• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Hardest Luigi Matchups (opinion)

Your Hardest Matchup?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Luigi

• Bowser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peach

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Yoshi

• DK

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C. Falcon

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Falco

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Fox

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Ness

• Ice Climbers

• Kirby

• Samus

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Zelda

• Link

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Young Link

• Pichu

• Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game&Watch

• Marth

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • Roy

• Sheik

Votes: 28 16.8%

• Total voters

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Who is your hardest match-up? If you vote please post who you vote for and reasons why. Personally I have trouble vs. Marth, can't get past his disjointed hitbox sword.

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is a hard match for Luigi, don't know about hardest, but it's pretty hard...

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Thats true. I get my Green Hat handed to me when I play ECEddie's Ganon lol. Maybe even a tougher match than marth, or just equal. Who voted for Falco? I always use Luigi vs. Falco cuz it cancels out their pillaring :p

LiMe ¤ FuRy

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with smash GOD on this, though i do sometimes have trouble with ganon, i would say i have the hardest trouble with marth.

KidZero

Smash Cadet
I have trouble with Falco because of his SHL & grab combos.
Kinda hard to get around those.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Uhh yeah... This is hardest matchups for Luigi just in case you didn't notice it was in the Luigi forum. And Falco's grab combos are pretty easy to escape with floatiness, but SHL completely screwz recovery.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Marth is too sick for luigi. Luigi is supposed to beat everybody in the air, but I can't fight marth in the air he always gets his long sword on me before i can touch him. Usually when I'm going against a marth I'd rather stay in the ground and wavedash toward him and combo him quickly before he can hit you, it ain't easy, but it works. The quicker you get to him and combo him the faster he'll be over. Thats what I think, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot more ways to kill this guy, maybe I can get some tips so I can combine it with my ideas to make a more effective strategy to beat Marth.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I actually have a lot of trouble with Link, particularly his up+B on the ground, which will spike Luigi at ugly angles and extremely low percentages on the ledge. The nature of Marth obviously presents a problem, but I haven't actually had too many problems with him in a long time. Between wavedash-spotdodging his approach and moving in for a down throw, you can usually use his own floatiness against him for some mini-combos. Keeping your distance is key in that match, really. Marth doesn't let Luigi pull any of his flashier stunts.

JerenIsUgly

Smash Rookie
Dr. Mario usually can beat my Luigi pretty well, the cape sucks as far as edge gaurding goes and the pills disrupt wave dashing

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Pikachu and peach are tough ont he poor lil jigglypuff.
I'm pretty sure this is more Luigi, not Jiggs.

I don't really play as Luigi often, but when i do play him, I have a lot of trouble with swordsmen. namely Marth and Link. I'm also really bad against Ice climbers with my Luigi.

I'll just go with Marth for the vote.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well I lose more often to the Ice Climbers than I do to Link. After all, there's two of them. But I think that's more of a player skill imbalance than a character-based one.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I used to REALLY, REALLY hate Marth, and as recently as about 3 months ago I might have voted for him. The thing is, I kept trying to attack Marth through the air and I would get tipped out of absolutely EVERYTHING. Eventually I wised up and realized that you can't approach Marth from the air unless you're already inside tip range, or if he's severely lagging.

It's not an even matchup by any stretch of the imagination, but it's at least tolerable.

My vote now goes to Fox or Sheik. I haven't played against many good Sheiks but every time I do I seem to fare rather poorly.

extragrandeben

Smash Journeyman
I say Peach. Peach is such a pain to kill, and if you crouch cancel a lot in your game, well then, your screwed. Not to mention the stupid turnips that can mess your whole game up horribly. She sucks.

Hzrd

Smash Cadet
I personally have trouble fighting shiek. seems like its just really hard to get a good combo or anything on it. Marth is the second hardest but i fair very well and can beat him with shield-to-WD-back to shield, then when i get close spot dodge while WDing for a grab, it usually what i do to get close and past the sword. (fox might be the 3rd hardest for me - due to the shine)

nublet06

Smash Lord
Peach. shes just hard to kill...and she doesnt have problems killng you. cant edge gaurd her all that well. grabs are super hard to get on her. and she plays so **** defensive. put that together with luigis crappy approach and you find a lot of problems.

samus would be second hardest. she is WAY easier to edge gaurd than Peah which helps A LOT. samus is forced to come in low while peahch just floats abov you. grabs do nothing for you. you cant really sweet spot an up b agaisnt her. no combos. wavedash backwards f smah hits WAY too easy. dodging missles on the way back is dumb.

Ganondorf is really hard. luigi doesnt last long agaisnt him (an underrated luigi attribute) and luigi CAN edge gaurd him...but theres a lot of oppotunity for mistakes. you have to knock him away from the edge around 20 times before he actually dies. luckly you can out speed him on the ground and try to get him to miss a laggy move.

Jiggs can be ticky but you just have to be agrssive and defensive at the right times.

I love fighting marth sheik fox and falco falcon. luigi combos them and edge gaurds them great. plus you always fight agasint them so sooner or later you just catch on.

f tilt owns them all.....same as tech chasing (not marth as much). ligi has great combos on all of them.

edge gaurding is easy agaisnt marth if you use wavedash bair off the level.....the light shield trick...and just smart edge hogging. only bad thing is once you are in the air it can be a huge problem landing on the ground again.

sheik...cc helps A LOt....great cobos...use smart edge hogging for her recovery. try not to get needled cause she will gimp you.

fox.....dont get shined or fall into a lot of up smashes.

falco....lasers are annoying....when you get tucan sam make sure he dies. not a fun match at all.....but thats smash sometimes.

nublet06

Smash Lord
i find luigi chain grabbing to be.....meh. its too % specific and easy to be DI'd.

if i down throw sheik i like to tech chase with a smash. same with fox/falco/falcon....i only chain fastfallers with 2 grabs at the most.

my favorite thing to do is take advantage of people DI. if you have your back to edge and grab a fast faller.....they are going to DI away from the edge. so use luigis upthrow which can only be DI' towards luigi.....and they are screwed. use it into a charged smash....or anything else you want.

at the same time if you grab shek in the same situation......she will DI away from the edge.....so if you down throw she will pretty much go nowhere...and you can turn around with an fsmash into her face. or down air...or chop. whatever the heck you want.

Postyo@28

Smash Rookie
Fox and Falco for thier shine. That move sends luigi flying. It especialy screws with wavedashing. Marth is definitly second. The disjointed hitbox sux to get around but it can be done.

ace94d

Smash Rookie
My Opinion isn't much since I only battle Computers. But I REALLY hate pikachu. He annoys me with his B move and hurts my Jump game with his Down B.

Although if I can get a Few Tilt-A to Dairs I can shut him pretty good.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Uh-oh you play computers. You new to smashboards? Get a move on with reading guides and wd and lcancel and all that tech crpziz!

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
You might get by a marth who doesn't know how to fight luigi, but a marth who knows the matchup is just a hellish battle. Luigi can't approach from the air (as already stated) and there's no reason even to let him approach from the ground -- marth has the option of playing very safe and airborne and just waiting to land a low-risk fair, at which point luigi has to DI like a maniac and pray not to lose a stock.
Luigi's options:
1. Hope marth makes a mistake, allowing a wd approach to actually penetrate
2. Green fireballs (HA!)

nublet06

Smash Lord
as long as luigi stays on the ground....its not really that bad of a match. i think its a little over rated.

luigi is pretty dang good at edge gaurding marth. plus hes got some pretty sick combos.

the biggest problem is if the marth just stays under you the whole match and juggles. because its not that hard. and edge gaurding from a ledge hop is nice for marth too. but most marths like to stay on the level and down tilt (doesnt really work) or f smash (pain in the butt but can be teched and avoided)

id say the marth that has caused me problems than any other was bob$. i have played dsf....ken in friendlies...and my friend boa who is an awesome marth. but i think bob owns me more than any of the others. lol....dont know why.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
Edgeguarding is even at best (for luigi) -- luigi's got lots of options, but can't use most of them effectively unless marth is out of his second jump and really in trouble, while marth covers the high route easily with aerials and covers the low route with edgehog to edgehopped bairs (and occasional dairs).
Marth can quite easily approach aerially and then stay low to juggle, taking almost no risk at all, and even if marth stays on the ground he still has a big advantage (more range, roughly equal speed, plus every time he hits or grab luigi, he can expect more of a payoff than luigi can expect when he lands a blow.)

