• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus guide 1.0

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Personally, I wouldn't risk using my Dair as an edge-guard, but all the more power to you for being able to pull it off successfully.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Thenightmaren one of my favorite things to do in Melee was to run off the side of the stage and nair Marth with Sheik if he tried to recover with his ^B so you could only imagine how happy I was when I found this out...By the way it works like a charm against Marth.

and thanks ^=^

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I know what you mean, I was a Sheik player myself in Melee.

On an unrelated note, I would like to be known as DeliciousCake, mainly because that's my tag in Brawl. I joined the boards really not intending to post anything but to get a little bit of knowledge, so I used my generic username. But now that I've gotten immersed in the Smash world I needed a new name, I just didn't bother making a new account because I didn't want to lose my post count.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Suddenly your signature makes a lot more since!

Well if that's what you wish to be call so be it, for now on I'll refer to you as such.

I joined so I could ask questions about advance tech back in the day and strategies but now I mainly post just to quicken the games meta game development with the information I've found.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
well i dont think i fully read it (in depth), although its really good - Maybe for/under strategy u can add in Zamus' almost pillar...UpB -> Dsmash vice versa, it works well sometimes but im not exactly sure if u can DI out of it since ur stunned almost the whole time between each attack.

Also, maybe u can add in a bit on matchups - at least from your experience with any tips or opinions u have. Or even add a bit on how your playstyle is, just to help all ZSS players learn.

Good guide btw. Keep it up

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Notes:

Give the names of the specials, too, if for nothing else than the sake of completeness.

Try to include the fact that until around 60%, Plasma Wire is untechable, so if your opponent falls in range, you can just spam UpB until then, then pop out with a grab afterwards.

Flip Jump will not wall jump if you are using the control stick when you hit the wall. It also has an automatic footstool property if you press jump at any point while Zamus is flashing blue.

As has already been mentioned, Zamus' grab gets people out of the air. This actually lends an enormous use to fair, as some characters can be chain grabbed fairly effectively.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I will be updating this tommorow. Probably in the late afternoon. I was going to do it today, but I was busy. Calculus 4 test. Sucks as bad as it sounds.

tonyrulz92

Smash Apprentice
NIce guide, really nice. This guide will really improve my skills.

I haven't read all the pages and so I don't know if this has already been said. I was told that this is a very good combo which i'm pretty sure is called "The Yo-Yo". YOu can start off with a dash attack and follow up with an up-tilt. Immediately after, you use up-b and if done right, it will pull the opponent back down which will allow for another attack, primarily another up tilt. It will force the opponent back up and repeat the up-b. I don't have the game so i haven't been able to test it alot but i was able to do it about 3-4 times. After awhile, the damage will be too high and the up-b will not reach. At this time, you can start juggling or doing anything else. Hope this will be a helpful tactic.

P.S. Its best used on very low-damaged opponents to get maximum use.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I'm not exactly sure how widely known this is but you can Flip Jump off of the ledge.
What I mean is, when you're hanging from the ledge, you can press Down-B and you'll jump off the legde onto the stage at a low angle. While in air, you can press A to perform the actual Kick.
It's a good Anti-Edguard. It'll probably be smart if your opponent is at a high percentage. You also end up facing their back so you can maybe land some sort of attack after you land, assuming you don't press A while jumping.
It might be a little risky. I've only tested it on Lvl. 9 Computers and it works sometimes.
It might be a little smarter if someone would test it on actual people.

I didn't see it in your main post so I figured I'd at least let you know, incase you haven't already.
Sorry if it's old :]

Eten

Smash Ace
I'd like it to be included that up-tilt is Zamus's move to reliably hit behind her. Some players find hitting behind them with ZSS to be a problem since her downsmash doesn't and only her fsmash might do so but takes too much time. However when she uses her up-tilt(and it's kinda easy to miss this) she goes on her hands and kicks her legs from either side of her upwards, which means it hits both a good distance in front of her and behind her quickly.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
After reading the original post about flip-jumping I tried to do it a few times, and I've learned about a huge flaw. If you the level you're playing on has an extended edge (ie. Pokemon Stadium 1) you'll end up flipping UNDER the stage, which puts you in a bad situation.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
After reading the original post about flip-jumping I tried to do it a few times, and I've learned about a huge flaw. If you the level you're playing on has an extended edge (ie. Pokemon Stadium 1) you'll end up flipping UNDER the stage, which puts you in a bad situation.
I wouldn't call it a huge flaw. More like a minor problem.
A good thing to do would be to check which stages that applies to.
I personally hate Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 so I wouldn't have tried that.
But it's a good find.
In those cases, you just wouldn't use it.
But it works perfectly fine on Final Destination and that Yoshi stage so I'm sure it'll work with most stages.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
7. Forward-smash - There actually is a sweetspot on it. If you pause the game (or just pay close attention) you'll notice the curve of the whip farthest away from ZSS. The sweetspot is on the outer edge of it, and generally has the highest knockback of any other part of the move. The reason it isn't noticed is because spacing it is nearly impossible and you'll normally end up hitting your opponent with a more inner part of the whip. On heavier characters, the F-smash can't kill until upwards of 160% if you don't land the sweetspot.
I was in training mode with ZSS and decided to test this before I left, and I couldn't find a real sweetspot the forward smash at all. I tried at every possible distance I could.

