• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your "Main"...have you even PLAYED their true game?

Big Bob

Smash Apprentice
My most used in Melee:

Jigglypuff - yeah, I've played the Pokemon games to death, so she counts
Captain Falcon - Actually...I HAVE played some of the F-Zero games, but never enough to really justify a love of the series. I just like using Falcon.
Bowser - Who HASN'T played Mario?
Yoshi - Yep, I've played the Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Story games
Mr. Game & Watch - I played some of the G&W games on the e-reader demo at Gamestop...does that count?

Sci Fi Samurai

Smash Rookie
I play characters that I've had a history w/. I feel I impart experiences w/ them that continue through SB.

Though, Brawl might change that. Wario looks like he'll be fun, but I've only ever played w/ him a bit in Mario Kart and Mario Golf :\

Betrayed

Smash Ace
In Melee, I played a lot of Falcon and Marth, while I have rarely played their games.

I've played a ton of Star Fox and Sonic and Legend of Zelda. Care to guess who my first choices of characters in Brawl are?

I played Melee based on the tier list. I'll play Brawl based on... who I want to play.

Kirbichu

Smash Apprentice
I'll play Luigi, Kirby, Pikachu, Sonic, and G&W for reason 1: Super Mario Advance, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Pokemon Yellow, Sonic Heroes, and Manhole for E-Reader.
Ness and Link are the other way around, I used them first on Smash and then got into their games.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Mained Link then played a legend of Zelda game (OoT and TP)

I plan on using Sonic and PT on the firt reson though (poke'mon red and Sonic 2 are 2 of my favorite games)

Patinator

Smash Champion
Eh... I thought I mained Mario because it was about the only game series I knew before Melee. Him, Dr. Mario, and Bowser.

But then I unlocked Roy. Roy and Ganondorf. Then things changed.

Roy was cool; a pyromaniac with a sword and red hair. Ganondorf I learned about from my friend. Just like Smash. He's evil, strong, and has cool-looking shadow effects.

And I also discovered my best character was truly tha good Cap'n about the time I beat Event 51.

So... Kind of both. :p

iron blade

Smash Ace
I pick who I like and then become good as them. Sometimes the games they are in influence whether I play as them or not, but for the most part, I main who I like.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
I play every character because I grew up with Nintendo and don't really dislike any of the games chosen to be represented in Smash Bros. I mained Captain Falcon in Melee because he was my favorite character, but I also used Fox/Marth/Shiek. I don't have a true main in Brawl yet, but I'm starting so really like Olimar, Ice Climbers, Ness, and Marth. So I really can't answer you question because I've played probably every game represented in Brawl.

tl;dr I grew up with Nintendo and I play as everyone.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
My main (Sonic) was my pick because he was obviously going to be fairly fast. Yeah I played sonic and all those sega games, but my choice for brawl was purely because he was fast.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I've played most of the pokemon series and is currently, my main interest. Considering that my main is jigglypuff, yes, I've played his/her/its true game. As for my secondaries, I own Kirby's Adventure for the Virtual Console, never played starfox, Pikachu's a given, and who owns earthbound? Thank goodness for masterpieces.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
I try to play every Nintendo game that features any character from Smash.
I just don't feel very comfortable playing as someone I don't know well.

That said, my response would be "Of course!".
I've loved all my mains for over a decade now... even before they were part of the Smash series!;)

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Both.

In SSB64, I mained Link, but randomly played Luigi and Ness. At the time, I never played EarthBound, I just liked the character, and I loved Link and Luigi and that determined my choice.

In Melee, I mained Link and Ganondorf and sub-mained Zelda and Marth (generally in one-on-one only).

I have played Zelda games and always loved them, but never played a Fire Emblem. And I never liked Ganondorf from OoT.

In Brawl, I intend to main Toon Link, Ganondorf, and play Zelda, Marth, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Pikmin & Olimar, Luigi, Zero Suit Samus and Pit until I've narrowed the list down to who I feel most comfortable playing.

Reasons:
- Toon Link appears to fit my style more than Link does this time around.
- I liked Ganondorf in Melee as he fit my style, I hope he continues to.
- Zelda fit my style in Melee, hopefully will continue.
- Same with Marth.
- Lucas' improvements over Ness in Melee remind me of why I liked playing him in SSB. Also, I've now played the Mother games, even though I haven't beaten any of them yet.
- I love Pokemon, especially the first gen, and Bulbasaur was my favorite starter line, and I started liking Squirtle later in the generations. The uniqueness attracts me.
- I liked the idea of Pikmin, I like Olimar's uniqueness. I played the game. I'm interested.
- Always liked Luigi and actually, the main reason I bought Super Mario Galaxy was for Luigi. lol. But I liked playing him in SSB. He seemed crappy in Melee, to me, though.
- Zero Suit Samus is actually a new addition to who I want to play. I wanted to play her when I first saw her, then I lost interest later on because I thought you couldn't play her normally, and she just seemed uninteresting. But after watching gameplay videos, I regained interest and can't wait to see if she fits my style. Also, I love Metroid games, even if I suck at the originals.
- Pit, I didn't like until seeing him at E for All. I downloaded and played Kid Icarus and liked the idea, but hated how easy it was to die. After seeing him in action, I regained interest.

