• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Commentator

Flashed_Inferno

Smash Rookie
So, I have been wondering for a while, what do you guys think of the professional tournament's commentators? If you have seen a lot, who is your favorite?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Smooooooth Jazz~

If you know what I mean.

splat

Smash Lord
Haven't been watching videos for that long, but as far as I can tell right now I enjoy listening to Prog, D1 and Keitaro most.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
Definitely Prog and D1.
When Keitaro commentates with False they've already seen the match
and know what to expect. They just doesn't sound as legit.
Honorable mention to Pierce because I like when he throws out random match-up tips

esoterics

Smash Apprentice
Prog and D1 make an awesome team. I also enjoy hearing Wobbles though. It's a shame I haven't heard him in a while.

Bombitty

Smash Cadet
I'd love to hear Prog and Wobbles commentate a match together. They are my two favorites. Both are so knowledgeable and can keep the hype up like professionals. As far as pure most hype commentator? Coontail no question. Feels like I'm watching a stadium sport when listening to him. Even if it is brawl.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Toph, Scar and Wife.

I prefer when commentators can actually keep up with the pace of the match and be inside both players' heads and comment through the players, rather than on the match as a whole, if that makes any sense. It feels much more professional. I like when commentators call out players' strengths and weaknesses, character strengths and weaknesses the entire time. Despite myself actually being kind of an ecstatic person, I get bored as **** when commentators play off the stream chat and make jokes that aren't really funny at all when they don't know what to talk about. Some are worse than others, not naming any names.

I do like Prog as well, he does a really good job of filling in knowledge gaps that he and the audience might have and that's really great for making the community and the metagame more approachable. I don't prefer his commentary style personally, but I do think commentators like him are very important to have around.

Like, for your everyday tournament, I don't really care who commentates. Most are boring and I tune them out anyways. But at nationals, I want to hear at least one commentator with a more professional, attentive style. They make Smash feel like a real sport, it's great.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Uh... the stuff you described in paragraph 1 is exactly the stuff I and a lot of people I've watched recent streams with hate about Scar right now. Toph is mostly okay depending on his commentating partner, but his combination with Scar is not the most bearable.

It's a night and day difference between Toph+Wife and Toph+Scar.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Prog for sure.

HMW was godlike in the day, he doesnt do it as much anymore though.

I also agree wobbles is very good at it wen he does it aswell.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Definitely Awestin. Very professional commentary & detailed analysis.
If you think that's good, you should hear what he says while playing. One of the funniest guys I've ever heard

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Uh... the stuff you described in paragraph 1 is exactly the stuff I and a lot of people I've watched recent streams with hate about Scar right now. Toph is mostly okay depending on his commentating partner, but his combination with Scar is not the most bearable.

It's a night and day difference between Toph+Wife and Toph+Scar.
Hm. Perhaps I've not heard enough Scar commentary to make an informed opinion.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Scar can be cool and great on mic. Even some of the awkward back and forth's he goes through with Toph are fine. A bit negative on PM I guess. I don't disagree with the logical complaints people have, but like take Olimar. I doubt he's played Brawl at a level he cares about, trying to win in tournament, and here comes Denti or some Oli guy about to ruin his day. Like, he's not entitled to have nightmares about Oli being back. I've lived against that ****, other people gotta play Rich Brown and Dabuz every other weekend. We know the true meaning of terror when it comes to Olimar, for him to be that turned off it's like he doesn't knowwwwwwwwww our pain with Oli and the warranted fear we have now that he's back lol. When they said they were bringing back top and high tier characters from Brawl, our first honest reaction was PLEASE save us lol. We played that game, let us carry the burden of loathing and fear and hopes.

All of that from the trailer.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Prog and wobbles- one or the other, not one and the other. Both are the more logical, analytically commentators.
D1- Brings the hype
TKO- also adds some hype (sometimes can be a hype killer lol) that jazz voice tho

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Hm. Perhaps I've not heard enough Scar commentary to make an informed opinion.
There will never be enough scar commentary to justify a negative opinion about him. Scar is exciting and fun to listen to, and aso interesting, and he synergizes well with toph and makes listening to the socal dweebs bearable with his co-commentary, especially with ken(never happened im pretty sure though which is why ken has never sounded good commentating a match). The way i see it is that the nerds of smashboards are intimidated by scar and his incredible personality, of which they have none. Thus nerds are the biggest haters of scar and toph and thats why they scream at him on twitch chatrooms. The irony however is that scar is quite obviously a nerd as well, however significantly less so and actually cool and electrifying. People just love to hate on greatness. Leave it to PM players to mock scar of all people, you all should know better.

Toph is pretty good as well, however when he co commentates with wife they get really intimate and it makes me feel weird.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
There will never be enough scar commentary to justify a negative opinion about him. Scar is exciting and fun to listen to, and aso interesting, and he synergizes well with toph and makes listening to the socal dweebs bearable with his co-commentary, especially with ken(never happened im pretty sure though which is why ken has never sounded good commentating a match). The way i see it is that the nerds of smashboards are intimidated by scar and his incredible personality, of which they have none. Thus nerds are the biggest haters of scar and toph and thats why they scream at him on twitch chatrooms. The irony however is that scar is quite obviously a nerd as well, however significantly less so and actually cool and electrifying. People just love to hate on greatness. Leave it to PM players to mock scar of all people, you all should know better.

Toph is pretty good as well, however when he co commentates with wife they get really intimate and it makes me feel weird.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
you must form your allegiances now, or forever lie in death, as you pledge allegiance to the one true project m commentator

#putTKinthebackroom

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Prog and D1 are the best pair.

I also very much enjoy Waffles and Wobbles and Wife as well.
Or maybe because he's actively spiteful of Project M:
http://www.twitch.tv/meleeitonme/c/3280989?t=113m25s
Even though I haven't played vBrawl in about 4 years, dude Olimar (along with Snake) is the most unique and well crafted characters in the game.

How can you not see what Olimar is doing in Brawl when Brawl's so slow=???

No wonder Twitter blew up on Scar yesterday... :facepalm:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
TKBreezy is my favorite P:M commentator, Melee would be D1 and Prog, and Brawl probably either Gunblade, Pierce, or Keitaro.

Kati

Smash Lord
Whoever knows their facts about P:M and doesn't spread misinformation is fine in my books.

Flashed_Inferno

Smash Rookie
Toph, Scar and Wife.

I prefer when commentators can actually keep up with the pace of the match and be inside both players' heads and comment through the players, rather than on the match as a whole, if that makes any sense. It feels much more professional. I like when commentators call out players' strengths and weaknesses, character strengths and weaknesses the entire time. Despite myself actually being kind of an ecstatic person, I get bored as **** when commentators play off the stream chat and make jokes that aren't really funny at all when they don't know what to talk about. Some are worse than others, not naming any names.

I do like Prog as well, he does a really good job of filling in knowledge gaps that he and the audience might have and that's really great for making the community and the metagame more approachable. I don't prefer his commentary style personally, but I do think commentators like him are very important to have around.

Like, for your everyday tournament, I don't really care who commentates. Most are boring and I tune them out anyways. But at nationals, I want to hear at least one commentator with a more professional, attentive style. They make Smash feel like a real sport, it's great.
Who do they look like...

Top Bottom