• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Reaction to the Umbra Witch's Reveal?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'm not mad about any particular character not being included in her place, I just don't think she really fits with the rest of the roster. Or looks like fun to play against. Or is a character I would like in general.
That's how I feel about :snake:, yet people loved the fact that he was in Smash.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
LMAO screaming at the tantrums people are having over her.

Children keep mentioning these obscure 350 year old characters that haven't had new games since the Atari came out as if they deserve it over the FRESHEST character design, nay, the most stylish gaming ICON in the history of the medium. If you're gonna mindlessly bash on THE BEARER OF THE LEFT EYE yall can staaaaaay krusty Krool and Kazooble fans. Toodles~

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Children keep mentioning these obscure 350 year old characters that haven't had new games since the Atari came out as if they deserve it over the FRESHEST character design, nay, the most stylish gaming ICON in the history of the medium. If you're gonna mindlessly bash on THE BEARER OF THE LEFT EYE yall can staaaaaay krusty Krool and Kazooble fans. Toodles~

Stoking the flames, I see.

Don't get burned.:troll:

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
In all honesty, I didn't like Snake in Brawl either. But he still fit better in that game than Bayonetta in this game.

First of all, Brawl was actually rated T and not E. Another thing is, Snake doesn't do a real choke hold. If anything, he's more holding his foe's head back by the chin; and not back nearly far enough to snap their necks. There WAS actually an unused, realistic choke hold animation planned, but it got dropped. Guess why.

Besides, just the characters themselves, from their respective games, are not at all the same. Snake is a soldier. He fights in wars, but only in wars, and he'd rather avoid conflict anyway and usually prefers stealth and sabotage. Bayonetta is...a witch whose clothes disappear. When she uses black magic. To summon demons.

Yeah, I know, blah blah blah, alternate universe with fictional pseudoreligion. I know, yack yack yack, they censored the nudity. But...come on. Seriously. Which one of those people would you imagine being more likely to hang out with Mario and Link?

Either way, though, that's STILL not the main reason I'm not happy for her announcement. The main reason is that she looks completely frustrating and unfun to fight against.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Seriously. Which one of those people would you imagine being more likely to hang out with Mario and Link?
The whole point of Smash is that it's supposed to be an unlikely meeting.

She's perfect because of how odd it is.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Which one of those people would you imagine being more likely to hang out with Mario and Link?
If anything, :4bayonetta: would most likely be spotted in the vicinity of :4pit: because he's, you know, an angel. But who hasn't he met that didn't try to kill him?:troll:

As for :snake:, at the very least he'd be spying on them.

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
I don't know. It's just...a bit TOO odd.

Crossovers have a certain believability threshold which, when crossed, look kind of dumb. Not really funny-dumb or cool-dumb, just...dumb. The main issue is when two universes or sets of characters not only contain different "styles" of things, but operate under entirely different kinds of logic and design philosophy.

Smash Bros is sort of comparable to the idea of Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter all crossing over. They're all different, all have somewhat different themes, and all take place in different time periods. A medeival fantasy setting, a magical fairytale world parallel to World War II-era earth, and a modern-day England but with wizard...college...people. And yet they all have a sort of central emphasis and feel in common, and most people who like one of those universes will probably at least somewhat like the other two.

Adding Bayonetta to the formula is sort of like putting in one of those super-dark, super-edgy teen fiction novels with horny vampires and blood rituals with our Harry Chronicles of the Rings. It's like...yeah, they're technically fantasy books, and they, like...exist...but it's just not the same.

...also I should once again point out that she looks like a total pain in the bum to fight. Is anybody else going to address THAT kind of important part of the problem?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
...also I should once again point out that she looks like a total pain in the bum to fight. Is anybody else going to address THAT kind of important part of the problem?
So did Little Mac when he was first shown off/when we first got our hands on him. Yes, her combo mechanic might be a bit hard to work around on the opponent's end, but that'll only happen when facing an experienced Bayonetta. A random Joe Schmoe who picks Bayonetta just for the sex appeal/"oh this character looks broken lemme play her" will be easy to beat.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Crossovers have a certain believability threshold which, when crossed, look kind of dumb.
Smash is already a wide WIDE threshold though. Consider G&W, Duck Hunt, Snake as you mentioned. IMO Bayo is a very natural representation of the maturity of gaming nowadays. Smash is supposed to be wacky and even things like say, a playable Tetris block, or an FZERO car would fit in.

It's hard to think of an outright odd inclusion. Maybe a character that cannot be represented without blood or gore. That might be a line. And of course garbage ideas like Goku, etc.

SoopaDerpcat said:
Fair enough I am PRAYING shes broken as all get out.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I was pretty happy that Bayonetta got in. I don't know anything about her, but my friend really wanted her in.

Crossovers have a certain believability threshold which, when crossed, look kind of dumb. Not really funny-dumb or cool-dumb, just...dumb. The main issue is when two universes or sets of characters not only contain different "styles" of things, but operate under entirely different kinds of logic and design philosophy.
I mean bruh, not really. Yoda and Darth Vader were in Soul Calibur IV, and ******** Megaman and Playstation's Toro among others in Street Fighter v. Tekken, and Jason Vorhees and Alien in Mortal Kombat

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I will never forget that moment...