Machete

Smash Ace
Yes.

I mained Mario, Ness and Samus in 64. Metroid is my favourite series, I'm also a fan of the MOTHER series (Even though I considerer MOTHER 3 being the best one, by far) and, obviously, I have played a Mario game.

I mained Mewtwo, Bowser and Ganondorf in Melee. I mained them because I like them a lot. Obviously, I have played their games.

I played a lot as Falco. StarFox 64 is one of my favourite games.

I think I'm going to main Pokémon Trainer and Wolf. I know I'll main Wolf even if he sucks. I mained Mewtwo in Melee, Wolf can't be worse. So yes, I've played their games. That's why I main them.

Truce

Smash Cadet
'Course I've played their games before. I only want to use Sonic + Link (and possibly PT) because of how awesome I've seen them to be in their original settings.

But I don't have the game so this is all theoretical anyway.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Link/Mario main, and really those are the only two series I play (not the crappy Mario Sports and Zelda handhelds) because they introduced me to video games. Tried DK games. Metroid games, Kid Icarus, Ice Climbers, the first two gens of Pokemon, and one of the Kirby games (didn't like the latter two). Didn't really like any of them as much, though I don't hate the characters. Guess I've never played Starfox, Mother, Pikmin, and FE. But I'm never going to main one of those characters, anyway.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
I've never played the original few FE games, I didnt pick Marth because he was high tier, I've always liked Marth, I've never played his game, but I will/would if I was/will be given the chance to.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
I main Ness, but never played an Earth Bound game. In Brawl, I'm going to try to main Sonic. (first games ever were Sonic 1 and 2 for the Genesis/MegaDrive)

leeray666

Smash Cadet
I've never played a Fire Emblem game. But I used to play as Marth quite a bit, He looks cooler than the rest.

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
not my mains, but I've never played the GW games, Fire Emblem...and that's it...

everything else I've played

As far a my Method - I'm sort of attached to DK, so I'm maining him for sure just based on his last two Smash outings.

I usually pick the guys I want to main, then get good with them regardless. I have a good idea of what kind of styles I like, so playing with everyone won't be necessary.

Kresent

Smash Cadet
I've played almost all of the Kirby games. Excluding the spin offs (Except for Dream Course and Air Ride). I can say that I have played enough Kirby games to main DeDeDe before I found out that he has a good chain throwing game.

Same with Mario. I've played most of his primary games (Some of the spin offs, but never finishing them).

Zero Suit Samus, on the other hand, I cannot say that I have. I've only played Metriod Prime 3 for any Metriod game.

My real main is DeDeDe though.

SilentDrifterZ

Smash Ace
it's funny that i would've never played their games if I never played the first Smash Bros.

Marth - ...well no, I was introduced to the Fire Emblem series through Path of Radiance, does that count?
Fox - Ever since I main him in 64, I've been playing whatever Star Fox games I pick up.
Link - Same story as Fox.

Dais

Smash Cadet
The real question is Meta-Kirby, why the hell have you not played all the Metroid games? Are you 4 years old? Are you an emotionless robot? Do you not have thumbs? Hmm, I'm out of reasons why someone wouldn't play Metroid games.
I've beat all Metriod games (except Hunters)
I've done 100% speed runs on Super Metroid and Zero Mission
I've also probably played through Super Metroid 20 or so times (just because its the best game ever)
I also plan on maining Falco so:
I got all gold medals in Expert mode on Star Fox 64, nuff said
I got the creds to play with Pokemon Trainer too if I want (I've beat em all and caught em all so I guess I'm a Pokemon Master lol) Well, You can like any character you want But if you want them to like you back you have to earn their respect.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I'm going to main Diddy and I have played DK64, Diddy Kong Racing & a couple old school DK titles.

B J

Smash Cadet
i maining olimar, lucas, and gaw. I haven't played any of their games. Hahah

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
I main Mr. Game and Watch, and I've played the Game and Watch Galleries. So, no problem there.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
Played ocarian of time to the very end a couple of times on the good old Nintendo 64 i miss the glory days. Shiek is my main.

Sir Nels the Slayer

Smash Cadet
The second choice best fits me. Super Smash Brothers was my first Nintendo game. Therefore, my choice of a main wasn't marred by my opinion of their respective games. I tried out all of the characters, and decided which one was best for me.

Charzonsos

Smash Cadet
The character's I plan to try out I have played Captain Falcon, Red, Lucario, Sonic, Pit, and Meta Knight's games, and I haven't played Marth, Ike, R.O.B., and Snake's games. Yet, I play characters if they feel right to me. Captain Falcon, Marth, and Red are the only ones I will for sure main.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
I want to use Lucas because ...

1) I've played Earthbound, and really enjoyed it.
2) I like Ness' playing style in both Smash64 and Melee.
3) My name is Lucas as well. I mean, how cool is that? :D

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
metal gear is probably my favorite game series ever. everyone should do themselves a favor and buy twin snakes. or buy the metal gear anthology when it comes out for ps2. before 2005, snake was like one of those characters that I thought "that would be so cool, but it would never happen." im totally stoked

Top Bottom