• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your greatest weakness/downfall?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
For me, it's the neutral game... the one aspect of Smash that I find to be about as fun as watching paint dry or grass grow. To be honest, I would rather lose a fun set than win a boring one. >_>

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
My tech skills are garbage. I can L-cancel, but I have a hard time doing much else, especially in battle. Maybe I haven't built up the muscle memory? Either way, it doesn't come easy at all.

Also, because I have always been more of a Brawl guy than Melee, I feel like I took the negative aspects of Brawl play with me to PM.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
My tech skills are garbage. I can L-cancel, but I have a hard time doing much else, especially in battle. Maybe I haven't built up the muscle memory? Either way, it doesn't come easy at all.

Also, because I have always been more of a Brawl guy than Melee, I feel like I took the negative aspects of Brawl play with me to PM.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I go in way too hard and I have a difficult time against people who play very defensively.

Leirkov

Smash Cadet
I can't deal with pressure. People actually get hype for me when I start getting hits in, cause I know how to chase and take combos far.

Unfortunately, I have no neutral game, tech flub frequently, and if someone gets in my face pressuring me into shield, I get destroyed. So the above part means nothing.

Oh, and Ness. Ness seems to be my bane.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
My temper. When I see red, I see little else.
tl;dr if I'm running on high-tension/am angry I make a lot of mistakes

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Dash-dancing.

I panic so hard sometimes when someone is dash-dancing right next to me. (not as much as before though)

Also, I have a tendency to rely too much on my instinct, and it can cost me a lot whenever someone sees right through it.

Thor

Smash Champion
I seem to cross the blast-zones 4 times before my opponent does in tournaments way too often. That always seems to get me.

Also, not being good at the technical side of the game [rarely wavedash, miss L-cancels, etc.] (though I can and have beaten people with much better tech skill because I will throw out odd options and my spacing/zoning's not terrible thanks to starting off playing Link in Melee before switching characters - though anyone who plays the game can do this if they find someone technical and predictable enough).

Last edited:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Going auto pilot when I know so much better. I find it hard to focus on the game too long without losing focus.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Lack of players in my area. Nearest serious player is a 70 minute drive from me, next nearest is 2 hours+ from me.
It's weird though, that with all the free tech time I should have with nobody to play with, what actually costs me the most in tourneys are seemingly random technical errors that lead to an SD or leave me wide open for harsh punishment. Such as missing an immediate double jump by a couple frames early or so after going deep for an offstage fair/uair, or getting barely caught under the stage on my last up-b boost, or a WD OoS becoming one of ROB's awful rolls because I misjudged shield stun.

1FD

Smash Ace
Kind of like drinking food but kind of opposite for me.
I don't really practice OR play much but my tech is always super consistent in any setting and so is my gameplay and decision making but instead of having nobody to play and only attend tournaments instead I have no tournaments to attend and I only ever play with a couple people who have been some of the best in the world in melee and pm for ages and take that for granted. It's still not much since they're both a couple hour drives from me like drinking foods closest people but when the only people you play are on a level beyond you (in LIFE I'm not talking just smash lmao) it's tough to just where you are in terms of doing well without their input too. lol
So I end up taking things for granted and can't really tell how well I'm doing but know it well enough to know that stuff IS HAPPENING and that's about it. Learning is hard

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
Good at being agro, but when I got pushed back, I tend to not be able to fight back as well. Not very good at being defensive.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I need to curb my inclination to roll out of pressure. Also, I use my double jump too liberally, which can get me juggled rather easily. Also, my biggest downfall is that I need more ppl around me to play with T_T.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I'm terrible at acting OOS, and my neutral game is pretty bad. My combo DI could also use a lot of work.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
1. I always want to go for the flash, so I end up doing something way to risky or unsafe just to look cool
2. I sheild way to much
3. I know a great deal of knowledge of fighting game fundamentals, matchup knowledge, etc. but instead i tend to go on autopilot and play with bad spacing, no neutral game, and no matchup specifics (I tend to play against every character like it was a certain character)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
When I'm playing "smart," as in I don't make any mistakes that I can immediately call out as dumb, etc., I feel like I can maintain a decent level of play, regardless of how often I win or lose.

But if I'm not playing smart, which is like 75% of the times....oh man, THE SALT. I can sit down and go through hours of the same salty rematch, over and over again, so long as the other person is up for it...but when I consistently lose to a certain character or player that I feel like is within my capability to beat after months of improvement, I often let it get to my head way too much. I'm sure many of us been there at some point. Whenever we play that person or character, we sorta defeat ourselves by thinking about how badly you always lose against them. Feels bad man. Feels bad.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Smash Rookie
NNID
Biastoise
I tend to keep my calm in games, but I've always hated getting shield grabbed. Also I don't like spam, while that is normally ineffective in this game, I have a friend who can just do it with any character he picks up. He isn't better than me or anything, but it gets to me and is without question very annoying.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
I tend to keep my calm in games, but I've always hated getting shield grabbed. Also I don't like spam, while that is normally ineffective in this game, I have a friend who can just do it with any character he picks up. He isn't better than me or anything, but it gets to me and is without question very annoying.
Oh thats another thing. I hate it when I start playing with someone totally new to the game, and they're not even good they just find one thing that their character does really well against my character and spam that. For example, I have a friend who when he first started playing played samus, and most of the game was me avoiding the fast missle. I also have the problem with going on auto pilot, but I'm getting much better at that.