I can't figure out how this matchup would be overrated. I mean, it's not as bad of a matchup as marth vs mew2, but it's as bad as matchups get for luigi.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
While I 3 stock my lil bro (known as Smash G 0 D's Little Bro) in a Marth ditto he 1 stocks my Luigi with Marth. I just seem to have most problems with Marth. I even do well vs. Fox shine and Sheik Fair and I do alright vs. Ganon, just not Marth. My favorite edgeguarding (vs. everyone) is facing the edge, WD toward edge so I start wigglin at the edge, and then tap forward to fall off and chop their survival. That really screws them up bad. After that, no chance they get back unless they at 0% and they're Zelda LOL.

ace94d

Smash Rookie
Uh-oh you play computers. You new to smashboards? Get a move on with reading guides and wd and lcancel and all that tech crpziz!
Well. I can Wavedash(Can't attack while doing it though. and I still mess up sometimes:laugh: ) and I can CC(I think) and I believe I can tech(About 5% of the time)

Yeah. Marth is a bad Matchup VS. Luigi(Though Pikachu still annoys me)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
as long as luigi stays on the ground....its not really that bad of a match. i think its a little over rated.
QFT.

After like a year of playing Marths I'm finally starting to realize how important it is to STAY GROUNDED. Of course, Luigi's aerials are so good it's tough to play without them. I suspect most Luigi's can't make this adjustment so they see Marth as an inordinately hard matchup. I used to think the exact same way.

...most marths like to stay on the level and down tilt (doesnt really work) or f smash (pain in the butt but can be teched and avoided)
I have to disagree with this. Unless you can sweetspot VERY consistently, D-tilt will basically kill you by setting you up for an F-smash or a D-Air.

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree with this. Unless you can sweetspot VERY consistently, D-tilt will basically kill you by setting you up for an F-smash or a D-Air.
But luigi is pretty easy to sweetspot.

If you're marth in this matchup, you really should be edgehogging if luigi comes in low unless you know for a fact that the luigi you're facing is sloppy about his sweetspotting. Then it becomes a mindgame (in marth's favor, because with the exception of a misfire, luigi's recovery options are usually either forced or telegraphed) where marth's looking to either edgehop bair, edgehop dair, or roll up ftw.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'll have to try to stay grounded next time I play Marth. Both have great aerials, Marth just has reach and priority over Luigi. But always Luigi > Marth (and all other characters). And Marth > all characters except Luigi LOL.

***POST 400***

nublet06

Smash Lord
yeah....wavesheilding and wavedash ftilt are your best friends agaisnt marth.

if he recovers high.....try to sneak in an aerial. its not all that harrd since luigi has fast moves.

if he comes in low....use light sheild trick. (roll into the edge while holding z.....then lean towards the edge a little so your shield moves....let go when you get hit.)

if he comes in mid to low....wavedash backwards off the level and bair. he will die.

and then of course there is edgehog to roll.

edge gaurding marth is actually pretty good for luigi. especially if the marth doesnt play against a lot of luigi's. (almost every marth) its actually becoming one of my better matchups.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
If I don't make mistakes, Gannondorf is a pretty easy match for me. However, it seems like Ganon is the most capable of severely punishing every mistake I make. If you mistime an attack, flub a tech, or just make a tactical error, he will kill you. Plain and simple.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Unexperienced Ganons aren't too tough. If the Ganon is good, then he could be a problem. Luigi out-aerials Ganondorf most of the time but you should be careful on the ground. If the Ganon is specially trained vs Luigi (or just real good) they'll be able to get you in the air and on the ground.

Top Bottom