• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Hardest Luigi Matchups (opinion)

Your Hardest Matchup?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Luigi

• Bowser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peach

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Yoshi

• DK

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C. Falcon

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Falco

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Fox

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Ness

• Ice Climbers

• Kirby

• Samus

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Zelda

• Link

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Young Link

• Pichu

• Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game&Watch

• Marth

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • Roy

• Sheik

Votes: 28 16.8%

• Total voters

XLR8

Smash Journeyman
marths grab reaches approx. 500 feet
I would be suprised that there aren't that many votes for Ganon, but the people that are actually good enough to see it as a hard match voted for Marth/Sheik/Fox. So I'm not really suprised. I especially like it when Ganon just touches you while you're in your shield and you super wavedash across the level... that's always fun...

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Whoever you voted for will show up italicized for you. Sheik has never really been a problem for me when I figured out what to do. Nair scrus her combos up and comes out lightning fast, even after another aerial. I like ledgehopping into a Fair and on the same hop right after Fair pull out a Nair. Works well if they sheild your Fair and plan to sheild-grab you. They will fail.

I tried staying on the ground vs. my bro's Marth... and it WORKS. Great tactic vs. Marth. I like 2 stocked him or sometin lol.

nublet06

Smash Lord
lol......sex kick does not cancel out sheiks combos. i dont get why people think that is true. if it is working.....you are playing a bad sheik.

but yeah agasint marth you want to get as many grabs as possible. and considering hes prolly the easiest of the higher tier characters to grab....i personally think luigi does pretty well agaisnt him. wavesheilding for grabs and wavedash f tilt help so much. you can usually down throw before they DI and it will set up for a chop, dair, or at least one bair. crouch cancel help too.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Jiggs is just bleh. Shes so frickin annoying, but if you can combo her to a high percent, Nair her and she'll die. Floaty McPufferson has amazing recovery going back on the stage, but trying to get down from being Naired by the Greenish Plumber, Jiggs = a failure. :p

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Luigi owns, lolz
I always used him against foxes. Not DIed Upthrow + ***** slap owns ^^

I do not have a real problem with a character, thoguh Marth with his long sword is just freakin annoying :@ stupid "tippers" and Dtilts

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi owns, lolz
I always used him against foxes. Not DIed Upthrow + ***** slap owns ^^

No kidding. Usually, one would think shine 0Wnz0Rz Luigi, but in reality...

LUIGI > > > FOX
^duh^

Uthrow to chop is awesome. Personally, I like Nair combos on Fox like Nair to Chop or Nair to Nair. A little bit of chainthrow never hurt anyone (except Fox). One or two throws to chop = pwnage.

Everyone who Plays Like Luigi is awesome.

Apocalypse_Prime

Smash Rookie
Links Up+B is a killer near edges, no way around it other then ledge grabbing, and we all know how hard it is while Link's swinging his sword (as to not go too high or be too low).

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
iunno if someone has menshioned it or not, but it all depends who u play with, like an exemple i bet alot of luigis have great deal of trouble against marth, well i been playing my friend, whos marth for about a year, and when i go to torneys and such and my oponent is marth i dont have taht much trouble at all, so again, it depends all on who u play with

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
iunno if someone has menshioned it or not, but it all depends who u play with, like an exemple i bet alot of luigis have great deal of trouble against marth, well i been playing my friend, whos marth for about a year, and when i go to torneys and such and my oponent is marth i dont have taht much trouble at all, so again, it depends all on who u play with

I don't understand what the heck you just said. If my translating skills are correct, you play with your friend and you do good at tourneys? Ok. I play with my bro :p

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
No, what i said was... "it is who u play with" *not the person, but their char* so lets say, you and me have the exact same skill at playing luigi, well lets say u have been playing agaisnt ur friend who is a fox, and you guys have been playing for few years,* and i have never played a fox before in my life* now even tho we are at the same skill level, if we were to play your friend fox, or any other fox, you will do much greatly against the fox, because you have been playing against fox for so long where as i have not

Cain

Smash Cadet
man, i voted for mario, but after that i realized that the hardest for me was ganondorf because of his power and range. luigi could be sent flying if ganondorf is in the hands of a master. luckily m skilled with both.:chuckle:

Luigi_Is_Op

Smash Rookie
Yeah. I second Shiek. My friend plays shiek and can whip out some monster combos that totally screw over my luigi. Good thing my aerial game is so much better than his, so I can recover, otherwise, he'd be untouchable.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Well one reason why some people who play against their friend's character are good is because they learn how far their opponents hits are, what they can do in different situations. And if u learn everything about your opponent you get better against him. So just study the character

Masterfelix5

Smash Rookie
Ok im not sure about you guys but I beat my brothers all the time and they both use Marth.
The only time that its hard for me is when Marth keeps me up in the air and its hard sometimes to get back down.
Then again my brothers dont wavedash or shuffle or whatever its called.
Also ive memorized my brothers tactics to attack me making dodging there moves very easy.
And I usally seem to lose against Falco and Fox then again whenver I fight them its in 4 player games
I might do better 1 on 1 not sure.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
meh, when I came to this site and started relearning how to play*. I decided upon Luigi, just because I never really used him that much but I always thought he'd be cool. Anyways I recommended that my friends stuck with the chars they were good with, My roommate is Ganon, and our close friend is Marth. So basically I got owned by my own suggestion, but at least it makes me get better faster.

as for what I tend to do and when: my friends like to dash attack a lot, although some of the time they just run through me (while I'm shielding) but generally I throw them into combos (we're also very bad at DI, in fact if we went to a tourny we'd probably be laughed at :/) and get them off the edge when they do that. Other then that I don't really have much of a chance except to dodge their attacks and wait for openings.

