• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Why is everyone acting like Squirtle and Ivysaur are deconfirmed?
I guess the fact that you can't get Pokemon Trainer due to no transformations anymore. Maybe he is still in and you can choose between the three, but you are only allowed to choose the character you chose the whole match. Just an idea, but an unlikely one

DM1

Banned via Warnings
It's hard to say I really anticipated Greninja, but I previously wanted a Kalos Pokemon Trainer as a newcomer with one of the pokemon being Greninja, so I was pretty happy about him joining the cast. His moves aren't very unique either (unlike a lot of the newcomers so far) but they're super awesome to say the least.

I'd say the biggest surprise was Charizard showing up at the beginning alone. I like the idea now (especially because mega evolutions) but for the short period of time it was really confusing. Like, "This is the newcomer? But why is- WHOA Greninja!"

Last edited:

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
To be honest, I didn't have Mewtwo in mind when I saw the shadowy figure. The first time I saw it, my reaction was me wondering, who was that at first. That is when I had to wait till the 2nd time they showed the figure. When I saw the Shuriken, I thought "Is that Greninja?" When shadowy figure revealed to be Greninja, I was surprised that I got the guess right.

Now my thoughts on the character:

I think that Greninja is a nice addition. He has great speed, mobility, and potential attacks. You know, I think he deserves to be there. Long story short, I am excited for this character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Completely surprised me, but I like his addition a lot. He was my starter in Pokémon Y and his moveset looks amazing. That Substitute, them shurikens and that Final Smash.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Knew it was a water type as soon as I saw it. Most people going into that trailer wanted Mewtwo so much that a clearly displayed water type move looked like Mewtwo to them.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
As someone who hasn't played Pokemon since the Gameboy Color days I was surprised when I saw him. I was like whoa who is this cool looking Pokemon? And then when the trailer ended I looked him online, saw he was in Pokemon Y and went and got it the next day. Chose Froakie as my starter and currently have a level 28 Frogadier lol. I'm really excited to try him out. His design screams all kind of awesome. He's going to be a main along with Mario and Mega Man for me.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
I was pretty happy with the announcement. He's one of my favorite pokemon from XY. I'm not sure why everyone thought it was Mewtwo though. I mean. He does the whole "ninja hand signals" thing and then starts making a water shuriken. IMO it was pretty clear who it was as soon as he appeared.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I was pretty happy with the announcement. He's one of my favorite pokemon from XY. I'm not sure why everyone thought it was Mewtwo though. I mean. He does the whole "ninja hand signals" thing and then starts making a water shuriken. IMO it was pretty clear who it was as soon as he appeared.
Livestream quality isn't exactly the best. For me it skipped past the ninja hand signals and went straight to the "energy ball".
1. They body have a rather similar body style (Tall, big head, thin in the middle, big again on bottom).
2. Lucario was already revealed, so the only other pokemon that everyone has seen before that has some "energy ball" like attack is Mewtwo. Not everyone is familiar with Gen 6 as well.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
First, the slashing flames cut through the black screen. The hairs on my neck and arms rose as I realized, "They're about to reveal one more character!"
Then, hype started to build as I saw all the Pokeballs fly onto the screen.
Charizard appeared and I thought, "Alright, glad to see he's back. And I'm glad he's not his own character now."
Admired the glorious visuals that are the trailer, then saw Greninja's silhouetted form. Like others, I thought that it was Mewtwo. Hype started building, until I realized the "shadow ball" was actually a water shuriken.
I realized, milliseconds before he appeared, it was, indeed, Greninja.
One single, silent tear trickled down my chiseled manly features as I watched the rest of the reveal.
In a nutshell, this:
Chris-Schauble-Shocked-Reaction-to-LA-Earthquake GIF.gif

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Who?
What?
Wait is that Mewtwo?
Wait that's water?
Who is it?
OMG GRENINJA!!!!!!
*Screams at laptop*
*Screams at Moveset*
OMG SUBSTITUTE!!!!!!!!!
YUUUUUUUUUS!!!!!!!!!!

Also the part with him and lucario on final destination taunting combined with the awesome music made me squeal like a little girl

Last edited:

Greninja

Smash Cadet
I saw the aura sphere growing and immediatly thought Sakurai is releasing Greninja, I was extremely excited to see my favorite Pokemon released. So shocked that I decided I was going to play competitively just because he was released.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
When I saw the first tease of Greninja I thought it was Mewtwo, but I was confused as to why he would have blue energy.
The second tease I failed to notice that it was shuriken forming and just had no idea who it could be. So the payoff was nice when they showed his full shadow.

I was focusing on the ball-like fingertips in the first tease, a trait Greninja shares with Mewtwo. I missed the hand signal completely.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Baffled, hyped and incredulous all at once.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It was something like:

uhhhhhhhhh OH WOW neat!

I didn't really expect Greninja but I had one as my starter Pokemon in Y so I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
The Smash Cast discusses and analyses the newest character revealed for Smash, Greninja.

BitingBaker

Smash Rookie
Mad.

I won't lie. I'm angry but I won't hold that against Gredinja.

