• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link vs. Peach -- WHY??

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
According to this chart, Young Link is great against Peach.

Why?
Young Link ignores most of Peach's prime advantages. First off, Young Link's projectile spam is far superior to Peach's. Young Link's hookshot and projectiles allow him to keep his distance, thus avoiding Peach's deadly ground moves (primarily her down-smash). Young Link is also quick compared to normal Link, so he can keep up in regards to speed. Peach is light and becomes a very susceptible target to being killed off the top (a rare opportunity for Young Link) via his up-air or down-air. She also struggles with recovering since Young Link's primary kill method is edge-guarding; the projectiles make the edge rather uninviting for Peach. :)

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Because phanna doesn't play peach and doesn't know the match up..>.<

The only time a Y. Link player has ever beaten a pro Peach player was like 2 years ago at GS2, and that was against KrazyJones and no one had ever played a really good Y. Link before, so they didn't know how to deal with him.

Nowadays, priority eats through everything but bombs, and down tilt spacing just ***** him, plus Peach has better edgeguarding against him, and can combo him pretty easily.

That chart isn't gospel.

Just avoid his kill moves and Peach wins.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Can some one explain to me how to really get at Y.link who spams and evades 24/7, cause I cant deal with it and dont know what to do

In this type of match I cant do anything, which for ME, it makes that chart correct....

Jash

Smash Lord
Young Link does well against Peach for a few reasons. 1st reason is Peach basically only good close up, and Young Link is great from far away. 2nd reason is NOTHING Peach has goes through his bomb *only turnips but hehe good luck*. 3rd reason is once Peach gets hit my a bomb *which she really cant go through* shes brown bread, combo city for Young Link. The only real advantage that Peach has over Young Link is her Nair which goes through some of his moves but it doesn't really matter because your using projectiles most of times. I find it an extremely easy match up for me, but this does not mean that Peach cant win.

Chip.

you know what to do
The only time a Y. Link player has ever beaten a pro Peach player was like 2 years ago at GS2, and that was against KrazyJones and no one had ever played a really good Y. Link before, so they didn't know how to deal with him.
Or the times when Chu counter-picks with Young Link against Sastopher's Peach all the time at major tournaments such as MLG or Tournament Go.

That theory could've been applied to anyone of Young Link's match-ups at that time then according to you. I guess if back then if a pro-quality Fox wins against Young Link it means that Fox doesn't counter Young Link, right?

Nowadays, priority eats through everything but bombs, and down tilt spacing just ***** him
Young Link's spacing is better than Peach's; long distance or close. Heck, his d-tilt has better range and his about as fast as her's as well. His range is better than her's overall as well, so yeah good luck d-tilting me Xd.

Want to know what really *****? Young Link's dair/uairs. I never have so much fun when fighting charachter's unless their floaties. Bomb -> dair = too good? lol or maybe too BAD -_;;;;

plus, Peach has better edgeguarding against him, and can combo him pretty easily.
No she doesn't lol. Y Link edguarding = nightmare for Peach though -_-

Young link's range of his upB will go through any of Peach's edgeguard's, and while recovering, he can do mid-air reverse boomerang which, not only turns him around for a hookshot recovery, it can clash with turnips and stop turnip guarding. Yeah, start trying to combo me if you can catch me while I'm throwing crap at Peach.

Just avoid his kill moves and Peach wins.
Just avoid her killmoves and Y Link wins :)

Young Link destroys virtually all of Peach's air assaults with his projectiles. Catch my bombs? I'll throw at you a boomerang you/ nair you. Weapon cancel my boomerang? I'll throw a bomb at you.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Or the times when Chu counter-picks with Young Link against Sastopher's Peach all the time at major tournaments such as MLG or Tournament Go.

That theory could've been applied to anyone of Young Link's match-ups at that time then according to you. I guess if back then if a pro-quality Fox wins against Young Link it means that Fox doesn't counter Young Link, right?
Last MLG Sas was at was like MLG Seattle, which was the 2005 circuit; TG6 was what, 2004? When was the last time Chu beat a good Peach like Wife or Vidjo? How about some references that aren't 2-3 years old.

