• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You WILL get sympathy from Ike.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Play his games. Then you'll see why.

On a related note, is anyone else bothered by the fact that a crapload people play as Ike (and Marth), but only a few have actually played a Fire Emblem game?

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I don't think it matters if you've played the games or not. I discovered several Nintendo characters while playing Super Smash Bros for the first time, and have gone on to love their series' - thanks to Smash.

Besides, what about ROB and G&W? If you had to play the game to be "qualified" to play them, pretty much everyone would be screwed.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, people used Roy and Marth in Melee, and that led to thousands of people trying to figure out where the animelooking swordspeople came from. They found out it was from Fire Emblem. A bunch of them probably started to download Fire Emblem ROMs, and spread the popularity of FE further. And thus, Fire Emblem: PoR was released outside of Japan. And we have Ike.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that people who haven't played FE like playing as Ike and Marth in Brawl.

btw, he has no sympathy for Sephiran :x

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
I play Ike, and used to play Marth in Melee...only reason I haven't played a Fire Emblem yet is I'm waiting for the FE Monshou No Nazo translation to be finished so I can play Book 1 and 2...failing that, there is the FE1 remake for DS coming out...

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Play his games. Then you'll see why.

On a related note, is anyone else bothered by the fact that a crapload people play as Ike (and Marth), but only a few have actually played a Fire Emblem game?
Two words, FOX & FALCO! don't you think It's a little late to be asking about this.
On a side note I would just like to say that I picked PoR about the same time I picked up melee, so take that all you posers!!!!

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Two words, FOX & FALCO! don't you think It's a little late to be asking about this.
On a side note I would just like to say that I picked PoR about the same time I picked up melee, so take that all you posers!!!!
i dont get it why fox and falco?

and i actually played fire emblem because of melee maybe people will get PoR atleast i hope they do because if they get radiant dawn before it it probably wont be anywhere near as good it would be like what the hell is with ike and this knight?

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace

and i actually played fire emblem because of melee maybe people will get PoR atleast i hope they do because if they get radiant dawn before it it probably wont be anywhere near as good it would be like what the hell is with ike and this knight?
That, and, if they play on normal, they will be murdered. FE10 is MUCH harder than FE9.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Well, on Normal, if you abuse the save system properly, it's really just a test of patience. Ike failed to get that Speed point for the third time in a row? Reset from your conveniently placed save point. (It also might have something to do with me and getting the Uberest Ike ever in FE9. >_>)

Now Hard is where the real fun begins...

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
People should play who they like playing as.

Besides, Mart is in a Japan only game so it's pretty hard to get your hands on.

ForteEscape

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't have discovered half the games I fell in love with if not for smash.
The Mother series, Metroid series, and the FE series. I never would've found out about them if not for Smash.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Those fire emblem games are fun. I beat the 2 with Ike on hard. The black knight fight was neat and BK shoulda been in brawl. Not one of those other smoes like lucas or diddy but THE BLACK KNIGHT. Hes so awesome with his armor and sword. He definately would be the slowest and strongest character in the game maybe with a sword attack like kirbys B-up just minus the jump. He would be VERY slow but kill at like 40 % easily with a smash attack. He would kinda be like a tank slow but powerful and much kooler than a tank too I mean hes THE BLACK KNIGHT. And when I say BK for brawl I dont mean burger king.

MASTER719

Smash Apprentice
I played PoR and felt they weren't true to Ike. Apparently they had no sympathy for HIM.

I WANT HIS LORD COSTUME

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
is anyone else bothered by the fact that a crapload people play as Ike (and Marth), but only a few have actually played a Fire Emblem game?
Lucas would like to have a word with you. XD

I WANT HIS LORD COSTUME
Maybe when Nintendo starts on it's inevitable downloadable content binge.

Nintendo said:
You payed $49 bucks for the game, now pay more money to get the rest of it! Yes, we now have additional alternate colors/costumes for each character at 200 points a character, or simply pay 5000 points to get the whole set!
To get myself back on topic, the reverse is sort of true for me. I was never able to really latch onto the star fox or fire emblem boys back in Melee which may have been in part of being unfamiliar with their backgrounds. In brawl I find myself throwing away that bad habit and adopting a number of characters, though I still have more fun playing the characters I know and love.

-Slash-

Smash Cadet
I really want to play path of radiance (the one for the cube) but it's so hard to find :(

Duker

Smash Journeyman

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Because, if you've ever been to a melee tourny, you'll walk in and see either fos or falco on 99.99999% of the tv screens. I'll be willing to bet that most space animal players didn't play star fox. So this is not a new issue. There have been poser players ever since melee. There are poser players in just about every fighter you can think of. Anyway, PoR was uber popular, so it makes sence that a lot of people would pick Ike up after playing PoR. For all the noobs that don't know what PoR is, well they probly just picked up Ike because he's big and strong and is good against other noobs. I think once everyone sees that playing with Ike well is a lot harder than expected, they will start flocking to one of the usual space animal type characters.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Because, if you've ever been to a melee tourny, you'll walk in and see either fos or falco on 99.99999% of the tv screens. I'll be willing to bet that most space animal players didn't play star fox. So this is not a new issue. There have been poser players ever since melee. There are poser players in just about every fighter you can think of. Anyway, PoR was uber popular, so it makes sence that a lot of people would pick Ike up after playing PoR. For all the noobs that don't know what PoR is, well they probly just picked up Ike because he's big and strong and is good against other noobs. I think once everyone sees that playing with Ike well is a lot harder than expected, they will start flocking to one of the usual space animal type characters.
and cause his sword is made of GOLD. and yah i remember that now i havent been to many tournaments but it was full of them and i guess i didnt rly think about them not playing starfox because ive played it. ive played most games of the characters in brawl except for maybe game and watch and rob dont know if mario kart ds counted though.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Good point about the blinging sword. Maybe THAT's the reason noobs sometimes flock to Ike, lol

