

One win suddenly doesn't make it a good match up for Robin.

My point is that Nairo is better with other characters whom he could have beaten ZeRo with pretty assuredly, but he actively chose not to pick them. It's disappointing, a very unhype way to end the tournament.
I wouldn't say that Nairo would have won "pretty assuredly" if he went ZSS the whole way through. He did lose set two after all even though he tried.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that Nairo would have won "pretty assuredly" if he went ZSS the whole way through. He did lose set two after all even though he tried.
Well ZSS and Sheik were his options really.

Considering how he still managed to play quite well with his secondaries, I think it was a fairly safe bet he could have won if he went with his best characters.

Isn't Zero the type of dude to read and adapt to a person's playstyle over time? The way I saw it, Neiro figured that he probably couldn't beat Zero in the first set after losing that first match with ZSS, so he played the next two matches to warm himself up while using different characters, then came back as ZSS with the full intention to win.

Nairo was trying to get a download on Zeros habits and repeated mistakes and movement patterns with those soul seatching character changes. Because his best shot to win was his zss and game1 his zss got bodied hard. Nairo did what he felt was best for him

Well ZSS and Sheik were his options really.

Considering how he still managed to play quite well with his secondaries, I think it was a fairly safe bet he could have won if he went with his best characters.
I think it would come down to how Nairo reacted to losing set one.
  1. Nairo cracks slightly under the pressure and ZeRo is able to snowball his momentum from the first set to win the second one.
  2. Nairo keeps his composure and gives his all set two as well, at which point it becomes not only a test of skill, but of mental stamina.
I really think that going all out was Nairo's best option. Not because he would have another set to fall back on, but because ZeRo wasn't on his game earlier in the tournament and his normally impeccable mental state may have been weaker then usual. If Nairo was able to keep pushing ZeRo through two sets he might have been able to exhaust ZeRo mentally. Still, victory is never assured when going against someone like ZeRo.
Isn't Zero the type of dude to read and adapt to a person's playstyle over time? The way I saw it, Neiro figured that he probably couldn't beat Zero in the first set after losing that first match with ZSS, so he played the next two matches to warm himself up while using different characters, then came back as ZSS with the full intention to win.
Nairo was trying to get a download on Zeros habits and repeated mistakes and movement patterns with those soul seatching character changes. Because his best shot to win was his zss and game1 his zss got bodied hard. Nairo did what he felt was best for him
Nairo most definitely used set one to try to download ZeRo, he's said so himself. Reason it didn't work was he made it obvious he was trying to download ZeRo. Why in the world would he not play ZSS unless he was trying to figure out ZeRo without giving away his own play with his character? The problem is though when you do something like that against a player of ZeRo's caliber he's going to adapt as well and change how he plays to nullify the download. He tried to employ a strategy and it failed and so he lost.

Zero has 4 letters in name. Shiek has 5 letters in his name. Sm4sh has been out for a year now. Illuminati has 10 letters. 4+5+1=10! Zero mains diddy who is red and has 5 letters on his name just like satan.
What witchcraft did I just read?

****...my :4sonic: is bull crap

:018:
Don't let it shake you Joe, your play spoke for itself, keep up your work with Sonic in 1.1.1 Faster characters are in a more advantageous spot with the constant combo's and pressure afforded them. I felt your match against Zero you were not easily readable and he couldn't adapt to the pace. Your later games just weren't the same.

I really, really hate Sonic, but even so, mad respect for taking down Zero. People try to talk like Seagull Joe just caught him in a bad moment when pretty much nobody else ever seems to do this in a tourney?

C'mon, guys. He beat freaking ZERO. Yes, Sonic is a ****ball who is rightly loathed, but there have been plenty of Sonics to fail against this game's most dominating player.

I really don't think Nairo would have had as close a 2nd set with ZeRo as he did if it wasn't for being able to warm up and shake off his tournament nerves in the 1st set.

Game 1, he went ZSS and got beat. He started the set on his main and was already at a disadvantage, so he could either try to bring it back (and give ZeRo more time to adapt for the most likely scenario of a 2nd set), or mix it up and see if he could find a weakness.

It was all in good fun, but I think it was also a smart choice.

Don't let it shake you Joe, your play spoke for itself, keep up your work with Sonic in 1.1.1 Faster characters are in a more advantageous spot with the constant combo's and pressure afforded them. I felt your match against Zero you were not easily readable and he couldn't adapt to the pace. Your later games just weren't the same.
I haven't even explored 1.1.1 yet, but I assume :4sonic: is better due to more shield stun and 0 nerfs this time lol. Should be interesting to explore.

Zero has 4 letters in name. Shiek has 5 letters in HER name. Sm4sh has been out for a year now. Illuminati has 10 letters. 4+5+1=10! Zero mains diddy who is red and has 5 letters on his name just like satan.
fixed shiek isn't a dude, even if you try to argue she is in the Zelda games, you can't claim she is in smash, especially when Nintendo themselves have out right said shiek is female

That "for glory" Sonic got 9th at a national and took a set off of the best Smash 4 player. :]
Honestly? Joe isn't a bad guy. He just uses BS tactics that make people want to cheer against him. It's like saying I won a national, but only because I used wobbling.

Even if Nairo did throw the first set to calm down and download ZeRo:

1. Why would you want to calm down and let that adrenaline go away? Maybe it is just me, but when I am feeling tense during a match in any game it helps me out a lot.

2. He was downloading how ZeRo played against his Metaknight and Robin, not how he played against his ZSS. I don't think ZeRo is the type to keep doing what caused him to lose anyways.

Pretty much the first set looked like Nairo was being way too cocky. I really thought he could win the tournament.

Last edited:
I'm still salty about Nairo choking during EVO. This just makes matters worse.

ZeRo, my man! Congratulations, big guy.

No Nesses ranked? None?
Good. They know what's good for them. Eheheheh...
(I'm kidding, guys.)
(A little.)
But I actually predict Ness to fall in the tier list due to people exploiting a weakness of his: his range. People are also learning how to deal with PK Fire, and they're learning how to gimp Ness with more ease. Unless they continue to buff him, I really can't see him staying in the upper-high tiers, and this Big House reflects that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom