• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
The moment I saw all the Pokeballs flying, I got really hopeful for Greninja in some form or another, and then was kind of "ehh" when I saw Charizard, thinking that was the new announcement, but I was still happy to see him. Once the figure in the shadows was shown, though, I thought it was going to be like the Rosalina trailer where different game series were being crossed over, so I thought it was some ninja character from a game I hadn't played. When it started charging the shuriken, because of the lower quality, I thought it was some sort of ice blast (so... an ice ninja...?). The moment he went upright and I saw those horns, though, I honestly went ballistic. I'm usually a fairly composed person, but for about five minutes or so, I was overwhelmed by hype. Honestly, I thought Greninja had a chance as a Pokemon in a new Kalos-based Pokemon Trainer's roster, but a small part of me still hoped it could be its own character... and then it was.

Pretty sure Greninja may finally have managed to usurp Politoed's position as my favorite Pokemon at this point as well (you can probably see I have a thing for frogs XD). It definitely made up for the Oli nerf for me personally, and it's definitely been the most hype Smash 4 announcement for me thus far.
I'm happy for you, Kero. Now all you have to do is dominate Louisville with him.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
After reattaching my mouth from the floor, I decided that it was time to buy a train ticket... A first class one way ticket aboard the Greninja HYPE TRAIN!!!! Yeah... I'm extremely happy with this reveal.

kylexv

Smash Master
I had mixed reactions. Thought it was Mewtwo first like many. Dissapointed that Mewtwo may not get in, but I was still glad Greninja got in. Some random day, I thought "Wow. Greninja would be really cool in smash". He was my starter in X and his shiny is awesome. Sakurai, please have shiny Greninja as a recolor!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
When I saw the Shuriken I thought it was Takamaru, then I realized it was Greninja. I don't mind him being added, but I did not expect him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is mine

MEWTWO..........ooh wait that's not mewtwo its greninja oh well cool pokemon anyway

Ps reminder that its extremly likely greninja replaces squirtle and mewtwo replaces ivysaur

Cpt.

Smash Lord
"Mewtwo is back!!!!!!!!!!!! YES I CALLED IT!!!!! hahahahahah!!! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!1 ... wait a second? A water attack .... huh? OMFG ITS GRENIINJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!" - Cpt. 4/8/14

Afterwards I realized that this is a little upsetting, since both Charizard and Greninja getting in hurts Mewtwo's chances a lot.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
"Oh look, that body shape... Mewtwo, nice"
"No way, that move, FREAKIN GRENNJA OMG, sooooooooo cool, **** yes"

No kidding

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
It's Mewtwo not returning. Jiggs has been there since game 1 and highly doubt that's going to change.
Who's to say Mewtwo won't return or Jiggs won't get cut?

Greninja's inclusion won't be affecting either of those two's chances. This whole "franchise must have X number of slots only- no more, no less" mentality needs to die.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I, like many others, thought he was Mewtwo until I identified that his energy was indeed water based. Then I got tricked again when they showed him from a distance hanging. His tongue looked a bit like Mewtwo's tail for a split second. When I seen it was him though, I was pretty pleased, and just hoped that there wasn't going to be a third Pokemon to make up another Trainer (sorry for PT fans) with more gimmicks that keep me away from using it again. I'm sure that all the flash similarities to Mewtwo were all intentional as well, and that Mewtwo is on the way at some point.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The same as everyone else; I thought it was Mewtwo at first, but something about the hands made me second guess. I kept wondering throughout the trailer, until the shadowy figure flipped upright. It was then that I knew. With Greninja being among my top ten favorite Pokemon, needless to say I was yelling with joy.

After my hyper mode diminished though, I then asked, "where's Mewtwo?
"

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Honestly I was expecting Palutena when I saw things flying from the air, then all of a sudden I changed my mind to Mewtwo when I saw that they were Pokeballs. And I thought it was him after they showed Charizard all solo, but then once the water blast came I was like "Mewtwo doesn't use water moves does he?" And then, boom, it happened...VERY SURPRISING!!! From the hype of four veterans joining us back yesterday I was really happy! Especially cuz Froakie was my favorite in X/Y. At this point, I feel like all the reveals for newcomers we think are "obvious", aren't going to be shown at this point. It's been nothing BUT surprises so far :)

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
As someone who quitted playing pokemon games after the GBA versions: wtf is this character? Some weird retro game representant?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It was great. I never really expected Mewtwo at any point. I just kept asking myself, who is that? When Greninja was revealed, my hype could not be contained. Pokemon X and Y is a great game, and Greninja is a great choice as a representative in smash.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I am definitely excited to play as Greninja! Since he was my starter for X, I really want to see how he will stack up in this game.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Just leaving this here for those people who are 100% sure that Jiggs won't be making it for the next smash game.

I'll be sure to come back and feed of your butthurtedness once she comes back.

Have a nice day.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'm glad he made it in the game, but it disappointed me how he stole Charizard's spotlight.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Although I also wanted to see Mewtwo return I can't stop smiling at the thought off people thinking it was him in the trailer at first charging up a Shadow Ball instead of Greninja charging up the Water Shuriken. Every time I replay it I laugh a little for myself cause it just seems so silly :chuckle:

Greninja looks awesome and very unique nevertheless and his trailer was very cool! My initial thoughts after re-watching it a few times was that he seemed to be quite a versatile character that favors mobility and speed which is just the type of character I would enjoy playing as. He is easily going to be one of the first that I'm going to try out anyways.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Although I also wanted to see Mewtwo return I can't stop smiling at the thought off people thinking it was him in the trailer at first charging up a Shadow Ball instead of Greninja charging up the Water Shuriken. Every time I replay it I laugh a little for myself cause it just seems so silly :chuckle:
Yeah, I was one of those people who thought it was Mewtwo. When I look back at the trailer, I wonder why I thought it was a Mewtwo. It seems so obvious now that move isn't shadow ball. I guess I thought it was because I really wanted him back in the game.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
This reaction is gold. Probably what many were feeling.

They trolled me with the three fingers, man!
SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
This reaction is gold. Probably what many were feeling.

They trolled me with the three fingers, man!
SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!
Lmao, that is freaking hilarious! I always get pumped up when I see these types of videos of people get overly hype during character reveals and trailers.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
"OH MY GOD ITS MEWTWO" for a second

and then i literally as i saw greninja was so hyped that i pressed backspace on my mouth and a friend of mine's laptop bsod'd during the call

i proceeded to scream "DAY NEGATIVE 12 BUY" in hope of buying it earlier somehow. I was so happy still because one of my favorite pokemon and probably the only realistic of my favorites confirmed. It was the character I didn't know I wanted until I got it.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
First Viewing: "Wha? Who the heck is that? What's a Greninja?"
Second Viewing: "Oh, this must be one of the new X & Y Pokemon. Eh, looks pretty cool."
Third Viewing: "This is a freaking ninja frog! How did I not realize that earlier?"
Fourth Viewing: "I am going to play the hell out of this guy!"

Megaman is still the newcomer I am most hyped about, but I think Geninja just beat out Wii Fit Trainer for second.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
My thoughts in the order they came up:
Oh it's Paletuna. Peachy.
Pokemon? What?
Oh, Charizard. So where Squirtle and Ivysaur?
What who what Mewtwo? No wait, an Ice type?
Wait what I don't remember Mewtwo using that.
What Takamaru?
Oh Greninja! What?!

And what happened after was a bunch of indiscernible sounds of joy.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
"Who's that? Oh Greninja? He's alright I suppose."

I had no strong feelings. He felt a bit arbitrary but GF probably wanted an X and Y Pokémon in.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I thought it was mewtwo at first but right as i saw the ninja star forming I knew immediately that it was Greninja. I was very happy because Greninja is one of my favorite pokemon of all time.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
For the trailer in general:
"Ah Pokemon Trailer, I'll probably like what they reveal. Looking forward to the newcomer"
"Charizard going solo? ****ing awesome!
"Who's this shadowy figure hanging upsidedown in a cave? Smash, stop making everyone all shadowy and lurky before they are revealed"
"He's charging up a ball? Is this Mewtwo? This makes no sense, Why would he be floating upside. Wait, he kinda looks a little weird too, it has to be someone else" I also didn't see the ninja hand movements cause of livestream derping.
"GRENINJA!??!?! What!??!? Why?"
"Holy crap his moves are so fast and fluid I love him, he could possibly be one of my new mains"

Then after thinking about it for a while after it I understood why he was chosen. I thought one of the starters had a pretty good chance, but of course I was expecting other characters that are more "deserving".
No bullhurt or whatever over Mewtwo at all, even if I thought he was Mewtwo for literally a half second. (Insert long story about Mewtwo being Favorite pokemon as a child, then overtime became to be a character that was just neither good or bad when older.) I think I have to re-watch the first Pokemon movie to like Mewtwo a lot again or something. (not the Femtwo movies). I still think Mewtwo deserves to be in though. Jiggles I dislike, her being a smash classic is the only thing going for her at this point. She's like that one family member that you don't want to come, but you have to because she's always there for you.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
As long as Jigglypuff's spot in the roster isn't compromised I welcome any Pokemon. Greninja seems cooler than Squirtle so whatever. He's the only newcomer thus far I'm not psyched to try out though.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I always felt that if Gen 6 got a rep it would be Greninja. Especially if the Pokemon Trainer wasn't coming back and/or Charizard was separate. Otherwise Greninja could have been with a Kalos Trainer which wouldn't have been as good. Kind of happy they aren't doing that anymore though even though that means that Squirtle and Ivysaur are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom