• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Social

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’ve decided to start a general Young Link discussion thread since there really isn’t any for Ultimate! Talk about anything you want as long as it pertains to Young Link!

I’m very glad he’s back and I’m very excited to try him out! I’ve always thought he was way cooler than normal Link, but could never get the hang of him in melee. Maybe this time I’ll have better luck!

PyroPancakes

Smash Cadet
Same. Young Link was my main in Melee, and since Link has gotten a redesign, Young Link seems like what Link once was. I’m going to be excited, because I think he will really be fun in Ultimate.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You know what would a been a fun new Down B, the blastmask instead of throwing bombs you blow yourself and anyone near you up

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Honestly thought it would be really cool to have Bombchu's instead. Would have created some really cool mind game moments. That or deku nuts to give him a stunning move

:135:

PF9

Smash Lord
Would the Majora's Mask Link Amiibo be used to unlock Young Link if the Amiibo unlock method proves true? It does portray Young Link after all.

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
I really hope they recycle all his voice clips. They're too iconic for me. Much better than the ones from Warriors. I know he's Young Link but he sounded too young in that game.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It's shown in his character trailer near the end when he is comboing Ganondorf

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I've thought of something, you know how the links were given the ability to charge their spin dash in smash 4, well it's safe to assume young link will have this aswell, but what if when you charged it up it can go to magic spin dash level one and if you do it long enough level 2 it would be a cool addition given that young link uses fire arrows, he could be the magic based Link.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I've thought of something, you know how the links were given the ability to charge their spin dash in smash 4, well it's safe to assume young link will have this aswell, but what if when you charged it up it can go to magic spin dash level one and if you do it long enough level 2 it would be a cool addition given that young link uses fire arrows, he could be the magic based Link.
That would be really cool! I like that idea!

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
What do we think Young Links final smash will be?

I would love to see him riding young Epona,
Transform into Deity Link
Or send in Navi to annoy the opponents to death.
Maybe a ocarina song that damages opponents.
Or a barrage of slingshots...

Or summon a cucko army

I'm aware we're likely just getting some dumb flurry of slashes, but it doesn't hurt to dream.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Most likely a dumb flurry of slashes as Fierce Deity Link.

Unless it's kept secret until the game is released, I reckon it will be revealed when the next Zelda newcomer is announced

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
We still don’t know Young Link’s final smash! I can’t wait to see it!

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Honestly a bit disappointed. All three links are different characters, but two of them share a FS. And the triforce slash is one of the least creative/fun options you could think of. For Toon Link something involving the wind waker baton, summoning a giant gale, or even his iconic forehead stab would be better. Young Link never even used/had his triforce of courage activate in his games.

It's little things like this that made me think they had to compromise in the end. Sure, the game's still great. But there are logical realistic ways in which the game could have been better.

On topic though:
I reviewed the Young Link gameplay from the treehouse (man do I wish the treehouse players were more proficient at the game) and Young Link seems nearly identical to his melee incarnation. Besides his rapid jab's new animation. Which overall is a good thing I think. At least for us Young Link fans.

His dash attack still has a lot of endlag, but launches at a nice angle for setting up gimps. Fire arrow looks decently fast. Bombs have a good hitbox, and flash to indicate their timer. Dair looks strong, and the animation definitely hints at a sweetspot at the start of the attack. His overall speed and nimbleness seems preserved from melee.

Hope to see better players picking him up in the Wendy's tour, but so far. I like it.

valtykeaton

Smash Cadet
Alright, I should be getting ready for work but I can hardly wait for Young Link so I took the time to watch a little of that 8 player Smash video to see what we can expect.

Dash speed is really nice. I haven't got units obviously but I'd say it's on par with Pikachu's or maybe Kirby's? Regardless it's quick.
Air speed is looking similar to Mario's. Which is really nice!
His nair's landing lag looks on par with Link's based on Pushblock's analysis video.
Still has his 1-2-3 jab where he stabs along with the rapid that we're all familiar with.
Dash attack is basically the Melee one and did about 11%. Seems kinda laggy but has a low launch angle, good for edge guarding perhaps?
Up air has really low landing lag I was quite shocked and did a beefy 16%.
And obviouly his Final Smash is triforce slash.

Right that's all I've got so far. I hope to come home to much more information about this little dude!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Is anybody here going to have a chance to play Smash bros at one of the north America tours?

If so, could you please check what his alts are like? Are they just simple colour swaps or are their a few references to other Zelda characters here and there?

Also what is his Boomerang like? We've yet to see that in proper action

valtykeaton

Smash Cadet
Is anybody here going to have a chance to play Smash bros at one of the north America tours?

If so, could you please check what his alts are like? Are they just simple colour swaps or are their a few references to other Zelda characters here and there?

