• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your most hyped character

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
Being realistic, I don't expect her to be in the next game period.
I do realise that she'd get decloned slightly if she was in the next game... but then the issue would not be decloning her, it would be making her moveset faithful to Awakening, and that would require Smash 4 Ganondorf levels of decloning.
rip lucina
"Just another clone..." 2012-20XX

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
By far,:4mewtwo:. I was absolutely stoked to finally play him again after so long, especially after the gameplay trailer dropped. So stoked, in fact, that I actually pulled an all-nighter the night the Club Nintendo promo codes dropped so I could get him as soon as possible. I was tired, indeed, but hyped nonetheless! I honestly didn't even care that he wasn't the best character, I was just glad to have my original main back. Just watching that gameplay trailer again and reminiscing about the day:4mewtwo:dropped hypes me up just as much as they did back then... okay, maybe not quite as much. None of the other characters in Sm4sh come even remotely close to holding a candle to:4mewtwo:in terms of "hype" for me.

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
This is pretty lame but, of course, Bayonetta and Corrin. I'm a huge fan of FE so I absolutely love seeing Corrin being added and Bayonetta is so stylish!

When it comes to playing hype, I usually stick with Roy.

TheMateriaKeeper

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8362-9895-2791
In order;

1. :4megaman: First seeing the trailer for him made me so hyped he was joining Smash Bros. since a lot of people wanted him to join for a while. Being a longtime Mega Man fan, I'm really glad he made it in and I hope he stays =D

2. :4pacman:PAC-MAN! That is all.

3. :4mewtwo: I couldn't believe that Mewtwo was coming back, my all time favorite legendary Pokemon and Pokemon in general returning for the first time since Melee. At first I was worried that he wasn't going to be available because of the first dibs on getting both versions of the game, but I knew he had to be available to the public shortly after his announcement. I was at the Nintendo World Store when his gameplay trailer was shown and everyone including me was so hyped he was back. Then, another surprise...

4. :4lucas:As soon as the Mother 3 Love Theme started playing, I immediately knew it had to be Lucas. Once he appeared to save Ness from Bowser (as Ness did the same in Brawl for Lucas, saving him from the Porky Statue), I was really excited for him too. And honestly, out of all of the Mother games, Mother 3 is my favorite of the series, as much as I loved Earthbound. Good to have Lucas back!

5. :4feroy: Hearing the leaks about him returning due to the data found in the Mewtwo patch, at first I didn't believe it, but then when images started circulating around the net of him in the game right before his release, I was happy he was back as well. But then came the next character...

6.:4ryu:HADOUKEN! I couldn't believe Ryu was added into Smash, even though hearing how he was leaked beforehand, it still didn't spoil my hype for one of the greatest fighting game characters ever from one of my favorite fighters, Street Fighter. Being a huge SF fan, starting with SFII and Alpha 3, it was so refreshing to see a character like Ryu grace Smash with his classic moves, classic commands, his stage, and music. He plays very faithfully to his original game and I'm happy the master of the Hadouken is in Smash!

And finally, for my most hyped character...

VII. :4cloud:/:4cloud2: "Good to see you...CLOUD." Holy. Freaking. Crap. Cloud. CLOUD STRIFE FROM FINAL FANTASY VII IS IN SMASH BROS! As soon as I saw the trailer, beginning with the familiar starry sky accompanied with the opening theme from the game, I immediately started saying: "Wait...what is this? What's going on?" and as soon as the Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS logo appeared, I started freaking out, saying "No...no way!!" Then, once the letters "FINAL FANTASY VII" appeared, showed Cloud's shoes as he started walking slowly, panning down his Buster Sword with him saying "Never thought I'd see the day...", I couldn't stop screaming and freaking out. Then once the rest of the trailer began with "Let the Battles Begin!" and "Fight On!" playing as he fought Mario, Sonic, Ryu, and the other characters, I really couldn't believe what I was looking at, especially when it showed the Midgar stage, his summons, his Advent Children outfit, and his Omnislash on Ike. FFVII has been my favorite RPG for the longest time now, having so many fond and great memories of the game, with Cloud being my favorite RPG hero of all time and one of my favorite video game characters ever. It's still so amazing that he managed to get in and I always have a blast playing with him in Smash Bros, fighting with the likes of Mega Man, Pac-Man, Link, Mario, Ryu, Bayonetta, Sonic, Pikachu and everyone else. I really hope both him and Ryu become mainstays in Smash because of how unique, awesome and iconic they both are as gaming characters. Easily my most hyped character in Smash!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Absolutely most hyped character ever, nothing else can't ever compare: :diddy:

August 22 2007, it was a beautiful day, I just turned 17 less than a month ago at that time, and I was literally screaming like a little girl when I saw the Smash Dojo update of the day, with Diddy Kong being in as a newcomer. I woke up my siblings, but upon them seeing it was Diddy, they kinda accepted it. Been rocking this username since 2004 on this forum, and was an avid supporter for Diddy being a playable character in the Brawl speculation days.

Up till today, I wasn't hyped about anything game-related as much as this excitement.

Diddy Kong is a clear Number 1 here in my hype list. Nothing else could ever compare, not even if I'd have gotten both K.Rool and Isaac as DLC characters instead of Bayonetta and Corrin. Literally, nothing! Diddy is and will forever be my #1 main character in Smash Bros., and any other game he'll be playable in. He's basically the virtual avatar of my youth.

Hype Level: Over 9000 / 10

Characters that also got me really hyped, Top 2-5 :

:mewtwomelee:- Mewtwo in Melee was the biggest surprise for me ever, I always envisioned Mewtwo in Smash 64, ironically also because Samus had her Charge Shot and I envisioned Mewtwo with a similar attack. Look how that turned out! His moveset was a total dissapointment in the end however, so that's a bummer.

Mewtwo in Melee however made me overlook that Diddy wasn't there, pure because he had the element of surprise and I (at that given time) never saw him coming.

Hype Level: 9.5/10

:ike:- Path of Radiance was my favorite GameCube game (at least, drawn with Melee and Wind Waker), and the Tellius Saga is easily my favorite saga of Fire Emblem. Him being revealed as the first newcomer outside of Wario, Zero Suit Samus and MetaKnight in the trailer was awesome. And he was always a loyal secondary in my Brawl days, played him as much as DK, and that's a whole lot! The only thing that bothered me with his inclusion was him being a power character and rather slow, but the contrast between his and Marth's style was beautiful. I still don't like that Aether is so underwheling, and Eruption seemed so random, but Ike up till today is still one of my favorite Smash characters, and always a solid secondary. When he came back for Smash 4, I was also overjoyed cause I feared Chrom would replace him.

Hype Level: 9/10

:4mewtwo:- Does this count? Mewtwo as a DLC character felt like a newcomer addition to me. Sure, he should've been on the main roster, but Mewtwo as a DLC character was something that was new for Smash, and kept the speculation and hype alive for a longgg time. Mewtwo had fast improvements in his gameplay and moveset, but still felt underwhelming because of his featherweight status (which was an actual nerf, yay). Still, Mewtwo is a solid secondary for me still, and my favorite out of all the DLC characters. So he should be listed here.

Gave him an 8.5 earlier, but now changed it to 8 because Mewtwo's reveal was awesome, but what created the MOST hype was of coarse our dream to have our favorite newcomer being included next. If we take all this into consideration, and how much more hopeful we all became, I think we should all rank Mewtwo for Smash DLC as our Top 5, however I'll just refrain from that, and give Mewtwo by himself a solid, healty 8/10.

Hype Level: 8.0/10

:toonlink:- Yes most saw him as "another clone" in Brawl but I really enjoyed Toon Link's inclusion, and still do. His addition felt like a natural evolution on the roster, having Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl. Awesome character, from an awesome game, and I was a huge supporter of Toon Link getting in. I didn't mind him being a clone, because that made sence. And in the end, he's still pretty damn different from Link. A very pleasant surprise.

Hype Level: 7.5/10

:ganondorfmelee:- Yes I said Top 5 and am not cheating here, Ganondorf in Melee got the same reception from me as I gave Toon Link so it's a tie here. We all played Ocarina of Time didn't we? If not, you should. Ganondorf in Melee, like Mewtwo, felt unreal. I was genuinely surprised to have them in, mainly because of how powerful they where in their main game and how that would transit over to Smash. (lol) Another extremely pleasant surprise, and I rank him similar to Toon Link because they did the exact same thing: last minute, highly popular Zelda character request made into a (semi)clone. Awesome stuff, wish they did the same with Impa.

