• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your opinion on Dedede's possible speed?

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
Closer to Bowser's, DK's, or somewhere in the middle?
I'm training with Ganon (now) on Melee so I can be prepared for the slowest possible speed they'd give Dedede.
He's going to me one of my top two characters.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I'm thinkin a bit faster than Bowser and DK, but not much. Then again, Bowser was a bit faster that I give him credit, so maybe about Bowser's speed.

Hong

The Strongest
I think he will be faster than other heavyweights, yet cumbersome. The hammer no doubt will only deliver powerful blows if you sweetspot with the head, thus balancing his weight and recovery.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Maybe since he can go all balloon-like they'll make him have better than average horizontal air speed and, well, he can run pretty fast though that was with his one handed hammer stored wherever he strores it. Some of his moves'll probably have noticeable start-up time similar to Ike but pretty much kill everything if you get hit (with the sweetspot).

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
walking he'll skip like in the games running he'll just run slightly slower than kirby

Birdie

Smash Cadet
My opinion on his speed is generally the same as lunadis', faster than other heavy weights, but a constant need to sweetspot with the hammer.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think he will be slow. Very slow. But then again, I'm thinking of him as in the Kirby games where it takes him several seconds to plod from one side of the screen to the other before finally stopping and taking a swing with his mallet.

SiD

Smash Master
Really? I was not aware of this, which is funny since I mained Ganon up till recently. But still, his moves are faster than Bowsers, and I'd imagine Dedede would have slow moves.

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
I too think he will be very slow, but not the slowest; I also think that this will be offset by multiple aerial jumps and perhaps decent aerial mobility.

If a heavyweight were to have multiple jumps, that could really level the playing field in Brawl. On a related note, the confirmation of Rey DeDeDe made me seriously consider Ridley as a probable candidate.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
DeDeDe will be exactly like Kirby in my opinion except for the fact that he falls fast, has more weight, and is generally larger. Maybe a higher jump.

Off Topic: He better not have the incredibly slow dash attack from Kirby Super Star

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Think about him in a tactical way. How fast would he have to be to be unique as a heavyweight while not taking a piss at the fact that he's heavy to begin with? Being heavy, he'd only be able to move fast by throwing his entire momentum around, thus making him very clumsy as well. (Which is a definite possibility.) That means a poor acceleration from standing and a Luigi-esque lack of traction. And even so, I don't think he'd be able to move much faster than DK at the most.

Additionally, if he did move like that, it would set up a possibility for a moveset based on being an awkward, clumsy character, but one with great power if you're skilled/lucky enough to hit with his attacks correctly. The Jet-hammer attack seems to support this, as well as the random nature of his over-b and the lag after his super jump. Anyway, DDD has always been kind of clumsy in Kirby's games, but then again, so have a lot of Kirby characters. Besides MK.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
King Dedede is definitely not slow. He is just about Kirby's speed or possibly a little slower. I hope he is like my description, because this game doesn't seem to be going by game stats (IKE!).

shinzou

Smash Cadet
I think he'll be a bit faster than bowser... if we look at it more size wise, dedede is a bit smaller than bowser

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Well, I would guess pretty slow. Probably a lot like bowser if bowser didn't have his shell attacks.

Really, Sakurai could go wherever he wants with it, but assuming he follows the games at all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjcmmqzf4vI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NtMHGDs8A4

Dedede is absurdly slow in many of his boss battles. Right from his awkward, lumbering run to his hugely broadcast-in-advance hammer strikes that can leave him open for nearly 2 whole seconds if he misses.

But who knows. Dedede could be faster than Fox if Sakurai really felt like it.

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
If any of you have played Krystal Shards you'd know DeDeDe's possible speed. He's kinda in between, but mostly on the slow slide. Although, his floaty-ness should make it easy to jump while running.

KingDedede2

Smash Cadet
I too think he will be very slow, but not the slowest; I also think that this will be offset by multiple aerial jumps and perhaps decent aerial mobility.

If a heavyweight were to have multiple jumps, that could really level the playing field in Brawl. On a related note, the confirmation of Rey DeDeDe made me seriously consider Ridley as a probable candidate.
He will be very slow but i agree he will have aerial coolness so .... he will be more awsome

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Fairly fast I would say, not in running speed but responsive enough and good at starting attacks. But I would say he is also a lot weaker than you all think, I see him very slow, with very fast attacks, and very hard to send flying. Like a metal fox/falco.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I was just thinking this today. DK is pretty fast for his size, so I don't think DDD will b quite THAT fast. However, I do beleieve he will be faster than Bowser. So my guess is somewhere nicely in the middle between DK and Bowser.

DededeDaimyo

Smash Rookie
I actually don't think King Dedede will be too slow in Brawl. True, in recent Kirby games Dedede's speed has leaned toward the slower side, but the game designers probably wanted to tone down the difficulty for todays more casual (young) gamers. Plus, character sprites have gotten larger and more detailed nowadays and having a huge boss chasing Kirby across a small screen at a fast pace would be really hard and ackward. In the sub-game Gourmet Race in Kirby's Super Star, King Dedede could move just as quick, if not faster than kirby, though his attaks required a bit of lag. There are even a few instances where Dedede could easely surpass kirby because he was not as floaty as Kirby. So in SSBB, I'm expecting Dedede to have fairly decent movement speed, maybe around Kirby's speed or less but not as slow as DK.:)
Here's a link to give an example of Dedede's speed in Gourmet Race (also demonstrates how his floating ability is different from Kirby's for those of you still wondering...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurME9KYwk8

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
His Jet Hammer will most likley be fairly slow.

His Running/Walking will also be very slow... As he never runs in most games.

His floating will most likley be faster then running. XD

But some attacks I guess like Swallow will be failry fast.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I think he'll be about DK's speed just because this is Brawl. If you've played any Kirby games you'd know this penguin is real slow lol. Ike still holds the crown as slowest so far =D

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Dedede would most likely be one of the faster heavyweights, if, it wasn't for his hammer. Considering that we know that his Down-B move activates the mechanical portion of the barrel-shaped hammer, it would seem appropriate that the hammer would way a bloody ton. Though, being used to carrying such a large hammer, it would also seem appropriate that he wouldn't be as overwhelmed with the weight of it as say, Bowser, for example.

So, in my humble opinion, Dedede would be an average-speed for a heavyweight. Not as slow as Ike, but not as fast as Donkey Kong. Maybe slighty faster of slower than Bowser and Wario, if Wario is considered a heavyweight.

Top Bottom