• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Tumble

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
After Zelda has been hit, the momentum properties of her specials change.
If you press neutral B generally you will shoot forward in the direction of your momentum.

This is extremely useful during recovery by preforming a b-reversal.
Basically it takes all of your knockback momentum, and reverses it throwing you back to the stage and still preserving your second jump.

Her teleport also benefits from this momentum property in several ways too.
You guys can play around yourselves, but here is a good move to get you on the right track.

After being hit, teleport using either (smash-stick up+special) or (b-stick up) and tap the control stick to the left at the same time. This will cause Zelda to shoot to the left abruptly during the teleport animation, and she covers a good amount of distance. While thats going on, move your control stick somewhere to the right for the direction of actual teleport.

It's very good misdirection and will send people running to the left most of the time.
Obviously that could be done to either side as well, I was just using left as an example

In this sense, Zelda's up-special is a little like pikachu's.. there are 2 distinct periods of motion involved, and they can move in directions independant of one another.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
this sounds like really cool stuff sfoster, useful too. Can you explain it again? because what's happening is a tad complex. maybe resummarize a little for my benefit.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
this sounds like really cool stuff sfoster, useful too. Can you explain it again? because what's happening is a tad complex. maybe resummarize a little for my benefit.
You need to be around 50-60% damage before this really starts taking effect.
Maybe set a handi w/ 99 lives and let yourself get knocked around a little bit.

Press b and you will shoot forward if you timed it right ...
before hand you can also do a fair or bair, and then a b-reversal and zelda will shoot in the opposite direction.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
hmm is this like the "love jump"??
and when u are doing this are u also performing the b attack while shooting to the left or right?
this looks like an awesome technique for zelda's recovery

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i think this actually doesn't share any physics with the love jump.

I think i have an idea of why it works now.
In brawl characters don't get knocked to the right side of the screen. They get knocked backwards. Sometimes backwards just happens to be right, or just happens to be left, that's the way the game's code works. And you attack forward, you don't attack to the left or right. Otherwise, Mario's Cape would be really hard to implement.

So, when you get hit, you get a horizontal vector for flying backwards. Lets call it a backwards vector of 9. If Zelda is facing left, that backwards vector is taking her right. After some of the momentum diminishes, maybe at about 7, you can do Nayru's love. Nayru's love totally cancels vertical vectors (or does so almost completely) but only reduces horizontal momentum a little bit. So by then you've cut it down a good bit, it's probably like backwards 4. Then you do a B reversal, so that you are facing right, and backwards is left. So the rest of that backwards 4 is taking you to the left now, which helps you recover.

That paragraph might have been a waste of time but oh well

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
hmm this seems really interesting because my least favorite part of zelda is her recovery. are there any videos of her doing this?

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
When you say use c-stick up + Special, the c-stick is set to do smashes, right? Not b-sticking.
Correct, but it's possible with B-sticking as well so I edited the c-stick part of my post to try to be more clear.

No videos of this since I don't have the equipment, but it's easy enough to pull off

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
i think this actually doesn't share any physics with the love jump.
They are actually linked, but in reality I covered 2 techniques in this thread.
The B-Reversal recovery is unreleated to the love jump, which is what you were referring to and you are correct there.

As far as the teleport stuff I was talking about - that needs to be preformed in the early stages after being hit, and it's possible to shoot yourself around with Nayru's during this state as well. FW can't be full jumped during the tumble like Nayru's, but the special momentum is still enhanced after being hit for both of these techniques.

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
i still cannot get this move. can anyone help me out. it seems like by the time im able to do a b reversal it doesn't have any effect.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
i still cannot get this move. can anyone help me out. it seems like by the time im able to do a b reversal it doesn't have any effect.
which one, specifically? nayru's offstage recovery?

lets say you're hit to the right .. you will hold the control stick either up or down as appropriate for DI, and you can tap the smash-stick to the left.

near the end of her fair, you can buffer a b-reversal by pressing neutral b and then tapping the control stick to the right.

Top Bottom