• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Alt Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shog

Smash Ace
Is here anybody nostalgic because of the GBA games?

Only things I read are from people which adore her look or unneeded talk about feminism about a character which showed skin more than over 30 years ago. Get a grip, folks. Do any of you ever go to beaches? Women showing are also showing there skin there. Who cares?

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425

Only things I read are from people which adore her look or unneeded talk about feminism about a character which showed skin more than over 30 years ago. Get a grip, folks. Do any of you ever go to beaches? Women showing are also showing there skin there. Who cares?
I thought this discussion was over.

And yes, I feel nostalgic, Metroid Fusion was such a good game. Still waiting for a true Metroidvania sequel.

Luminario

Smash Lord

We thought the era of sexualising Samus would be over by now. It's not like people didn't complain in the past you can just see the complaining now and Smash Bros has a bigger audience. Also people at the beach choose to wear bikinis, Samus is a character with no autonomy.
I'm in small font so I don't start at argument again. Just read me and then forget I ever existed.

So how weird do you guys think it would be if ZSS got short hair + military outfit like in the Other M flashbacks?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't see it likely to be honest at least in regards to her hair. It seems like they're heavily avoiding things they would change the way the head of the character works. It's why we ended up with that Link SS palette that looked like his civilian clothes but still has his hat.

Could I see the uniform without changing her hair or the like, its seems more possible.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I thought this discussion was over.

And yes, I feel nostalgic, Metroid Fusion was such a good game. Still waiting for a true Metroidvania sequel.
Yea me too. Would love the actual sequel to Metroid Fusion, with the Fusion. Not midquels like we are getting.

As a side note, Samus's Fusion suit is more feminine than her regular power suit. Why are they not continuing the series from there? Forget the wreck that Other M was and continue to make a Metroid 5, this time with the Fusion suit and probably more abilities!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I agree with Sonic, their playing styles are not even close to being simular XD

Hey, as far as I can tell, it's really good. I couldn't do that in a million years XD

Does anyone else feel like ZSS will be a frickin awesome in Sm4sh?
Try not to double post. There is an edit button below the post, use it. This site is particularly harsh on double posting.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
So how weird do you guys think it would be if ZSS got short hair + military outfit like in the Other M flashbacks?
I like the idea of it in general. Since they're already doing the Other M angle with the power suit I'm kinda hoping for this.

I mean, if you're going to give us the worst game in the series, you could at least focus on the good parts.

Last edited:

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman

Haha, I agree, I like the reference to Zero Mission

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can guarantee you these women can't twist their bodies like that in order to bring attention to the breasts and buttocks. This has nothing to do with her character portrayal it's fine she's a badass bounty hunter and Other M gave her a bit more emotional depth. The problem is the fact that she's being twisted and warped to give her secondary sex characteristics as much screen time as possible. I told myself I wouldn't argue about this anymore so just read the link i added before.
Maybe Samus is a contortionist in her spare time... it would explain her rubbery spine and dislocated joints.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Maybe Samus is a contortionist in her spare time... it would explain her rubbery spine and dislocated joints.
Oi, there's enough gasoline spread around already, stop flicking matches. :glare:

Samus can bend like that precisely because she ISN'T FULLY HUMAN. Gene-splice with space tengu to live on Zebes had side-effects.

kuk

Smash Cadet
It's so cringeworthy how Sakurai added "female" about the designer of Samus's alt costume. Samus has gone from a respected character to a sex object. But hey, as long as it sells... ._.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
It's so cringeworthy how Sakurai added "female" about the designer of Samus's alt costume. Samus has gone from a respected character to a sex object. But hey, as long as it sells... ._.
Cringeworthy? He did that because people always bash men for specializing women. He was saying 'hey guys, her designer is female. Just to clear things up'. I don't see how that's cringeworthy.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Cringeworthy? He did that because people always bash men for specializing women. He was saying 'hey guys, her designer is female. Just to clear things up'. I don't see how that's cringeworthy.
It's an obvious tactic to avoid feminist backlash. The fact that it's transparent is why people are rolling their eyes at it. That said, considering the controversy already surrounding the heels, Sakurai would have to be an idiot to not try to avoid that kind of backlash.

Speaking of backlash, weren't we going to do that thing were we don't have that discussion in this thread anymore?

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
Normally, the gender of the designer would've been left out. But now, as Sakurai KNOWS he sexualizes Samus even more, he added "female" as a pro-active way of handling critisism for sexualization.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Off topic/Spam Warning Received
Normally, the gender of the designer would've been left out. But now, as Sakurai KNOWS he sexualizes Samus even more, he added "female" as a pro-active way of handling critisism for sexualization.
Since sakurai knows he sexualities Samus? Um, samus is sexualized in her own games, sakurai didn't make her. What is he supposed to do? Change her design so that she looks nothing like her metroid self? No, cause that would make all the metroid fans mad. He made her LESS sexualized than Other M. Other M had heels that were only there for looks. At least sakurai took her latest design, and made the heels useful. You're blaming sakurai for her sexualization, when the truth is, she's ALWAYS been sexualized, way before she was a smash bros character.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Since sakurai knows he sexualities Samus? Um, samus is sexualized in her own games, sakurai didn't make her. What is he supposed to do? Change her design so that she looks nothing like her metroid self? No, cause that would make all the metroid fans mad. He made her LESS sexualized than Other M. Other M had heels that were only there for looks. At least sakurai took her latest design, and made the heels useful. Your blaming sakurai for her sexualization, when the truth is, she's ALWAYS been sexualized, way before she was a smash bros character.
This.

