• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda buffed.. bad?

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I personally liked Zelda the way she was in Melee, since nobody really paid attention to her and assumed she sucked. But now, she's majorly buffed, which leads me to think...

I mainly chose Zelda in Melee because of the fact that I like to choose characters that aren't well known / commonly played. But watching some videos / reading around the forums here, it seems that there will be a lot more Zelda players (a LOT) than before...

What do you guys think? Personally I enjoyed the fact that not many people played her. I hope she stays mid - low tier, I really don't want to change mains.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
Uh, all the casuals thought she was one of the best in the game, and a lot used her. Maybe she was absent from the competitive scene, but she was certainly not unpopular. How about you just stop worrying about what other people do and use who you want to use?

Luthien

Smash Ace
Uh, all the casuals thought she was one of the best in the game, and a lot used her.
Really? I know a grand total of one person (in person) who plays Zelda in Melee. Me.

I might just live in a really weird area, but everybody (casual) where I live thinks that Fox and Sheik are the best. Not too far off. There are seldom few who believe that Mewtwo is secretly the best in the game, but he needs lots of practice (last part not far off). And then there are those who think you can play as Master Hand if you beat Adventure Mode on very hard and shoot exactly 101 names in the credits...

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Haha, same here. Nobody here uses Zelda. Mostly Marth / Fox / Falco / Link. Hopefully it'll stay relatively the same for Brawl. (The Zelda part)

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Nope, everyone here thinks Zelda completely sucks, so I have many joyful opportunities to surprise them. ;) I'm glad she's buffed. Face it, if they didn't buff her and take care of many of the flaws we've all complained about, then we'd be lamenting how they left her so sucky, why does Sakurai hate the Zelda players, etc. Heck, we're still saying that because of flaws that were left in.

I've said it before, I don't know if people will flock to Zelda because a) I find many male players don't like playing overtly feminine characters and b) I think a lot of people will stick to their favorite characters, as I am sure there are many viable characters in the game, certainly on par and probably better than Zelda.

I don't have major concern that she will be one of the top three characters everyone will default to, and if she gains a few more fans it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
I dont think youll have to worry toooo much because FREAKING marth is still running around with a sharp stick and dyed hair. I still find it hilarious that people are choosing to play Sheik over Zelda when sheik's killing power AND combo power have been reduced to nothing. I dunno, youd have to fair them UNDER the stage or something to get a kill and even then its not a sure thing.

Um. go zelda

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Zelda better not be a top-tier character. I only used to fear when people played Shiek, but I don't want to have to fear when people play Zelda too. D:

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Zelda in herself is not a very popular character. I picked her in melee because my friend had already laid claim to Link, and Zelda was the only other (available) LoZ selection. Of course I fell in love with her afterwards, but Zelda isn't really an enticing choice when presented with the current roster.

I'm not worried at all that Zelda will be the new Fox/Falco. I will be pissed if it happens, but I don't think it will.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not very worried at all about Zelda becoming like Falco/Fox, that may be a bit extreme :p

I guess we'll just have to see... *squirms around for a month until I can finally play it*

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Ohh, I meant the new Fox/Falco in terms of how many people play her, not necessarily how good she is.
Sorry. I guess my meaning wasn't clear.
I seem to be doing that a lot lately.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Ohh, I meant the new Fox/Falco in terms of how many people play her, not necessarily how good she is.
Sorry. I guess my meaning wasn't clear.
I seem to be doing that a lot lately.
I don't think that will happen because fox and falco are still really good, and the new star fox rep, wolf seems to be good too.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Zelda will never (or has less of a chance) get the attention to be tested tier wise. I mean, i can guarentee you, for alot of the tourney-goers, they would have scrolled through the list...'Hmm Ice Climbers, Mario, Zelda...oooh Fox!'

She simply isnt popular outside her core fanbase from Melee, you have to be a certain person to really see and understand WHY playing Zelda is so good (see: vain :p)

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
But it's true though. Zelda takes time and patience. Most other characters are like instant gratification [/exaggeration]

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Zelda sucks when I use her :3

I am going to try and improve and be able to beat all of my friends. Just cause I'm like that :p

-Onyx

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even if Zelda was the de facto best character in the game, the best Zelda players will still be recognized and singled out as the best Zelda players.

There's absolutely no reason for you to be worried about her competitive scene increasing due to her buffs, because if you ARE worried about losing your uniqueness, you're not a truly competitive player anyway and your scene will not clash with the other.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Really? I know a grand total of one person (in person) who plays Zelda in Melee. Me.
Too true. I love playing with narrow-minded friends.
" Why are you picking the girl in the dress!? she'll trip on her heels!" It's hilarious when those heels connect with their face for the 5th KO in a row though.

I don't think you have anything to worry about tho, TC. Zelda could be high Tier this time around, but I don't expect a TON of people to flock to her. You'll still get the morons that refuse to play as her simply because she's a girl, and a princess.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Haha, thanks for the replies guys. My friends always bash me for playing a girl, but I return the favor when I own them :D

One thing that bothers me though, is when I'm playing with Zelda...

"Hey, who's playing Peach?"

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
One thing that bothers me though, is when I'm playing with Zelda...

"Hey, who's playing Peach?"
The people at the Peach board of course hehe. Though I think a couple people here play Peach as well.

Really though like others said you shouldn't have to worry about it to much. She's buffed yeah but I don't think it's to the point where she can destroy everything in site. You know what I could be wrong. Either way no matter the outcome you should stick with her cause she's teh awesomeness :bee:. Also she would probably kick you in the face if you abandoned her lol.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Even if Zelda was the de facto best character in the game, the best Zelda players will still be recognized and singled out as the best Zelda players.

There's absolutely no reason for you to be worried about her competitive scene increasing due to her buffs, because if you ARE worried about losing your uniqueness, you're not a truly competitive player anyway and your scene will not clash with the other.
QFT. Agree with all of this. I hope nobody missed it.

Edit: Is my sig viewable now?

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not abandoning her, I'd never do that :p Zelda FTW.

Also, a bit off topic, but do you guys plan on uploading videos of your gameplay? I really want to record the matches I'm going to have, but I don't want to spend extra bucks buying a capture card, nor use a video recorder (major sound / graphic quality deduction).

Luthien

Smash Ace
Also, a bit off topic, but do you guys plan on uploading videos of your gameplay? I really want to record the matches I'm going to have, but I don't want to spend extra bucks buying a capture card, nor use a video recorder (major sound / graphic quality deduction).
Yes. Where I upload depends on what happens. Someone could make a Zelda video thread, or another thread that's already open could volunteer some space and let people post their videos there. We'll have to wait for the game to come out to see. But I am definitely posting my videos if it helps me get better, even if I somehow get completely destroyed by Drake[3] (not happening) and am humilliated.

If you want to get better, having people better than you point out your mistakes is one of the best ideas possible.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the main reason I want to upload videos is for criticism. I'm guessing you have a capture card? I hope they find some way to get replays online.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you can upload videos, then you can probably hit up the Brawl Wi-fi with others... unless you live on the other side of the earth or something.

And your sig is visible again, Luthien.

TheLake

Smash Master
She wont be as popular (she certainly isnt around here...then again we have Mow to make up for the three pepole in PA that play zelda) as all the other neat new reps but folks are flocking to her because the gals got charm.

The true zeldas shall remain though and if they make it in the competetive scene then they certainly deserve it (to make up for lost time from melee)

Ryoko put it best though.

Have no fear, zeldas in brawl and thats all that matters (; (still wish krystal made it though...)

Kiwi.Ko

Smash Rookie
I've said it before, I don't know if people will flock to Zelda because a) I find many male players don't like playing overtly feminine characters and b) I think a lot of people will stick to their favorite characters, as I am sure there are many viable characters in the game, certainly on par and probably better than Zelda.
I agree that many guy gamers don't like to play the feminine characters (i'm the only guy that i know that would play Zelda) and also that we should stick with our favorites.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all, like GameAngel64 said, we should be happy to get more Zelda fans.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Is Zelda getting a buffed bad? Of course not. I'm pretty sure all characters were buffed from Melee to Brawl. And worrying about Zelda getting popular is nonsense. When newcomers look at the char. select screen, I'm pretty sure Zelda is low priority. They would opt for cooler looking chars. like Wolf or Lucario.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
When newcomers look at the char. select screen, I'm pretty sure Zelda is low priority. They would opt for cooler looking chars. like Wolf or Lucario.
cooler ≠ furrier

To a newcomer, Zelda would probably look pretty enticing. She's got maaaaaagic. Ooooooo. Flashy attacks are a good way to get immediate attention.

Not hating on Wolf or Lucario, but Zelda's pretty cool in concept. "Powerful magician" sounds really good to the ears of a new player. "Jackal wearing shorts", not so much.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
cooler ≠ furrier

To a newcomer, Zelda would probably look pretty enticing. She's got maaaaaagic. Ooooooo. Flashy attacks are a good way to get immediate attention.

Not hating on Wolf or Lucario, but Zelda's pretty cool in concept. "Powerful magician" sounds really good to the ears of a new player. "Jackal wearing shorts", not so much.
Not really. The majority of newer players to Brawl will be wowed by seemingly "cooler" characters like Ike, Marth, Falco, C. Falcon, Wolf etc. Players like those won't appreciate Zelda.

And I don't think anyone has to worry that people will flock to Zelda and she will lose her uniqueness. Every character has his/her fanbase, but only godly characters like Melee Fox/Falco get really overused.
Zelda will likely see MORE use , especially with the nerfing of the great Sheik, but it doesn't seem that she's broken enough to be abused.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Well.. With a new roster that's incredibly huge, I don't think it'll be much of a problem at all. I think Zelda only comes out to a few people as a cool/good character. As far as I know, I'm the only Zelda player in Louisiana and I'm just in love with her.. really.. I'm 4th best in Baton Rouge, but people still don't use her except for me, so from what we've seen from Melee, we should be good even if she is buffed. A lot of people would want to try to main the newer characters now anyway.

Top Bottom