Also what is his Boomerang like? We've yet to see that in proper action

I'd also love to see Young Link's alts. More so I want to see how far his teather recovery goes. Regardless, based on his air speed I think he'll have a good enough recovery.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Also need to see if Young Link's Milk taunt heals him.

I can accept him not getting Fierce Deity as a final smash. Sadden but accepting.

But I swear after all then fan fare they have put into every single other character if Young Link's Lon Lon milk doesn't heal him....

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice

Which skin will you play as?

I like both blues, and the dark skin. But may stick to the traditional green tunic.
I would have liked to see his black skin from melee, where just his tunic is a very dark black, but his skin and eyes remain normal. My younger self always imagined him as a ninja that way. But I can see that this makes more sense, and it might be fun to whip out the dark Young link from time to time.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe

I like both blues, and the dark skin. But may stick to the traditional green tunic.
I would have liked to see his black skin from melee, where just his tunic is a very dark black, but his skin and eyes remain normal. My younger self always imagined him as a ninja that way. But I can see that this makes more sense, and it might be fun to whip out the dark Young link from time to time.
I’m VERY glad they brought back purple, but I’m kinda sad it’s not very light like in melee... Oh well!
I’ll probably play as purple, orange, and light blue!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Firstly, while I find most these costume pretty much hat I expected, the first one I dislike atm. I can't tell if it's meant to be marron or brown but it just doesn't look great in that portrait imo. Not sure why Young Link didn't get a red tunic like Link and Toon Link.

Now to actually answer the question, I will personally be sticking to either OG green, the silver one (I honestly really like that one) and depending on either it is actually purple/indigo or just a navy blue, the 2 alt colour. The Pink and Light blue also look really cool.

I’m VERY glad they brought back purple, but I’m kinda sad it’s not very light like in melee... Oh well!
I’ll probably play as purple, orange, and light blue!
Am pretty sure that purple one is actually just navy blue
1541253986510.png

Though it is quiet hard to tell in the lighting

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Firstly, while I find most these costume pretty much hat I expected, the first one I dislike atm. I can't tell if it's meant to be marron or brown but it just doesn't look great in that portrait imo. Not sure why Young Link didn't get a red tunic like Link and Toon Link.

Now to actually answer the question, I will personally be sticking to either OG green, the silver one (I honestly really like that one) and depending on either it is actually purple/indigo or just a navy blue, the 2 alt colour. The Pink and Light blue also look really cool.

I meant the one all the way to the right at the top! It looked purple, but it may be the light pink I wanted after looking at it more!

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
They could've kept the exact same slash sequence as Triforce Slash and just turned him into Fierce Deity, but no, we can't even have that. Triforce Slash was always one of the least creative Final Smashes, and the fact that we've got two of them when both characters have better canon choices is just sad.

Zelda continues to be done dirty in Smash. Nonetheless, I'm still very excited to have my Melee boy back. I'm really liking that light blue costume too.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice

The colors are changed since it's a photo of a screen. I think the brown/marron tunic will definitely appear more dark red in the game.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I meant the one all the way to the right at the top! It looked purple, but it may be the light pink I wanted after looking at it more!
Actually you may be right, it might be actually be a violet but because of the off screen photo it just looks a lot more pink. If that is the case I will definitely consider it along with the silver.

The colors are changed since it's a photo of a screen. I think the brown/marron tunic will definitely appear more dark red in the game.
Yeah having a second look the colours do look a bit off so I'll have to wait until I play the game or in game scans are released

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Young Link's gameplay!
He's everything I wanted him to be!
Young Link gameplay

Edit Edit: it got uploaded so I changed the link. It's all good now

We have a zairless Z-drop. Autocancel short hop arrows. And look at the arrow speed! And the range! And nair into grab. I'm just soooo happy!

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
More people need to play him at this Demo, it feels like only 2 people have played him, I need more young link gameplay

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link's gameplay!
He's everything I wanted him to be!
Young Link's gameplay

We have a zairless Z-drop. Autocancel short hop arrows. And look at the arrow speed! And the range! And nair into grab. I'm just soooo happy!
The :ultyounglink: sends me to a missing page :(

More people need to play him at this Demo, it feels like only 2 people have played him, I need more young link gameplay
You should look over at Reddit. One post about his Fire Arrows and everyone and their mothers start claiming his OP

It's hilarious seeing this change from "Who the hell wants Young Link back" to "OMG his so BRoKEn"

Though I do agree with you. Very few people (even few who are half decent) seem to be playing Young Link

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
The :ultyounglink: sends me to a missing page :(

You should look over at Reddit. One post about his Fire Arrows and everyone and their mothers start claiming his OP

It's hilarious seeing this change from "Who the hell wants Young Link back" to "OMG his so BRoKEn"

Though I do agree with you. Very few people (even few who are half decent) seem to be playing Young Link

Can people stop trying to claim characters are op before we've had time to properly test out the game yet lol

Top Bottom