• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo wins EVO 2015 over Mr. R

TriTails

Smash Lord
Congrats for winning da EVO 2015 ZeRo!

No seriously guys. Let's not be so pessimistic about this. Yes, we all know ZeRo is the best Smash 4 player in the world, but the upsets have been really news to all of us. This means ZeRo is better than I thought, he withstood 'Super Custom Bros.'!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I absolutely loved the last set. ZeRo switching to Diddy and hearing the hoo hah chant was great. Since he won EVO, isn't he switching to Melee now? Not really a huge fan of it, but at least he can use whatever character he likes without it getting nerfed.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I might take a break from watching sm4sh singles the hype was mild and ZeRo is running circles around people. I hope to see more doubles. Congrats to him. Also the commentary was really bad with sky and max. Sky kept saying fiend over and over.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I might take a break from watching sm4sh singles the hype was mild and ZeRo is running circles around people. I hope to see more doubles. Congrats to him. Also the commentary was really bad with sky and max. Sky kept saying fiend over and over.
I pretty much 100% agree with you here. Sky please shut up with the FIEND crap and repetitive fake hype...

I'm very very much a Melee player/watcher and I've only played Sm4sh a few times, but watching CEO 2015 I REALLY got into Sm4sh doubles and there are a few characters that were a lot of fun to watch in singles like lil Mac, Yoshi, Mario, Ness, Samus......the CEO commentators were on point as well.

But man this Evo I was watching the Finals for Sm4sh while I waited for Melee and it was just bad. Seriously the hand warmers for some of the Melee pools seemed more exciting :/ I'm shocked so many people are speaking so highly of the the finals, really? I've seen Sm4sh locals that were more hype. C'mon now....

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Congrats, ZeRo! One of my favorite players to watch and he definitely deserves it after all his hard work for the last few months! Remember your promise for Melee! So proud of this guy! Mario is 5th with Ally? Oh man, Mario's looking good again in the metagame so far!

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Congrats, ZeRo! One of my favorite players to watch and he definitely deserves it after all his hard work for the last few months! Remember your promise for Melee! So proud of this guy! Mario is 5th with Ally? Oh man, Mario's looking good again in the metagame so far!
I had the biggest grin on my face when Ally out camped that Sonic player and timed him out.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I had the biggest grin on my face when Ally out camped that Sonic player and timed him out.
Me too. Makes me so happy to see Mario in top 8. Yeah, speaking of Sonic, I don't see any Sonic representation in top 8. Ugh... Kinda looks bad for him in the metagame. Who was that Sonic player? Couldn't watch the Evo stream.

Last edited:

1o2

Smash Rookie
As soon as Nairo lost to Mr R, there was no hope in beating ZeRo. I mean, Nairo could've taken 2 games off of ZeRo, but choked them away with missed kill opportunities. Of course ZeRo did obliterate Nairo game 3, but Nairo was definitely still in there match 1 and 2.Mr. R was getting slaughtered until the last game, where he couldn't take out ZeRo at 160%+.

@ Kulty Kulty the Sonic player was StaticManny

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The top 8 character pool is awesomely varied! Glad to see players branching out and succeeding with a wider range of choices.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Not the greatest Smash 4 tourney in my opinion, but there were some good matches nonetheless. I know we can all say that ZeRo's win was predictable, but at least he's still one of the more exciting Smash 4 players. Abadango also showed that in his case, a campy playstyle can be cool to watch.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
That was a epic tournament!
It came out a lot better than I expected, mainly on character choice and on most of the playstyles (aggressive!!), except for "Static" Manny and Dabuz, but they chose to be like that since the very beginning. I wonder if Smash 4 will be back next year!

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Can't say I'm shocked, but congrats, ZeRo. You sure have come a long way since running the clock down at E3. :troll:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
ESAM vs Abadango still remains one of my favorite parts of the tournament though. Also, Abadango's 1 frame wafts were incredible.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
ZeRo played absolutely amazing, as expected. The last set with Mr. R was even better. And the way he ended it had my family standing up cheering. ZeRo is definitely the man. Mr.R though played very well and I know his country is very proud. I love this game.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Nairo vs ZeRo was one of the most disappointing things I have ever seen.

Abadango vs Dabuz, on the other hand, was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Sad to see people calling one guy's Sonic to mean that customs are bad. Seriously, guys. StaticManny is a campy player in the first place. Don't hate the game, hate the player. (Wait...) Overall, I think EVO was a very good representation of customs: nobody won any major upsets with customs, and aside from Hammer Spin Dash, none of the supposed "broken" customs really won any games. There weren't even any DKs in top 32. Instead we had a Wario, ZSS and Wii Fit utilizing customs in very interesting and exciting ways. Heck, ESAM and Dabuz were both using "broken" custom moves, and neither of them really won them matches. (Unless you consider Thunder Wave "broken")

Also sad to see Ally gentlemen to Smashville against a Sheik. C'mon man.

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
Now with 1 year melee dedication, the future sm4sh tournaments will not feature ZeRo. Now is your chance Nairo! Win APEX 2016!