Also your analogy is incredibly flawed; Foxes still continue to beat Y. Links, whereas Y. Links fail to continue to consistently beat good Peaches.

Young Link's spacing is better than Peach's; long distance or close. Heck, his d-tilt has better range and his about as fast as her's as well. His range is better than her's overall as well, so yeah good luck d-tilting me Xd.
A well played and spaced Peach is better than Y. Link; she has turnips, autododge fsmash and down tilts, and the speed of FC nairs and such to eat through pretty much everything, not to mention well placed dairs eat through him from above.

Want to know what really *****? Young Link's dair/uairs. I never have so much fun when fighting charachter's unless their floaties. Bomb -> dair = too good? lol or maybe too BAD -_;;;;
Peach can sheild/toad/catch/dodge bombs, use her moves to dodge like float or parosol, and even if she gets hit with a bomb, she can make it hit close enough to hit both of them and then nair out, or DI far enough away to mitigate it's effects. All of his other projectiles get clanked by pretty much anything she has.

A fast peach can get in y. link's face and prevent him from pulling stuff, which means that his entire game is decimated. Try to get a dair or uair set up on a good peach outside of a down throw.

No she doesn't lol. Y Link edguarding = nightmare for Peach though -_-

Young link's range of his upB will go through any of Peach's edgeguard's, and while recovering, he can do mid-air reverse boomerang which, not only turns him around for a hookshot recovery, it can clash with turnips and stop turnip guarding. Yeah, start trying to combo me if you can catch me while I'm throwing crap at Peach.
If Peach recovers high, how can Y. Link hit her with her fabulous air dodge?

If he attempts to hookshot recover, peach can simply zdrop a turnip on his head like she can do vs Samus that attempt to grapple, which means that if he's too low to make it up on his up b alone, he's dead.

Peach can also down air his head while he's up bing if she's spacing correctly, or use her golfclub or a shffl'd fair to bop him on the head and trade hits.

As I stated before, if she eats through one boomerang at close range, she can get all the free hits she can muster.

Just avoid her killmoves and Y Link wins :)

Young Link destroys virtually all of Peach's air assaults with his projectiles. Catch my bombs? I'll throw at you a boomerang you/ nair you. Weapon cancel my boomerang? I'll throw a bomb at you.
Peach's kill moves out number Y. Links, and she has far more sheild options than he does; roll/dodge/grab/parosol/nair/jump/wd all hamper his ability to approach her in her shield. The only projectile that really works for him is bombs, which get blocked by turnips and the variety of moves i posted above. It simply becomes a patience and experience match up, and most Peaches don't know how to fight Y. Link... but once they do it's not a counter, merely a nuisance.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I wanna add something with Doh's post.Now, I cant fight Y.link, nor I know how to and if so cant do it very well, I lost all the time to my friend, and its seems nearly impossible for me to win, so I pretty much gave up that fight, My Peach just cant handle it. But I do know this much, his trump card are his bombs, and my Y.Link battles, he will come at me with a bomb to start his ****. Bomb to d-air, bomb to up air, everything that begins **** and combos begins with a bomb, z drop bombs, catch a bomb and bounces off shield, recatch it and throw it again, over and over, i happens with the bomb. Now I noticed when I get stocks off, its cause Y.Link used his bomb and im close to him, and then he runs like a lil girl and spams some more, but if you keep up with him, he is forced to fight you off. and small stages like Yoshi story are the way to go. I say, Upclose and evade his bombs/ make him waste it, recatch out of shield is the way to go, the rest is all Peach skills......Yet I just cant beat one so its no good for me.....

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'm not even gonna bother to read any of this.
Just know that

Projectile Heavy YLs > Peach

Especially on a big stage with low ceilings, theres not no way Peach can keep up to YL.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
A fast peach can get in y. link's face and prevent him from pulling stuff, which means that his entire game is decimated. Try to get a dair or uair set up on a good peach outside of a down throw.
I think you are forgetting that Ylink is a pretty fast character compared to Peach. He can easily evade an agressive peach.

