• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Background As A Fox Main.

SpliziT

Smash Cadet

This thread is about how you became a Fox main and why you continue to play him and improve him. Have you played any of the Starfox games and know more about Fox other than just on brawl or melee? Share your stories and use this thread to get to know each other better!

This is also my introduction to the Fox community. I've been on many other forums but new here and just want to bring some more life into this forum.

Anyways, I've been playing Fox for a while now but I didn't start out using Fox. I started off using Mario which I still think is a cool character but just doesn't get the job done enough. I switched to Fox because I like his speed and his "PP Gun" lol. I like how you have to play tactical with him and he is very solid against most top tier characters. I haven't played any of the Starfox games so I don't know the true story behind him or any of the characters like Wolf and Falco but just by playing him on brawl makes me think he is the coolest ever.

SpliziT

Smash Cadet
we've had like three of these threads before, just search for one next time,
Yeah sorry about that.

@Riz
That's pretty cool cause you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of one of our worst matchups. So I'd take it that you don't have that much trouble against Pikachu when you play against it?

TKD

Smash Lord
I don't think Mario will -ever- "get the job done", nevermind "enough". A good Mario player's odds to win a single set against a skilled Marth, King Dedede, Snake, or MK player are slim enough; nevermind a whole high level tournament! Blame his grab range.

Rizk18

Smash Lord
Yeah sorry about that.

@Rizk
That's pretty cool cause you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of one of our worst matchups. So I'd take it that you don't have that much trouble against Pikachu when you play against it?
Against really good Pikachus I do but against the average Pikachu like Roller or Urban, I tend to well alot.

izic

Smash Cadet
I started off as a Pikachu main in Smash 64 because I was a big fan of pokemon back then. I was terrible at the game at the time but I wasn't the worst one among my friends. With him as my main, I went from being one of the worst to 3rd best. But losing horrendously every time to the best two among my friends(a Fox main and a Falcon main) made me feel like Pikachu wasn't that good of a character. So I mained Fox, practiced and felt he suited my playstyle and by the time Melee came out and we quit playing Smash64, I was 2nd best between my friends (Which was a big deal to me considering the skill gap between the best player, the 2nd best and everyone else).

Skill Gap among my friends before I mained Fox
Falcon main: 100
Fox main: 65
Mario main: 35
Pikachu main: 30
Me: 25
Mario main: 10
2nd Falcon main: 5

Skill gap after I changed main:
Falcon main: 100
Me: 70
Fox main: 65
Kirby main: 55
Mario main: 50
2nd Falcon main: 49
Mario main: 45
Pikachu main: 40

And during Melee's lifespan, I continued to main Fox. I fell back to 3rd best among my friends, and tied for 2nd later on and then eventually became best.
In brawl I still main Fox and Snake is my secondary for the tougher matchups, especially the Ice Climbers. I'm currently 3rd best(again lol) among my friends and I'm improving slowly but surely. But anyway thanks for reading my ramblings on my background as a Fox main.

SpliziT

Smash Cadet
Good post izic. I wish I had some friends that were actually good at brawl to practice with, so I have to rely on wifi for Matchup experience improving my reading skills which isn't so bad I guess. I plan to enter some tournaments soon cause I know I would do well.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Why am I a Fox main? That, my friend, I can tell you in one word: Tradition!
(Paraphrasing the immortal words of Fiddler on the Roof's Tevye)

I've been a Fox main ever since Smash 64, and nothing has yet been able to deter me from beating down other players via Fox's flying feet of furry fury.

Bakuhatsu

Smash Apprentice
Everyone on Brawl is pretty much super slowed down compared to Melee, so I felt really weird playing with such a slower pace on the ground, so I chose fox since he's bad-*** and was one of the fastest characters that I could find. One of my old friends also played Fox and I took him up from her. Though, when I want to have fun, Ike's a nice little buddy of mine LOL

*CT*

Smash Lord
Why am I a Fox main? That, my friend, I can tell you in one word: Tradition!
(Paraphrasing the immortal words of Fiddler on the Roof's Tevye)

I've been a Fox main ever since Smash 64, and nothing has yet been able to deter me from beating down other players via Fox's flying feet of furry fury.
Same reason basically; I also like Fox's speed, honestly probably wouldn't play Brawl if Fox wasn't there, way too boring.

RPK

Smash Lord
I was looking for another character since Jigs and Ganon both ended up not doing so hot in Brawl. At some point, I ended up with Fox because of U-tilt to Dair to U-tilt, and was like, that's pretty cool :O Dont think that works well anymore lol, but then it was awesome and I kept with him because of that shtick as well as being able to kill early because of U-smash. Did the whole laser game, and I seemed to do better with him than with other characters. At some point in november, when the game first came out, I was practicing double lasers. Someone then told me to do a SHTL, and I was like, seriously? You can do that? And when I did it, I ended up doing it on my first try, and did it multiple times in a row. From there I was hooked on Fox just because I could SHTL, while others around me werent able to. That plus being able to kill early, Pivot grabs, and just moving around quickly was what really attracted me to Fox. Love the character, and he keeps pulling me back to play Brawl whenever I get the chance. Cause of this character, I don't think I'm going to be dropping Brawl anytime soon.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I first started off i smash's early years with pika and then as I played against othreighborhood friends,I decided to try Fox out of curiousity from playing Star Fox 64.I fell in love strangely with his taunt of all other things after using USMASH which I became addicted to lol.I was already the top player among my friends.When melee came out,I immediately transfered with Fox and began later in the game's release noticing Competitive Gaming.I was only 15-16 at that time and really wante to compete so I tried to covince my parents to allow me to compete.They were against it and said like most parents would,"A waste of time."So I didn't get to compette in tournaments but always studied the MUs and guidlines to perfecting my Fox. (wavedash,waveshine,etc.)Eventually I reached a level beyond any of my friends and sadly became bored of fighting.When I went to MTSU my friend invited me to a gaming tourney for Halo and mentioned melee being apart of it.I was way excited and went.I entered scared as hell I'd get my *** handed to me found I was fighting on par with a lot of good players.I evn met my first rival who was a Peach player and won my first tourney.When brawl came,I stuck to my tradition with Fox because I've felt most comfortable with him and he's never let me down in any of my matches.

Top Bottom