Last edited:

Macattack2020

Smash Rookie
NNID
macattack2020
Playing all day Friday and through Saturday morning, ZeRo came up with his biggest win yet in the young life of Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. His win over Europe's Mr. R keep his record in 2015 unblemished and for the achievement in front of thousands at EVO and over 90,000 Twitch viewers, ZeRo will take home $11,556. The prize pool for Super Smash Brothers Wii U had no pot bonus, but the huge number of entrants has allowed ZeRo to take home the second largest 1st place prize of all time for Smash. The current record holder is Gnes for taking home $12,500 at MLG Dallas in 2010.

Zero and Mr. R Embrace after a hard fought finals

Check out the results for top 8 and stay tuned for full results in the coming days. You can watch the epic moment when Zero took the final game here! Possibly even more impressive than Zero's win streak was a record he set at EVO 2015 in not dropping a game the entire tournament.

EVO 2015 Smash Wii U Results - 1,926 Entrants
Prize Pool: $19,260
1. ZeRo (Sheik, Diddy Kong) - $11,556
2. LLL | Mr. R (Sheik) - $3,852
3. Nairo (Zero Suit Samus)- $1,926
4. Abadango (Pac-Man, Wario) - $770.40
5. Ally (Mario) - $385.20
5. Dabuz (Rosalina) - $385.20
7. FOW (Ness) - $192.60
7. ESAM (Pikachu) - $192.60
so does this mean zero is done with smash 4?

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
I didn't get to watch this tournament live, so now I want to watch it, but I can't find it. I feel like I must be missing something really obvious and that I'll be slapping myself in the face once I see it or am told. According to the schedule, it should be on Srkevo1 and srkevo4 on twitch, but I cannot find it there. Why I can I not find it? Could someone please help me out here?

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Really, Sm4sh shouldn't even have tournaments. ZeRo is literally unbeatable. He owns this game and has proven it with a fourty-something win record. Tournaments are pointless since the outcome is basically predetermined unless ZeRo isn't there.
Well, locals are a thing that people go to. Prize money is usually paid out to the top few places, so even if you get second in a major you're gonna win a lot of money.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Man, the tournament was pretty amazing; I can't grasp why people say that Sm4sh is boring to watch.
I've said this since Smash 4 came out, the game just needed time to develop and build its metagame. Smash 4 at Apex had its issues due to still being new, and players not being fully aware of all the things they could do.

But pretty much all the Smash 4 matches at Evo were awesome to watch. We saw insane amounts of variety in terms of characters played, and customs made things better.

This is what I said since before Smash 4 came out. People just needed to give Smash 4 a chance to develop. 64 and Melee's metagames were not built in a short period of time, so why did people expect Smash 4 to have insane gameplay even as early as Apex?

Smash 4 will only get better. What I'm happy to see is the sheer variety of characters who are being played. Smash 4 has a balanced roster, so I can only see good things going forward.

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
Not really surprised by this, ZeRo wins at everything. This is going to be a boring cycle for tournaments if ZeRo keeps winning in these tournaments like this.

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
I pretty much 100% agree with you here. Sky please shut up with the FIEND crap and repetitive fake hype...

I'm very very much a Melee player/watcher and I've only played Sm4sh a few times, but watching CEO 2015 I REALLY got into Sm4sh doubles and there are a few characters that were a lot of fun to watch in singles like lil Mac, Yoshi, Mario, Ness, Samus......the CEO commentators were on point as well.

But man this Evo I was watching the Finals for Sm4sh while I waited for Melee and it was just bad. Seriously the hand warmers for some of the Melee pools seemed more exciting :/ I'm shocked so many people are speaking so highly of the the finals, really? I've seen Sm4sh locals that were more hype. C'mon now....
I think that 3 stocks would make it more hype. But on the other hand, man.. the plays both zero and mr. r made were unseen in tourneys and great hype material. That 5-6 atk frame trap from mr. r and the end string for game... dang

Kerpy Derp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerpy Derp
3DS FC
3136-7596-2766
Why are you so excited that ZeRo is playing melee?? Finally some diversity in smash 4 yay but we all know he is going to use fox he did so a long time ago and practices him in PM there is literally no reason for him not to.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
I was rooting for FOW so I am glad he made the top 8.

I also want customs to be legal, so I'm in the corner of anyone who wants that.

All that said, grats to ZeRo for winning. You can't talk against results. And this guy is #1 in Smash Wii U for 2015.

Most Valuable Gaming

Smash Rookie
Congratulations to Zero for taking the top spot. Let's see how long you can keep up the winning streak!

Last edited:

XxMAGICxX

Smash Rookie
I was so sad when FOW lost to Dabuz, everyone in the room was so mad.

Last edited:

SupaKMW

Smash Cadet
Abadango is love, Abadango is life. Loved the tournament. Wanted ZeRo to lose to but hey I like underdogs winning. ZeRo earned his spot at the top, I will he watching his tutorials though for my main so I can take him out one day though lol. Also if he's serious about focusing on Maylay for a year I think one of the Maylay lords should focus on Smash 4 for a year. Only fair. If we lose our best player for a year we should gain another's best, just sayin lol. Feel free to agree or disagree but thats how I feel.

Top Bottom