Top 5-10:

Coming soon;

:4feroy::4lucas::lucas::wario::wolf::bowsermelee::peachmelee::sheikmelee::4charizard:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
My most hyped characters were :4lucina:,:4bowserjr: and :4greninja:. I used to use them a lot in Smash 4, but I stopped using them. I stopped using Lucina because Roy took her spotlight, I stopped using :4bowserjr: because he didn't play the way I expected him to play, and I stopped using :4greninja: because I realized that I probably wasn't as good with him as I thought I was. :4greninja: was eventually replaced by Shulk as my main.

It's sad, because these three were all characters I really wanted to be in the game. Ironically, I'm using :4corrin:, :4cloud:, and :4feroy:, characters that I had absolutely no interest in before their reveals.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4lucas:

Because he literally came out of nowhere and he was one of my favorite characters from Brawl. I might have been more excited for :4ryu: if he wasn't leaked.

Green Stache X

Smash Rookie
NNID
LuigiMario793
3DS FC
4124-5762-8357
I was definitely hyped for :4ryu: and:4cloud2: because of how unexpected they were!

Also :4lucas:, because I mained him alongside :wolf: in brawl. But :wolf: sadly never made it back.

Last edited:

Mighty_ChaotiX

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chalybion
:4shulk: so hyped but didnt have much impact because of the leaks (still one of my most wanted)
:4robinf: Never expected this but i've been wanting a FE caster for a while! (I don't enjoy his/her gameplay that much though)
:4mewtwo:Finally his time to shine and to take Lucario's head! (low tier > :( .... 1.1.3 >:))
:4bayonetta:Completely lost my ****, i still don't believe it but at the same time i always thought this was one of the most plausible and and smartest addition (with nintendo basically buying the IP it only makes sense to promote her and her games if they want to to keep her around for years to come)
(Obviously voted for her in the ballot)

Biggest disapointement: :4ganondorf: lacking an original moveset.... after 3 games.... he's like the only character that his gameplay does not make any sense whatsoever...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

:4falcon: Of course! He had the most badass introduction as he was revealed alongside much of the FE cast. If we're strictly speaking new characters, :4corrinf: was pretty freakin' hype.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
:4megaman: I played a lot of Mega Man as a kid. So naturally I was thrilled he was in the game. I still watch his character trailer and I'm going to again after I type this message.
:4duckhunt:The most surprising inclusion. Again a game from my childhood. It's amazing they managed to include part of Hogan's Alley in his moveset.
:4ryu:For DLC hype. It just makes sense to have him in. Good job Sakurai.

Shout out to:snake:. That was so very incredibly hype.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Absolutely most hyped character ever, nothing else can't ever compare: :diddy:

August 22 2007, it was a beautiful day, I just turned 17 less than a month ago at that time, and I was literally screaming like a little girl when I saw the Smash Dojo update of the day, with Diddy Kong being in as a newcomer. I woke up my siblings, but upon them seeing it was Diddy, they kinda accepted it. Been rocking this username since 2004 on this forum, and was an avid supporter for Diddy being a playable character in the Brawl speculation days.

Up till today, I wasn't hyped about anything game-related as much as this excitement.

Diddy Kong is a clear Number 1 here in my hype list. Nothing else could ever compare, not even if I'd have gotten both K.Rool and Isaac as DLC characters instead of Bayonetta and Corrin. Literally, nothing! Diddy is and will forever be my #1 main character in Smash Bros., and any other game he'll be playable in. He's basically the virtual avatar of my youth.

Hype Level: Over 9000 / 10

Characters that also got me really hyped, Top 2-5 :

:mewtwomelee:- Mewtwo in Melee was the biggest surprise for me ever, I always envisioned Mewtwo in Smash 64, ironically also because Samus had her Charge Shot and I envisioned Mewtwo with a similar attack. Look how that turned out! His moveset was a total dissapointment in the end however, so that's a bummer.

