• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinions on Patch 1.1.1?

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Personally i'm a bit let down by this patch. Most changes to characters are in the custom moves as i've heard, but it might not be true. No character announced, most likely because of the ballot so I can't really complain. Useless Mii outfits, a lot are cool though it's just you still can't use them in online which is the sad part. I don't know, I just feel like this patch had zero hype at all. Oh, some new stages were added which was my favorite part. Also no Jigglypuff buffs. I want to know what you fellow smashers think of the recent patch.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I feel pretty meh. on the patch, I don't use customs and having shields weaker really make some characters feel op. I really don't know what to say until I play more of the game.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I hate it.

All buffs are on customs moves...

They nerfed Kirby....... They nerfed Luigi......

YOU'RE GETTING NERFED SAKURAI

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
I'm pretty hype because pikachu might have gotten way safer if fair and dair become safe on sheild due to the sheildstun change.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Other than the Luigi nerf, which was completely and utterly pants-on-head ********, I'm indifferent on it. I love that they're balancing custom moves, but they haven't done enough for me to care about it. Kong Cyclone is still busted, Spinphony is still the worst move in the game, nothing's really changed. I like to think that this is just the appetizer for a real balance patch on October 3rd, or whenever the Smash Ballot characters are released.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Other than the Luigi nerf, which was completely and utterly pants-on-head ********, I'm indifferent on it. I love that they're balancing custom moves, but they haven't done enough for me to care about it. Kong Cyclone is still busted, Spinphony is still the worst move in the game, nothing's really changed. I like to think that this is just the appetizer for a real balance patch on October 3rd, or whenever the Smash Ballot characters are released.
Guess I never really thought of it as an "appetizer."

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Guess I never really thought of it as an "appetizer."
I don't think Sakurai could resist "balancing" at least a few characters on such a big update. More than likely, Ike's forward smash will reach halfway across Bridge of Eldin and Eruption will come out on frame .5.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The update at least gave me some DLC stages that I actually wanted to purchase.

Anyway, it's a relief knowing that Rosalina didn't get hurt too much for update 1.1.1.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Luigi deserved that Dthrow nerf though.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
It should not have been possible to link down b into it anyway. It was the same thing as diddy's bs setup.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
it's good and all, i wish they had a little bit more...i dunno, its just missing something
oh yeah KIRBY got NERFED :mad:

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sakurai could resist "balancing" at least a few characters on such a big update. More than likely, Ike's forward smash will reach halfway across Bridge of Eldin and Eruption will come out on frame .5.
it's good and all, i wish they had a little bit more...i dunno, its just missing something
oh yeah KIRBY got NERFED :mad:
I know, it's sad.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
No points for "custom moves but no custom equipment" option on tourneys? No points for "Battlefield only" option on tourneys? No points for "Platforms only" (presumably "no hazards") option on tourneys? No points for Highlight Reel? Come on, you people.

Personally, I'm going to really enjoy having 6 frames less endlag on Mega Man's Ice Slasher.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
No points for "custom moves but no custom equipment" option on tourneys? No points for "Battlefield only" option on tourneys? No points for "Platforms only" (presumably "no hazards") option on tourneys? No points for Highlight Reel? Come on, you people.

Personally, I'm going to really enjoy having 6 frames less endlag on Mega Man's Ice Slasher.
Highlight Reel is Krey bruh.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Customs patched (Awesome)
Shieldstun increased (Been asking for this for a year)
Customs patched
Customs patched
More stages to enjoy at all levels of play.

I like this patch. Though I do wish it had directly nerfed Sheik a tiny bit. Just to watch her mains cry.

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
The new two stages are obviously
PARTY/CASUAL oriented
gg nintendo

Anywho, the patch was meh. Customs were patched (which is great) and the costumes are odd. (fox and falcon???)

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I am happy yet also very sad for the Luigi D-Throw nerf. I am happy because I feel less scumbagish for using him, but now I can't pull off sweet 60% combos off of D-Throw.

Edit: Also Sakurai nerfing customs is pretty cool, I never thought that he would go and nerf customs

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi deserved that Dthrow nerf though.
Maybe so, but it was his only means of reliably KOing. Without anything to make up for it, there's just an empty hole where Luigi's KO power should be. It's things like this that make people complain that this game is too slow.
It should not have been possible to link down b into it anyway. It was the same thing as diddy's bs setup.
Diddy was bull**** because of a variety of reasons, not just the Hoo-Ha. Luigi's Hoo-Ha was escapable and it didn't kill as early as Diddy's. If it was really that bad, then they should've nerfed the Cyclone instead of the whole throw. Now instead of fishing for grabs, Luigi's gonna be spamming the C-Stick up every time he wants to kill someone, which is just as, if not more salt-inducing.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I honestly have mixed feelings towards it. I agree shield was too good of an option but I feel like characters who lack the mobility to weave and dodge are really going to have a rough time now. Ex. :4ganondorf::4bowser::4charizard:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Maybe so, but it was his only means of reliably KOing. Without anything to make up for it, there's just an empty hole where Luigi's KO power should be. It's things like this that make people complain that this game is too slow.

Diddy was bull**** because of a variety of reasons, not just the Hoo-Ha. Luigi's Hoo-Ha was escapable and it didn't kill as early as Diddy's. If it was really that bad, then they should've nerfed the Cyclone instead of the whole throw. Now instead of fishing for grabs, Luigi's gonna be spamming the C-Stick up every time he wants to kill someone, which is just as, if not more salt-inducing.
It's also the thing that makes people hate the game(grabs for everything).

People created the Dthrow combo and they can make a new one like the Diddy mains had to do.

There's dair, down taunt, side-b, and up-b. Still useful ko moves

Raijinken

Smash Master
I am happy yet also very sad for the Luigi D-Throw nerf. I am happy because I feel less scumbagish for using him, but now I can't pull off sweet 60% combos off of D-Throw.

Edit: Also Sakurai nerfing customs is pretty cool, I never thought that he would go and nerf customs
Not a single custom move got nerfed, though. Unless you count the bug fix on Lightweight.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's also the thing that makes people hate the game(grabs for everything).

People created the Dthrow combo and they can make a new one like the Diddy mains had to do.

There's dair, down taunt, side-b, and up-b. Still useful ko moves
Down air needs to be sweetspotted and landed offstage, FJP is extremely risky and should only be used if you know it's going to hit, and you're smoking if you think down taunt and Green Missile are "useful KO moves."

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Not a single custom move got nerfed, though. Unless you count the bug fix on Lightweight.
Kirby's hammer custom got nerfed in that you have to actually aim for the sweetspot now, but other than that, yeah. No nerfs. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that that hitbox flag on Wii Fit Trainer's Volatile Breathing was one that prevented the move from doing damage to items, so that could be seen as a nerf in casual play since you can now set off exploding capsules/exploding barrels/exploding crates/blast boxes/bob-ombs/bombchus/smart bombs/sticky bombs/soccer balls/cuccos with it.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Pretty disappointing patch imo, I'll continue my opinion after seeing the current additions throughout the day. No combo throws for Marth and the lack of a faster shield breaker hurts me, but more shield stun sounds nice.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Down air needs to be sweetspotted and landed offstage, FJP is extremely risky and should only be used if you know it's going to hit, and you're smoking if you think down taunt and Green Missile are "useful KO moves."
Sweetspot got a lot bigger on the dair, might be more valid now.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Sweetspot got a lot bigger on the dair, might be more valid now.
As nice as that was, that usefulness diminishes when it can't be reliably comboed into. It could possibly be hell for Falcons and Foxs and Pits and others who have linear recoveries.

D

Deleted member

Marth is perfect with the changes to shieldstun, which makes me happy. Aura Sphere being able to apply a lot of shield pressure or even break weaken shields is nice for my pocket Lucario, and there is potential for Greninja block strings. The only thing that bugs me is that I can't do OoS options like Usmash, Nair, Bair, Up B, etc. as of now since the timing is different.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
<- My reaction to a vast majority of changes in this patch
Pretty much the only good things to come out of this patch were new stages and the highlight reel feature.
also lol @ salty kirby mains moaning about how one of their custom moves got a minor nerf. Yeah, it's not like Kirby's gotten practically nothing but buffs since the game's release or anything :laugh:

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Yeah no this patch was kind of trashy. I used to be for customs but since it died it really isn't important, especially when one considers that the default movesets being balanced should make a perfectly fine game that doesn't rely on custom moves to fix it. Really the only good things were the Luigi nerf and the increased shield stun. The Samus buff was trash as usual, though probably the best in a while and there is still no nerf in sight for Sheik or more importantly Rosaluma who should be really easy to nerf, or even Sonic, since they gave him that auto-cancel dair and basically made him better before he even got nerfed. I was really hoping there'd be more thought put into it, and I'm hoping complaints begin to be noticed by Nintendo.

P.S. while as a Marth main i will admit the increased shield stun is a indirect buff, he is still complete trash and needs more buffs, including fixes to moves with missing active frames where the sword trail would otherwise suggest it has those frames.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's called disrespect, why else do you think his down taunt is a meteor smash in the first place?

Alot of people have used green missile as a ko move(even Boss has a very long time ago), and half of the dairs in the game have sweetspots.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Disappointed. Bowser jr didn't get no throw combos or kill throws. Still a crappy grab. Most importantly, no wolf.
Edit: also great job Sakurai for nerfing luigi's down throw but not touching sheik. Magnificent. Shiek needs more buffs kappa.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The fact that Customs are splittable from Equipment in Tournament Mode indicates to me that Sakurai has heard our cries, and will probably be looking into them more in the future. With any luck, the future will be soon.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
The fact that Customs are splittable from Equipment in Tournament Mode indicates to me that Sakurai has heard our cries, and will probably be looking into them more in the future. With any luck, the future will be soon.
That's the thing though, as much as anyone would like to see a return to custom moves, they aren't the issue we should be concentrating on first, which is why imo this patch is trash because it doesn't answer the glaring issues some characters have in their movesets. Were it after a well balanced default moves meta, then I wouldn't be so annoyed.

Raijinken

Smash Master
That's the thing though, as much as anyone would like to see a return to custom moves, they aren't the issue we should be concentrating on first, which is why imo this patch is trash because it doesn't answer the glaring issues some characters have in their movesets. Were it after a well balanced default moves meta, then I wouldn't be so annoyed.
Yea, I'm just more interested in the depth of choice offered by customs than by defaults. I'd rather we get the changes to customs before the defaults meta permanently cements itself into place. From my stance, it makes more sense to balance the normals around a character's full potential than just one of many possible setups.

But this isn't really the place to discuss that at large. I like the patch since it addressed something lacking in the meta I prefer. The shieldstun changes themselves will impact the relative strength of characters regardless which meta they're in, so ultimately my only disappointment is that we didn't get a new character this time around.

Top Bottom