• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Punctuation

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation

Zero Punctuation is a relatively new series of videos where each week a misanthropic british prick reviews a new video game by talking as fast as he can and making little stick figure animations. Each video is hilarious, with valid (if exagerrated for comedic effect) criticisms for each game. Plus he wins points just for describing his XBox 360 as "Schrödinger's Console."

Check 'em out as long as you're not afraid of him constantly cursing. MOH: Airborne review is the best one I think.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I've become addicted to these reviews in recent weeks. I don't take them seriously at all, but they are hysterical.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
They're very funny. I love this guy. You can search around and find his old stuff which was written, but equally hysterical. His Animal Crossing review had me gasping on the floor.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
I think the guy knows exactly what he's talking about. He, however, is coming from the perspective that console games are horrible and that the entire gaming community should be based around the PC, which is a valid opinion. However, he pretty much nails everything on the head when it comes to his reviews.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I've been watching his reviews as well. Good stuff. The Angry Video Game Nerd started to get boring a while ago. Yahtzee is funnier. Doesn't he live in Australia? He won't be reviewing Brawl for a long time...

You guys should check his games too, particulary the Trilby series. They are old-fashioned point & click adventure games with nice amount of horror in them. The games are free, created with Adventure Game Studio. I liked them very much.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Oh I watch that guy ALL THE TIME! I just saw his Phantom Hourglass review, and it made me realize how right he is about the series.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
After watching the Zelda review, I would have to say that it is not one of the funnier ones, but he is absolutely dead on with his complaints with the game. While I still enjoy the series and even that specific game (I've been playing it the past week), I found my criticisms mirroring his exactly.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I've watched them all a while ago. I try to keep up with them.

They're pretty much extremely funny.

Not really laugh-out-loud funny, but they keep you chuckling inside for 4 minutes straight each.

Wait, did someone say he created the Trilby series? As in 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes, and 6 Days a Sacrifice? Those games were awesome!

Man, that guy is great!

Jammer

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting that link, Brawlmatt. I totally forgot about Zero Punctuation.

It was about Clive Barker's Jericho, a game which I pretty much have only the faintest idea about, so I didn't have that great of a time watching it.

But he did talk about tying emo kids to a chair, forcing them to watch a Rambo marathon, and repeatedly hitting them over the head with a bat made of frozen stupid.

That was enough to make it all better.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Thanks for posting that link, Brawlmatt. I totally forgot about Zero Punctuation.

It was about Clive Barker's Jericho, a game which I pretty much have only the faintest idea about, so I didn't have that great of a time watching it.

But he did talk about tying emo kids to a chair, forcing them to watch a Rambo marathon, and repeatedly hitting them over the head with a bat made of frozen stupid.

That was enough to make it all better.
No prob! ;)

I usually have no clue about most of the games he talks about until he reviews them; it doesn't bother me too much, because I love how he complains about them!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can't get his latest video for some reason.

The escapist site looks kind of weird all of a sudden; it's in a strange format, and I can't get the videos to play.

Suggestions?

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I've been watching his reviews as well. Good stuff. The Angry Video Game Nerd started to get boring a while ago. Yahtzee is funnier. Doesn't he live in Australia? He won't be reviewing Brawl for a long time...
He already reviewed Brawl. All that he said about was so true lol

DCLXVI

Smash Apprentice
He already reviewed Brawl. All that he said about was so true lol
Hmm, maybe. But I think he would have said the exact same thing about melee. He doesn't play any fighting games and can not determine if a game really is a button masher (I'm not saying that brawl is or isn't.) He also just ranted about nintendo fanboys for a while, I'm not sure if that is relevent

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Hmm, maybe. But I think he would have said the exact same thing about melee. He doesn't play any fighting games and can not determine if a game really is a button masher (I'm not saying that brawl is or isn't.) He also just ranted about nintendo fanboys for a while, I'm not sure if that is relevent
In his Soul Calibur review he did mention that hitting the throw button repeatedly works on every level of computer AI, which would be a problem for any reviewer.

You may want to consider that Yahtzee likes to find the flaws in games and manipulate those flaws for the easiest victories possible, then complain those flaws being in the game because they make the game too easy. Most other reviewers and people don't do that.

For example, in his Fallout 3 review he noted that he could steal everything while the AI stared at walls and do a few good missions to maximize his Karma levels to explain the inherent flaws in the Karma system. Most people would appreciate the fact that they can steal everything and still be on good terms with the citizens of a town, or would simply not steal everything in the first place, but the mix of stealing everything and doing good Karma missions only isn't all that common. Or maybe it is. Hard to say without any polls or anything.

DCLXVI

Smash Apprentice
Some of his points are legitimate, but I don't think he can classify brawl as a button masher in multiplayer (don't care about 1plyr) from one drunken night with equally clueless friends, half of the stages and characters, and virtually no prior experience with fighting games to compare to. And he could try getting the data from other people's memory cards if he hates the single player so much...

Top Bottom