Anyway, here are some videos of how a good ylink deals with a peach.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6BHHnk-VTKo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kCVUsH6k2Gg&mode=user&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7ojSFoQZFII&mode=user&search=

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Wow, I'm glad that you guys can find a recent example of a Y. Link beating a Peach of top caliber...oh wait, those vids are over a year old, when Kirbstir wasn't as great as he is now, and it's a match between a top tier player like Chu, vs someone of a lower level of skill.

Y. Link can only outrun for sometime, until he has to pull something out, and that's when he gets hit.

Y. Link players need to stop desperately clinging to wins that happened years ago and step it up and start beating Peaches if they want to prove themselves.

If Y. Link is such a peach counter, then why doesn't Chu use him vs Cort or Kei? When Chu's ICs didn't work vs Cort, he turned to Pikachu to get the job done.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Lol, you're talking like ylink solely relys on projectiles to fight.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I played Cave's YL in 2005 when he was at his prime as well as a few months ago. He still plays him when he runs out of options; like when he played him against Wobbles' ICs 2 months ago at a Dallas tournament. And I'm willing to bet that Cave's YL is better than yours.

And you guys are the ones who are arguing that his best asset is his projectiles.

Jash

Smash Lord
Young Link does excellent against Peach. I don't know about him being a Peach counter but he does very well. And to tell you the truth, from what i seen in those videos, Chu was not fighting Peach right. Theres a way better way to own her. Now i fear no Peach, Peach's are easy for me so if you don't believe that Young Link does well against her then play a good Young Link. You will find it a bit difficult to get up to him.

Laijin

Smash Hero
YL's projectiles ARE his best assests. Thats exactly what i'm saying. And Jash is right, Chu defiantly wasn't playing against Peach correctly.

Even though you play Caveman 2 years ago, Smash has definantly grown since then. So obviously Peach players have become better and so have YL players. And from what I continue to hear, Caveman doesn't play YL seriously anymore. He usually goes with Doc or whatever. :\

As long as your spacing is correct and you have good projectile mind games, you can beat majority of the peaches you come across.

D20

Smash Lord
DarknessOfHeart is 100% correct. Young Link has advantages over Peach, but overall, the match is in favor of Peach. Why don't any "pros" counter pick YL against Peach? It's not that great of a match up. Marth and Fox are so much more difficult for Peach.

Please guys... I know, as YL mains, we'd like a couple good match ups against the high tiers. Too bad YL is 17th on the tier list. Every high/top tier character has an answer to him.

Anyhow, I've play against some top Peach players... namely XIF and Mike Lenetia. I got wrecked.

---

Perhaps YL does have an advantage at lower levels of play. I've beaten both Camper Bob and Alpha Zealot in tournament sets. They are both very skilled players, but they are by no means "pros". I'd say, overall, I'm probably on their level of skill. With that said, I could see (in my matches with them) why some people might think YL counters Peach. Unfortunately, against top competition, Peach shows why she's high tier.

D20

Smash Lord
this agrument is simply going to go back and forth..both sides have valid points and neither is willing to give.
You can judge then.

Oh, and I've Young Link ditto'd Chu (it was a money match, for the record). He's a much better player than I am, but his YL is only slightly better. He would fair no better than I did against the top Peaches.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Me judge? lol..

I fight good peaches on a regular basis and a once a blue moon, a young link but I have no experience on either side as far as peach vs young link goes.

Besides, I main marth. I think young link is on the lower end of peach's worries.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
YL's projectiles ARE his best assests. Thats exactly what i'm saying. And Jash is right, Chu defiantly wasn't playing against Peach correctly.

Even though you play Caveman 2 years ago, Smash has definantly grown since then. So obviously Peach players have become better and so have YL players. And from what I continue to hear, Caveman doesn't play YL seriously anymore. He usually goes with Doc or whatever. :\

As long as your spacing is correct and you have good projectile mind games, you can beat majority of the peaches you come across.
Read my post again; I played Cave 2 years ago when he was at his prime, and also a few months ago. This means that I played the best Y. Link in the country at both his prime and and recently; also your own statement foils your argument - Peaches have learned how to get around Y. Link's projectiles and then just eat him alive once in his face.

