• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Zelda and stats

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
I've made my way around this big 'ol place we call the "internet" several times in my life. I've been a part of many Zelda forums, from GameFAQs to Zelda Universe, from your little backwater proboard site to SmashBoards. One thing I've noticed is that Zelda fans love pitching their own ideas for ways to improve the series.

Some ideas are better than others - this is to be expected. Some people put forth some very neat and unique ideas, such as introducing multiple weapons into the series and creating monsters and bosses that can only be defeated by a specific weapon, while some ideas are plain silly, such as turning Zelda into a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG. One idea I see from time to time - in different forms - is the introduction of stats into Zelda.

We all know what stats are; they are very typical of RPGs, especially those our friends in Japan make (Final Fantasy is the archetype of this concept). Now, Zelda has always had some form of stats, but they were always very minimal. Generally it is limited to two things: Link's health and weapon strength. Link's health is clearly shown in the form of hearts, with upgrades provided throughout the game, and while it is often times unnecessary to max out one's health, it makes the game much easier. The strength of Link's weapons is never clearly displayed, however simple observation can make it obvious as to which weapons are stronger than others. A few titles have even had defense stats, although this is often a rare occurrence.

This leads me to Zelda II, in which Link had three distinct stats. LIFE did not affect how much health Link had; this could only be improved via Heart Containers. However, LIFE did make Link loss less health which each level-up. This time it was not a weapon that determined attack strength, but rather Link's ATTACK stat. Lastly there was the MAGIC stat, and while only Magic Containers could increase his magic pool, the MAGIC stat made it so one required less magic to cast each spell (for the most part).

However, Zelda II had a major drawback: the game required high stats. In many RPGs you are simply encouraged to level up, and (at least it should be), that the game's curve moves along with how much EXP you should be earning from fights, thus making the need to grind nonexistent. Zelda II not only encouraged grinding, but pretty much required it in order to complete the game. Trying to beat Zelda II without perfect stats was nigh impossible.

This takes me into the point of this topic.

People ask for stats, armors and weapons that alter Link's attack, defense, all those sorts of things. But I ask, do we really need to make such a simple game complex?

Why add more variables to game that isn't based on combat alone? Why take more skill away from the game in favor of odds and luck? Zelda is supposed to be about the game and the player, you versus it. From time to time you'll get an easy way out of a situation, but this is unavoidable in any game. Why add in elements to make the game easier, yet make it needless more complex?

What situation would you rather face?

a) Oh wow, a Dark Nut! I need to be careful and learn it's pattern so I can kill it!

or

b) Oh wow, a Dark Nut! I need to equip *item* and make sure my *stat* is high enough so I'll take minimal damage. So long as I'm doing more to him than he is to me, I'll be okay!

Where's the skill? Why turn Zelda - a game where the battling is supposed to be action-based - into something else entirely? It just wouldn't be Zelda anymore!

Don't ride me off as some anti-RPG freak. I love RPGs, I love Final Fantasy, and Tales of Symphonia is one of my most favorite games ever. This problem doesn't just lie in RPGs. Many popular hack and slash games are introducing stats, such as God of War. Strength upgrades, attack upgrades, you name it. The skill slowly disappears from the game in favor or ripped abilities that are simply game-breaking.

If I wanted these things I'd play these games.

I make this topic because I fear for what Zelda could ultimately become. I am scared that the series would be ruined the same manner as say... Castlevania?

Not so long ago Castlevania games were action-packed with some of the most intense combinations of platforming and fighting that video games ever saw. You had health, ammo for special sub-weapons, and a varying degree of attack power based on the weapon you had (Vampire Whip vs. upgraded versions). Beyond that it was you versus the game, your reflexes and skills versus a series of platforms, gaps, and an army of monsters.

Then years passed.

We got Symphony of the Night. An interesting experiment that mixed the classic Castlevania environment with a Metroid-style gameplay and RPG elements. What we got didn't feel much like Castlevania, because there were a dozen of different variables at play at any given time. It was no longer about you versus the game, all kinds of luck. Tasks that would have only taken raw skill and trial and error to pass were removed. Anything you couldn't fight through could be taken care of my growing a few more levels. Any jumps you had a problem making could be fixed by some special power.

The challenge was gone, replaced by a grind-fest.

What's worse was Castlevania never recovered. Konami undoubtedly knew that much of their original fanbase was not pleased with the changes, but they didn't care, and made attempt after attempt to branch out into new audiences. I'm not mad at Konami for trying something different, and overall I'd say SotN was a successful experiment, but it should have remained as that: an experiment. Konami would eventually release a classic-styled Castlevania, about ten years later... for the Wii Virtual Console...

