• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's worst and annoying match-ups?

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Title says it all. Which characters are bad match-ups for Zelda?

My biggest annoyance: :4falcon:
Others: :4sonic::4fox::4shulk:

Discuss. :p

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I still struggle against good Marth's that can space well.
Good Little Mac's are also pretty terrifying.

Honorable mentions:
:4sonic::4sheik::4zss:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Anyone that closes distance really fast. Typically: :4falcon::4diddy::4lucario::4wiremac::4greninja::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi:
I haven't had a huge problem facing :4fox: even though he falls under that category. I guess I just haven't faced any really good ones yet. :4zss: can be a problem as well although I have less trouble against her compared to the ones I listed above mostly because I haven't faced really good ZSS's and most of the ones on FG spam stun laser->dash attack or grab.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Small fast characters are the worst for me. The opposite of the big burly men Zelda eats for breakfast.
This contributes directly to why Smash 4 Sonic is my least favorite character in the entire series.

Last edited:

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I like your updated sig, ZombieBran.

Maybe this is not Zelda specific, but there is no matchup I dread more than vs. Yoshi. To say Sheik is a problem would be a cliche. Good Jigglypuffs are also troublesome, though not as much as these others.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
jiggly is a fun matchup, its a thrill to play a fun jiggly. Sheik is worse than yoshi, but for me yoshi is way more common. I don't even like fighting yoshi as peach....but id almost rather fight yoshi than sonic in laggy rollglory

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
I hate fighting little mac. His normals are faster than Zelda's and he has armor on his normals. I need to get him off the stage or I won't be living for long.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Fast characters plus Rosalina and Luma. For fast characters, I am at their mercy and I have to play the game by their rules.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I fought some really tough :4mario::4megaman::4lucina:today.

The biggest thing they all had in common was the very defensive waiting game which Zelda really doesn't have a terribly good answer for.

:4lucina:In particular, she broke my shield twice haha. I keep forgeting just how much shield damage her -uncharged- shield breaker does. Very painful indeed.

:4mario::4megaman:Have the little bitty projectiles that really disrupt your flow a lot too, unless you power shield like it's going out of style. There is very little commitment involved in a retreating, defensive playstyle whereas Zelda needs to seriously commit to her approach to make things move. Not a good mix!

Rion

Smash Journeyman
finally someone else finds mario frustrating. i was thinking i was the only one DX
Oh yeah! He has loads of stuff to make Zelda players wanna rip her hair out!

Caping/Fludding a bad Farore's

F-ing Fireballs

Downthrow > Utilt uppercuts

Strong fast aerial pokes

He's a toughie honestly!

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I've been kind of destroying Marth and Lucinas online.

I find little mac to be a pain in the ass.

And I think Mario is tough for anyone to fight. His low percent combo game is quite good.

Eulette

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-3444-8461
I think Patient Marths/Lucinas feel so difficult, they actually space their aerials and dtilt, keeping your options limited and punishing your approachs, although retreating Ftilt helps agaisnt to Fair.
If you SHDair for any reason a counter, you won't be hit most of the time, but you'll probably be punished anyways... D;
Its fustrating both because i'm sure i'm probably not doing the Matchup right and because I can't approach at all D:>

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
I just got bodied by Sonic :(
I want to learn how to beat him, I feel like I have to avoid him and not press buttons. I have to wait for just the right moment to attack.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
Like others say, fast characters that can close a gap real quick, leaving Zelda hardly any time to space her attacks out, or hell; use two of her specials (Din's Fire and Phantom Slash.)

VinceIrons

Smash Rookie
Capt. Falcon is my nemesis. Most speedy characters are frustrating, but general skill rather than the MU seems to dictate the outcome for me in all cases except Falcon. A halfway decent Falcon player can just wreck my Zelda all day; I've no idea how to approach a Falcon and Zelda's too slow for me to punish one when they mess up.

Also Duck Hunt. I hate that mutt and his fowl friend.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Falcon will generally come to you after a while unless he has a lead and wants to wait. you just gotta wait for something slightly laggy and punish. beware dash grabs though.

