• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's worst and annoying match-ups?

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
I think that Zelda vs Rob is likely an uphill battle more than anything, simply because he has a tool for almost everything and they are all kind of better than the tools we have to work with as Zelda, especially when it comes to aerials.
If you have exceptionally good reflexes you can reflect Robo Beam back at him and gain the upper hand in spacing/camping. You really need to force him to come to you and make him commit to things so I think it's a matter of out-camping him because if Zelda tries to approach it could end badly what with all the landing lag on our aerials >~>

Thankfully his Arm Rotor can't reflect Din's Fire, and Gyro should be equally as easy to deal with if you have good Nayru reflexes (Or even just grabbing it)

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
I think that Zelda vs Rob is likely an uphill battle more than anything, simply because he has a tool for almost everything and they are all kind of better than the tools we have to work with as Zelda, especially when it comes to aerials.
If you have exceptionally good reflexes you can reflect Robo Beam back at him and gain the upper hand in spacing/camping. You really need to force him to come to you and make him commit to things so I think it's a matter of out-camping him because if Zelda tries to approach it could end badly what with all the landing lag on our aerials >~>

Thankfully his Arm Rotor can't reflect Din's Fire, and Gyro should be equally as easy to deal with if you have good Nayru reflexes (Or even just grabbing it)
i also struggled against good ROBs

for example yesterday. it took me many tries to figure out how to beat him. takes some skill thats for sure. worst is his neutral aerial, which has huge range, "strange" hitbox and low landing lag. fortunately hes a big target so be patient and try to bait him and use everything u have aginst him

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
this may be true but most zss are really predictable anyway so they are easy
It's maybe because I have a friend who plays ZSS or because those on For Glory are predictable, but I don't find them hard to beat.
Most ZSS players on For Glory are easy to beat, true. But I came across a few good ones and the match-up felt hopeless once they weren't making mistakes left and right...

Latte

Smash Ace
Link, Shulk, Little Mac, and Megaman are my main problem characters.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Most ZSS players on For Glory are easy to beat, true. But I came across a few good ones and the match-up felt hopeless once they weren't making mistakes left and right...
the major problem i'd say is the flip jump down b. you have to kinda predict it and hit them out of it. it's very difficult to do but if you manage to do it it's very rewarding

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
ZSS juggles me so easily. Is this a major problem for anyone else?

I regularly fight someone who uses her and it does feel hopeless at times. She's just so hard to pin down, it's like she can be anywhere she wants instantly.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
well you can protect from juggling by airdodgin at the right time, just dont spam it. wait when she jump. or fw to the ground but that may be risky. even airdoge is risky if she can predict it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Encountered a very annoying Marth. What bothers me is when a character can win you with only one move, F-air here. Impossible to approach...

Basically, I hate people who use their aerial, no matter if they can hit you or not, and always retreat. It makes long, uninteresting battles.

Granted, I've been surprised by this spam, and what annoys me more is when people leave when you almost beat them the second time.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Granted, I've been surprised by this spam, and what annoys me more is when people leave when you almost beat them the second time.
Had that happen just a few hours ago. Oh Links.

And not long ago a Link 'mysteriously' disconnected just as I landed the finishing blow; a beautiful Elevator put to waste.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Had that happen just a few hours ago. Oh Links.

And not long ago a Link 'mysteriously' disconnected just as I landed the finishing blow; a beautiful Elevator put to waste.
Aaaaah, Link. Strange how a fighting game can turn a character you love into a character you hate.

I find Link manageable, though. Even good ones. But they are rare. instead, it's backroll to one end of the stage, spam every projectiles he have (that the Phantom will block anyway), then repeat.

OR F-tilt spam. I love how cowardly it looks.

Edit: I just failed against a spammy Samus and I'm ashamed of myself. It's so easy to bait a Nayru with a missile then killing with the charge shot. Also, when she was going close... Damn she is hard to punish. Her roll, despite being bad, seems perfect against Zelda. Couldn't catch up, and the fact that it's slow totally break my habit of punishing rolls with Farore.

Last edited:

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Hm, elevator or ladder I'm not sure which name I like better for Farore's Wind :202:

RF_zelda

Smash Rookie
Fast and aggressive characters are often hard to deal with, especially Little Mac. The problem exists on 'for glory' of input lag. Sometimes I am just not skilled enough, but sometimes I feel like in the split second approach I even shield or Nayru's Love on time and nothing happens. The input lag makes even worse what is already a difficult situation and rewards speedy characters on 'for glory'.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
well, whenever you have heavy lag online and you lose a game its better to just not bother with it and disconnect, and not try to beat them to get your revenge as the lag's not worth it

RF_zelda

Smash Rookie
I think we're talking about different kinds of lag. Input lag is apparently not the same as general lag. General lag is when the screen freezes up. I think input lag is just there being an extra fraction of a second from when you input a move to it showing up, as compared to a direct connection between 3DS's. I've read that this makes for a completely different fighting experience (perhaps more for pros with fast reflexes who can notice it). Anyway, I think this sort of thing inherent to online play would yet again benefit faster characters.

Zelfox

Smash Rookie
Being a fox main as well I don't find lag matches much easier as the lag causes me to whiff combos, it's not that bad, but it's still annoying. I actually find slower characters like Zelda a bit easier to use with lag as I dont need long strings of combos to rack up damage.

also I find megaman a difficult mu for Zelda as well. I hate how he just stays out of range using the bomb and blade to force me to approach.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Zelda has severe issues with both types of lag.
Good luck being offstage as Zelda when a slideshow lag appears. Oops, freefall Din's Fire!