Plus there's also the threat of stitches and bombs that Y. Link has to worry about.

Peach is just a flat out better character than Y. Link, tiers and tournament results prove.

<3 D20

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
DarknessOfHeart is 100% correct. Young Link has advantages over Peach, but overall, the match is in favor of Peach. Why don't any "pros" counter pick YL against Peach? It's not that great of a match up. Marth and Fox are so much more difficult for Peach.

Please guys... I know, as YL mains, we'd like a couple good match ups against the high tiers. Too bad YL is 17th on the tier list. Every high/top tier character has an answer to him.

Anyhow, I've play against some top Peach players... namely XIF and Mike Lenetia. I got wrecked.

---

Perhaps YL does have an advantage at lower levels of play. I've beaten both Camper Bob and Alpha Zealot in tournament sets. They are both very skilled players, but they are by no means "pros". I'd say, overall, I'm probably on their level of skill. With that said, I could see (in my matches with them) why some people might think YL counters Peach. Unfortunately, against top competition, Peach shows why she's high tier.
This Guy is the truth, and has spoken O_O

Jash

Smash Lord
Why don't any "pros" counter pick YL against Peach?
Because Marth is for cheap people and Young Link is for good people. Ill fight good Peach's and i did. Now if any of you Peach's don't believe then thats on you guys. I know what i know and if Peach is easy for me....then there must be a reason.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Theres always a character that makes the way easier...young link does well against peach is used correctly but doesn't peach have bigger problems to worry about than the occasionally good young link?..

I don't play her but I'd feel foxes and marths would be a larger problem than him.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Theres always a character that makes the way easier...young link does well against peach is used correctly but doesn't peach have bigger problems to worry about than the occasionally good young link?..

I don't play her but I'd feel foxes and marths would be a larger problem than him.
In my opinion, I beleive that all the hi tiers over Peach are a problem for Peach and give her a hard time and they are like played all the time, tournies the most, and we have Falcon. so thats like.........5 hard match ups already. Do Peaches really need anymore?........-_____-'

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Don't complain dark pch. You have a broken d-smash, a great throw game and have your own form of canceling..not to mention a scary projectile...and all I've got is this teeny tiny sword. *ahem*

Peach does well against sheik and samus, or so I thought. And she can chaingrab fox/falco/falcon so thats not too bad..

shes not got the short end of the stick in any matchup really.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Hmm, I've seen peaches do quite well against samus.

Don't use the word counter, I hear it too much. Ganon/Marth/Young link/Samus counter peach?..no, just someones opinion.

and my grab range isn't that much >.>

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Then you obviously don't know much if you believe that Samus counters Peach. It's even if not in Peach's favor...

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Thanks Darkness of heart, I thought I was relatively right on her being fine against samus. Lajin, that shuts down your agrument over samus but you didn't touch the other characters.

And marths hits do not have loads of knockback unless they are tipped...sounds like someone has issues with marth.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
No. That makes YL balanced. Cause his actual physical hits don't have much knockback.
Marths hits have loads of knockback, plus his sword eats projectiles.
Well, Marth isn't THAT cheap though. He's one of the more balanced High tiers. He COULD use some fixing though.
Besides, I wasn't going off of stats. I was going off playstyles. and Projectile spam is definitely a "cheaper" playstyle.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Well, Marth isn't THAT cheap though. He's one of the more balanced High tiers. He COULD use some fixing though.
Besides, I wasn't going off of stats. I was going off playstyles. and Projectile spam is definitely a "cheaper" playstyle.
Not at all. I'm one of the few projectile heavy YLs around(if not the only one >__>), if you watch my vids, you'll notice its quite easy to hit me when im throwing or pulling out a projectile. So your completly defenseless during that animation. Not "Cheap" at all.

With Marth, I can go on endlessly about how "cheap" he is. Same with all the other high tier characters(Except Falco, other than all of his moves being kill moves, hes quite balanced out with his crappy recovery).

Top Bottom