I may even main him later...
Stop with the pokemon ffs. I want new characters that aren't pokemon or stupid and pointless (diddy kong). Krystal, another Metroid character (Ridley WILL NEVER be a playable character so stop with that) , I don't know... Knuckles? At least something we've never had. Charizard was a huge smack in the face for me. He is a random pokemon with nothing special about him. I'm honestly surprised people are ecstatic about him. What's the appeal of playing a character with no personality and no main or important role?

C3CC

Smash Lord
I'm still mad, but I will stop paying attention to it when Mewtwo gets revealed. If Mewtwo doesn't get make it in, I'll feel like Greninja stole his spot and for that I will hate him forever.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
My surprise when something like this, albeit not necessarily verbatim:

*Charizard is shown off*: "That's it? C'mon, that can't be it!"
*Cuts to Greninja clip*: "It's Mewtwooooo! Mewtwooooooo!"
*Greninja revealed*: "Whaaaat!? Whoa, it's Greninja."

Last edited:

Greninja

Smash Cadet
I was also sooo happy Sakurai made Greninja look like Mewtwo to trick Mewtwo fans

Last edited:

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
My mind actually went blank, I didn't even think it was Mewtwo. When I saw Greninja, I was doing my silent in-my-head cheer.

Can't wait to play as him!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Frankly, I still don't buy into the notion that Greninja hurts Mewtwo's chances... at all. The notion that 6 pokemon slots is too much? Please, we had 6 pokemon characters last time. The fact that they take up 6 individual slots should NOT be a big deal.

Now onto the actual reactions... Before greninja actually had the "Greninja Makes a Splash" I didn't really think Mewtwo at all. It's hard to explain my thought process because I have no god damn idea but I had no trouble figuring out it was supposed to be greninja. I just didn't really feel the WEIGHT of the fact that it was greninja at all until he was actually revealed into the light. After that... I was just like, "Looks cool." For some reason greninja just didn't catch me off guard at all. When Sakurai mentioned cutting the transformations I had the thought in the back of my head saying: What about Pokemon Trainer? And this answer only seemed natural... but I sort of wish we could have grass starter representation as well... but whatever.

So yeah, basically all I had to say about it on the first viewing was, "... cool."

Still, I definitely feel like Jigglypuff+Mewtwo both making it in is VERY possible at this point so whatever. As a pokémon fan, greninja is EASILY my favorite of the 4 currently revealed (Actually, I don't really like Pikachu, Lucario, or Charizard at all really.) And as a playable character, he's also the poke vet I'm most likely to consistently play as. So far, all the newcomers seem unique and bring innovative ideas for a moveset but greninja seems comfortable bringing his own unique spin on pre-existing ideas (I kind of hope substitute is more than just a standard counter, probably will be though.) But I can't really say I dislike him for it, he makes himself stand out a lot in spite of that. Still, the puff and mewtwo have a good chance of eclipsing greninja for me in the long run...

SVGK

Smash Rookie
Frankly, I still don't buy into the notion that Greninja hurts Mewtwo's chances... at all.
What is so cool about Mewtwo?, I've seen so many countless people obsessing over him, and looking at melee footage he isn't even impressive, looks kinda stupid actually with his awkwardly shaped tail and pink color.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, Mewtwo was poorly designed in Melee, but that has no bearing on why people think he should be a member of the Smash roster. He is the original "God" among Pokemon, was the main villain of the first Pokemon anime movie, and is one of only two Pokemon to receive two Mega evolutions in the most recent generation.

Anyway, I was actually a bit surprised when Greninja was revealed as a playable character (I thought he would be an assist trophy), but I was also extremely excited. He has a cool, unique design, awesome moves, and an ever-increasing fanbase. It really was a great decision to include him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
My reaction: OMG IT'S MEWTWO! But wait...the energy he's charging is blue...but WHAT ELSE COULD IT POSSIBLY BE!? IT MUST BE MEWTWO!

I wasn't disappointed though, I got something better than Mewtwo. c:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
It's Mewtwo.
Is that blue? His fingers look really long too...
Something's off...
*awesome mario/Charizard clash*
Mewtwo is upside down? Looks kinda tall.
WOAH. GRENINJA.

I wasn't expecting a sixth gen rep, but Greninja would be the one from sixth gen. None of the other new pokemon would have much hype behind them.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Wait, are they doing this? They are! They're adding Mewtwo! WOOOOOOOOOO

wait

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I didn't even make out the spherical fingers the first time though, I was kept up in the intensity of the situation and focusing on the water shuriken he was charging up.

Didn't think it was Mewtwo, was just saying "WHooOOOOOooo is it!!? who who who who"

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I don't know much about Pokemon, so I don't know a lot, but a lot of people thought this too; I thought it was Mewtwo. I was watching the direct with my friend who know who it was right away. He was shocked. He thought he'd fit, but he was surprised Greninja got in. I was getting super-hyped for Mewtwo, but this guys it good anyway. TBH, I was disappointed bc it's not somebody that I knew.

He grew on me as I looked at his moves more. He looks fun to play as, and he looks as if to be top tier.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think I noticed earlier than most there was a shuriken. however, I thought it was Takamaru for a whole 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom