• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZENITH 2014 - Aug 2-3 - Brooklyn, NY

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Boom. And Wizzy. Wizzy beat jaime who the **** beats jaime jaime was 3rd in the known world for like 8 years or some **** LD has 0 chance

has he been practicing or did he become a lil scrub who plays PM all day?

People who will not beat LD: me

People who might beat LD: Kero and some other people

Ima get top 8 though. I'm supposed to be commentating top 8 so I'll have to do my own match(es). should be good
If Wizzrobe doesn't get top 5 in 64, I will literally say how the **** on stream if I can or do something else wut.

Sedda

Smash Champion
SK's only limit is himself. If he were 1/5 as confident/cocky as LD, keyboards would literally spawn from his hands.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'm skeptical wizzy will repeat the same type of performance as apex. He's a great player, but you gotta admit a lot of things went his way at apex. Playing kefit who has no idea how to fight yoshi, the star king fiasco playing at 9 am, and drawing jaime in top 8 of all players, whose weakness is known to be yoshi (sheermadness was like the only A tier player to take tourney sets off him in online stuff). Not to mention Jaime went fox for some unknown reason vs wizzy for the 1st 2 games. He also had extremely close matches vs both firo and star king on the way to top 8. 1 or 2 more exchanges go differently in either of those matches, and suddenly no one is predicting him for top 8 at zenith. He did very well at apex, but it was not even a close to a dominating performance that would suggest a definite repeat at zenith. Wizzy can easily lose sets to about 15 people at this tournament, and I expect lots of his sets will be very close.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Jaime's fox is supposed to be perhaps his best character, and it's also the character that LD plays. Yeah his falcon did decent but Jaime's falcon was super duper next level and I just doubt there's a non-boom falcon at Zenith that could beat an even better Wizzy than the one that took it down.

9 AM johns are the most suspect johns I've heard in a long time. Man up that set was fair and square

Kefit would be the obvious favorite for 2nd at this if we were thinking old school status quo and he got ROCKED, OK maybe his grip on the yoshi MU isn't the best but lots of zenith people still are sketchy on it as well.

This all depends on whether wizzy has been playing 64 or doing dumb other things though

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
9 AM johns are the most suspect johns I've heard in a long time.
would you rather play at 9am on next to no sleep, or at night after a long day of smashing and have been warmed up for hours?

nobody likes to play in the morning.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
But falcon is jaime's best vs yoshi, which is all that matters. Not to mention despite it being "super next level", his falcon struggles against yoshi's much more than it should. You don't have to have a Jaime level falcon to beat wizzy.

Playing earlier in the morning is fair and square in that both players were playing in the early morning. However, playing in the early morning means that likely both players were not at their best. Different players are affected differently by early morning. Maybe if they played at their best wizzy would have destroyed star king, or maybe it would have gone the other way around. Even not admitting that early morning games **** everyone over, and ****s them over differently (no real reason not to admit that but if you insist on standing firm), the set was close enough to show that wizzy could easily lose to star king at zenith. I would put money on sk if they play again at zenith.

If I play wizzy in tourney I will beat him. 2-1 in a bo3, 3-1 in a bo5. SHOTS FIRED.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
A patient Falcon beats Wizzy's Yoshi. I was beating him quite a few times with my HORI Falcon at Apex, but once I started being aggro, I started getting ****ed by his defensive Yoshi.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Just drink enough beer that your body's natural alarm clock gets you up at 6 that way you'll have a few hours to purge, drink a pot of coffee, little hair o the ol dog and then you're right as rain.

I'm going to be rooting for everyone to have a good time and may the best man or woman win. Anybody got a problem with that you know where to find me.

firo

Smash Ace
I haven't had too much time to practice in the last couple weeks but I'm definitely going to be going all in this weekend. I'm setting some high goals. That being said this tournament is definitely stacked with really good players.

I'm housing the Chicago folks who should be coming in Friday night, so I'll have some setups. If you're looking for some smash late (around 10PM) Friday there will definitely be games going down. If I'm not exhausted after Saturday we might do stuff then too. If you PM me your number I'll send details if stuff is happening; I'll try and post here too.

I won't have room for any more housing so if people do wanna come please expect to be kicked out at the end of the night.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Are you for real there are legit 420 people signed up on that spread sheet? You can't try to convince me that's a coincidence. This is gonna be one epic weekend

Studstill

Smash Ace
Bracket Contest Round 1:
Open this link, go up to file and hit make a copy, then just fill in your picks.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ccIwikFAyGLRXF84_bbuooWeADA-foT95J4s1NULtp0/edit?usp=sharing

Round 2:
Once the system for seeding people coming out of pools is established, which unfortunately might not be confirmed until pools are over. Is there a verification on the post pool bracket system? When that happens, I`ll convert your picks over to a bracket to be filled out. Maybe a prize for getting close, big prize for nailing it, if someone can.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
alright so if knitephox has that COMMENTARY then we'll get the top3 people on stream/recorded? NO HOLDS BARRED COMMENTARY

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Is Shears the same guy as Shear Madness? I don't have high hopes for beating him or ****ing Stranded or Killer but these other dudes I've never heard of are totally going down.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Why aren't any of you wussies talking trash except clubba?

You're all going to get wrecked by LD.

His ego is going consume our entire community after he pwns all of you.

