• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero landing lag from aerials?

Myztek

Smash Ace
After browsing google/the stickied threads, I haven't run across it. So..

Has anyone made an AR code or something of the sort so that there is no landing lag from aerials? Whether it be L-cancelling cuts 100% of lag, or an auto cancel code?

I'd like to try it out if there is one.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Hell yes it would! After playing Smash 64 for hours on end, I was talking to a friend of mine about the idea of L-cancelling in Melee being like Z-cancelling in 64. No lag aerials! It would be so beast!

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
You can edit the Pl**.dat files to set every aerial to 1 or 2 frame lag or something. If you set it to 1, I'd assume the game would just round up the L-Cancel lag to 1 as well.

This spreadsheet is your best friend. It lists the location of a bunch of character attributes, including landing lag for various things.

Back aerial lag is listed at 00F0 on the list. That's really just an offset within the 'attribute region' of the Pl** file.

Attribute Starting Point Offsets
-----------|--------|
Character .| Offset |
-----------|--------|
Bowser ....| 0x3644 |
Capt Falcon| 0x3774 |
Donkey Kong| 0x39B0 |
Dr Mario ..| 0x3540 |
Falco .....| 0x37E4 |
Fox .......| 0x3714 |
G & W .....| 0x3614 |
Ganondorf .| 0x371C |
ICs(Nana) .| 0x1188 |
ICs(Popo) .| 0x32A4 |
Jigglypuff | 0x38BC |
Kirby .....| 0x4CE8 |
Link ......| 0x33FC |
Luigi .....| 0x33A0 |
Mario .....| 0x32D8 |
Marth .....| 0x3744 |
Mewtwo ....| 0x3750 |
Ness ......| 0x34E0 |
Peach .....| 0x3894 |
Pichu .....| 0x3454 |
Pikachu ...| 0x3584 |
Roy .......| 0x389C |
Samus .....| 0x3484 |
Sheik .....| 0x3418 |
Yoshi .....| 0x335C |
Young Link | 0x35A0 |
Zelda .....| 0x37F4 |
C Hand ....| 0x08B8 |
G Bowser ..| 0x34D0 |
M Hand ....| 0x0934 |
Sandbag ...| 0x1464 |
Wireframe-F| 0x2FF4 |
Wireframe-M| 0x31C8 |
---------------------

The vast majority of these attributes are 32 bit floats. You can find an online converter page HERE). For example, 3F800000 is 1. That page is for converting float->decimal, but there's also a link at the bottom for the page to convert decimal->float.

So, if you wanted to get to Bowser's bair, you'd have to add F0 to 3644 in hex. Using a hex calculator, I can see that the bair lag starts at offset 3734. All landing lag attributes are 8 'characters' long in the dat file, or 4 bytes.

Plug in the desired value here and hit either rounded or not rounded (doesn't matter). Copy the value in the "Hexadecimal" window under the single precision section. That is your new value. Replace the original value in the Pl**.dat file with that one.

For instance, if I wanted Bowser's bair to have 2 frames of lag, I would put 2 into the calculator, and end up replacing the original "3CF5C28F" in his file with the new 40000000. Inject the new dat using GC-Tool or whatever, and the burn/play/whatever. For every aerial to have 1 frame of lag, you would need to repeat this process for every aerial of every character.

BTW, I'd like to note that it can be quite difficult to not shield after L-Cancelling when there's only 1 frame of lag. It's hard to release the GC's L and R triggers that quickly.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Phoenix, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
And yeah, shielding after landing was a slight concern of mine. however, I never fully depress the shoulder buttons when I play.

but there's only one way to find out! thanks!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
If someone actually gets round to this, can you upload the files please?

or even if you get one or two characters done (fast bowser/ganon/link omg)?

Myztek

Smash Ace
If someone actually gets round to this, can you upload the files please?

or even if you get one or two characters done (fast bowser/ganon/link omg)?
Unless someone gets to it before me, then I'll post anything I complete with it. It may be next week some time before I actually get around to it, maybe sooner.

Either way, if I figure it out, I'll share whatever I need to.

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
Won't that auto L-Cancel for you?
yes, it seems thats what it will do, since they aren't altering the L canceling itself, only the Attibutes will be changed meaning, Auto L cancel, so, easy mode to play, like they did with brawl+

Top Bottom