• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda new player questions thread (Q + A Thread)

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Post your questions in this thread. This is questions to help people get better at Zelda, not get better at fighting her. There are like 3 other threads giving tips on how to fight her, and there's even a place to complain about her. All questions will be added to the OP... As soon as I can figure out how to do a titled spoiler.

Question: how do I teleport to the ledge from the stage?
Step 1: full hop in the middle of the stage.
Step 2: up b
Step 3: point analogue stick at ledge
Step 4: disappear
Step 5: return analogue stick to neuteral
Step 6: laugh at your dead opponent

Diagram by shadowgannon is 3 posts down

So... Ask away! We promise we won't laugh too hard.
I think we should sticky this BTW

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
What's a Zelda?

The way to do a spoiler is [ spoiler ] PUT CRAP HERE FOR THE SPOILER and then use a backslash to end the spoiler [/spoiler]

The first spoiler in brackets does not have spaces, I just had to type it that way so it wouldn't do a spoiler automatically haha. So you'd really just have the word "spoiler" in brackets, followed by the content, and ending with [/spoiler]

Last edited:

Mixedbreedog

Smash Rookie
I see people hanging on the edge with Zelda and then using up + B but cancelling the teleport animation so she doesn't teleport how do you do this? also How do you teleport onto grabbing the ledge from the stage any tricks to it?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I see people hanging on the edge with Zelda and then using up + B but cancelling the teleport animation so she doesn't teleport how do you do this?
I could be wrong, but what you may be seeing is the guy teledash in place. To teledash, initiate the teleport, and, from the moment you disappear and the moment you would have reappeared, you can airdodge out of it. So, say you want to teleport half way across the stage, but your normal teleport would take you farther than that, simply airdodge out of the teleport where you want to stop (Be sure to angle the airdodge downward). It takes a bit of practice, but it's pretty easy to learn.

Also How do you teleport onto grabbing the ledge from the stage any tricks to it?
This picture should help:

upload_2014-5-14_7-32-42.png

Just jump a little ways from the edge (I'm not quite sure about the exact distance) and teleport to it. If you did it right, it should auto snap to the ledge. Just make sure there aren't any platforms in the way when you jump.

Lol, beat you to it @ Pika_thunder Pika_thunder . Feel free to answer this guys questions as well, because I feel like I missed something....

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You actually have some wiggle room as to where you can start Teleport and reappear at the ledge (a full teleport, not cancelling). At some point in the ToW thread I'm going to list the exact points, but once you get a general feel for it it's not that hard to do. I think if you hold towards the ledge you auto-snap it, but if you are out slightly further you go off the ledge and not grab it, and have a double jump you can still use!! If you hold away from the ledge, that might let you do it too, but not sure on that

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
I see people hanging on the edge with Zelda and then using up + B but cancelling the teleport animation so she doesn't teleport how do you do this? also How do you teleport onto grabbing the ledge from the stage any tricks to it?
One thing everyone else has missed is YOU HAVE TO RETURN THE ANALOGE SITCK TO NEUTERAL! 10/10 you'll kill yourself if you forget this vital step.

Step 1: full hop in the middle of the stage.
Step 2: up b
Step 3: point analogue stick at ledge
Step 4: disappear
Step 5: return analogue stick to neuteral
Step 6: laugh at your dead opponent

Full process in case you like that display.

Melbourne

Smash Rookie
New forum member and fellow Zelda PM main chiming in, because I don't believe anyone answered MixedBreedog's other question.

I remember looking up how to do this but finding nothing I got frustrated and taught myself, therefore I'll try and help. While on the ledge you can slightly tap down on the analogue stick and jump up, this is obviously used to do an aerial "through the stage" in a sense and keeps you on the ledge or pushes you onto the platform depending on how you do it. What you can do with characters like Zelda and Fox etc... Is again, slightly tap down on the analogue stick while on the ledge than jumping above the ledge. While you are above the ledge quickly hit Up B and what will happen (if done succesfully) is Zelda will have the golden ribbons or whatever they are wrap around her normally as the teleport does, but before you actually teleport you character will automatically fall on to the ledge, canceling the animation and causing you to regrab the platform.

This is useful because the beginning of the teleport actually has a hitbox so when you do this and someone is near the ledge, or off the ledge you can continuously push them back, either further back on the platform making it safer to get back onto the stage, or pushes them kind of diagonally downward forcing them to spam their recovery move, resulting in an easy ledge guard.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
You can use either the analog stick or the control stick to let go of the edge. I would recommend to the side away from the stage if you want to let go without fast falling and pushing down to get a fast fall. Then you will want to either immediately perform an up b or wait for a moment if you are trying to stay lower on the ledge. The technique works because the startup portion of the teleport (before the actual teleport) automatically snaps to the ledge if within range of it. Personally I find the quickest way to do the technique repeatedly is to press the c stick away from the ledge and then immediately perform up b. Immediately after she grabs the ledge repeat the process. @ Mixedbreedog Mixedbreedog are you maining Zelda? :)

freezingfires

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the Smashboard although I registered a couple of weeks ago.

I have trouble with the MU's where characters force an approach and have a glaring speed advantage (i.e. Fox, Falco, Sheik). How to improve in these? Also how can you practice with the sweetspot hitting accurately every time? I'm seen Zhime play with Zelda and 99% of the time, his lightning kicks sweetspot.

Melbourne

Smash Rookie
Her dash attack, Naryu's love and Teledash > anything works to be honest. Speed isn't a problem, it's characters that can juggle her to hell and back because of her helplessness in the air that are a pain in th ass to play. Just keep practicing the basics and keep adapting and practicing on how to out space your opponent and you should be fine.

For your oh-so-beautiful lightning kicks, it comes with time. When I first picked up Zelda I didn't even know where the sweet spot is. 6 months later and it's harder to miss than connect with one. Again, it goes back to fundamentals. Practice spacing, research and learn what you can beat/trade with and learn how to hit characters out of their recovery with an LK spaced well. The problem is learning how to space critical sweet spots. Some grabs almost combo perfectly into a critical strike on certain characters if you have the timing and spacing. Practice makes perfect. There's no other way around it, just out your mind to it and keep going.

DwightDL

Smash Cadet
How can I use Naryu while either rising (i.e. for recovery) or falling? I've looked through other threads and didn't see anything (probably missed the post) so if you just want to link me to another post that'd be cool too.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
How can I use Naryu while either rising (i.e. for recovery) or falling? I've looked through other threads and didn't see anything (probably missed the post) so if you just want to link me to another post that'd be cool too.
Rising Nayru's is called a Love Jump. In the first moments of hitstun, jump and then immediately hit B. You can also hold left or right up until you hit B to Love Jump left or right, rather than just straight up.

Falling (at a speed faster than normally) with Nayru's is called Diamond Dive. It works similarly to the Love Jump, but it's a little more complex. You can go straight down by just hitting B. To go diagonally, though, you need to DI right or left (whichever way you are hit) to increase your horizontal momentum. THEN hit B. If you want to go back towards the opponent, you will need to B-reverse it. To B-reverse, hit towards your opponent on the control stick IMMEDIATELY after (almost simultaneous) hitting B.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Is there much reason to Love Jump diagonally? I'd argue no, because:
  • If you're getting comboed, Love Jumping up is often faster and lets you jump higher (there are less frames between jumping using Nayru's Love when you don't have to release the control stick).
  • If you're getting hit far away, it might be better to save the jump to make it easier against edgeguarding. And Love Jumping up is easier to get more vertical distance as well.
But I'd like to hear if I'm missing something and doing it diagonally is actually useful.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Out of the 2 Love Jump variants, I'd argue that only Diamond Diving is useful. :>
Love Jumping with either Nayru's or Farrore jumping is useful to escape pressure. Everyone knows being above an opponent is the worst position in the game, but it can bide quite a lot of time to place dins in order to recover safely or tack on completely free damage. You can even place dins and then transform to Sheik if you see them going to hit the dins away.

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but a few of your threads haven't been posted on in a while so I figured I'd just go here. I main Samus and I need a secondary who can counter or go even with fox, falco, and falcon because I feel Samus has trouble with them. Is Zelda the character I'm looking for?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but a few of your threads haven't been posted on in a while so I figured I'd just go here. I main Samus and I need a secondary who can counter or go even with fox, falco, and falcon because I feel Samus has trouble with them. Is Zelda the character I'm looking for?
Ummm... Maybe. You'd have better luck with Mewtwo, though.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Sup, we have a Skype group where we talk about stuff so our character discussion seems minimal.

I would say Zelda now has a lot of tools to deal with super aggro rushdown Falcon, and same with Fox, but if they play patiently it is a very difficult MU for Zelda. If you still wish to play Zelda we will help you do whatever, but there may be other characters that can better aid you in your quest.

Other possible characters you could use could include, Marth, Roy, MK, Mewtwo, etc.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
So, any of you Zeldas know about the changes that are gonna happen to her from 3.0 to 4.0? If so what do you think about em?

jtm94

Smash Lord
As for changes no one knows but we have ideas of what they may do. They consist of Melee or weaker kicks, making her multihits easier to SDI out of, possible dins overhaul into something else or reverting back to useless, taking away hitbox at the end of UpB teleport, taking out Nayru's Love-jumping as well as Diamond Diving with Nayru's. These are all hypothesis. No one really has formed a consensus on possible buffs, anything can happen.

Is this Skype group exclusive or can any Zelda main join?
Anyone with questions about Zelda/Zelda enthusiasts can join!

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
So, any of you Zeldas know about the changes that are gonna happen to her from 3.0 to 4.0? If so what do you think about em?
Apparently there is a lot of stuff floating around in regards to this topic. It's hard to decipher what is actually fact from rumor. Also it will sort of depend on how the rest of the cast is changed as well. We're waiting to see and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
What would you say is Zelda's most basic and effective combo?
At low % on most characters I would say Downthrow > Upsmash > Nair > fair/bair
You can also just start with upsmash. I find myself doing this combo the most.

Also jab is really good. Jab > fair/bair OR Jab > grab > whatever

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
At low % on most characters I would say Downthrow > Upsmash > Nair > fair/bair
You can also just start with upsmash. I find myself doing this combo the most.

Also jab is really good. Jab > fair/bair OR Jab > grab > whatever
OK, thanks. I'll for sure add those to my arsenal. I kinda did the first one often but not the follow up so ^^ thanks

Hebi

Smash Rookie
Any Zelda main can join of course! :) I take it you are interested?
definitely interested here. Been playing Zelda for a while, but recently started to take PM seriously. Any way to step up my game is something I want in.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
definitely interested here. Been playing Zelda for a while, but recently started to take PM seriously. Any way to step up my game is something I want in.
Alright check your messages and you should see something.

If there are any other Zeldas/enthusiasts that aren't aware we have a social group and I would like to be included just let me know, and I'll be happy to add you. :)

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Are there any prominent players that play as both Sheik and Zelda? I've found it really useful and fun. Transforming to detonate Din's Fire is a great surprise, and then switching up to Sheik's playstyle is a nice change of pace that really can change the pace of a match. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage at any way by doing this?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
making her multihits easier to SDI out of, possible dins overhaul into something else or reverting back to useless, taking away hitbox at the end of UpB teleport,
I hate to get off topic, but humor for two seconds when I say changes like this would be pretty ****ed up. Like really.

That's pretty much it. A question I guess I could say I have is who do we communicate with so Zelda's changes won't nerf her horribly haha

jtm94

Smash Lord
Are there any prominent players that play as both Sheik and Zelda? I've found it really useful and fun. Transforming to detonate Din's Fire is a great surprise, and then switching up to Sheik's playstyle is a nice change of pace that really can change the pace of a match. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage at any way by doing this?
Talk to Zhime the best PM Zelda player. He abolutely loves that sort of playstyle. Others do it as well in the Zelda group, but I cannot point out who individually. It is a very unique playstyle and others will say it is bad, but I personally think it is untapped.
I hate to get off topic, but humor for two seconds when I say changes like this would be pretty ****ed up. Like really.

That's pretty much it. A question I guess I could say I have is who do we communicate with so Zelda's changes won't nerf her horribly haha
There is no one to talk to, changes will happen regardless, the safest measure is to be prepared and spread word of how to counterplay Zelda so she isn't resented. It would seem most of the hate has calmed or moved on towards other better characters.

lmazard

Smash Rookie
Alright check your messages and you should see something.

If there are any other Zeldas/enthusiasts that aren't aware we have a social group and I would like to be included just let me know, and I'll be happy to add you. :)
Add Me too please .

Top Bottom