the man

Smash Apprentice
Typically my weaknesses stem from trying too hard to find patterns in peoples playstyles while not mastering the tech skill of my characters. Most of the time I'll just sit there and not do anything, after either I or they reset the situation, in the hopes of tricking my opponent or to find out how they react to what I'm doing. I feel like I spend too much time waiting for their move instead of creating my own. Starting to get my falcon tech down but I don't seem to be improving with my neutral game and am unsure of how to do so.

That's what I've noticed anyway. Lack of tech skill along with waiting too long and a poor neutral game.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I hate crouch cancelling so much I do stupid things against people who spam it.

I SD a whole lot.

I suck at knowing when to start going for the killmoves.

My combo DI sucks.

My ledge getup game is terrible.

I have a to do list of 35 matchups and 15 ATs to learn.

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
My biggest downfall is not trying my hardest. When I play against people who I've beaten before or know I can beat, I tend to not give it my all. It sucks and I get so frustrated after I lose because I know deep down I should have won. Even if I win I still get frustrated, because I know I should have done a lot better, I know that I shouldn't have fallen for so many things.

Oh yea I have a quick question, what's the difference between aggressive and Defensive play?

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Don't Smash enough. I focus a bit too much on edge guarding and non-smashes.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I am facing all these issues currently, but as soon as I face a real opponent every trick and tech I prepared doesn't work. Not only am I missing them far more than in training mode, I also do outright "stupid" things. It hurts if I rewatch the matches ;) Guess it has to do with multi-tasking because I now have to focus on my decisions and watch what the opponent does, and multitasking has always been my weakness in video games.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Lack of players.

Lack of Tournaments

Lack of Netplay

But most importantly, impatience.
I can already see it now. If I was to play someone who patiently waits for his opponent to make a move, I'd be likely to lose since I'm always on the hyper offense. If they can get past that, then ITS OVER.

Lag-fi was a weakness too but that's kil now.

Dott

Smash Ace
I usually have a hard time dealing with myself. When i know i'm not doing my best i take the mach too seriously, and it starts to get frustrating instead of being fun.

I understimate my opponents too much, and that gets me to the first point.

Also i don't play off stage, so they always come back...

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
My biggest downfall is not trying my hardest. When I play against people who I've beaten before or know I can beat, I tend to not give it my all. It sucks and I get so frustrated after I lose because I know deep down I should have won. Even if I win I still get frustrated, because I know I should have done a lot better, I know that I shouldn't have fallen for so many things.

Oh yea I have a quick question, what's the difference between aggressive and Defensive play?
Dude…the feels. I have them. -___- This thread is just full of feels.

To answer your question…that depends on who you ask; the meanings of offensive/defensive/aggressive/etc. play seem a bit subjective. I personally like how Umbreon explains them in his guide "Drastic Improvement", though.

I’m referring to the section titled “Aggression” (bolded and in blue as shown huhu). Sorry if it’s hard to find; scroll to a little above halfway down the page. Whenever you have the time, I would definitely give a shot at reading through some other bits from the guide, if not just the whole thing. It’s pretty long, but it can be a fun/interesting read, and there’s definitely some pretty useful tips in there.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm just ridiculously clumsy at L-canceling. Just the way my mind works, it just always forgets to l-cancel

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I have a few. I can't decide which is the biggest.
  • I crouch cancel too much (this actually gets me KO'd sometimes)
  • My non-techchase combos need work
  • Peach (and the salt that comes with fighting that stupid character)
  • Confidence. Sometimes I'm too afraid of losing or upsetting my opponent that I just don't try at all and autopilot. Doesn't help that my training partner is one of only two PM players I know of in the area so if my emotions get in the way when I fight him, there's not a whole lot that can be done. I just have to call it a day and try to come in with a better mindset next session.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
I have a few.
1. I almost never crouch cancel anything. (sometimes never DI cuz i wasnt introduced to DI until i saw the smash documentary)
2. Im very agro and i guess predictable alot. Deference is not my strongest thing.
3. My tech-skill is great IMO, better than all my other friends. Which left my fundamentals out. Sometimes i see myself wanting to look fancy rather than just winning.

EclipseKirby

Smash Cadet
My neutral game could use some work. I too often move at an improper spacing or fail to respond to my opponent jumping or running. I also use reckless approaches too often, getting me shieldgrabbed.

My shffls could be smoother, and my wavelands and techs more consistent. As Roy, my tech chase game needs improving as well.

Top Bottom