Who's man enough to stop him?
Here is some trash talk: If you are alting without informing the staff, I will DQ you

If i find out that people knew you were alting and lied to me when i asked them, i'll wont DQ you and put you all in the same pool as boom

also,
Killer says he beats LD the majority of the time

I'm skeptical wizzy will repeat the same type of performance as apex. He's a great player, but you gotta admit a lot of things went his way at apex. Playing kefit who has no idea how to fight yoshi, the star king fiasco playing at 9 am, and drawing jaime in top 8 of all players, whose weakness is known to be yoshi (sheermadness was like the only A tier player to take tourney sets off him in online stuff). Not to mention Jaime went fox for some unknown reason vs wizzy for the 1st 2 games. He also had extremely close matches vs both firo and star king on the way to top 8. 1 or 2 more exchanges go differently in either of those matches, and suddenly no one is predicting him for top 8 at zenith. He did very well at apex, but it was not even a close to a dominating performance that would suggest a definite repeat at zenith. Wizzy can easily lose sets to about 15 people at this tournament, and I expect lots of his sets will be very close.
Last week wizzy was beating up mariguas in P2P

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Bracket Contest Round 1:
Open this link, go up to file and hit make a copy, then just fill in your picks.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ccIwikFAyGLRXF84_bbuooWeADA-foT95J4s1NULtp0/edit?usp=sharing

Round 2:
Once the system for seeding people coming out of pools is established, which unfortunately might not be confirmed until pools are over. Is there a verification on the post pool bracket system? When that happens, I`ll convert your picks over to a bracket to be filled out. Maybe a prize for getting close, big prize for nailing it, if someone can.
People should know this is different than what I am keeping track of

would you rather play at 9am on next to no sleep, or at night after a long day of smashing and have been warmed up for hours?

nobody likes to play in the morning.
wizzy could have been staying up all night training with sheermadness. SK could not play on KB after the first day until that match at 9am started

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Teams sounded fun until I saw who we face 2nd round
..........WELP (joking joking)

Also, pools are nicely balanced, especially for 3 people getting out.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
if i was nintendude or firo, i would finish 2nd in pools on purpose so I could potentially get to top 8 without playing boom.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I simulated it assuming no upsets and it ends up really close to what it should be. There's no way to optimize the losers bracket perfectly while maintaining 1st seed 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5.
I simulated a better one, let me explain:

The bracket is designed such that it's impossible to rematch someone you played in pools until winners semis or LB3 (unless there are random upsets)
A perfectly played out bracket in my version results in exactly 1 match between people from the same pool in the whole bracket.

while maintaining 1st seed 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5.
My bracket satisfies this requirement. Look at winners round 3

There's no way to optimize the losers bracket perfectly
Given the constraints there exists a non-empty set of optimal brackets, and a set of non-optimal backets. My bracket is more optimal than yours.

In my winners round 1 and my losers round 1, no one is more than 3 away from where they should be seeded. In your bracket people are up to 6 spots away.

ex: match A should be 16 vs 17
You have 10 vs 20. (6 away from 16 and 3 away from 20 )
I have 15 vs 19. (1 away from 16 and 2 away from 19)
Match B you have seed 18 replacing seed 24 (difference of 6), mine has a max diff of 2
Match C you have seed 24 replacing seed 20 (difference of 4), mine has a max diff of 2
ETC

My bracket is objectively better

Edit:
The constraints: For a perfectly played out bracket (the higher seed always wins), there should be no more than 1 match were people from the same pool play eachother.
The Goal: Since seed swaping must be done, minimize the total difference between swapped seed values in the first rounds of winners and losers.
My bracket fits the constraints (it is better or equal to yours) and it does better at the goal than yours.
My bracket should be used unless someone can construct one better than mine

My score for winners round 1 difference: combined difference of 24 => the average difference for every person is 1 spot on the bracket
i might have come up with an optimal one lol. mite make a computer program to calculate optimal solutions

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
There are no rules against alting for this tourney. You can't retroactively add rules once people have already registered and payed. That would be super ****ed up.

You WON'T be DQ'ing anyone for alting, thank you.

And Wizzy will pwn everyone too. He plays a lot. I'm just worried about his match up with LD.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
And mariguas was the one who knocked him out at apex. Maybe he improved. I hope for his sake that is true, because people are coming for that #2 spot so hard.
to be fair mariguas was using samus the whole time but ya. Anyways wizzy has been allotting his time between all of the games as he always has done. im sure he will be improved yet again as that has been the trend

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It's not fair to say Wizzrobe improved when Mariguas is using a character he does not main and on top of that, is playing in 4 frames or so.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
There are no rules against alting for this tourney. You can't retroactively add rules once people have already registered and payed. That would be super ****ed up.

You WON'T be DQ'ing anyone for alting, thank you.

And Wizzy will pwn everyone too. He plays a lot. I'm just worried about his match up with LD.
I made it clear that alters were supposed to notify the TO's so that they could be seeded correctly, while keeping the alt secret.

Also, IF YOU ARE USING AN ALT, PM ME SO I CAN SEED YOU RIGHT. I'll keep your identity secret.
Speaking of seeding, battlecow, are you still super rusty?
PWND

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Doesn't matter you didn't make the rules. Nor did anyone edit the rules suggesting that alting was illegal.

Lastly, you stated nothing about a DQ in that little blurb.

You have no ground to stand on.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I made it clear that alters were supposed to notify the TO's so that they could be seeded correctly, while keeping the alt secret.
If "I made it clear" is true then not informing the TO`s was clearly against the spirit of their seeding policy and not behavior that the player has a right to engage in.

Can we get a verification on the way that pool winners are going to be seeded, or a confirmation that it will be decided afterwards?
Pleeeeeeeease? :D

Edit: For Sheer, who does make the rules to this game anyway? That poll I saw wanted 4 stock DL only, lol.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The TO makes the rules stud. So it can change from tourney to tourney.

Ideally the TO would listen to the majority opinion of the community but that's not always how it works.

In this case Nintendude made the rules and stated nothing about alting being illegal or even frowned upon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom