• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ryu's defensive mobility is pretty bad tho lol. That's not false, it's objectively true. His aerial influence is terrible, if you hit him, the most he can do is Focus Attack but he's locked into it for almost 30 frames, etc. etc. I am recalling everything people say about Roy and how his air speed is bad because of his terrible accel, this applies to Ryu except tenfold (the large difference is Ryu's aerials are better on paper but his mixup game in that regard is lacking. That's why they're all kinda safe on block, he can't really weave or mix up his landing.)

Spotdodge is bad, rolls aren't that good. He's the most viable heavy in the game because of his punish game, but his defensive options outside of like, shield are pretty bad. His ground speed is his best mobility trait but that's only if he runs, which he has MINIMAL solid options out of (DA is ok, dashgrab is good, that's it). You'd normally then walk but his walk speed basically relegates it to doing it in people's faces only.

I don't play Ryu anymore mostly for control reasons (Why does A button do specials) but nothing that's being said about him in there is untrue at all.

The funniest thing about Ryu is that what he's been known for very often (his very potent fireball game) is really REALLY bad in Smash. Why does Red Fireball literally die i none hit to EVERYTHING? The FAF is terrible (worse than Mario fireball except Mario's are way better because of how he can weave and their trajectory in the air vs. flying straight ahead like Ryu's), the dmg isn't good. They lose to everything but blocking which is funny.
First of all you and everyone in the CCI thread are using 'objectively' wrong. Is anyone supposed to believe there's no bias or opinion in statements about ______ being better than ______? Second you just named the downsides while completely ignoring the upsides which I addressed here http://smashboards.com/threads/4br-...ive-impressions.429826/page-529#post-21323672 it's like saying Bayo has bad dodges if you ignore bat within. Third, lets say Rosalina launches you up, would you rather have frame 1 FA armor and be Ryu or be a fatty like Bowser? You're recovering from offstage, would you rather have Ryu's intangible until hitbox comes out upB or one of the many that can be swatted away because they lack intangibility in the air? Point in case, Ryu's defensive options are no where near trash. High tier players need to stop freaking out when a part of their game isn't OP.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Wtf?

That's the stupidest thing ive seen all day. Did the modder decided not to change her cowl, hair and glasses that has BAYONETTA colors?
There's worse and it's just a general thing that happens with mods, I guess. For example, someone tried to make a Leon Powalski alt for Falco. Didn't turn out right... It's kind of... weird to me.

But then you see stuff like this and you know that with more practice, time, effort, attention to detail, etc., amazing stuff could happen.

Falco's Blaster is at least transcendent and doesn't lose to literally anything. It has a similar FAF on the ground at 59 (like one frame slower) but an FAF of 50 in the air.

You don't want your character to be downgraded do you?
Well, once you're at the bottom, there's nowhere else to go but underground. :p

Also, considering that I'm the one who feels like if there is another patch and it involves Falco, I would want his Dtilt disjoint and Fair landing hit removed entirely without any recompense...

I feel like the problem (I have with Falco's Blaster) is that it's out of place in Smash and out of place in a fighting game.
Transcendent priority is fine, kind of like how some projectiles that are multi-hits in other fighting games can "beat" another projectile because there's still a hitbox left, but the problem with 64 Fox and Falco's Blaster is that you can fire repeatedly which, okay, if Smash had EX moves or Super Combos, then it would be fine, but it doesn't, so by default this move can allow people to spam a stream of projectiles. Smash 4 has the highest risk, but in past games and even without auto-canceling, it was pretty stupid. Granted, there are a ton of stages, but as Smash is played in a variety of ways with fighting game being one of them, the projectile was already broken by design. Next up, is set knockback... Falco's Blaster only stalls people. Kill stealing doesn't work when hit stun refreshes recovery moves, so he can't do what Fox does (not to mention having shorter range) or even Bayonetta who can keep you stuck in one place or with Charge Bullet, actually KO you. Stalling's probably not a thing anyone wants to deal during a match either, especially if it's continuously fired and with not enough time to respond once you get hit. Yes, the set knockback means there's not a lot of hit stun, but it's like, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. Brawl and Melee's, especially, but even Smash 4's troubles players. Okay, what the hell? Why is there an annoying as hell projectile in this game?

In none of the Star Fox games do lasers do hit stun or knockback... Stuff like explosives do, but not lasers outside of special cases like the Fire Blaster in Adventures which I'm pretty sure did some hit stun and knockback during fights against the SharpClaw. Melee and onward Fox's Blaster would be the truest to the Star Fox games, a rapid-fire laser that does a ton of damage and no hit stun or knockback. Cool, a Star Fox thing, except it's already way too good and giving variations to it to the other Star Fox characters could be weird. Slower, but higher damaging Fox Blaster doesn't fix the problem that if it still did no knockback, the much slower whatever would make it terrible to use. Hey, a bayonet could help with that, but still. A faster version would be stupid since Fox already fires fast. Oh look, 25% in less than second from one spammed projectile that does no hit stun or knockback. If we go with it just needs to fire lasers or be Star Fox-y, then there's a ton of other options. Uh... charge projectile? Yeah, other characters have that, but none of them have the ability to charge and move which isn't limited to Star Fox as Mega Man, Metroid, Yoshi, Zelda, etc. have that too. An Assault-style Blaster for Falco would be pretty neat; move while charging, but firing is stationary, uncharged is a tweaked, so less range, lower recovery, lower damage, whatever, Fox Blaster while charged has knockback and more damage and range.

I wished Specials weren't so weird to edit in PSA -- can't mod Smash 4, so Brawl / PM will have to do --... Would like to see what his Blaster would be like if it had his U- and B-throw laser's knockback... tweaked a bit since it's kind of high for a projectile at 60 base and 80 growth. Also, removing its ability to fire continually, Melee's startup and total frames... Melee Blaster's startup and total frames would basically "fix" most of Smash 4's (and Brawl's) problems with his Blaster. Basically a Sonic Boom with set knockback. Still would remove the ability to fire continually since... it's just weird. Starting to feel... was it LancerStaff? Someone suggested that Falco be able to only fire a set number of times before stopping. 3 shots, that's probably enough. Also, Fire Wolf on Falco. YAY! No more crappy Up Special!

On another note... I like Rashid, but I don't really like how he fights. Rashid's such a fun character; he's goofy, laidback, and just this fun guy. He's like the friend everyone wants. Also, his theme is awesome. Fighting style, however, I'm not really feeling. If only I had a PC to play SFV... I'm thinking if I were to get SFV which is more likely than me getting Smash 4 and a Wii U since a decent PC would probably be more beneficial than a Wii U, I would probably focus on it over Smash mostly because there isn't a lot of bullcrap in SFV when all the characters have cohesive game plans unlike in Smash 4 where the only character I like playing has an incomplete one.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I want Falco to have a good DA and to keep his Dtilt. That's all he needs. Just copypaste Fox DA and give it to Falco. Immediately viable. That's it, done. Finished.

Falco Dtilt is so godlike, don't ask for cool ass pokes like that to get removed.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Ryu lost to what I expected him to. Disjoints that wall him for free and his own airdodge.

It was like Ryu trying to fight someone with Yoga Catastrophe out at all times.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Big points to Kamemushi and Ranai for getting there without top tiers.

Anyone want to play friendlies? I made some Miis I want to try out.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I want Falco to have a good DA and to keep his Dtilt. That's all he needs. Just copypaste Fox DA and give it to Falco. Immediately viable. That's it, done. Finished.

Falco Dtilt is so godlike, don't ask for cool *** pokes like that to get removed.
But it's so disjointed!

I'd rather have a Melee-esque Dtilt where it has the same hitboxes throughout rather than Smash 4's 12% sweet-spot with higher knockback and 11% and 9% sour-spots with lower knockback. Brawl's 12%, 12%, and 9% would work fine too, but it's a bit weird when Falco's Dtilt doesn't have much range to begin with and it had a sour-spot in Brawl.

Right now, if it didn't have a disjoint, it would only have slightly less range than Fox's Dtilt which itself has a bit of a problem since the tip and attack trail do have a hitbox there. Don't know about Brawl, but Melee Falco's Dtilt has less range since his tail doesn't stretch (as much). In Smash 4, it's closer since they changed to animation to Falco stepping forward for a sweep.

For a poke, if Ftilt wasn't unsafe on-hit at 0% to until like 30% -- I think it isn't until 40% that Mario goes into tumble instead of sliding --, then Ftilt would be the poke instead of Dtilt which only really pokes because of its disjoint. BJN39 suggested 20 base, but that might be a bit much since it does 9%. It's the only check kick Ftilt to not have any base and has kept its frame data since Melee. Luigi's has 2 base and it does 8% while having higher recovery at 26 frames... There's also (Dr.) Mario with 8 base and similar high recovery, 24 for Dr. Mario and 25 for Mario, for a check kick... Check kick Ftilts tend to be... under-powered. Pre-patch Samus anyone? Meanwhile, Fox with his frame 6, 16 recovery, 10 base, 110 growth check kick Ftilt -- it's basically a light kick with like medium kick power. I was thinking of a Ryu-type one where it has much higher base than growth, but that would probably kill its ability to reset. Also, jab would be a decent poke... Why... the multiple angles probably complicates things like it's doing to his post-1.0.8 Uair, much higher recovery -- sure, increase it, but not to the point where completing or stopping is a Morton's Fork for Falco --, and then there's rapid jab's something.

Just remembered something, with Little Mac introducing the idea that angling Side Smashes leads to different moves, I'd like to see more of that in Smash 5 with other normals. We already had that with Specials, Dancing Blade and Double-Edge Dance, but not with normals. Usually, angling Ftilts just angles them. Maybe something could happen like angling, say, Falco's Ftilt down makes him to a faster, but shorter-ranged low roundhouse while angling it up makes him do a Brazilian kick, a deceptive roundhouse that looks like it's going to hit straight on, but instead hits high.

Also, I tried to test a different dash attack that focused on power to match its frame 8 startup... Screwed up, made it do 16% with Ike Uair knockback. Since I didn't change its startup, it was a frame 4, 16% dash attack that KO'd at ~110%. Whoops. I entered "10" for the damage which in hex is 16. I meant to enter "A" which is 10 in hex.

It is a bit weird that they allow the faster character who also got a dash speed increase to keep a frame 4 dash attack. The only other frame 4 dash attack I remember is on Wario who is also slower-moving character on the ground. Yeah, that's totally right, make the slower character have the slower dash attack... Pretty much explains why Fox's OOS dash attack is so damn good compared to any other character. Fox's 2.4 dash speed also makes his dash Up Smash stupid as well. 2.4? Second-best dash speed is 2.05, Little Mac's! That's a 0.35 difference! After that, it's Falco's 1.9, Samus's 1.86, and Lucario's 1.8. At least Falco kept his Melee dash speed... At least his dash is still good. Getting Nash vibes of good dash, but poor walk speed. Regarding his dash attack, it's kind of in the realm of meh. It's not good, but it's not bad. With its doubled startup, it probably should be stronger in raw power, but it's not. It's slower than Fox's while only being slightly stronger... *checks their hitboxes and compares them* ... Really? Really, developers? Their clean hits are pretty similar; Fox's is a bit disjointed. Their late hits? Falco's is moved to a different bone, his leg, and the hitbox shrinks noticeable. Fox's? Smaller hitboxes on the same bones.

Apparently, this was the same in Brawl and Melee, except Falco's dash attack was always on the same bone like this.

At least have a hitbox on his foot too... At least the Smash 4 Falco's dash attack has better hitboxes, clean and late, than in previous games. Is this... is this a common trend for Falco and Fox? Smaller, crappier hitboxes on Falco. Let's see, dash attack, sort of Ftilt, Uair's sour-spot, sort of Dair, Fire Bird, Falco Phantasm, Melee Reflector... Mmm...

What Falco really needs is to be able to challenge at range which is what Blaster should be doing. Without that, he kind of has to rushdown and try to pressure by staying close. Doesn't work when you're one of the slower-moving characters.

Also, he really needs to not have an Up Special (and a neutral Special custom and an Up Special custom) that isn't an inferior version to Fox's. Gee, developers, that ability to slide horizontally definitely gives it an edge up to Fire Fox... Meanwhile, Fire Bird launches at the same frame as Fire Fox, travels slower than Fire Fox, travels an average Up Special's distance, has smaller hitboxes, is unreliable, and can't reasonably KO. We get it, Falco's not supposed to have a good recovery, but can it not be defined by the fact his recovery is bad because his Up Special (and technically Side Special since it lacks a hitbox on the latter half) is an inferior version to another character's? Make it bad because of other reasons than his recovery moves are worst than Fox's. For one, I would rather have his Falco Phantasm be a worse recovery to Fox Illusion not because the hitbox doesn't cover the entire travel leaving him helpless to any hitbox unlike Fox who can at least hope for a clank (and because it raises his hurtbox), but because it has half the travel distance. Less than Melee's which traveled less than Fox Illusion in that game, but Brawl decided it should travel just as much while traveling faster and having lower recovery... Point of that is it could have something like, it has less travel making it so Falco can use it as far as Fox, but it has much lower recover giving Falco a sort of command dash.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
you guys do realize top 8 is super respectable in the first place right?

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
If Trela was not eliminated by Dabuz, it could have been Ryu vs Mario in grand finals :denzel:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So has it basically turned into Mario 4 top tire yet
Well if i ever made a tier list of who you should main to actually win in smash competitively Mario would be right after cloud for top tier

Also I'm working on my banner since i gave @Nammy12 all my 3ds replays now

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Oh no, I'm finally getting back from vacation on the 19th, I'll have to search for worthy PPG2 clips! Then Monday I have a weekly to train for, and on Tuesday I'll have a new stage in DOA, and the KOF XIV demo. I'll also have hours of footage to study from EVO since I can't really watch it on vacation. So many gaming plans.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
k i did my banner for ppg2 and i wanted some opinions
Antonykunbanner.png

In hindsight it may be too big so i'll adjust that if need be

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Okay fam, I concede. I'm extending the deadline for Powerpuff Gorls 2 to NEXT SUNDAY. THAT IS JULY 24TH. In the end it does seem like I was rushing you all a bit, and I honestly need a bit more time to organize clips myself.

To save time, feel free to send in your music choice as well, as well as your banner/what you want on your banner during this extension week. Happy replay hunting!

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Morning girls. How's everyone doing? :4zelda:

Decided to briefly check on the Top 8 for Pokken. And a Braixen main named Tonosama won EVO. :yeahboi:
From what I saw in a highlight reel someone posted, Braixen's Flamethrower actually avoids Emolga's assist. And if timed correctly, Braixen can combo her Up X into another Up X. So much technology being discovered! <3

It kinda makes me wanna try and get back into Pokken.

Top Bottom