Nargacuga

Smash Rookie
NNID
WiseHorror
3DS FC
4811-7984-6827
From my experience:
:4sonic: Gotta go fast, right?
:4link: Projectile galore, I have a hard time approaching good Link players
:4falcon: Also very fast, hard time keeping him away

VinceIrons

Smash Rookie
Farore's Wind is a decent way to approach Link. Wait until he starts charging an Arrow or goes to throw the Boomerang and Farore's him.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Farore's Wind is probably my favourite move of Zelda's now. It's power is so immense this time its amazing. KOing Fox, Capt. Falcon and Sonic players with it gives me so much satisfaction omg.

Lately these guys have annoyed me too: :4charizard::4bowserjr::4mario::4rob::4greninja::4dedede:

I hate Charizard's and Bowser Jr's side B sooo much. It can be easy to dodge but its just irritating.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I hate Bowser Jr's side B sooo much. It can be easy to dodge but its just irritating.
I realised that while playing as Iggy against a bad Zelda player (Nayru only, lots of rolls, not punishing Junior's down B with Farore...). It's really easy to jump with it and punish Zelda.

Every characters that can move fast and out of Zelda's range are hard to fight. Sometimes, I wish Zelda had a bit more range.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I don't claim to have any experience VS truly good players, or much real player experience, but I do find these chars to be rather uphill to varying extents:

:4littlemac::4peach::rosalina::4sheik::4zss: and sort of :4lucina::4marth:

Great Little Mac players seem, to me, to be counterpick-level losing. Probably the worst. The others are uphill, but I found that I COULD beat them or they COULD be beaten. They definitely get to have more battle control though.

Outside of these (And MUs I haven't yet suffered experienced... :4lucario: ) I don't see many other MUs that Zelda will get endless headaches from.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Zero Suit Samus is my worst nightmare :( Too much speed and range in all of her attacks. TBH I'm still getting used to Zelda's reduced range in her smashes (just got the game like three days ago), but god that whip-swinging b**** is impossible to beat!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So... I just came accross the MOST. ANNOYING. LUCARIO. EVER.

To be fair, he was skilled. But he was as skilled as he was cheap. He mastered the B-reverse so much that it was almost the only things he does... And it was efficient enough, almost impossible to attack him, and if I tried to roll, either I flee and can't punish, either I got punished by getting grabbed. And goddamit, that pummel. Why is it so fast?!

Plus, the first two battles, for some reasons, I lost my double jump while edgeguarding...

Luckily, I managed to kill him during the third battle with Farore at 80%. But I realized that this stupid pokemon have a stupid range.

Last edited:

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
For me:
:4mario: — it depends on the player. He seems to counter Zelda effectively with his range an can get annoying with short-hop fireballs even when reflected. I just try to space.
:4link: — projectile spammers who run away and don't actually make it difficult but rather annoying. I usually win anyways.
:4lucario: — no description needed.
:4yoshi: — #eggthrowfordays.
:4rob: — they still pose a threat to me but I'm not sure how to explain why; many factors.
:4sonic: — SANIC SPEED. I just shield and nair against incoming balls. What's the worst is that his homing attack rebounds too far to effectively rely on a counter-air attack —> leads to more spamming.
:4falcon: — used to be a threat due to the adjustment from brawl's limiting traction but now I'm able to counter him.

Favorable?:
Have they ever existed It obviously depends a lot on the player. Apparently, for example, Zelda outshines many characters against Rosalina and Luma (source is garbage) but you really need to know how to get around to deal damage against an experienced Rosalina. She's big and floaty, something Zelda hasn't been used to except when versing herself, and considering her glass cannon properties, it seems to be effective. A dash attack actually knocks Luma away even though it's not that damage-dealing which is what everyone wants next in line after the death scream of Rosie.
:4pit:/:4darkpit: — seems pretty advantageous; his specials can't do anything so he's forced to approach.
:4duckhunt: — to me at least is like their living nightmare; Nayru all night long.
:4ganondorf: — kind of in between on you but sorry G-Dorf.
:4robinm::4robinf: — just my opinion; still their probably more so even with Zelda, like Shulk players who know how to use his aerials (he's like Ike on steroids–on steroids–with his range).
:4charizard: — big target; slow moves can be punished.
:4lucina: — more confident against her than with Marth's spacing game, doesn't pose much of a threat to me. Plus her death scream is second to none with Palutena's close behind

Last edited:

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I think Zelda has it good against Dedede. While he does outrange you, he is forced to approach. He's a big target for lightning kicks and, while his air game is better than yours, they have enough start up and endlag (except for bair) to challenge him for it. Dedede doing a fair in midair turns him into a target for Faore's wind.

The Ness match up still seems kind of bad, if not even. He absolutely thrashes you in the air, but you beat him on the ground. PK fire isn't that helpful either because you can use Nayru's Love while you're being hit by it. Psi magnet nullifies Din's Fire but this really isn't a big deal.

How is the Mega Man matchup?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
mega man is obnoxious because reflecting some is necessary, but mega doesn't really care too much as he can be out if range of reflection. Maybe evenish, but he's one annoying character to face.

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
Mega Man is a match of patience. Mega Man's side b goes the full length of the stage and should be the reflected. Don't bother reflecting the saw attack as it will probably not reach the opponent. Mega Man can't use his smash attack so he has lower killing potential than normal. This means he will go for srk to get a kill, so stay away from him. If you are having trouble with his projectiles throw out a phantom and start throwing out Din's fire.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Anyone else hate fighting Kirbys? He's so small and difficult to hit (and grab which hurts even more) and tough to punish since he always approaches with his dair/jab which is nigh unpunishable until after the jab combo finishes depending on if he even uses jab combo. He chases offstage constantly and he's got some fast kill moves comparatively. I don't think I've ever successfully sweetspotted a fair or bair on Kirby because he's so tiny and unpredictable in the air. Against good Kirbys, any wins I get are by a hair.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
No one mentioning :4ness: Ness as a bad match up? That kinda makes me sad =(. I had some real trouble with one while playing Zelda since his dash attack and fair are big, glowy impenetrable walls and PK Fire comes out a bit too fast to reflect with Nayru most times. Ness' grabs are one of his strong points so playing defensively with the shield is near impossible, and he's much faster than Zelda is... Its also nearly impossible to chain attacks out of down-throw against him because he can simply nair immediately and nick/block your slow aerial follow-up....

The one solid advantage is the plenty of time you have to Din Fire him while he's using his UpB to get back on stage...

But otherwise, maybe its just me, but he seems to shut things down on Zelda pretty well.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
i must say most of the cast is manageable for me, but some realyl good robs give me troubles sometimes. sure, rob is big and easy target but his attacks are quick. but i get lag so that makes things worse, but i guess when im lagging, the opponent must be too. same with input delay.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
Yoshi is starting to get on my nerves a bit. His goddamn back air ticks me off a lot... he's just so much harder to fight in this game imo.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
yesterday i rekt three yoshis in a row. they were all good but underestimated me (and farores wind xd.ddddddd)

yoshi on for glory is just too predictable.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
For me, :4zss: is the worst. Her attacks completely out range Zelda, her mobility on both the ground and in the air makes landing Zelda's sweetspots difficult, she "falls" out of fsmash more often than she's caught and we have the same problem with usmash but to a lesser extent, and she has fairly easy to land KO moves that kill Zelda early.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
For me, :4zss: is the worst. Her attacks completely out range Zelda, her mobility on both the ground and in the air makes landing Zelda's sweetspots difficult, she "falls" out of fmash more often than she's caught and we have the same problem with usmash but to a lesser extent, and she has fairly easy to land KO moves that kill Zelda early.
this may be true but most zss are really predictable anyway so they are easy

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's maybe because I have a friend who plays ZSS or because those on For Glory are predictable, but I don't find them hard to beat.

Top Bottom