*I learned how to play without using short hopping or wave dashing or anything other then what the game told you. Same with my friends. I found this site while looking up some random info about the game, and I began the arduous task of relearning to play the game, as Luigi! Overall though I'd say I'm doing much better then I was a month ago though... back when I was trying to WD and SH while my friends smacked me around.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Wavedashing is arguably one of the most essential components to Luigi combat game and mindgames. Try Wavedashing into and out of your sheild to block attack and wavedashing into sidesteps (spotdodge) also. Luigi ledgegame is also important. Ganon and Marth are two pretty hard matchups for Luigi though lol. For Ganon, make sure you let out your aerials quickly and be unpredictable. I think this has been said enough, but vs Marth you should stay on the ground.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Umm alot of people are fast and have good jumps. Fox is actually one of my favorite matchups. Uthrow, Nair, and Dsmash Launchers into Fair or Dair or Nair into more combo.He's prone to wavedashing off edge into Fair cuz of his fastfalling.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Um yeah if you didn't notice this is the Luigi board. What are you the 3rd person to vote for a matchpu that isn't for Luigi? Falco's shine aint that bad for Luigi...

shinehex

Smash Lord
Long Island, New York (If you want to smash contac
Um yeah if you didn't notice this is the Luigi board. What are you the 3rd person to vote for a matchpu that isn't for Luigi? Falco's shine aint that bad for Luigi...
LOL my bad I actually did not notice. I thought I was a general "who is your worst match up" not luigi specific. I did not get here through the main page and I was not paying that much attention....sorry.:laugh:

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
the biggest problem I have with Marth is that when he knocks me up into the air, it's really easy for him to combo me because Luigi is floaty, even with ffing. Also Nair doesn't seem to do much. It might just be my timing but his Uair either out prioritizes it or it's because it's a disjointed hitbox. Either way I can't get around it unless it's a 3 for all and my roommate punches him (Ganon). Another thing is that Marth's ff is faster so if I airdodge and try to get down he gets there first. I know that Luigi shouldn't use an air game against Marth, but if his Utilt connects this situation usually arises.

nytcrawler

Smash Rookie
i hate fox... shines = death ... that **** low angle he sends u with doesnt let u green missle back ... so hope u didnt go too far! and marths sword pwns luigis limbs.... sadly

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
well, if u dont want to get shined all u have to do is up A before he gets u with it and you'll hit him probably to a stage spike, that works for me

ace94d

Smash Rookie
Looking back upon their moves. Link is a bad matchup for luigi.

Link's Bombs cancel the Luigi Bullet, so he can stall your recovery. His arrows and boomerang stop it too. Links Up+B in the air covers a wide area, However laggy.

pwned142

Smash Cadet
a good sheik is hard to beat cuz she has a lot of ko moves and she combos so easy

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Fox's Shine is pretty easy to dodge and it isn't that tough to avoid shinespike. When you do get shinspiked, however, your dead. Chop can do you wonders from an Uthrow and Nair works great cuz of Fox FastFalling.

Stay grounded vs Marth, its hard to combo with Nair and he outprioritizes you.

Link is tough, I don't know what to say.

Sheik is vulnerable to Nair/Chop combos and is easy to kill if you know what your doing.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
Marth he just gays Luigi to much =( not even lugis down B will allow him to get back on the stage in this match up =(=( Luigi is sopose to be a annoying match up for any1 when it comes to aerial combat but marth just cancles it out =((((( and i wonder Smash GOD whats the best way to handle Shiek?

ace94d

Smash Rookie
Another thing VS. Fox I notice. The Luigi Cyclone wil hit through a Fire Fox(The part where's he attacks). So with good B Mashability you can destroy his Up-B and come back.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
meh against my friend who plays marth I started staying grounded and only SH'd chops and dairs when he's busy recovering from an attack. He likes to jump a lot so it's pretty easy to get around him.

MorbTheLuigi

Smash Ace
Yea I do that against MArths too. And I stay away every time he jumps cuz that sword will get you hard. And it's pretty easy to edge guard him. I haven't yet played a super hard Marth. Maybe I need to go against a pro Marth, I'm pretty sure they'd kill me

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I would say Fox. When Luigi jumps, he falls down slowly, which can be an advantage, so you can dish out extra ariel attacks. But Fox falls down very very fast, which makes it harder to sink meteour smashs, and other areil attacks.

Top Bottom