• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your overall thoughts about SSB4's Main Theme so far

210stuna

Smash Lord
You kiddies remember the Final Destination music back on the 64?

My personal favorite before all the HD graphics, and all that good stuff.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who preferred melee's theme here? The Brawl one got very annoyed cause it was used in the menu, final destination, stage builder and boss battle. Bit annoying ya know. But i'd say 64 is the least memorable. Maybe cause I haven't played it much, you see you only like themes when you play the games that feature them a lot. I think that's what is going to happen to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The World Warrior

Smash Apprentice
It sounds pretty good. Better than Brawl's. For me anyway.

Am I the only one who preferred melee's theme here? The Brawl one got very annoyed cause it was used in the menu, final destination, stage builder and boss battle. Bit annoying ya know. But i'd say 64 is the least memorable. Maybe cause I haven't played it much, you see you only like themes when you play the games that feature them a lot. I think that's what is going to happen to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Also I agree with you man. Melee's theme played in the intro and in Final Destination sometimes but that was it really. Maybe the credits too I can't remember. Brawl's theme was everywhere though and it was much too serious sounding for my taste. I'd even go as far as saying it was a little bit pretentious. Smash 64's theme was awesome though.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

If you use the words "prefer" and "Melee" in that order, then no, you are not the only one.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

God dammit, that's four songs I need to learn how to play now! I just started watching Evangelion and decided Cruel Angel's Thesis would be good to learn on top of already trying to learn Don't Speak Her Name from Fire Emblem Awakening and Guren No Yumiya from Shingeki No Kyojin (And this song in particular is the biggest ***** to play on the piano).

......... so thanks a lot. :c

LinkFromAFuture

Smash Rookie
I really like it. But you can't hear its full potential from the trailer because the game's sounds are so loud in it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If I get to hear the full version of it I think it has the potential to be the best theme yet. While I love Melee's theme, and I especially love Brawl's theme as long as it isn't the trailer version, this one just seems to scream "Nintendo" more than any of the others. Excited to hear the full version, because what I can hear thus far is great.

Kekezo

Smash Cadet
I think it sounds really nice, but I feel it's missing something. I hope it sounds a little different at launch.
How can we be sure this is the song though?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
This is great but I really wanted them to go back to the 64 style of things. I feel like from Melee on they forgot that Smash looked very distinct.

You just saw the most amped up intro of all time and then you pressed start
It all.... stops.
It was a bit unnerving in the main menu
then you got into the character select them and it felt like stuff was getting heavy
Then it started and it SEEMED like a place from a game but things felt just a bit skewed so you never TOTALLY felt at home
Then it was back to the characters.

Don't even get me started on single player, and the unique themes and stages it had! Crazy unnerving yet cartoony stuff.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I can't stand how almost every phrase in the Brawl's theme ends on G sharp!

Au - di Fa - meeeeeeeem!!
C# - B A - GGGGGGGG#

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - liuuuuuus
F# G# A B - GGGGG#

So - lus in Hos - tes Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
F# - F# G# A.. - B.. GGGGGG#

Et Pat - ri - am Sev - a - viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
D# E - F# - E.. D# - C# - GGGGGGG#

now repeat that again 4 times. uuuuuuugggghh

Doesn't help that the theme is everywhere in the game. It's the intro theme, the main menu them, the stage builder / replay theme, a battlefield theme, a final destination theme, a boss theme.. come on! >.< </rant>

My favorite is the Melee theme, but SSB4's theme might be #2. I like it well so far.

Commando

Smash Rookie
The theme of SSB4 just isn't as memorable for me as Brawl. I definitely found Brawl's theme rather annoying after awhile.
I don't know if it's just me, but I think I might have heard something similar to SSB4's theme in another Nintendo game...

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Unfortunately, not every melody and harmony is carried in the Piano cover, just you guys wait. From what I heard, it was excellent.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's ok.

Brawl's main theme was literally on a whole different level. It's just...incredible. (All of Brawl's music was. There's no way SSB4 is going to beat Brawl in this category.)

I think it's unfair to say Brawl's main theme is "annoying" now because it was overused. Yes, it was, but doesn't change the fact that it's really, really good. Just think back to the first time you heard the theme and judge off that, at the very least.

But yeah, SSB4's theme is pretty balanced. Probably tied with Melee's (I really liked that soft, melodic voice when it transitions scenes in the Melee intro and Kirby hops on his Warp Star. Also the part right before that when the character voices are synced pretty accordingly to tunes.)

I can hardly remember 64's. It wasn't very memorable. (Except the victory theme which is also in SSB4's victory music. Which I think it's a great throwback.)

I'm a massive fan of the Smash Bros music, as you can see. It's actually my favorite element of Smash next to the characters and gameplay.

I like Smash 4's theme. I wonder if there's a bridge section we still haven't heard. In the Big Band arrangement, they shoved the Melee "How to Play" theme in edgewise where my ears were expecting a tear-jerking bridge section.

Anyway, it's a big improvement over Brawl's theme, which was a drag and far too serious. This is a fun Nintendo crossover game, nothing to get all "dead language" about. And the way it was remixed into nigh every piece of original music in Brawl means it was like ear poison with no antidote.