When hitting with the outermost part of the attack, it didn't even have knockback to hit Yoshi off the edge of FD (from the center) at 140%.

The inner parts of the actual whip itsenf had more damage and knockback, primarily hitting 10%-11% and still not moving Yoshi all that much after I reset him to 0%. However, there was one part of the outside of the whip that had about the same knockback as the inside of it. It certainly wasn't more, at least from my testing, and the damage from the hit was only 6%. Not sure if that is the sweetspot you mean. I wouldn't really call it one at least.

If I just missed it somehow feel free to explain again.

Edit: Also, is there a reliable way to use the "slow d-air"? I know after you get knocked upwards by an opponent you can d-air and not quickly fall toward the ground. I figure if there is a way to do that manually it could make her d-air a lot more useful.

TASAH

Smash Rookie
*Bookmarks*

Great guide. Coming from someone who's relatively new to SSB games, this was by far the most comprehensive and descriptive guide on Zamus I've found. It's very well organized and knowing her pro's and con's when some aren't always obvious is nice.

I'll be looking out for vids.

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet
has anyone looked into pillaring in the air?

its possible to up air -> up-B -> up air but I'm not sure how many times you can do it before they start moving too fast to catch...I've only done it against an opponent once but the second up air killed them off the top before I could go into another up-B

anyway, no complaints on the guide...definitely looking forward to more info

Eten

Smash Ace
Against human opponents I think uair-> up-B -> up air is as good as it gets.

StarScarJenova

Smash Rookie
Edit: I just saw you added the f-tilt variation. Haha...

Oh and you can put that post I made explaining the Transformation Taunt.

SSJ

FoolyCoolyGamer

Smash Cadet
You have a really great guide, it's been super helpful! I just have a tiny question though, as to how to play her in 4 player matches. She does very, very well in 1 on 1, but I'm having a bit of trouble in 4 player matches. I can still win, but it takes a little bit longer.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...It seems no one is talking about this so I'll just bring it up just in case I'm the only one who notices this already.

Zamus can change directions with her down smash

To do this you have to smash the control stick away and down from the current direction you are facing. If done correctly you should immediately turn around and do a down smash.
The timing is just like any normal smash attack but the odd angle can make it difficult to do in the heat of battle as hitting the stick even just a little out of place will cause you to do a forward smash which will most likely cause you to get punished.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I've found some interesting properties about her f-air that are pretty obvious, but no one has brought them up (that I've seen). It makes it a much more reliable attack for both dealing damage and KOing.

I still need to work out the exact percentages, but at higher percentages if you are closer to the character you will get both kicks off easily. Hitting with her thigh seems to be the most accurate way to describe it. From there, you just have to make sure they aren't too far below you or the knockback will send them at a slight downward angle and your second kick won't hit.

At lower percentages, you want to be a bit above you. The knockback from the first kick will do nearly nothing, and the hitbox is slightly taller than it looks. It takes some getting used-to to hit both kicks reliably at lower percentages, or at least it did for me.

I feel this is important because the f-air KOs at lower percentages than the b-air if both kicks hit. While the difference isn't huge (126% vs 133%), we can agree than her b-air is one of her more reliable KO moves so that says a lot about the f-air as well once you can hit it reliably too.

That just leaves her d-air as her only aerial that can't KO easily. It can spike a person on a ledge, but good luck ever getting one in.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't know how old this is, but it seems like something ZSS could use to her advantage more so than most other characters.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159492

Side-b for when you are sent flying horizontally, and up-b when you are sent downward. I haven't seen any evidence it would work with special attack based recoveries aside from one post claiming it, but considering it's value it's definitely worth looking into and could become a very useful technique for staying alive longer.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Okay guys, no doubt you have noticed how overdue the update is. I am sad to say that I am no longer maining Zamus, she is now my secondary after DeDeDe. I am still playing her however, and will still be checking here periodically, but not as much as I used to. I hate to leave my guide unfinished though, so I will be making one final update before I go. Probably sometime at either the end of this week, or beginning of next. Anything you want me to include, please let me know before then.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how old this is, but it seems like something ZSS could use to her advantage more so than most other characters.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159492

Side-b for when you are sent flying horizontally, and up-b when you are sent downward. I haven't seen any evidence it would work with special attack based recoveries aside from one post claiming it, but considering it's value it's definitely worth looking into and could become a very useful technique for staying alive longer.
Yea it works with toon link and requires alot of timing. Basically you recover b4 you actually leave horizontally. Useful? Definitely. Basically recover from stun and do side B while you flying and hang on ledge.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, no doubt you have noticed how overdue the update is. I am sad to say that I am no longer maining Zamus, she is now my secondary after DeDeDe. I am still playing her however, and will still be checking here periodically, but not as much as I used to. I hate to leave my guide unfinished though, so I will be making one final update before I go. Probably sometime at either the end of this week, or beginning of next. Anything you want me to include, please let me know before then.
Hmm too bad but alot of people switching people. Like I can't decide my secondary main and flipping on the moments notice. This girl is my type of style of play so I am sticking with her. DDD is pretty good too. Hope the best of luck to you.