Ark098

Smash Cadet
tel me abt it. if ur nt from the US is even harder. noone sells GC games in NZ anymore and those who own it are too stingy to sell it. had to get an NTSC version from the states.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Actually, I started playing Ike because I liked his Brawl character. First time I tried him I was like, dude this guy is slow. But in the end I killed with an utilt. I was like, hey that move was pretty fast, so I tried him again, I found that Nair and QD had decent speed behind them as well. And I killed with so many different moves already, I was like, well, it will probably be a pain in the *** to ever actually win with this guy, but it will also be amazing. So I thought I'd keep him in mind as a nice 2nd.

After a while, I starting liking him more and more, mostly as I started beating guys like Wolf and Metaknight. I didn't actually expect anyone else to play him. I thought I would be the laughing stock of the boards. :p

So I've never played a FE game, even though they seem really cool. But right now, I'm not gonna buy one as I have Brawl to play anyway. I'll probably buy the entire series later on.

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
I've played POR..Ike owns...just because he can show his emo when fathers dies, you try to call him a wimp....GWAN!!!!

Ikepwnsyou

Smash Cadet
Ike was my favorite since the beginning...and i hadnt played i fire emblem game before....so what? I dont have to know who he is to pwn with him. But yeah, NOW ive played raidiant dawn.

Royblazer

Smash Apprentice
I got into Fire Emblem thanks to Melee. I kept looking at the Roy trophy and its Fire Emblem - Japan Only status. Then lo and behold, Fire Emblem comes out in America! So ever since then, I've played the FE games.

But a person doesn't necessarily have to play the game of origin to play the character in Brawl. But if they talk about the character and state the character's origin as SSB, then they need to get their facts checked and play. >_>

Too bad it isn't canon to the actual series. I'd love a fast AND powerful Ike. That'd be... mind boggling. Speaking of which, I should probably beat Radiant Dawn sometime, I stopped playing it randomly. >.>

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I got into Fire Emblem thanks to Melee. I kept looking at the Roy trophy and its Fire Emblem - Japan Only status. Then lo and behold, Fire Emblem comes out in America! So ever since then, I've played the FE games.

But a person doesn't necessarily have to play the game of origin to play the character in Brawl. But if they talk about the character and state the character's origin as SSB, then they need to get their facts checked and play. >_>

Too bad it isn't canon to the actual series. I'd love a fast AND powerful Ike. That'd be... mind boggling. Speaking of which, I should probably beat Radiant Dawn sometime, I stopped playing it randomly. >.>
It would, however, be interesting to have a SSB original character. Although its a little off topic, a Brawl specific character, modelled in the same way as Galleom or Duon, could easily become the most popular in the series.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I'd love a fast AND powerful Ike.
A fast Ike with less powerful moves would be fine too. Anything to make him less predictable.

Removing his startup lag from some moves is also great. Usmash and fair come to mind.

roy and marth are the reasons I got into FE, etc

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
Originally posted by The Halloween Smash
It would, however, be interesting to have a SSB original character. Although its a little off topic, a Brawl specific character, modelled in the same way as Galleom or Duon, could easily become the most popular in the series.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Halloween. One of the things that makes SSB so great is that it features characters from some of the most interesting and original series out there. Each of the characters in the game comes from a unique franchise which provides an atmosphere, setting, and plot line in which the character is developed. Samus isn't cool because of her (admittedly cool) character design but because of how she is developed and portrayed in Metroid games, and because she represents them. As such, SSB doesn't have its own unique atmosphere, setting, or plot line (you cannot convince me SSE counts as a compelling plot line). Instead, it is more of a gallery of existing franchises. For this reason, a SSB original character would really not be very interesting, even with the most original character design in the world because that is all it would be - character design.

In fact, it is my personal opinion that all of the original Brawl characters used in SSE were a big mistake. Why would they take the trouble to throw together such forgettable bosses as Duon and Galleom (case and point - I remember neither) when they could have created a much more satisfying and memorable experience by using more bosses and villians from the series represented? Forget Duon and Galleom - where were Kracko, Metal Sonic, and Kraid, to name a few? The 18 or so varieties of primids could have easily been replaced with approximately a gazillion different enemies from the different games represented. I know there were some characters used, like Rayquaza and Mecha-Ridley, but there could have easily been way more.

Just had to get that off my chest. Sorry to rant there. :p

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I was actually more dissapointed in the series type bosses more then the originals, like Duon. Meta Ridley AND Ridley were pushovers. Meta Ridley on hard difficulty was harder then any other boss in Metroid Prime. Friggin blinding me everytime he dashes at me.... Anyways lol, I totally agree on the primid thing. Theres hundreds of possible enemies from series they could have put in. Was just one iron knuckle (from LoZ) too much to ask for? Or the castle siege stage... Dont even get me started. Motorcycles, in fire emblem? Come on Sakurai...

Top Bottom