I'm not saying don't try new things, but I am saying is keep true to the roots. Don't make massive changes to Zelda or any series, because after a while, it won't even feel the same anymore. I still play Castlevania, but it doesn't feel like I'm even playing the same series I loved on the SNES and the Genesis.

I encourage Nintendo to try new things. If they ever get the urge to experiment with some exploration, puzzle-based action game with RPG elements, then go for it. But don't call it Zelda, don't make it Zelda. Don't slap a label on there just to make it sell, make a game and see if it can stand on it's own two legs.

Zelda is amazing just the way it is, and we should never try to make it be something it isn't.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I agree with much of what you said. I did find Zelda II to be enjoyable, but Stats definitely don't have much of a place in the Zelda universe. I think Nintendo learned this early on and won't be willing to try it for a while (if ever again).

I would like to see some new ideas introduced though. I just don't know what. Multiplayer would always be nice, but I can't see it with Zelda.

:034:

X1-12

Smash Champion
I don't really think there should be stats in Zelda beyond things like Master swords does 2X as much damage as kokiri sword etc... i totally agree, if i wanted a stats based game i'd play pokemon or FF or something

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
I agree with much of what you said. I did find Zelda II to be enjoyable, but Stats definitely don't have much of a place in the Zelda universe. I think Nintendo learned this early on and won't be willing to try it for a while (if ever again).

I would like to see some new ideas introduced though. I just don't know what. Multiplayer would always be nice, but I can't see it with Zelda.

:034:

I'd love to see a Zelda game that has both an Overworld and the Underworld. Kind of how it was shown in the cartoon, you could freely explore both ends, with dungeons being found in the Underworld, with towns and NPCs on the Overworld.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Some ideas are better than others - this is to be expected. Some people put forth some very neat and unique ideas, such as introducing multiple weapons into the series and creating monsters and bosses that can only be defeated by a specific weapon, while some ideas are plain silly, such as turning Zelda into a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG. One idea I see from time to time - in different forms - is the introduction of stats into Zelda.
A Zelda MMO is silly? You certainly don't come off as an anti-RPG freak, but you certainly come off as an anti-MMO freak. Zelda is the Nintendo IP that best lends itself to becoming an MMO after Pokemon.

People ask for stats, armors and weapons that alter Link's attack, defense, all those sorts of things. But I ask, do we really need to make such a simple game complex?
There is a major difference between simple and shallow. Don't get the two confused. Zelda has one of the most shallow combat system ever, and only gets away with it because it has fantastic level/dungeon design. Zelda's fighting, however, is incredibly, mind-blowingly, mediocre. Don't argue bosses here because Zelda bosses are living puzzles, not enemies.

Why add more variables to game that isn't based on combat alone? Why take more skill away from the game in favor of odds and luck?
This is really silly. It doesn't matter if Zelda's main focus isn't combat, Zelda still has combat. There's no reason why Zelda should settle for mediocricy.

I'm also not sure where you get the idea of "odds and luck" from. How many RPGs have you played recently? Most RPGs nowadays don't randomly improve stats on level-up. They usually give the player points that the player can assign to the stats he sees fit. I don't see how these variables would at act as odds and luck in-game either.

Zelda is supposed to be about the game and the player, you versus it. From time to time you'll get an easy way out of a situation, but this is unavoidable in any game.
Really? And just like how from time to time you'll get an easy way out of a situation, every game is about you versus it.

Why add in elements to make the game easier, yet make it needless more complex?
What? How does giving the player level-ups make the game any easier? Designers would, you know, design the game with this in mind. There's a reason why your mother told you to think before you speak - if you don't, you end up saying stupid things like that.

What situation would you rather face?

a) Oh wow, a Dark Nut! I need to be careful and learn it's pattern so I can kill it!

or

b) Oh wow, a Dark Nut! I need to equip *item* and make sure my *stat* is high enough so I'll take minimal damage. So long as I'm doing more to him than he is to me, I'll be okay!

Where's the skill? Why turn Zelda - a game where the battling is supposed to be action-based - into something else entirely? It just wouldn't be Zelda anymore!
Man, I don't even know where to begin here. I'm seriously starting to doubt if you've ever played an RPG. Now then, during most RPGs, you'll have a certain weapon and equipment that's the ideal set for a certain part of the game - during said part, the enemies would be made to be a challenge up against that ideal equipment set. You would still have to learn the pattern and be careful around the Dark Nut, dude. You'll just get that little mental high that you get during RPGs when you have the award of experience points for defeating it.

Also, you're making it sound like Zelda combat is actually something more than mediocre at the end of that quote there. Yeah, no.

Don't ride me off as some anti-RPG freak. I love RPGs, I love Final Fantasy, and Tales of Symphonia is one of my most favorite games ever. This problem doesn't just lie in RPGs. Many popular hack and slash games are introducing stats, such as God of War. Strength upgrades, attack upgrades, you name it. The skill slowly disappears from the game in favor or ripped abilities that are simply game-breaking.

