• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo wins EVO 2015 over Mr. R

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
I'm not a smash 4 player, but I have to admit. I actually kind of enjoyed watching this (Especially Larry Lurr's fox).

Now I just want to see how well ZeRo will do in melee if he keeps to his word.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Man, the tournament was pretty amazing; I can't grasp why people say that Sm4sh is boring to watch.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
And here's zero nullifying the point of diddy nerfs in the first place,so that he couldn't win a major with him but it just doesn't matter. Zero is awesome.

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Well, I do believe it's time to officially crown ZeRo Smash 4's first God. Whoever he loses to first (if at all) will automatically be the second, no exceptions.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well alright guys, no complaining about Zero taking Evo, assuming you were going to do that in the first place. Diddy Kong took a heavy nerf to the point of hardly seeing live grand finals since its nerf, so after seeing a lot of skill with diddy kong nowadays, I'm very satisfied. And here I was thinking it was going to be another Shiek ditto. Congrats Zero! You earned it. :)

D

Deleted member

This isn't surprising, but all I can say is: congratulations.

Atm0s

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreenStarMario
3DS FC
1075-0882-2177
I'm pretty surprised how far Abadango got with Pac-Man and Wario. Good job man! I'll be rooting for you in the future. :4pacman:

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Evo's top 8 features 8 different characters? That's pretty hype.
Actually more, you have 1) Diddy 2) Shiek 3) Rosa 4) ZSS 5) Pikachu 6) Wario 7) Marth 8) Olimar and 9) Ness. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but technically Abadango never used his Pacman in top 8). GREAT DIVERSITY, this game has much room to evolve and get better.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670

Last edited:

Lavi_MarioStickMan12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lavi-MSM12
Looks like he wins again, but I'm surprised that Dabuz only got 5th place though.
did you even see the way Abadango bodied both his Rosa and Olimar, 2 stocking his Rosa, and freaking destroying his Olimar after being down a by a big deficit, i swear, like the last 20-30 seconds of the 2nd match between Abadango and Dabuz was hype as ****, definitely one of the most hypest EVO moments imo, Abadango getting his revenge from Apex in the most stylish way ever on the EVO main screen XD

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
I don't get the point of going through the effort of posting a youtube video so you can tell everyone that you don't care that ZeRo won. R u tryin 2 be edgy m8?

Who was it that survived the f-smash from ZSS tho? Everyone was sure it would be a confirmed kill and win Nairo the match, but it got DI'd impossibly perfectly. Absolute kreygasm.

Last edited:

Lavi_MarioStickMan12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lavi-MSM12
I remember it was Static Manny, but I did hope he can get a bit higher...
Sadly and frankly to say, I didn't really watch any of the Dabuz match because I was sleeping during most of the EVO tournament (Stupid time zones...), but I did heard that one of Dabuz match stream was cut for some what reason, I know it was just a joke, but did it really happened?
Urgh... just why do I feel Dabuz was sort of... despised?
he actually got boo'd off stream, i felt pretty bad for him but i cant blame the people who boo'd him of, i mean seriously, most people just didnt want to see Dabuz' lame Rosa

manrangan

Smash Cadet
NNID
manrangan
3DS FC
1289-8629-2870
Switch FC
SW-8204-8475-7607
I was rooting for someone to beat ZeRo at first (was hoping Abadango would be the man to do it), but when ZeRo went customless Diddy against yet another Shiek, I went nuts. The way he won the set was amazing too, probably one of my favorite moments in Sm4sh history. it just proves that ZeRo can dominate even with characters that are considered bad, and if he keeps his promise and moves on from Smash 4 to Melee, this would be just the way to end his amazing run, with a
HOO
HAH

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Zero has much better fundamentals and mastery of the neutral game so it is not surprising. Nairo came the closest but he kept missing his mark and SDing. Way too much SDing and missed techs in Top 32 hopefully that changes down the line the game is still very young. Players also need to learn more match ups and learn to counterpick stages better like seriously Abadango switched to Rosalina against a Shiek and then went to Battlefield that is two big mistakes. Their also was a lot more variety this tournament and a few upsets. The tournament was filled with hype and was run so much better than Apex 2015. Now that customs was shown to add a lot more to the game than it takes away we can bring the meta game forward and ignore the anti custom scrubs.
i agree about the customs, i mean they exist for a reason, still i'm not a tourney guy but i would like custom moves (not equipment) on for glory.

but maybe, that's just me

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Where can I find top 16/top 32? I wanted to watch this, but my local was scheduled for EVO day.