Just Learning

Smash Rookie
Can somone please give more detailed directions about how to control the way Zamus jumps on the down-B third jump? It seems random to me so I know I am not doing something right.

I am using the Wii Remote/Numchuck setup. Thanks!

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
not sure if this has been said but 9/10 times the down b kick for "protection" is really for sheild grabbing ... much better to mix the kick in with the unique toadstool you can get from it when ppl try to sheild grab you out of your down b recovery

Subzan

Smash Rookie
Can somone please give more detailed directions about how to control the way Zamus jumps on the down-B third jump? It seems random to me so I know I am not doing something right.

It's like an 1/8 circle with the control stick. You have to tilt down and then tilt slightly in the direction you want to go while pressing b. Tilting too far will result in a side b, so just experiment with how far you can tilt it before it turns to a side b. Normally, she just jumps in the direction she's faceing.

Garde

Smash Ace

You press down+B, then quickly slide the control stick (on the nunchuck for you), to the direction you want. It works for me 100% of the time. Also, if you hold a direction when pressing any attack/grab button during the down+B, you can direct which way you face for the kick, as well. The default kick direction is in the opposite direction of the way you jumped (so if you jump left, you kick right if you're spamming down+B repeatedly).

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
Zamus' Jab Combo.

I've read that Zamus' jab combo is worthless (either in this thread or something linked from this thread), but I think I might have found a use for it. I haven't tested this, but last night, I managed to get the full jab combo on my opponent (granted, it was a computer). From the jab combo, I sweet-spotted a side-B, which resulted in a KO. Now, it obviously needs testing, but I think that her third attack in the jab combo has a knockback that's very friendly with the side-B.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've read that Zamus' jab combo is worthless (either in this thread or something linked from this thread), but I think I might have found a use for it. I haven't tested this, but last night, I managed to get the full jab combo on my opponent (granted, it was a computer). From the jab combo, I sweet-spotted a side-B, which resulted in a KO. Now, it obviously needs testing, but I think that her third attack in the jab combo has a knockback that's very friendly with the side-B.
Even if that's true it wouldn't really matter as the reason why Zamus punch combo sucks is because you can't get in the third hit.

Edit: on another note I notice your from VA, which means we should defiantly have some friendlies dittos as I kind of have no Zamus practice to speak of.

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
Even if that's true it wouldn't really matter as the reason why Zamus punch combo sucks is because you can't get in the third hit.
What if they're DSmashed first? Her jab doesn't knock them "out" of that stun at high %, right? If nothing else, even really good people are still people; perhaps if you use it sparingly, you can catch them unawares with it? Since you can come out of a dashA with it too, perhaps some mindgames could help set that up?

Edit: on another note I notice your from VA, which means we should defiantly have some friendlies dittos as I kind of have no Zamus practice to speak of.
Hey, you're from Charlottesville. I'm like, half an hour's drive from you. 81 south to 64 east. I'd definitely be up for getting my butt kicked, lawl.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
What if they're DSmashed first? Her jab doesn't knock them "out" of that stun at high %, right? If nothing else, even really good people are still people; perhaps if you use it sparingly, you can catch them unawares with it? Since you can come out of a dashA with it too, perhaps some mindgames could help set that up?

Hey, you're from Charlottesville. I'm like, half an hour's drive from you. 81 south to 64 east. I'd definitely be up for getting my butt kicked, lawl.
Actually the A-A-A combo can hit people out of the Dsmash but if you stop it right before the final hit it wont.

Any whom I was really thinking about some online matches but hey live matches are even better. Unfortunately I do have some clearly visible skill with my characters and do know a lot about smash in general but I'm not that skilled (I got three stock online by a Snake today T_T)

So don’t expect me to three stock you consistently ;)

CPhame

Smash Rookie
Yeah, thats true. Why is it that they didn't make her neutral A a natural combo? It seems unfair that just about every other character has a NC of some sort. I can't find any usefulness to this move other than spamming it after a blocked dash attack, or using it to set up a throw / down tilt. Are there any real applications to this move?

If people block her neutral A, they can punish by simply block-grabbing just about anything else after it. Is it possible to use a move that can interrupt after a failed neutral A, or at the very least, pushes you away enough that you're safe from retaliation?

Top Bottom