Mewtwo in Melee however made me overlook that Diddy wasn't there, pure because he had the element of surprise and I (at that given time) never saw him coming.

Hype Level: 9.5/10

:ike:- Path of Radiance was my favorite GameCube game (at least, drawn with Melee and Wind Waker), and the Tellius Saga is easily my favorite saga of Fire Emblem. Him being revealed as the first newcomer outside of Wario, Zero Suit Samus and MetaKnight in the trailer was awesome. And he was always a loyal secondary in my Brawl days, played him as much as DK, and that's a whole lot! The only thing that bothered me with his inclusion was him being a power character and rather slow, but the contrast between his and Marth's style was beautiful. I still don't like that Aether is so underwheling, and Eruption seemed so random, but Ike up till today is still one of my favorite Smash characters, and always a solid secondary. When he came back for Smash 4, I was also overjoyed cause I feared Chrom would replace him.

Hype Level: 9/10

:4mewtwo:- Does this count? Mewtwo as a DLC character felt like a newcomer addition to me. Sure, he should've been on the main roster, but Mewtwo as a DLC character was something that was new for Smash, and kept the speculation and hype alive for a longgg time. Mewtwo had fast improvements in his gameplay and moveset, but still felt underwhelming because of his featherweight status (which was an actual nerf, yay). Still, Mewtwo is a solid secondary for me still, and my favorite out of all the DLC characters. So he should be listed here.

Gave him an 8.5 earlier, but now changed it to 8 because Mewtwo's reveal was awesome, but what created the MOST hype was of coarse our dream to have our favorite newcomer being included next. If we take all this into consideration, and how much more hopeful we all became, I think we should all rank Mewtwo for Smash DLC as our Top 5, however I'll just refrain from that, and give Mewtwo by himself a solid, healty 8/10.

Hype Level: 8.0/10

:toonlink:- Yes most saw him as "another clone" in Brawl but I really enjoyed Toon Link's inclusion, and still do. His addition felt like a natural evolution on the roster, having Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl. Awesome character, from an awesome game, and I was a huge supporter of Toon Link getting in. I didn't mind him being a clone, because that made sence. And in the end, he's still pretty damn different from Link. A very pleasant surprise.

:ganondorfmelee:- Yes I said Top 5 and am not cheating here, Ganondorf in Melee got the same reception from me as I gave Toon Link so it's a tie here. We all played Ocarina of Time didn't we? If not, you should. Ganondorf in Melee, like Mewtwo, felt unreal. I was genuinely surprised to have them in, mainly because of how powerful they where in their main game and how that would transit over to Smash. (lol) Another extremely pleasant surprise, and I rank him similar to Toon Link because they did the exact same thing: last minute, highly popular Zelda character request made into a (semi)clone. Awesome stuff, wish they did the same with Impa.

Top 5-10:

Coming soon;

:4feroy::4lucas::lucas::wario::wolf::bowsermelee::peachmelee::sheikmelee::4charizard:
Continued ; Top 5-10

:4feroy:- Seeing Roy return was a real joy for me. I was always skeptical of his return in Brawl because I felt other FE character deserved it more, seeing as Roy missed out BIG TIME in Western fanbase points because FE6 obviously never reached us... Legally. Fortunately, Internet Pirates made my life easier, and I got to play FE6 during the Brawl speculation days, or before so... Not too sure. Anyway, I felt other Fire Emblem characters where more deserving, moreso Ike, who I also obviously rank higher because of this. But for Smash 4, I was actually supportive of Roy getting back. So I was glad to see him return, especially with this new awesome semi-clone moveset which is a huge upgrade for Roy. Awesome he came back unexpectedly!

Hype Level 7/10

:4lucas:- Lucas is in all actuality in the exact similar spot as Roy here. I was a Lucas supporter back in Brawl speculation, and I was thus hyped he made it in. I was glad to see him return because I also played MOTHER 3, so yeah, same deal as Roy basically, except I also supported Lucas during the Brawl days. However, since he didn't get that many moveset updates, I rank him togheter with Roy in Hype Level.

Also, :lucas:'s reveal goes even with both Roy and Smash 4 Lucas.