I'm at my friend's house, with my friend's roommates as well as my older brother. When I heard Palutena say her warning, the camera quickly zooming in, then panning up to the moon... Then, I heard that voice, look to my right, seeing my friend's stunned face, the next thing I know everyone in the room is shouting with surprised glee. But my friend, sitting right next to me, was especially happy. What an awesome moment of my life...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't really have a reaction when she was revealed, I just stood there and said something like "Well, okay then. That's cool." I would've been more surprised if I had finished her game's first, but nonetheless, I'm still excited to see her.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
I was kinda stunned as I didn't think she would be able to make it(rip Sora), but watching her gameplay made my jaw drop........0 to death time combos ftw.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I was confused because as much as I love Kid Icarus, a newcomer from it didn't make any sense. When she started speaking, I recognized her voice right away despite not having played her game. I was sitting next to my brother and immediately said, "Bayonetta?" and he wondered who I was talking about. Then she appeared and it clicked for him too. I was pretty happy during her whole trailer- she made a ton of sense and looked fun to play as. Other than Isaac (R.I.P.), none of the top ballot choices had excited me, so all I cared about was how fun the character looked. I had been unenthused about K. Rool since I don't typically like heavyweights, so I was glad to see that Bayonetta looked like she'd be a blast to play as.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
I should also mention my reaction.
When I saw Pit and Palutena, I was like NO
Then when I heard Bayonetta, I was "Oh , someone that's actually cool" (despite not having played a Bayonetta game).

In short, I don't mind her at all. In fact, I welcome her.

DC

Smash Cadet
My reaction: dusting off this 14 year old Smashboards account and getting ready to go ham with this character in Feb

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
My initial reaction when watching the trailer was
"Oh, we're getting another Kid Icarus character?"
Then I heard Bayonetta voice, she appeared on screen, and I went "Wow..."
You can't deny she's an odd inclusion, but I don't see that as a bad thing. I look forward to her.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
My reaction was "A freaking Kid Icarus character is the final one? What a letdown..."

Then I heard the voice, and yelled "NO F***KING WAY at the top of my lungs followed by "YES YES YES YES YES YES"

Bayonetta was by far one of my most wanted, and pretty much the only character that doesn't have a feature I love that I really really wanted.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was a bit disappointed the last characters wasn't the Inklings, but Bayonetta isn't that bad of an addition. I mean, she is unique and her game is great, so... yay?

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

i missed you diva

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
People are so salty.

I was so excited when she was announced, purely because I thought she didn't have a chance that she'd get in. It's amazing that she is, can't wait for February to come.

Oh, and to the people calling her broken and OP? Why don't you just wait for her to come out first before making such brash judgements, the trailers are made purposefully to make the characters look good. We won't know if she's top tier or not until she's released (hopefully, she is).

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
was hoping for k. rool... but bayonetta looks like she will be the new meta knight... broken af.
but i dont care! she looks sooo fun!

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I gotta say, I was never more hyped in my life than when I saw Bayonetta's reveal. I jumped up and down, shouting at the top of my lungs, alternating between OMG and YES. I have wanted her in Smash even before the game itself came out, and now to see it unfolding before my very eyes... truly the "climax" and fitting end to Smash content to come soon, for me personally at least. :D

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
"Oh jeez, they're adding freaking Hades or MedusaWHAAAHAHAHAHUH"

My most wanted character was Ridley, followed by Wonder-Red. And you know what?

Bayo looks freaking sweet, to the point that she looks like a potential main. I'm a little salty, but it's less like a soda cracker and more like something where you have to look at the nutrition facts to know there's salt. (That was a horribly tortured metaphor.) Point is, Bayo looks so damn cool I can't stay mad.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Like many others, the beginning of the trailer left me thinking of Hades or Medusa,

then I heard the voice and honestly I didn't know what to think of it. I did not even THINK of Bayonetta at that point.

Then she revealed herself and I got absolutely stunned. Did not expect that one, for sure.
However, the more I looked at her moves, the more I realized "oh boy, looks like I'm gonna main yet another DLC fighter"

So yeah, pretty hyped for her

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Was quite surprised by the whole thing, was thinking of buying her game later, guess im picking it up sooner she also looks extremely fun to play

Jamaka

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jamaka21
3DS FC
2595-1397-7468
I was a school finishing up a final exam when it started. So 20 minutes into th presentation I finished m exam. I didn't turn my phone on and I wen straight to the student corner to watch it without any distractions. When they announced corrin I laughed since it was another sword character and was from Fire Emblem. Then came Geno, I laughed harder. They announced the one character that my friends had been saying wouldn't be put in and the bae that I voted for and I squealed like a little girl.

TY BASED SAKURI

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I was watching the Direct, and the final character reveal trailer started with Pit, and I heard Palutena's voice and then another female's voice, and immediately I thought, "Wow, Medusa's in!" But then here comes Bayonetta, and my mouth just dropped in stunned, yet joyous disbelief. I couldn't believe, and really, still can't, that Bayonetta is coming to Smash Bros. While I was disappointed that Wolf didn't make the cut, I was extremely thrilled that Bayonetta was revealed. She was one of my most wanted characters, but didn't believe she had any chance whatsoever of making it in. Watching her moves has just gotten me super excited to play has her, especially since I've never played any of her games (can't afford a WII U.) And I must say, if this is how the Smash Bros series comes to an end, what a way to go out. I absolutely have to salute and thank Sakarai-san and his team for all the effort they went through to get this edition of Smash as great as it has. Bayonetta and Corrin are going to be awesome to play as.

Top Bottom