If I wanted these things I'd play these games.
But you're forgetting one very important thing here: Zelda isn't a hack and slash. If you think Zelda is a hack and slash, then you are incredibly confused.

I make this topic because I fear for what Zelda could ultimately become. I am scared that the series would be ruined the same manner as say... Castlevania?

Not so long ago Castlevania games were action-packed with some of the most intense combinations of platforming and fighting that video games ever saw. You had health, ammo for special sub-weapons, and a varying degree of attack power based on the weapon you had (Vampire Whip vs. upgraded versions). Beyond that it was you versus the game, your reflexes and skills versus a series of platforms, gaps, and an army of monsters.

Then years passed.

We got Symphony of the Night. An interesting experiment that mixed the classic Castlevania environment with a Metroid-style gameplay and RPG elements. What we got didn't feel much like Castlevania, because there were a dozen of different variables at play at any given time. It was no longer about you versus the game, all kinds of luck. Tasks that would have only taken raw skill and trial and error to pass were removed. Anything you couldn't fight through could be taken care of my growing a few more levels. Any jumps you had a problem making could be fixed by some special power.

The challenge was gone, replaced by a grind-fest.
And this is the single silliest thing you've said all day. Sure, you didn't like SotN. But everybody else? Yeah, they ****ing loved it. There's a reason why it's constantly placing in Top 100 Games of All Time lists and sold a helluva lot.

What's worse was Castlevania never recovered. Konami undoubtedly knew that much of their original fanbase was not pleased with the changes, but they didn't care, and made attempt after attempt to branch out into new audiences. I'm not mad at Konami for trying something different, and overall I'd say SotN was a successful experiment, but it should have remained as that: an experiment. Konami would eventually release a classic-styled Castlevania, about ten years later... for the Wii Virtual Console...
You know, I'd believe this if I'd ever heard of anybody except for you lamenting that Castlevania changed formulas.

I encourage Nintendo to try new things. If they ever get the urge to experiment with some exploration, puzzle-based action game with RPG elements, then go for it. But don't call it Zelda, don't make it Zelda. Don't slap a label on there just to make it sell, make a game and see if it can stand on it's own two legs.
Why not? Zelda is already an exploration, puzzle-based game. Now lets make the combat actually more than mediocre and throw in some RPG elements to further bolster the combat system and then we might actually have a Zelda game that can surpass the N64 Zeldas.

Zelda is amazing just the way it is, and we should never try to make it be something it isn't.
Yeah. Improving a violently mediocre combat system won't make it something it isn't, dude.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
SkylerOcon going on the offensive!!!!

I love it, flamewar? I think so....

Anyways, I think Nintendo is going in the right direction with their combat system and TP was a just a small sip of the cup.

First off the Wii!
The Wii was made so you can move around and the character would move as you did. Well, in TP you could make Link swing just by shaking your control but it was limited to just that. Although that was a big disappointment for me, I loved it!!! I loved just randomly doing spin attacks and such with my controls just by shaking them that was fun! Now, with this New Zelda coming out we will be able to move Link however we desire thanks to the Wii's Motionplus. This will be ****-ing awesome!!!

Second.
Starting in WW you could do certain moves such as parry, and then the roll behind and slash tactic (I forgot it's name). In TP you got to learn moves from a past hero. These moves were also fun to play with and they were actually useful against certain enemies.

So Zelda and stats? No. But changes in Zelda's battle system? GIMMIE SOME MO'!!!!!!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well technically Zelda does have stats, they're just all masked under aesthetics instead of numbers. I respect and love it that way. For instance, normal arrows, fire arrows, ice arrows, and light arrows all have different numerical values for the damage they do to non-elemental enemies and elemental enemies such as water-types who would have a higher defense against fire and a lower defense (including freezing) against ice. There are stats in Zelda, we just recognize them as visual effects and inventory icons in the games instead of numbers. What they need to do is expand their behind-the-curtain statwork tenfold by giving us boatloads of more content that we visually relate to by experimentation and exploration, we learn how the items, objects, and foes work with one another. Adding a means of customizing our arsenal with all sorts of options/upgrades and thus our experience in playing the game WITHOUT using any numbers would be perfect.

c3gill

Smash Ace
did i see Zelda mmo?

thats a hell of an awesome idea.

-all i got out of this thread.

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't think there's enough to the Zelda universe to make an MMO out of it. Plus, they do that, and pretty much it becomes all about Zelda MMO. You can try to say that wouldn't happen, but look at Warcraft, and Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see the core Final Fantasy series remain MMO forever.

Top Bottom