Input lag ruins Zelda a bit too. Aiming kicks online is harder than it would be offline. Really input lag is always noticeable. That coupled with the intensely roll happy or gimmicky players make For Glory incredibly annoying compared to offline matches.

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I've actually become pretty talented at killing Captain Falcon as Zelda just because I face one about every other match :D.
Although I'm sure a really good Captain Falcon would kick my butt
:4tlink:HATE HIM I have trouble with toon link more than anything. Such a small little hitbox on that guy and I try to approach from the top but I just get up smashed. I try to approach him from the side, but when I block his boomy, he just grabs me. I also find it incredibly hard to do Dthrow combos on him just because that Dair they have has such high priority

And every single Toon Link never approaches

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Don't know if it's a worst matchup, but I refuse to play against Pikachu.

She has some worse matchups I think. I would rather play any other matchup in this game than that one.

Last edited:

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
Literally all of them... I hate fighting all characters with Zelda, though I love playing with her, except the slow ones. Little Macs always give me a hard time, regardless of who I am. I dunno, I haven't figured out how to properly approach. Plus, with the super armor, it always pisses me off. Anyway, I always try to read fast characters when they're running towards me (like Falcon's super fast run) and down aerial, it actually works very well and nearly all the time it sweetspots :]

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
OK Pikachu I get it, you can spam Quick Attack, shut up now
(.___.')
bait it lmoa

i still believe zelda's worst match up is rob. it's doable if you have experience against it, but it's so rare to fight a good rob you'll probably forget the match up by the time you encounter another one

RF_zelda

Smash Rookie
Literally all of them... I hate fighting all characters with Zelda, though I love playing with her, except the slow ones. Little Macs always give me a hard time, regardless of who I am. I dunno, I haven't figured out how to properly approach. Plus, with the super armor, it always pisses me off. Anyway, I always try to read fast characters when they're running towards me (like Falcon's super fast run) and down aerial, it actually works very well and nearly all the time it sweetspots :]
Fighting little macs on FG is pretty pretty funny actually. All I do is bait them to the edge of the stage, throw them off, chase. Rinse, repeat.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
From some roll glory experience, the few Jr / Koopalings players seems to play Sonic style: side-B all days.

The main problem is the autocancel on some aerials to me.

Other than that, he is still kinda slow and punishable, have a projectile that I find even more useless than Din, and another that can be used against him without reflectors.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
How does anyone deal with Sonic? I find all of his approaches unpunishable. I just sit there and can't do anything.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm not sure, but I think that Down Tilt block Side-B, Down-B and maybe the dash attack.

Also, if he does his neutral B, a stationary Farore can punish it.

Zelfox

Smash Rookie
Try using down tilt, and front smash to stop his approaches. Front smash is actually a really good spacing tool.

Also anyone else struggling with the megaman MU? I am really getting sick of metal blades and crash bombs forcing me to approach. Reflecting them is pretty much useless too. Most of the time I find myself chasing him throughout the match, only for him to punish me and just run away again and continue spamming bombs and blades.

Linnc

Smash Cadet
To Be honest, I've never had that tough of a time with Captain Falcon or Little mac, especially Little Mac. Little Mac, IMO, is one of the worst characters in the game, it's pretty easy to punish most of his moves and get him off-stage and just do Fair, bair, or dair, he's not that good. Captain Falcon is just too predictable, if he runs up and Dash attacks you can either punsh him with any move that's quick enough or just grab and combo him. The worst match-up would, IMO, be probably ZSS and Sonic...

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Yeah zss can give anyone a bad time but im really getting tired of fighting Mario. ugh ****in annoying. EVERYTIME im Zelda or switch to her they always go Mario. Why? WHY DAMN IT TELL ME!!?

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else die to Link a lot? Speaking mostly online, his smash attacks are so powerful and Zelda is so squishy

If I had a dime for every time I've tried to SH Dair link on the edge only to get killed by his Up B...

Last edited:

Linnc

Smash Cadet
Anyone else die to Link a lot? Speaking mostly online, his smash attacks are so powerful and Zelda is so squishy

If I had a dime for every time I've tried to SH Dair link on the edge only to get killed by his Up B...
Nah, I've never really had trouble with link xD

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Literally the entire batch of high tier fighters. They earned their place because of speed, range, aerial momentum, and low delay. So of course when pit against Zeldoo, a slow, graceful, yet powerful magical princess... Well, it just doesn't pan out for Zeldoo. Zelda can just stand there and bait out attacks, using her great punishing moves or keep away style, but we all know bum rushing is far superior to zoning.

Look at Link and Tink for example. They have 2 game styles.
1) they can zone to no end. Link's projectiles are stupidly strong. Tink's projectiles have stupidly high priority. Using them right weaves a web of traps and then there's the easy rolling...

2) they can pretend to be Peach and use projectiles to approach, all the while spamming Nair/Fair. It should be noted that Link's Nair/Fair has high priority to make up for his medium/low priority projectiles. Tink on the other hand is just really small and hard to hit with a side of decent attack range.

The 2nd playstyle will turn any match into at least a 50/50 MU, thus reminding us how effective bum rushing is and spamming the same old attacks. Zelda cannot bum rush. She is stuck with her pretend-to-be-aggressive style or keep away. Both of which are inferior to just attacking/face rolling over your controller.

This is not salt talking. This is months of using facerolly characters on FG and utterly destroying people. The amount of ease I killed people with the top tiers is sickening after I got my GCC adapter. I will never use them again until they get balanced, unless I purposefully nerf myself by using the Wii U Pad or Wiimote so I can feel less scummy. :C

However, I am a bit salty that I can use them so well but my Zeldoo is still meh. wat is dis evn some1 halp me

Last edited:
Top Bottom