Sakamoto is the one who made Samus a sex symbol. You're not even blaming the right person.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Since sakurai knows he sexualities Samus? Um, samus is sexualized in her own games, sakurai didn't make her. What is he supposed to do? Change her design so that she looks nothing like her metroid self? No, cause that would make all the metroid fans mad. He made her LESS sexualized than Other M. Other M had heels that were only there for looks. At least sakurai took her latest design, and made the heels useful. You're blaming sakurai for her sexualization, when the truth is, she's ALWAYS been sexualized, way before she was a smash bros character.
By making Zero Suit Samus into a playable character - that in itself is a pretty heavy sexualization. Not to mention she got a whip from nowhere and suggestive comments and poses. This is a minor detail that has probably slipped you by, but have you seen her animation in Brawl for her AAA attack combo? Did they really have to make her twist and bend like that? Zero Suit Samus in Smash games is pure fan service fodder.

The heels are one of the few things I didn't like with Other M. I agree they're only there to up her sex appeal. However, Sakurai could easily have neglected them. But no, he still included them. Sure, they're boost heels now, but as I said before, that is probably a direct result of negative feedback from the heels in Other M.

She's always been sexualized TO A CERTAIN DEGREE, but not this much.

This.

Sakamoto is the one who made Samus a sex symbol. You're not even blaming the right person.
Did Sakamoto direct Fusion and Zero Mission? If yes, then yes he turned Samus sexier. But still not comparable to what Sakurai has done to her in the Smash games.

Even more hilarious, Sakamoto did that after his notes for Zero Mission explicitly said not to. :p
Sakamoto is only part to blame for Samus's sexualization, but Sakurai is the biggest culprit.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Because stripping Samus down has been part of the series since the beginning. Nothing's changed, except the modern gamer.
So you don't see the difference between:

A) Stripping down Samus during end credits with tiny, lo resolution sprites

B) Showing off stripped down Samus during main gameplay with hi resolution polygon model

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Exactly, because for Samus it's nothing new. The only thing that's changed is that now we have people crawling out of the woodwork to complain about it.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Exactly, because for Samus it's nothing new. The only thing that's changed is that now we have people crawling out of the woodwork to complain about it.
OK, if you pretent like not reading what I just wrote, then you don't deserve a proper discussion. Good day.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
People have always complained about this. The difference is that more people are more aware about the implications behind these tropes.

By the way, wasn't this discussion over?

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
By the way, wasn't this discussion over?
If it wasn't before, it certainly is now. Incidentally: It's more inherently sexist to make the claim that Samus "can't" be shown in certain clothing because she's (gasp!) a female character, than it is to actually do it.

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
If it wasn't before, it certainly is now. Incidentally: It's more inherently sexist to make the claim that Samus "can't" be shown in certain clothing because she's (gasp!) a female character, than it is to actually do it.
I agree, it's not wrong for a video game character to be dressed in certain ways, but I think it's wrong for a developer to "fix" their characters by making them more sexualized and claim that their design is somehow better. Measuring worth in sexual characteristics and reducing a person (or a character, in this case) to a thing that brings sexual gratification: To sexually objectify. This has consequences in the forms of narrowing instead of diversifying females in the gaming medium and taking away the subjectification, the bond people felt to the character.

Now, this discussion is really over! I'm looking forward to a heel-less ZSS as a costume.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Now, this discussion is really over!
Were it that simple (just saying it's over meaning it's over), things would be awesome.

Handing out infractions as needed. If this topic devolves into sexualization/feminism discussion anymore, it's going to be locked, and the ones doing it reprimanded.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Man, still seeing this Samus again is quite nostalgic now, even with the added heels. Long live sportswear suit Samus?

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Long live the queen! Also: Nice SMC sig.

Yeah it's pretty nostalgic. Back then there wasn't really a clear, consistent idea of what Samus even looked like under the power suit. There was the Nintendo Power comic version, the green haired Justin Bailey version, the Super Metroid ending version, the Metroid 2 version... They had major differences including hair color, jawline, general body build, etc. They really had no idea what to do with her suitless form other than "It's a girl!"

Zero Suit Samus was the first image of Samus to really be consistent in between games. Heck, even Fusion ending Samus looks different from ZSS.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Long live the queen! Also: Nice SMC sig.

Yeah it's pretty nostalgic. Back then there wasn't really a clear, consistent idea of what Samus even looked like under the power suit. There was the Nintendo Power comic version, the green haired Justin Bailey version, the Super Metroid ending version, the Metroid 2 version... They had major differences including hair color, jawline, general body build, etc. They really had no idea what to do with her suitless form other than "It's a girl!"

Zero Suit Samus was the first image of Samus to really be consistent in between games. Heck, even Fusion ending Samus looks different from ZSS.
I'd still prefer the Super Metroid under-suit as an alt skin.

gamer8

Smash Lord
THREE shades of Blue for ZSS alts T_T Not as bad as Sonic though but I'm kind of disappointed they put in "very light blue" as an alt color.

Edit: Nevermind apparently it's gray! Sweet, I always wanted a gray ZSS alt!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom