• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Apparently Mii Gunner's Grenades got nerfed. Still good though.
They fixed how they don't blow up on contact against nearly everything, so they're somewhat less annoying.

Miissiles got a slight buff in that they lag less

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Customs don't dominate the metagame. Look at EVO top 8. Hardly any customs that made a difference besides ESAM's Pika. Sure, Nairo used ZSS' custom blaster but it didn't make a difference tbh. The only customs that are really divisive are Villager's customs. We don't see top players losing to random Trollagers though. Yeah, they can drop games to them (I've seen Ally drop several games to Trollager) but those are talented players, not randoms that are riding custom jank to victory. Donky Kong is made good through customs as is Palutena. Neither of them are broken or divisive though. There's also a lot of controversy over Pika's customs ONLY because of what ESAM can do with them. Ask most top players and they'll say that all customs are beatable and most don't like customs anyway lol.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
1111 default Brawler is actually so fun. Have to work on B reversing that Up B though :/

Head on Assault jab resets up to like 150% which is ridiculous. Makes them bounce too far though :(

Dthrow combos into everything at around 40-80%

Yeah

Soul.

Customs are actually balanced now; look at Pikachu's Thunder Wave man. No more infinites! They listen!

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Customs are actually balanced now; look at Pikachu's Thunder Wave man. No more infinites! They listen!
Was this the actual first time they have ever fixed a custom from a patch?
BTW how would you be able to get sakurais or any of the devs attention to buff a move(like Zelda's dins)
Just constantly use it until he realises how much it SUCKS?

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
BTW how would you be able to get sakurais or any of the devs attention to buff a move(like Zelda's dins)
brawler's one-inch punch (dthrow + first hit of piston punch ohko'd light characters off a platform) was patched in a previous update, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:

Soul.

They have changed customs before; just not infinites.
Also, maybe.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
They fixed how they don't blow up on contact against nearly everything, so they're somewhat less annoying.

Miissiles got a slight buff in that they lag less
I hadn't played around with missiles much before the patch but was impressed with how well they homed. Now they're probably a lot more useful.

Grenades would cancel now if they hit, say, a Fireball, so both go away, right? They would should still make killer landing traps though.

I've considered replacing Villager with Gunner because grenades and normal grab

Soul.

Speaking of which, Zee (the Villager main) has been *ahem* destroying the misconceptions that people think about Villager on Twitter; he says the character is not viable and the competitive impressions thread discussed that a bit.
Though they said Ranai is apparently the one that plays Villager correctly (which is kinda true tbh).

"Villager can camp" lol.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I still don't like Gunner's missiles even with the buff. :/

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What does Zelda even space with? Jab? Dtilt? Er... Din's Fire in a way like how tough guys try to puff out their chest only to get a knee to the crotch?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Fsmash and phantom and maybe even Ftilt
Yes, let's space with a frame 16 move that has a 50 frames of commitment, at minimum frame 42? (31 minimum charge and 11 release) with 67? frames of commitment, and a frame 12 move with 40 frames of commitment... Yes, Zelda's spacing is phenomenal... She could use dash attack and Nayru's Love too, I guess... Her jab should be faster, especially when you consider how stupid Roy's jab can be at times - thanks, developers, for giving Roy a disjointed frame 5 jab that lets him act at frame 23 while Zelda acts at frame 24. Ganondorf's jab should be stronger too since Zelda's does a consistent 8% now if it fully connects while Ganondorf's does 10% sweet-spotted, 7% sour-spotted, and 4% if you really screw it up. Oh, and Ganondorf can't act until frame 35 which is 5 frames earlier than his Ftilt and 1 frame earlier than his Dtilt, but gives less reward than his Ftilt and Dtilt... You can see why Ganondorf players don't use his jab as much. Seriously, it's not that difficult to stick out your hand. Zelda's jab should be frame 8 at the most and Ganondorf could be frame 6 and it wouldn't be a problem. At least it would help with their close combat game and not getting screwed over because your fastest attack is frame 8 - Ganondorf - or your fastest attack is a frame 5 Dtilt - Zelda -, so you can only hit grounded or opponents below you.

... I just realized that Falco can't act until the same frame as Roy can with his jab 1... Thanks a lot, developers! We have a frame 2 jab 1 that we can't act until frame 23 if we choose to not do jab 2. Meanwhile, Fox, Sheik, Luigi, and Triple with their jab and pick another option freely! No wonder Falco gets screwed over by anyone with a frame 3 Nair if he so much as attempts to do anything with his jab other rapid jab! Oh wait, you can punish his jab 2 to rapid jab transition as well. :glare:

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Speaking of which, Zee (the Villager main) has been *ahem* destroying the misconceptions that people think about Villager on Twitter; he says the character is not viable and the competitive impressions thread discussed that a bit.
Though they said Ranai is apparently the one that plays Villager correctly (which is kinda true tbh).

"Villager can camp" lol.
I don't think Villager is unviable but he's on the cusp of viability. Rosalina is hard but not necessarily awful. Ranai probably does the best because he doesn't try to camp and force approaches.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
@ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 GG, wow are you geting macchiato syndrome? whats with all the chars.
Late reply because I had to run to go to a family dinner haha

I was derping around because I was playing on my Gamepad. I play awful with that controller so I wanted to have some fun with multiple characters today.

If I really had Macchiato syndrome I would announce that I main :4charizard: right now smh :^)

Last edited:

Shrokatii

Smash Lord
NNID
thtarwarth
3DS FC
2406-5322-4533
I think 1111 Palu < 1111 default Brawler

I mean like at least brawler has a completely functioning moveset *cough cough tilts cough*
Palutena don't need no tilts.

She needs buffs :secretkpop:

Last edited:
In 1111 settings, I think Palu is better than Brawler. Then again, I'm biased for Palutena so.... :p

Re: Villager talk

I wasn't ever sold on Villager's solo viability. Like, since 3DS release.

Anyway, you know who I think is part of the top 10 for sure? Wario. I wasn't confident because Wario has zero rep but because the best player in my scene USES Wario, I get to know why Wario is so lethal. The farts and bikes ;-;

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
I think 1111 Palu < 1111 default Brawler

I mean like at least brawler has a completely functioning moveset *cough cough tilts cough*
idk

Default Brawler struggles really hard to take stocks because he only has like 3 good kill moves and his throws never kill ever which also means that he hates smart shielding. His range is pitiful and, correct me if I'm wrong, he doesn't have any safe way to approach making it easy for even shortranged characters to keep him out. Not to mention that his recovery is ungood and easy to exploit so when he's knocked offstage he's probably not coming back if his opponent knows how to walk off and press a button.

EDIT: Dapuffster explained this himself a few months ago

I've never seen Default Brawler get far even at small local tournaments with no good players. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen him win a match. At least Palutena has players like AeroLink who does alright at his locals and IceNinja who places well at regionals/nationals in his area.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Well, the super armor, windbox, and damage aren't really out of line for customs in general. It's the safety about it that gets me. I haven't really played against it except in some teams matches where I don't get the chance to confront it directly. But watching matches with it just makes me wonder why it's so absurdly hard to punish when used right. There are a few other moves that are very safe on landing (true Shoryuken comes to mind) but none of them have a hitbox the size of Kong Cyclone.

But I'm generally for customs because it opens up more options.

Re: Villager talk

I wasn't ever sold on Villager's solo viability. Like, since 3DS release.

Anyway, you know who I think is part of the top 10 for sure? Wario. I wasn't confident because Wario has zero rep but because the best player in my scene USES Wario, I get to know why Wario is so lethal. The farts and bikes ;-;
Neither was I, really. But he felt (and still feels) like an overall good character. But he has his weaknesses.

I'm still transitioning from Brawl where bike was bad outside of recovering for the most part.

Neither was I, really. But he felt (and still feels) like an overall good character. But he has his weaknesses.
I'm also like that ;-; *hugs*

Palu is better than Brawler because she doesn't have THAT much of a problem securing kills. She also has a good defensive game and her aerials are amazing. She has okay damage-racking and decent KO ability. Mii Brawler has literally nothing to be honest (without customs). His range sucks **** and he can't ever approach safely. He also has issues with KO'ing. So yeah. I'm basically repeating what Red-caps said

Last edited:
Top Bottom