BadDeku

Smash Rookie
Zero has much better fundamentals and mastery of the neutral game so it is not surprising. Nairo came the closest but he kept missing his mark and SDing. Way too much SDing and missed techs in Top 32 hopefully that changes down the line the game is still very young. Players also need to learn more match ups and learn to counterpick stages better like seriously Abadango switched to Rosalina against a Shiek and then went to Battlefield that is two big mistakes. Their also was a lot more variety this tournament and a few upsets. The tournament was filled with hype and was run so much better than Apex 2015. Now that customs was shown to add a lot more to the game than it takes away we can bring the meta game forward and ignore the anti custom scrubs.
Wait there are still people in support of customs after this? Top 32 was pretty damn depressing. I was sort of neutral on the issue but after watching that I'm not sure. And judging by the response on twitter it sounds like there is an even louder opposing voice to customs--many of them top players. Top 8 worked out pretty awesome though. I hope if customs stay legal in major tournaments the meta doesn't devolve into hammer spin dash, trip sappling, and needle camping.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to Zero, Nairo and the rest of the top 8. I felt bad for my boy Nairo. The way he lost game 1 of WF really seemed to shake him. He is such a good kid, I really hope he can get over the hump soon.

Soul.

Can't say much because it was obvious to begin with, but congrats to him and the other players nonetheless. Smash 4 at EVO was a pretty good show. Not bad for the first in showing customs to the public in a good way (or at least, seems like one).

Bolt_Master_Ampharos

Smash Rookie
Really, Sm4sh shouldn't even have tournaments. ZeRo is literally unbeatable. He owns this game and has proven it with a fourty-something win record. Tournaments are pointless since the outcome is basically predetermined unless ZeRo isn't there.

D

Deleted member

I was so ****ing happy when I saw Abadongo trash on Dabuz.

Bolt_Master_Ampharos

Smash Rookie
But in all respects congrats to ZeRo. His name represents how many sets he will lose through his entire career.(Except for Mr. ConCon but he got 6-0'd by Sheik.)

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
did you even see the way Abadango bodied both his Rosa and Olimar, 2 stocking his Rosa, and freaking destroying his Olimar after being down a by a big deficit, i swear, like the last 20-30 seconds of the 2nd match between Abadango and Dabuz was hype as ****, definitely one of the most hypest EVO moments imo, Abadango getting his revenge from Apex in the most stylish way ever on the EVO main screen XD
Um.. after what you said, I feel fortunate that I didn't see the match at all. I would stop watching immediately if I had watched it anyway.
That will be the worst moment to me and most Rosalina and Olimar mains...
he actually got boo'd off stream, i felt pretty bad for him but i cant blame the people who boo'd him of, i mean seriously, most people just didnt want to see Dabuz' lame Rosa
Dabuz' lame Rosa? What do you mean?
I think what happened to Dabuz's stream is really too personal...

Last edited:

J-Flair

Smash Cadet
NNID
jurgen2000
an i the only one who thinks that moment when Mr R got his golden stick thingy. his face was like .''WHAT ARE THOOOOOOOSE

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Wait there are still people in support of customs after this? Top 32 was pretty damn depressing. I was sort of neutral on the issue but after watching that I'm not sure. And judging by the response on twitter it sounds like there is an even louder opposing voice to customs--many of them top players. Top 8 worked out pretty awesome though. I hope if customs stay legal in major tournaments the meta doesn't devolve into hammer spin dash, trip sappling, and needle camping.
There was only one instance of customs actively enabling someone with a defensive, campy play style to reach the Top 32 and he got knocked out early into his Semi Pools. People cite StaticManny's use of customs as a problem with them, but blaming customs on his choice to time out is misguided when he's been timing people out even in non-custom tournaments. That's just the way he plays.

Look at the other side here - customs enabled John Numbers to take Wii Fit Trainer into Semis rocking a non-gimmicky setup that actually balances the character. In fact, overestimating customs was what ended up having ESAM knocked out of Top 8 early on since he was continuously trying to land the HSB. I don't know whether it was to prove a point about them but he got taken out by a non-customs Pac-Man, and when Abadango switched to Wario he managed to make the best of it with a customs setup.

Also, how many people were proven wrong when not a single DK appeared in Top 32?

At best, customs has been cause for an interesting shift in dynamics and allowed for more variety than ever. At worst it's just made some non-accustomed people get knocked out a little early. When you have mostly the standard combination of top Smash players in the Top 8, some of them who use customs relatively sparingly, this whole hoopla about them has amounted to absolute jack.

Top Bottom