Melee's theme and Smash 64's 1P credit themes are full of heart and this new one is a worthy successor.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I like the Smash 4 theme best because dat drum.
Brawl got old quickly like everyone else mentioned already, though you gotta reckon it was memorable and epic the first time you heard it. You probably can still find all those lyric parodies on youtube.
Meele and 64 were good for their time. Nothing exceptional. No need to cling to the nostalgia.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I'm a fan it's certainly not as epic sounding as the Brawl theme but it's still fun. It represents the series well I think.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
As weird as it may seem since I love Brawl to death, I actually don't think it has the best theme out of all of them, I mean, don't get me wrong, the music's superb, but the others are surprisingly even better, the first time I heard the Smash4 theme at the start of the trailer, with all of the Nintendo franchises being showcased one after another, I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time, I don't know what it is, but there's something so...special about the Smash4 theme, when I hear it, I think of my childhood heroes all on the same place, duking it out!

It goes like this:
1.- Smash4 - Screams Nintendo heroes.
2.- Melee - Sounds competitive.
3.- Brawl - Sounds epic, fitting with SSE.
4.- Smash64 - Similar to Smash4's feeling, feels triumphant.

Again, don't me wrong, the Smash64 music at the end of the Direct gave me goosebumps like nothing else, I consider all of these songs to be almost on the same level.

EDIT: Does every thread on this forum somehow find a way to devolve into an anti-Brawl campaign?

Last edited:

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
It's Smash Bros. of coarse the music is great. Haha, I honestly enjoy all the music in 64, Melee, & Brawl.I really like how SSBU has a few 64 Remixes in it as well. I hope thats a hint that we'll be getting returning stages from all 3 previous games, and not just stages that appeared in brawl.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally liking this one the most.

The undertones of the song are very reminiscent of the 64 CSS theme, which is back as the result screen of this game.
And I'm loving that. :4pacman:

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
I don't want it to be redundantly remixed like brawl's theme.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I really like it, after hearing Brawl's alot, I think this is my favorite.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love this new theme, I say it is tied with Melee's. I liked Brawl's too, though.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hearing it in person/during the demo was admittedly hype reminiscent of Melee's theme.

Yet to be seen if it'll play everywhere/get old quick like Brawl's, however I don't foresee it ever being THAT badly received.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Eh, in mine opinion, the Smash 4 theme is not a bad song; just not a particularly memorable song (not saying that to troll; just being honest). I will definitely get used to it, though.

Personally, I think Melee had the most memorable opening and menu theme(s), followed by the theme of the first Super Smash Bros. I also really loved the character selection menu theme in the original Smash Bros for the 64; I am glad it is in the most recent game.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Hmm.

It's decent, but not on the same level of Brawls theme.
The theme to Brawl was just epic, in particular the final seconds of it.
But it's still decent.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
SSB Wii u's new theme is pretty damn good. Its menu version however is gdlk, dat rock guitar.

Brawl's theme I dislike. As Problem 2 said every phrase in it ends on G Sharp, making for an extremely uninteresting main melody. It sounded ok in Brawl's trailer but hearing it remixed a thousand times in the game made me want to yank my eardrums out.

Last edited:
This is great but I really wanted them to go back to the 64 style of things. I feel like from Melee on they forgot that Smash looked very distinct.

You just saw the most amped up intro of all time and then you pressed start
It all.... stops.
It was a bit unnerving in the main menu
then you got into the character select them and it felt like stuff was getting heavy
Then it started and it SEEMED like a place from a game but things felt just a bit skewed so you never TOTALLY felt at home
Then it was back to the characters.

Don't even get me started on single player, and the unique themes and stages it had! Crazy unnerving yet cartoony stuff.
I agree. Smash 64 music was the ****.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
So yeah the new theme is great, I quite liked the violin segments, and it has a nice conclusion feel to it at moments, making it a very appropriate tune to play at the end of the Invitational.

I liked the Brawl theme until it played like every two seconds in that game. Load the game. Brawl theme. Go to the menu. Brawl theme. Play a SSE level. Brawl theme. Get into a boss fight. Brawl theme. Beat the bloody game. Brawl theme. Play a minigame. Brawl theme. Go to bed. Brawl theme. Brush my teeth!? Brawl theme. Lay inmyy deaTH BED!?!?!!? Brawl theme.

However one that never got old, and in my opinion has yet to be matched is Melee's, I'm not good with music, so I can only describe it as well... right.

D

Deleted member

I like this theme. As long as it's not used everywhere like Brawl's, I think I'll like it okay. Brawl's theme was alright, but after hearing it over and over and over...

The Final Destination version is great though and how it synched with the background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I think the SSB4 theme we heard throughout the trailers has been updated quite a bit. With there having drums in the background now (or having a faster pace)

Yes Brawl's was epic at first, but it grew tiring.

But the FD version is too good :D

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
For smash 4's opening I had 2 wishes.

1.Please don't make another opera
2.Shout SUPER SMAAAAAAAAASH BROTHEEEERRRRSSSSS at the end

What I really like about Smash 4's opening is how the leading horns create an easy to point out melody, with the other 3 games all the noise just blends together. Thank god they didn't include any vocals in this one, brawls theme was bad, but the opera singers murdered it, I just can't appreciate any classical music. Melee's theme was similar to brawls, its just that the vocals only appear briefly in the beginning. The N64 theme sounded like background generic techno that would be used in a chase scene. But the ending where the announcer shouts the title saves it

I wish they'd stop trying to make overly epic music for a cartoony game like smash.
That being said, I don't think I'd mind hearing this theme remixed for the menu and final destination, its just catchy.

Top Bottom