:4charizard:- Charizard returning on his own was an awesome sight, and am glad this hugely iconic Pokémon has his very own slot now. His reveal was hype in Smash 4. Does this even count as hype? I think it should.

Hype Level 7/10

:wario: / :metaknight: / :zerosuitsamus: - The first bunch of newcomers revealed in the first Brawl trailer. All are characters I found where long overdue, or at least, in Wario and MetaKnight's case this was true. Zero Suit Samus was a huge surprise, but damn, did I like it! She made a lot of sence as a newcomer, and got excited to play as her. Unfortunately, the styles of none of these characters fitted with me, but their reveal was HYPE.

Hype Level: 7/10

:sheikmelee: - Sheik was revealed before Zelda as a playable character in Melee. And it was a damn surpising addition. Because well, I never really expected Sheik being able to fight so well. But she could! Ocarina of Time helped with the hype for Sheik, and also Zelda. But we all know why the 'shadow' of Zelda is way more popular than the princess herself... :rolleyes:

Hype Level: 6.5/10

:pichumelee:- Yes I liked Pichu's reveal a lot back in 2002 or so. I didn't care that he was a clone, because Pikachu was still my favorite character at that point, and yeah... I got exited to play as inferiour Pikachu. Even had him as a secondary for the longest time, but that never worked well competitively.

Hype Level 6.5/10

:younglinkmelee:- Similar to Pichu, I liked Young Link's addition. Already expressed this with Toon Link's hype, but I knew that Young Link would probably be a lot faster than Adult Link, so that's why I liked Young Link that much more... Because I always thought Link was too sluggish. Young Link, like Pichu, was also a secondary character for me for a long time

Hype Level 6.5/10

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
:4megaman: easily I was the most excited for
That trailer was cut so good who can truly say they weren't hyped by it?
these guys came close but no dice
:4littlemac::4wiifit::4duckhunt::4ryu::4villager:

funny how I don't use any of them really

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Was so hyped for:4mewtwo: thought his moveset/weight would be totally revamped and be made a super badass and well... He's still pretty badass and I'm satisfied with him, the route they went with him, classic Melee Mew2 but better integrated into the mechanics of this new game.

And :4cloud: was a real sweet surprise for me~<3

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Greninja. He's my second favorite starter pokemon, and when the direct started, I actually
just evolved my frogadier (in Y)!

Last edited:

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
Most hype: :4lucas:,:4cloud:,:4corrin: I played Lucas in brawl, Cloud was very surprising for me, and Corrin got me even more hyped for FE14.

Least hype: :4lucina: Lucina is so lame as a smash character but I love her in FE 13

Last edited:

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
Most hype: :4lucas:,:4cloud:,:4corrin: I played Lucas in brawl, Cloud was very surprising for me, and Corrin got me even more hyped for FE14.

Least hype: :4lucina: Lucina is so lame as a smash character but I love her in FE 13
Tbh Lucina is my least favourite character.
Sorry FamilyTeam

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
:4greninja:Greninja, no question.

I saw Greninja and I immediately couldn't wait for the game to come out. And when it did, I tried him out and learned quite a bit! He's now a solid secondary that I have.

D

Deleted member

:4lucas:

He unfortunately didn't live up to it. Sigh.

Althought if we're talking strictly newcomers, then definitely :4palutena:. Another character that didn't live up to the hype, despite her being one of my favorite fictional characters ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I don't have much problems with clones but I just don't like Lucina. I'm fine with dark pit because he was my main once (inb4 buffs), I don't like Dr. Mario also. Lucas I'm fine with.
Sorry m8
It's okay. Why did you point that at me, though? It's not like I'm the only fan of Lucina here, and I am not the biggest fanboy of her on this site (Don't think so, atelast.)

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Most hyped? Holy ****, I dunno...

There's Ike, Lucas, Robin, Shulk, Pale Tuna, Ryu, and Cloud ******* Strife. How am I supposed to choose?!

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Definitely Roy. I loved how he came back to SSB4 with a full upgrade. It's like he got promoted to Master Lord! Haha. Though he may not have the coolest sword anymore (courtesy of Monado Boy), I still love watching his trailer for fun.

Though to this day I still think Little Mac has the best trailer, but Roy was the most hyped character for me.

Top Bottom