• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Hey guys. I did a thing because I was thinking about it for a while now

I actually did something productive. Opinions and stuff. Kill me
berserker01 said:
I've been hearing that Smash 4 has been called Brawl 2.0 and honestly, I'll have to agree. It does feel like Brawl 2.0

The formulas in Smash 4 are mostly similar to Brawl and the engine is VERY reminiscent to Brawl also. What makes Smash 4 different is the increased landing lag on aerials which means SH assaults aren't as dominant anymore. What I'm miffed about is that there are actually some players that see this as a bad thing. Anything that's slow and methodological is bad for them. This is a mentality that KumaOso has been annoyed of for quite a while now. If you guys haven't noticed the neutral game in Smash 4 is definitely a lot more crucial in this game. Taking risks is much more risky as far as I've seen because punishment in Smash 4 is way more painful than it was in Brawl. This is why matches seem "slow" and a lot of players prefer to bait approaches or wait for opportunities to break zones. This reminds me a lot of Street Fighter 4. The new changes to the engine encourages smart play. You're more punished for just auto piloting which is a thing in games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Which sucks ***). Anyway.... Another thing that's held against Smash 4 is the lack of "true combos". I know combos are fantastic to watch and all but really, do combos make the game? I don't think so. Anyway, lack of true combos, somewhat slow gameplay (nothing wrong with that). It's pretty much like Brawl

Initially, I thought Smash 4 was more balanced than Brawl. I didn't feel like any of the characters were dominating the game. Now... I actually don't think the balance is better than Brawl's. If anything, it feels just like Brawl's balance. People claim that every character is viable, yada-yada, blah blah. Sorry, but that's not true. There are those characters that are just bad. They still exist in this game but I'd rather not list those characters because everyone's gonna go for my throat if I try listing them. There are also those characters that dominate the hell out of this game (Diddy Kong, Sheik are primary examples of this). There also those characters that are walking design errors. Bowser Jr. for example is a design error. He can't do anything right at all. He's hopeless against shield, his grab is really bad, his rushdown can be countered by just shielding and his projectiles are gimmicky. Zelda is also another example as a design error because her moveset does not function at all. Although Nairo is making her work, we have to take note that Nairo's fundamentals are top notch and his reaction speed is amazing. Swordfighter's intended design is still vague and unknown. SF doesn't fit in any fighter arch-type category. He's also severely outclassed by every sword character in the game. This game is no different from Brawl in terms of balance but tbh, Brawl was balanced if MK was removed from the roster. Atm, Smash 4's roster is quite balanced but without Diddy, it'd be the most balanced iteration ever. I'm not suggesting that we should ban Diddy. I'm just saying, character distribution would be less over-centralizing. I also want to clarify that Sheik is balanced. The people who downplay her crap KO ability can eat a sock. Solo'ing a tournament with Sheik is MUCH more challenging than solo'ing a tournament with Diddy. So yeah, there's that one dominant character. There are those really bad characters. The middle is balanced. Just like Brawl

What makes this game "better" than Brawl even though it's basically Brawl is:
1) New characters with gimmicks/interesting concepts
2) The overhyped return of true combos
3) Smart play and the increased importance of the neutral
4) It's a new game
5) It's faster than Brawl

So yeah. This game is very much like Brawl except Ganondorf is mid tier. **** all the haters. Anyway, this isn't a bad thing. I guess
:4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:
EDIT: I'm also gonna say, being campy is still more rewarding than being aggressive. Just like Brawl

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I really question the thought process of a lot of moves in this game. Mainly moves like Phantom Slash that beg to be a storable. I mean come on... the move even has 3 different attack patterns. "Hey bro, can you stand there for a sec so I can charge this phantom? Thanks man! You tha real mvp". Din's Fire and Sheik's grenade cause free fall for absolutely no reason lol. Are these moves seriously so powerful that they need to put the user in a helpless position to prevent the world from exploding?

I wish there was a way we could message Sakurai about things like this. Phantom being storable at the very least would seriously help Zelda and it would be simple to change.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
takin the elevator to the top floor of my heart

Toying around with both; while she is absolutely better with customs, I'm still really bad at properly utilizing Super Speed/Lightweight so it isn't really making a huge difference to me yet. I just love her aerials and throws and jab and dash attack. I cry whenever I accidentally input ftilt or dtilt though.

I never learned Mario uthrow combos, but if I'm not mistaken it's his low percent combo starter? I think uthrow>dair>fair is a thing at really low percents or something idk. But yeah, good uthrows are pretty rare...:4diddy::4falco::4greninja::4lucario::4mario::4metaknight::4pikachu::rosalina:? I guess :4palutena::4marth::4lucina: have it as a kill throw option too.
How can you forget about the best killing UThrow? :4rob: has the second strongest throw in the game (well, ignoring Shulk's Smash customs but eh). Blue Pikmin UThrows from :4olimar: also kill, as do :4link: and :4tlink:'s.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just a question but can you guys name 3 legit good moves that Zelda has? By good move, I mean like it's a BnB for Zelda

I'm asking because Swordfighter has at least 1 good move which is u-air
Dtilt for sure. It's pretty much her fastest to hit and usable in neutral attack, and it crouches her very low.

Grab is BnB. In this game she really appreciates ha new Dthrow design, as well as her other throws being good in damage and for getting the opponent off-stage, (F/B) she can get as much as 15-21% off one grab if she plays her Dthrow cards right.

Aside from this it's somewhere between her decently ranged, endlagless, possible extra followup Jab, or her NAir, which is surprisingly alright at catching fighters on the air. I guess Nayru's and Farore's are useful as well, I don't think they're in the same level of BnB. Nayru's is imo not something you should be looking to use as much as Dtilt or Jab, and FW is just a good special KO option.

Those I think are her BnB-like moves.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Just a question but can you guys name 3 legit good moves that Zelda has? By good move, I mean like it's a BnB for Zelda

I'm asking because Swordfighter has at least 1 good move which is u-air
IMO she doesn't need good BnB's in the 3DS version because she now has improved visual effects as of version 1.0.5 which contains sparkles that will instantly blind the opponent because of how bright, shiny, beautiful and sparkling they are now. Having your opponent blind now means you can finally land moves that used to be impossible to hit with like sweetspot lightning kicks, second hit of upB and jab.

(They will still fall out Fsmash and Usmash though... nothing can cure this disease)

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
IMO she doesn't need good BnB's in the 3DS version because she now has improved visual effects as of version 1.0.5 which contains sparkles that will instantly blind the opponent because of how bright, shiny, beautiful and sparkling they are now. Having your opponent blind now means you can finally land moves that used to be impossible to hit with like sweetspot lightning kicks, second hit of upB and jab.

(They will still fall out Fsmash and Usmash though... nothing can cure this disease)
And then it's confirmed there were no sparkle improvemenTs. :049:

Does that mean the power was always inside me?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
How can you forget about the best killing UThrow? :4rob: has the second strongest throw in the game (well, ignoring Shulk's Smash customs but eh). Blue Pikmin UThrows from :4olimar: also kill, as do :4link: and :4tlink:'s.
Sorry, I tend to forget ROB exists

I'm also pretty sure Tink doesn't have throws that aren't bthrow

Rizen

Smash Legend
IDK, what if we were to spread a rumor that the best way to DI out of Zelda's Fsmash was towards Zelda and Usmash was to DI down? Heh heh heh... :evil:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@KuroganeHammer, please stay safe and take care. :c

@ Berserker. Berserker. , I'm 100 sure that as of now, Zelda has more BnBs than MiiSword. Her game is all about Dtilt, Dthrow, Nair and her UpB, whether it is Wind or Squall. MiiSword really only has like Nair (that move is actually really good), but he has no hoo hah or notable specials iirc.

@ BJN39 BJN39 sis, Zelda gained a glowing foot when using her Dsmash now, we now add some bling bling to our attacks ye he. :^)

MiiSword really only has like Nair (that move is actually really good), but he has no hoo hah or notable specials iirc.
Prepare to be shocked. Swordfighter can actually do the hoo hah but you're on point about his specials. His specials are meh. His n-air is also meh. It's unsafe on block because the damage output is so BAD

But thanks guys. I'm convinced that Swordfighter is WAY worse than Zelda

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Swordfighter's hoo hah kills at like 80%, it's actually ridic

Uair and dair are pretty much the character's only good points though

EDIT: And being the only swordsman with a Mario cape

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
I've only used him like once or twice against noob friends in FFAs, and I win by spamming Nair lololol. That's why I thought it was good but yeah, seems like it's easily an inferior swordsman, even with a hoo hah , and even compared to the mop. :/

Is the cape special its best DownB move?

More reasons for us not to get the PS4: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-order-1886
I've only used him like once or twice against noob friends in FFAs, and I win by spamming Nair lololol. That's why I thought it was good but yeah, seems like it's easily an inferior swordsman, even with a hoo hah , and even compared to the mop. :/

Cape is his best down B but S.Fighter is still poopy

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Not sure about "best", but it sets him apart from other sword characters the most. I don't know what's considered good for the character though, I've only ever seen that and Chakram talked about; I like the default neutralB windbox projectile, it seems like an interesting gimping tool. I'm blind, didn't see "best DownB". The other options are a counter and something so bad I can't even remember what it is, so in any matchups with projectiles I would for sure say it is, and in other matchups it depends on how useful the cape is for gimping I guess.

I went ingame to doublecheck some things with the character and dair doesn't spike anywhere near as hard as I remembered, but it's quite possibly one of the easiest moves in the game to hit people out of ledgesnaps with (Tornado Hold is the best imo), and it spikes.

Utilt reminds me of Zelda's but with a sword. Dtilt's actually pretty fast, not sure how its data compares to, say, Marth though.

Also I don't know how you kill with Swordfighter aside from uair

Last edited:
Also I don't know how you kill with Swordfighter aside from uair
You pray that f-smash somehow hits anyone. I think d-smash is okay for KO'ing but you're going to have to get the second hit connected (which is most likely to happen when punishing rolls with d-smash). D-air off stage is pretty good

Other than that.... Eh
Street Fighter, Kingdom Hearts, Persona and GTA though
Kingdom Hearts is coming to the PS5

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Wow this character has Link's jab

Too bad diagonal jabs are dead for 3ds now

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, SWORDFIGHTER

You pray that f-smash somehow hits anyone.
Fsmash seemed booty and is actually what spurred the question lol, same with bair, I was really disappointed that a ledge trump bair didn't kill Palutena at like 120%

Usmash seems powerful.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
@ BJN39 BJN39 sis, Zelda gained a glowing foot when using her Dsmash now, we now add some bling bling to our attacks ye he. :^)
When I compared ha visuals between 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 (I had two compies available.) I am quite certain she had bling foot Dsmash in 1.0.4 as well. :/

On the bright side, she was always fabulous.

Also, bling foot should be a thing.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Lucario has a glowing hand during nair

Is Lucario Zelda's spirit animal?

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Welp i'm having a fun day so far! How is everyone today?

One sec Zelda, let me adjust me hat for this.

Phantom just became our longest range attack :awesome:

The blades connect together and increase the duration of the attack.

Don't worry girls, if Sakurai wont fix our phantom I will do it myself!

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
i'm looking at my Zelda compilation video on the times where she's using Dsmash (this is for Wii U 1.0.2, which is identical to 3DS 1.0.4), and there's no glowy bit on her foot, so I'm sure this is Sakurai's work and excuse to call it a buff.

Also, despite all the talk about MiiSword being bad, it may have an advantage, albeit very small, against Zelda. Of course swords are Zelda's worst nightmare because they cut her approach short and their range just outright keeps her in check. It seems as MiiSword's ledge trumping techs are decent too, and considering that Zelda wants to go for the edge during recovery most of the time, this kinda sucks. Also, now I know MiiSword's hoo hah kills early, so that kinda cuts Zelda's rage rampage short, and she's not the hardest character to grab either.

However, MiiSword's recovery is extremely easy to deal with, and Zelda's edgeguard game should be plenty enough to handle it. And because of MiiSword's iffy air game, she does feel a bit more safe to be in the air than usual to commit, of course unless she's above it. Finally, MiiSword has troubles killing other than the hoo hah, so its kill tactics gets predictable, and if you can get away from that, rage kills should be easier to come by. c:

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
I had my friend do the Infinite Din's Blaze thing with me at school today,needless to say it was ridiculously fun and we beat the crap out of everything.

So, I've been thinking about maining R.O.B. He seems very fluid to me and a blast to play as. I like the cute and quirky feel of his character as well. Plus, I get to (sort of) hoo-hah everyone for days w/o looking like pretentious satan spawn because I'm playing someone currently stuck in the midtier cesspool/purgatory. What do you guys think?

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Man, this reminds me of the brawl days with Snake's C4 partner kamikazi. I really miss Snake and I didn't even play him :ohwell:.

Armed booty: check

Zelda can exchange the bomb without having to touch other players. All she has to do is teleport through them and it places the bomb on them. I use this a lot when fighting Mega Mans, idk why I didn't think about it for team combos until now lol.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I imagine Zelda+Megaman to be a really good team. With the suicide bomber method, both having projectiles and reflectors (with customs), Zelda's Squall being able to push Megaman while he's charging fsmash, dsmash, usmash. Imagine how annoying it would be to face this kind of team. Not to mention Megaman is a really good character by himself and both of us have really good kill potential. This might be up there with the Zelda+Villager combo.

edit: Zelda should be able to cancel endlag of Din's on Rush too!

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I think I just saw a CPU Robin discard two Levin Swords...but I don't have room to save the replay to doublecheck, so I don't want to go cry wolf to the Robin forums without evidence.

I was doing Palutena's jab>jab>grab. After the first jab Robin dropped the Levin Sword and I thought "Okay, sword's gone, cool." Then another sword dropped after the second jab and I was like "uhh...."

Guess I get to clear some replays and try to replicate this for a few hours. Guess I should also tag @Raziek so he can wonder why he's being tagged in the Zelda boards in case this actually is a thing.

So, I've been thinking about maining R.O.B. He seems very fluid to me and a blast to play as. I like the cute and quirky feel of his character as well. Plus, I get to (sort of) hoo-hah everyone for days w/o looking like pretentious satan spawn because I'm playing someone currently stuck in the midtier cesspool/purgatory. What do you guys think?
I would say things, but like I just got done saying I don't even remember that ROB is a character half the time lol. If he feels fluid and fun to you though then that seems like a very good reason to main him.

@FullMoon will be delighted to hear about this. :secretkpop:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
She can cancel Din with Rush but he only stays out enough for maybe 1 or 2 cancels. I can see Zelda + Mega Man being a strong team together also just with the barrage of projectiles they can do.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
Nayru's Rejection is my least favorite custom for Zelda so I don't play around with it much. I think you can Rejection approaching opponents into grabs but that's about it. Nayru's Rejection is a really boring move lol

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Nayru's Rejection is my least favorite custom for Zelda so I don't play around with it much. I think you can Rejection approaching opponents into grabs but that's about it. Nayru's Rejection is a really boring move lol
I guess I'll expiriment on my own

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
@ Macchiato Macchiato It seems pit talk must have been inspiring <.<
also the only pokemon profile pic allowed should be furret
tumblr_ms4d28wYTK1s2i16to1_1280.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom